• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Spanish films?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Alright, so this year for my A2 Spanish exam I've got to do a presentation on a Spanish film. Now the tutor's recommended Pan's Labyrinth and while that's a brilliant movie, I don't wanna be one of 20 people doing their presentation on it, simply because the examiner would have heard it all before and it's easier to get bad marks since he/she can compare it with other Pan's Labyrinth presentations. I was considering doing The Devil's Backbone (which is also by Guillermo del Toro) which is considered to be a kind-of prequel to Pan's Labyrinth, but I want to get a good scope of Spanish theatre. I'm also considering some of Almodóvar's stuff but I'm really not sure what? If any of you could list any really good Spanish films (dialogue has to be completely Spanish so it could be Mexican films, Puerto Rican films, Cuban films, etc. etc.), I'd be grateful.

Same also goes for French. Now while I am French, I am clueless as to what film to talk about in my oral exam. Obvious one is Amélie, but I don't want to do that one (though it is good) because again, 20 or so people will be doing that. I was considering À Bout de Souffle but I don't really know that much about it and am not confident in my ability with it. In class we are studying two films -- one of them is called La Haine and the other is Les Choristes, which we are not allowed to talk about in the exam. I was considering Beau Père and Le Souffle au Cœur but the themes seem too heavy (incest/paedophilia) and it's not something I wanna crush my chances of getting high marks with.

Films must have English subtitles.

Here are the films I am not going to be doing:

Name | | Lang | | Director
Pan's Labyrinth || Spanish || Guillermo del Toro
The Orphanage || Spanish || Juan Antonio Bayona
Beau Père || French || Bertrand Blier
Le Souffle au Cœur || French || Louis Malle
La Haine || French || Mathieu Kassovitz
Les Choristes || French || Christophe Barratier
El Bola || Spanish || Achero Mañas
Amélie || French || Jean-Pierre Jeunet
The Dreamers || English || Bernardo Bertolucci

Here are films I am considering doing:

Name || Lang || Director
The Devil's Backbone || Spanish || Guillermo del Toro
Los Olvidados || Spanish || Luis Buñuel
Viridiana || Spanish || Luis Buñuel
À Bout de Souffle || French || Jean-Luc Godard
Le Scaphandre et le Papillon || French || Jean-Dominique Bauby
Aurore || French || Luc Dionne
Y Tu Mamá También || Spanish || Alfonso Cuarón
Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles || French || Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Le Ballon Rouge || French || Albert Lamorisse
Les Bons Débarras || French || Francis Mankiewicz
L'Auberge Espagnole || French || Cédric Klapisch

Please note that these tables will change quite frequently. I'll be watching up to two movies from the 'considered list' every weekend and some of them may be moved into the 'not doing' list.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Why not try The Orphanage? It seems horror, but the film is in spanish.

This is an exam. I need a film that's got some depth to it other than people getting hacked to pieces and whatnot.

And for French, I had a Film in mind but I forgot the name. It does have a Incest sort of feel to it. But it's a mix of English and French-oh wait.. nevermind about that film then.

Think you're thinking of Le Souffle au Cœur. A mother & son have an incestuous relationship.

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
for spanish get something by Luis Bunuel, maybe Viridiana or Los Olvidados

for french The Diving Bell And The Butterfly is fanfuckingtastic

each of these would probably give you huge points content alone

Wintertide

Sp00ky GuRl
Awards
Aw crap I was going to say Pan's Labyrinth too.
ermm Y tu mama tambien. Well thats what my mom said.
French ermm hmmm.... Its like an indie film but its mostly in english and its like NC-17 so you have no hopes there. Its called the dreamers i believe.

Trag

Bronze Member
French, do A Very Long Engagement. It's by the same director as Amelie, Jean-Pierre Jeunet. Or do The Red Balloon :)

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com

Desidarata

For French do this movie Aurore it's a really sad moive though, and I'm not sure it would be school appropriate. :p
And I don't know about Spanish, I can't even speak it. (Gawd I'm the worst hispanic out there xD)

mz. eggsy

http://j.mp/jIANdM
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
yesm
wwwww.jpg

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
Can you use Québécois movies for your French oral?

Yes, I can. Anything that is completely spoken in French with English subtitles. I don't actually need the subtitles being French myself, but the teacher likes to go over the movies we've watched and it helps them if they have subtitles just to make sure I've got everything as accurately as possible. That means that the film could be from any Francophone country.

Kasrinok

Hmm.. Pans Labrinth, such a great movie! The whole thing is in spanish and it is so great.. I actually wrote a short story about it for school.

Ams Tram Gram

Pique et pique et col?grame
Yes, I can. Anything that is completely spoken in French with English subtitles. I don't actually need the subtitles being French myself, but the teacher likes to go over the movies we've watched and it helps them if they have subtitles just to make sure I've got everything as accurately as possible. That means that the film could be from any Francophone country.

In that case, I'd perhaps recommend the obscure film Les Bons Débaras, by...uh I forgot who it was. Personally, I hated every second of it, but you may be able to get something out of it.

Also, just to let you know, the language is very...jouale. I'm not sure what kind of French you speak, but if you're not that familiar with Québécois French you may have some trouble following.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
In that case, I'd perhaps recommend the obscure film Les Bons Débaras, by...uh I forgot who it was. Personally, I hated every second of it, but you may be able to get something out of it.

Also, just to let you know, the language is very...jouale. I'm not sure what kind of French you speak, but if you're not that familiar with Québécois French you may have some trouble following.

I just Googled it and the director is Francis Mankiewicz. About a woman taking care of her simple-minded brother and something about a rebellious daughter? That's what IMDB is giving me. I'll add it to my list. Thanks, man.

I speak standard French, I suppose you'd call it? My parents and I are from Paris so I've grown up speaking standard French as well as English. Some of the Quebecois dialect might be a bit difficult for me to understand but I'll get the gist of it. Also, English subtitles will help me. Thanks a lot.

Ams Tram Gram

Pique et pique et col?grame
yeah that`s it. The movie focuses especially on the relationship between the mother and daughter. You should be fine with subtitles (I have the same problem as you except it's with French from France, lol). And glad I could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back