• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sora's Sacrifice

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey

I was thinking lately...

What did Sora honestly hope to achieve by stabbing himself with the Dark Keyblade? I want to say the reason was "because without Kairi's Heart, the Keyhole would be incomplete."

Right. So, Sora wanted to sacrifice himself to free Kairi to open the Keyhole... so that it could be closed.

Oh, really? By who, Sora?

Why would Sora turn himself into a Heartless so that the Keyhole would be completed if nobody was there to seal it?
If anybody can clarify, it'd be great.

Erauqs

He just wanted his boo to be O.K. He spent all of the game looking for her to find her all comatose and shit. Then he realise he can save her so he does. He loves that girl . It's...so...sweet...T.T

KHBassist

Because that was a large dose of SoKai being shoved down our throughts. And because it looked like it caused the Dark Keyblade to come apart so the other PoH got thier hearts back.

Key of Valor

The Professor
Perhaps the only thing he cared about was getting Kairi back, and that was the only way how.

Maybe Sora just wasn't thinking things through... he seems like the kind of person to do that.

Maybe Sora didn't realize that he would become a Heartless. Maleficent got stabbed with it and she turned into a powerful dragon. Maybe Sora thought the same thing would happen to him.

Or, better yet, maybe Kairi's heart took control over Sora's vessel the same way Xehanort's heart controled Riku's vessel. Then she manipulated Sora to walk over to the Keyblade, pick it up, and stab himself. Sure Sora would lose his heart, but Kairi's heart would be able to return to her vessel and wake up.

(and yes, the last three weren't serious suggestions)

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Quite frankly, this is a stupid question. Sora's a selfless kid, and he thought doing so would release Kairi's Heart, which would make it back to her Body and Soul, lying nearby, which it did.

Reverie

Bronze Member
Awards
He did it in order to save his friend Kairi. Sora's the kind of person who will rescue in anyone in need of help. :tongue:

Awesome Ansem

He did it to release Kairi's heart; not anything to do with the keyhole being opened or closed. And he also didn't care what happened to himself. I feel weird for having to explain this. I mean, it's not like this is my interpretation of what happened, this is what happened. Sora figures out that kairi's heart is inside him, and says so, before stabbing himself. Clear as day.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
Sora cares about Kairi. That was the only of her heart getting back in her body. He took a leap of faith for someone he truely cares for,
End of story.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Sora may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but he's selfless. He puts others before himself (maybe not all the time) so he does not hesitate to save Kairi even at the risk of losing himself.

He also might've believed that Kairi had some all powerful PoH power that would activate once she was whole again. Then again, probably not, since we can probably count all the times Sora's used brain throughout the story on our fingers. He follows his heart, not his head.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I was thinking lately...

What did Sora honestly hope to achieve by stabbing himself with the Dark Keyblade? I want to say the reason was "because without Kairi's Heart, the Keyhole would be incomplete."

Right. So, Sora wanted to sacrifice himself to free Kairi to open the Keyhole... so that it could be closed.

Why would Sora turn himself into a Heartless so that the Keyhole would be completed if nobody was there to seal it?

It was more of a "look, drama!" scene, but it still adds up.
There's no doubt the element of saving Kairi's Heart.
There is also, as established in-game, the need to balance out the Keyhole otherwise something really bad would happen, before they ever got around to locking it up.
Also keep in mind that Maleficent didn't quite become a Heartless when she had it used on her. Arguably, Sora thought he'd still be around after that happened.
And of course there's the faction I belong to that thinks Sora wanted to disappear on some level since, let's face it, the world was coming to an end, there were no traces of the King, the Keyhole was about to blow up, he couldn't save Kairi otherwise, and not only did Riku fight him constantly, he now properly lost him since the kid was possessed. There's only so much a 14 year old can take without wanting to end it all with a bang.

He did it to release Kairi's heart; not anything to do with the keyhole being opened or closed. And he also didn't care what happened to himself. I feel weird for having to explain this. I mean, it's not like this is my interpretation of what happened, this is what happened. Sora figures out that kairi's heart is inside him, and says so, before stabbing himself. Clear as day.

Yes. That is why, in-game, they didn't get around to bothering with it until after Sora turned away from Kairi to deal with the Keyhole, right? And they reached the conclusion that was the way to go about it for the Keyhole, right? I think that if Sora was that worried about Kairi, he'd have argued against taking care of the Keyhole first and reached first for the Heart Unlocker.
And that's why you need to "explain this". Because SoKai isn't canon and that scene, which so many use as a flag scene for SoKai - doesn't really have to be SoKai.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
Yes. That is why, in-game, they didn't get around to bothering with it until after Sora turned away from Kairi to deal with the Keyhole, right? And they reached the conclusion that was the way to go about it for the Keyhole, right? I think that if Sora was that worried about Kairi, he'd have argued against taking care of the Keyhole first and reached first for the Heart Unlocker.
And that's why you need to "explain this". Because SoKai isn't canon and that scene, which so many use as a flag scene for SoKai - doesn't really have to be SoKai.

Couldn't it just be that Sora didn't realize what he needed to do to free Kairi's heart until that point? The way the scene goes, Riku disappears, Sora's worried about him, and then Donald and Goofy interrupt to draw his attention to the Keyhole. It seems to me that Sora simply hadn't put together the fact that stabbing himself with the Heart Unlocker could free Kairi's heart until after he'd already tried to lock the Keyhole. And, once he did figure it out, he wasted no time at all in acting on it despite both Donald and Goofy telling him to stop.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Note I said "doesn't really have to be SoKai", not "isn't SoKai". You can see it that way, yes. Or, you can see it like I presented it as well - if saving Kairi really took precedence over all else, he wouldn't have just left her there and turned to try and unseal the Keyhole - he'd have stomped his foot and said they needed to take care of her, much like how he was obsessed with Namine in CoM and refused to hear anything aside from it. And then you have everything else tying up to possibly lead Sora to want to stab himself.
Can it be taken as a SoKai scene? Oh hell yes, if not that, then what will.
Does it have to be a SoKai scene? Hardly, especially with Rikunort trying to use the Heart Unlocker on Sora, and Sora managed to connect the dots enough to tell him he wouldn't be getting Kairi's Heart. Also, he knew well enough what had to be done once they stopped and turned to think about it.
Arguably - Sora didn't want to go the distance to release Kairi's Heart so long as what was on stake was just her. But once the Keyhole not-blowing up was dependent on him using the Heart Unlocker on himself - that's when he said "ok, I'll stab myself with it".

And that is why I learned to adore, ironically, how they treat SoKai. If you wanna say it's there, you can. If you don't, however - there're mountains upon mountains of plot reasonings to nullify the romantic value of anything that went on there.
Brilliant, Nomura. Now you just keep on basing SoRiku in ways that no one can take differently than what you show us on screen, being that Sora reached for Riku's ass, and we'll be just fine and just dandy.

I was thinking lately...

Well sora is sora he don't think shit tough.

State

Awards
Sora was surprised that someone else could wield the keyblade beside him (Riku), so he thought that if someone connected to him like Riku could wield it, what about Kairi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back