• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

[SPOILER] KH2.8 discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
But at this point BC did nothing. For those who play the game it did give a peek into what the foretellers are up to, but this was not supposed to be super-size in-game cutscene to UC or chi because honestly put that in the actual game then. Don't include it to a completely different game-pack because it makes no sense. If the plan was to show us what the foretellers were like personality wise, they could've found MUCH better ways to do it.

Showing the faces of the foretellers honestly wouldn't have been a big thing. I'm pretty sure they'll bare some resemblance to the characters we already have (or if they continue the Ventus-Vanitas line they won't give a damn and just copy the faces of Terra, Aqua, Ventus, Riku, Kairi 2 random people). Kingdom Hearts was never good at creating original characters, since they like utilizing the copy-paste procedure and then give it a terrible plot-reason. :'D

Not revealing who the traitor is wouldn't have been a problem... if they didn't market the whole thing based on that. Teasing everyone with revealing who the culprit is and then denying it is one of the biggest stupidity a storyteller could do - because it makes him unreliable as hell. (then again Nomura has never been reliable has he?)

They don't put that in the actual game because the game is supposed to be solely from the view of a regular Keyblade Wielder who isn't privy to the private and internal dealings of the Foretellers.
If a Foreteller appears in Browser-Chi or Unchained it is always related to the Player avatar or those close to him/her like Ephemer or Skuld, the only exception to this is one part of the finale of Browser-Chi where Ava confronts Luxu.
I'd say the plan was to show us the Foretellers and build in multiple teases for both KH III (Master Xehanort's Keyblade, the box) and Unchained.

If it is a big thing or not cannot really be said at this point though as it is all conjecture.

Did they tease it really like that though? With actually implying a reveal of the culprit?

From the first press release for 2.8:

So no, it wasn't marketed as HD cinematics and yes, we were all expecting a movie because they told us it would be a movie.

It certainly says that, but also that it connects to the earliest parts of the series' history, showcased in the mobile game Unchained X.
That part alone already sounds like a thinly veiled advertisement for Unchained to me.

I think my biggest gripe with Chi Back Cover is that I figured the point of them making it in the first place was to have it act as a substitute for playing Chi/Unchained Chi, at least to some extent. As in "If you are unable/unwilling to play Chi for yourself, here's the lore you need to know in order to understand the revelations that will take place in KH3."

While it serves that purpose to some extent, I don't think it entirely works because without prior knowledge of browser Chi, Back Cover doesn't do much for you. I guess the big issue is Back Cover was marketed more as a "Answers will be revealed!" type thing and instead we got what felt like an underhanded hour-long advertisement for Unchained Chi.

I still think Back Cover is lovely regardless. It was very cool of Square to put something Chi-related on PS4 for us to enjoy.

Many people figured that it would be like that and while I haven't the earliest interviews concerning Back Cover at hand right now, if I recall correctly it might have been advertised as this to a certain extent.
For example, I do not remember Nomura ever outright stating or teasing that the traitor would actually be revealed in Back Cover, but only that it is a focal point of Back Cover and that the issue about the traitor will be addressed, and that the movie did.
The Foretellers faces being revealed was never ever even teased in any official material I think, it was just a widely spread expectation/hope among parts of the fandom.

From what I took from the latest Nomura-interview (I think it was Famitsu after the 2.8 release) though the connections of the events of Back Cover to KH III are rather indirect and the focal points are No Name/Goatblade and that weird box while the direct and more tangible connections to KH III are addressed in Unchained Season 2 (which is more or less underlined by the fact that Maleficent and Ventus will appear in some form).

I'm personally quite at a loss as to why Nomura choose to split the whole lore concerning the X[chi]-era into three different parts with Browser-Chi, Unchained and Back Cover to begin with.
They've made such an effort in the last three years or so to address the huge (and rightly criticized) spread around of the different parts of the storyline with the Remasters and yet there they are doing it yet again with the way how stupidly the presentation of the story and lore of the X[chi]-era is handled.
Since Unchained X is soon to deviate heavily from the original Browser-Chi (Maleficent and Ventus do not make any appearance in the Browser version at all, neither does the Cinderella world) and the Browser-version is discontinued, watching the cutscenes on Youtube or read the dialogue scripts on sites like this one are the only way to look up the story parts unique to the Browser-version and arguably see parts of the actual Keyblade War.
I remember that in the beginning it was stated that X[chi] would be the very first true spin off title that has nothing to do with the overall narrative and story of the main series, then it came around that parts of the Foreteller's prophecy are in fact important to KH III after all and shortly after that it was suddenly stated that both X[Chi]'s story and KH III's story are developed parallel to each other and the whole thing is fully canon as well as relevant to the overall narrative after all.

Agreement on this one, without X[chi]/Unchained, Back Cover really serves only as an introductory episode for the Foretellers, the Master and that weird box. The only bigger answers lore-wise Back Cover gives is revealing the purpose and extra "ability" of Xehanort's Keyblade and that it was Foreteller Gula who started the escalation of gathering Lux like crazy and not using it for its intended purpose (the greed for light part the legends of the war speak about) causing the other Unions to take up the "challenge" and do so as well.
So yes, in a way, Back Cover is one giant teaser and extra advertisement for Unchained X and possibly KH III to a lesser extent.

I think this too, that's why I say it being "a total waste of time" isn't exactly the right description.

Muke

whatever
Awards
The only thing I'd thought we'd see were the events of X through the perspective of the Foretellers.
I thought we'd see Aced and Invi fight (which we did)
I thought we'd see why Gula knows about the Lost Page (which we did)
I thought we'd see the Luxu-Ava scene full this time. Why. Did. This. Not. Happen.
This is the only thing I hoped for, really.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The only thing I'd thought we'd see were the events of X through the perspective of the Foretellers.
I thought we'd see the Luxu-Ava scene full this time. Why. Did. This. Not. Happen.

That's what I more or less also expected, no actual distinct confirmation/reveal of a single traitor and also no Foreteller-faces.

The movie not covering the whole span of all the events of Browser-Chi up to the "bell ringing for the war" and instead ending abruptly shortly after the Dandelion-speech given by Ava is actually what aggravated me the most about it.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I kinda expected more events to see in Unchained in the cutscenes so I'm sort of upset by it. EDIT: Sure the cutscenes can go in depth with what goes on which I do like, but I kinda expected there would be a bit more, Idk really.

Muke

whatever
Awards
That's what I more or less also expected, no actual distinct confirmation/reveal of a single traitor and also no Foreteller-faces.

The movie not covering the whole span of all the events of Browser-Chi up to the "bell ringing for the war" and instead ending abruptly shortly after the Dandelion-speech given by Ava is actually what aggravated me the most about it.
Agreed.
Personally, I never cared about the Foretellers' faces or a traitor-reveal. I just hoped for this to lead up to the Keybladewar (or at least up to the bell scene, like you said) and then end because of Season 2. Something like "To be continued… in Unchained" or so.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I thought we'd see Aced and Invi fight (which we did)
I thought we'd see why Gula knows about the Lost Page (which we did)

Once again, I agree.
I did mention my complaints towards the end: the Luxu-Ava confrontation could've been there, and we kinda deserved at least one HD shot of the War.

7th_heaven

Awards
Nomura 's New artwork ^^
C4TTliiVMAECiJ7.jpg

palizinhas

Awards
Did we ever find out why that one scene fit more with 0.2 than Back Cover?

I feel like it's just there because since most people bought 2.8 for 0.2, seeing something relating to BC in 0.2 makes it more likely for them to want to check it out as well. It's certainly not there because it fits, it comes out of nowhere, has no explanation, and doesn't link to anything that comes after in 0.2

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I'm not surprised the Luxu/Ava (/more events from KHx) wasn't shown. It goes up the point that the games diverge so that the movie can fit both KHx and KHUx.

Did we ever find out why that one scene fit more with 0.2 than Back Cover?
As far as we know, it doesn't lol. They likely only put it there to get people who jumped into 0.2 and didn't care about BC to be intrigued to watch BC. It definitely belongs more as a post-credit sequence in BC that's for sure.

edit: ninja'd.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm not surprised the Luxu/Ava (/more events from KHx) wasn't shown. It goes up the point that the games diverge so that the movie can fit both KHx and KHUx.

Mh, I haven't considered that.
Fair enough, that's another regret I won't pin upon the movie itself.

Hirokey123

Awards
I actually think I know why that scene from BC is in 0.2's opening. Because it's a scene of the world being swallowed by darkness and all of 0.2 takes place in worlds swallowed by the darkness.

Also was anyone jarred by the revelation that bright light behind Mickey wasn't Kingdom Hearts but was actually Destiny Islands?

notnow123487

Awards
Buffer
buffer
buffer
buffer

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

You know this reading places Back Cover even more as just a giant teaser for Unchained X rather than an alternative for those who can't or don't want to play the Online game?

Not to mention that the story parts unique to original Chi are more or less "officially" lost and inaccessible (not counting fan summaries and cutscene collections) by the fandom outside of Japan since I can't recall Square retaining anything official to the Browser version.

Buffer
buffer
buffer
buffer

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Buffer
buffer
buffer
buffer

Spoiler Spoiler Show

The Dark Mamba

Awards
Rewatched Back Cover again for the 2nd time hoping to enjoy it more than the first time I saw it. Nope. The movie still sucks. It's waste of time of mostly repetitive scenes of masked-doofeses bickering with each other and no where near enough satisfying X[chi] mythology or reveals explored.

The only thing I really liked was the characterization and VA for the foretellers. I'm still not sure what to make of the MoM's personality. Not sure Deadpool-in-a-black coat was the appropriate way to go.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Rewatched Back Cover again for the 2nd time hoping to enjoy it more than the first time I saw it. Nope. The movie still sucks. It's waste of time of mostly repetitive scenes of masked-doofeses bickering with each other and no where near enough satisfying X[chi] mythology or reveals explored.

The only thing I really liked was the characterization and VA for the foretellers. I'm still not sure what to make of the MoM's personality. Not sure Deadpool-in-a-black coat was the appropriate way to go.

While I do like Back Cover to an extent and understand exactly why there weren't any big great mythology reveals given as apparently many expected to be despite Unchained still running, I can't help but crack up on

scenes of masked-doofeses bickering with each other

I mean really, is that an accurate summary of 80% of Back Cover or what, lol.

The remaining 20% are filled with the Master of Masters being a happy troll from North to South pole, diabetes-inducing Ephemer cameo, reveals about the creepy "Eww-eye"-Keyblade and a damn fucking mysterious box.

LingeringVanitas

Got the game finally yesterday. 40 bucks brand new from amazon. Can't play it yet because my bloody mother is hogging the tv. D:
Plan on playing it a bunch today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back