• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

[SPOILER] KINGDOM HEARTS Union X DARK ROAD Completion Commemorative Q&A

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yesterday, KINGDOM HEARTS Union X Dark Road received its Version 5.0 update which put KINGDOM HEARTS Dark Road into offline mode and finally released the long-awaited conclusion of the game's story.

Many mysteries were answered while plenty of new ones were created, leaving many fans with a ton of questions about where KINGDOM HEARTS' story is going in KINGDOM HEARTS Missing-Link and beyond. 

Series Creator Tetsuya Nomura was prepared for everybody's confusion, so a Q&A was prepared in advance for fans to read after finishing the finale to Dark Road. 

Goldpanner has translated the Q&A and can be viewed down below. Also, consider buying Goldpanner a ko-fi!

First of all, my apologies for the wait.

I wanted to make it bigger, and there were parts I wanted to tell in more detail, but as this size of this installment physically went over capacity, I have depicted the essentials. I hope you enjoy it - both the completion of "Dark Road," and the gameplay, which we worked on quite a bit to make the difficulty level more balanced and easier to play. Also, the plot interweaves with future developments in "Missing-Link" and "KHIV," so keep that in mind.

Below, I have created a supplementary Q&A for this installment - if you're interested, I'd love for you to read it.

*This contains heavy spoilers for the end of the story. Be warned if you have not yet finished the game.

"KINGDOM HEARTS Union X DARK ROAD" Completion Commemorative Q&A

Q1: In previous titles, we saw the Xehanort who leaves Destiny Islands as a young man. He seems a lot younger in DR.

A1: DR presents the correct version. For previous games, we used the young man model we already had as a catch-all symbolic representation of "his youth," in order to save cost modeling a young boy version. In KHIII, they were specifically split. I'd like you to interpret it as the symbolic representation becoming a rich one. 

Q2: Will there be any fix patches? 

A2: Yes. We've discovered some bugs, such as the battle backgrounds displaying the wrong background, and there are a few lines of dialogue fixed at the last minute to be replaced - these will be addressed in an upcoming patch called version 5.0.1. I am very sorry. Also, there are scenes where an easily understood form of the Player is shown in Xehanort's final battle and final reflections, but as it could be misinterpreted in a way I didn't intend, we will be updating how it is represented sometime next month too. 

Q3: You said the mystery of why Xehanort went bald would be answered, but it ended up being unexpectedly straightforward. 

A3: Yes, it wasn't really a very important issue, after all. It's just that people were wrongly theorizing that it fell out after many years, so I wanted to correct the record that he shaved it. It also wasn't important that the Queen of Hearts didn't remember Xehanort. That's just how she is. 

O4: Several Emblem Heartless appeared in the worlds of DR. Timeline-wise, Emblem Heartless weren't first created until after KH, right? 

A4: The reason Emblem Heartless appear in worlds of the past is an important part of the setting of "Missing-Link," so it will be explained in the future. 

Q5: Who is the blue robed figure who appears in the DR epilogue? 

A5: Someone who bears the heart of the Player from UX. Later the part where it talks about a "second life" will be withdrawn. And then, it will be about how after its final destruction, that heart will once again melt into the heart of another person.

Q6: Places called Scala ad Caelum appear in both DR and Missing-Link. Is it the same place? 

A6: It is the same place. It looks different because it is a different time period: as per the "multi-tiered city" label, the city is structured in tiers, where new districts are built on top of the old ones. 

Q7: The story didn't go so far as to show when Xehanort becomes completely devoted to the darkness. What of this? 

A7: That's true. But, I feel I showed the circumstances that led him to the start of that dark road. I also got to do the part I wanted to show the most: the relationship between him and Eraqus. So, I think it's possible to guess what happened from there. 

Q8: There were a lot of interesting characters among his classmates and upperclassmen. Can we look forward to seeing them again? 

A8: There were a lot of characters which I am sad to restrict to one game, and characters who made their exits without getting to do much talking, which I was disappointed about. But, as mentioned above, I wasn't able to go deeper due to issues regarding size limitations. I feel very sorry about this. I think it would be very difficult for most of the characters to appear again in a future game. But, there are some possibilities. I've also thought it could be good content to touch on in a book or something. 

Q9: What did Master Odin mean at the end when he spoke of a "teacher" and a "cruel fate"? 

A9: Master Odin himself once had a master who taught him, naturally. His master entrusted him with a certain duty - parts of this align with that of the blue robed figure. This will be revealed in detail in Missing-Link, which depicts a later period. 

O10: Xehanort's motherly figure looked a lot like Skuld. Is it her? 

A10: No, but she is connected to Skuld. Missing-Link is also a story about bloodlines, you see. 

Q11: In this game, we learned about Xehanort's bloodline. What about Eraqus? Previously we learned he is descended from the very first master. Do the two share lineage? 

A11: Sorry, but this is also a Missing-Link topic. I will say they don't have the same parents. 

Q12: When can we next expect news on Missing-Link? 

A12: CBT (Closed Beta Testing) is first, we are currently making preparations. I have to balance the time-frames of other titles, but first of all, we do plan to revive the KINGDOM HEARTS Union x Twitter account as a Missing-Link account, so please make sure to follow. 

Q13: Lastly, will Xehanort appear again in a future title? 

A13: The Dark Seeker Saga, which hinged on Xehanort, is now over. However, this doesn't have bearing on whether he will or won't appear. At this point, it's up to whether there's a good opportunity. 

—Thank you. 

KINGDOM HEARTS Series Director Tetsuya Nomura 

2022/08/26

okhi12

Awards
Q13: Lastly, will Xehanort appear again in a future title?

A13:
The Dark Seeker Saga, which hinged on Xehanort, is now over. However, this doesn't have bearing on whether he will or won't appear. At this point, it's up to whether there's a good opportunity.
Of course, Nomura is not going to get rid of Xehanort. I'm starting to get tired of him. It doesn't help that I found Dark Road to be a rather boring story.

A5:
Someone who bears the heart of the Player from UX. Later the part where it talks about a "second life" will be withdrawn. And then, it will be about how after its final destruction, that heart will once again melt into the heart of another person.
Does "its final destruction" mean his death in Dark Road? If so, it looks like the Player is Sora theory gets another chance. I hope that's not the case, I'd prefer he is reborn as Riku or someone else. The blue robed figure
Spoiler Spoiler Show
I'm pretty sure there's no need for spoiler tags in this thread but just in case.

I'm not sure I understand... is it because the questions with the O are precisely the numbers 10 and 4? The 104 building will appear in KH4 but that's a very random reference here.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Of course, Nomura is not going to get rid of Xehanort. I'm starting to get tired of him. It doesn't help that I found Dark Road to be a rather boring story.

Does "its final destruction" mean his death in Dark Road? If so, it looks like the Player is Sora theory gets another chance. I hope that's not the case, I'd prefer he is reborn as Riku or someone else. The blue robed figure
Spoiler Spoiler Show
I'm pretty sure there's no need for spoiler tags in this thread but just in case.

I think it’s just saying what the current text will be replaced with and the final destruction is referring to Player’s death in UX. Instead of the blue robed figured being a straight reincarnation of the Player, it will make it clear Player’s heart more or less joined with the blue robed figure’s. I don’t think it will imply that Player went on to join yet another heart after BRF’s death.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm not sure I understand... is it because the questions with the O are precisely the numbers 10 and 4? The 104 building will appear in KH4 but that's a very random reference here.
It doesn’t necessarily have to make sense right now if it is a clue. I’m thinking it just means Xehanort is gonna be in Quadratum since the artwork has him in Miyashita Park.

light2000

Awards
I think it’s just saying what the current text will be replaced with and the final destruction is referring to Player’s death in UX. Instead of the blue robed figured being a straight reincarnation of the Player, it will make it clear Player’s heart more or less joined with the blue robed figure’s. I don’t think it will imply that Player went on to join yet another heart after BRF’s death.
but in the response he says that the heart will once again join the heart of another person it would not make sense that he says again unless its the second time

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
It's a still a bit strange that we got a prequel to BBS and still don't know why Xehanort became so hardened with the world and why the light-hearted Eraqus became so stoic and fanatic. Player reincarnating as another Player in Missing Link is the cruelest thing that was revealed in Dark Road.

Barrett

Awards
A5: Someone who bears the heart of the Player from UX. Later the part where it talks about a "second life" will be withdrawn. And then, it will be about how after its final destruction, that heart will once again melt into the heart of another person.
I may sound boring for this, but I hope that whoever the Player reincarnates into next, since they already reincarnated into the Player from Missing-Link, is like… another Player from any upcoming game that includes customizable Players.

I was one of those people that didn't like the Player-Xehanort reincarnation theory and actually preferred if they reincarnated into the Player from Missing-Link, so I'm really glad that actually turned out to be the case.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I may sound boring for this, but I hope that whoever the Player reincarnates into next, since they already reincarnated into the Player from Missing-Link, is like… another Player from any upcoming game that includes customizable Players.

I was one of those people that didn't like the Player-Xehanort reincarnation theory and actually preferred if they reincarnated into the Player from Missing-Link, so I'm really glad that actually turned out to be the case.
No, I totally agree. The only known character I'd be happy to learn is Player''s future incarnation would be Yozora, since Yozora is also technically a playable video game character.

Xagzan

Awards
Q1: In previous titles, we saw the Xehanort who leaves Destiny Islands as a young man. He seems a lot younger in DR. A1: DR presents the correct version. For previous games, we used the young man model we already had as a catch-all symbolic representation of "his youth," in order to save cost modeling a young boy version. In KHIII, they were specifically split. I'd like you to interpret it as the symbolic representation becoming a rich one.

I have absolutely no idea what this means. Anyone?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I have absolutely no idea what this means. Anyone?
They were able to make a proper Kid Xehanort model for KH3 as opposed to just using the existing Young Xehanort model to cover the entirety of his youth like they did in previous games, even when he should look significantly different.

okhi12

Awards
It doesn’t necessarily have to make sense right now if it is a clue. I’m thinking it just means Xehanort is gonna be in Quadratum since the artwork has him in Miyashita Park.
Thanks! I didn't pay much attention to the artwork and I would have never been able to tell that's Miyashita Park, but now I see that structure in the background.

SuperNova

Awards
So Xehanort will continue to exist in some form and is more than likely in Quadratum now, I hope that means I can get my wish of Sora and Mini-Nort duking it out in a parking lot somewhere.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I wonder if this Youngnort in Quadratum will be the same Xehanort we've know, or an entirely different person in the sense that he has no knowledge of his other forms.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I wonder if this Youngnort in Quadratum will be the same Xehanort we've know, or an entirely different person in the sense that he has no knowledge of his other forms.
I could see him being a different person. If he is another incarnation maybe this Xehanort won't even be a antagonist to Sora this time. I could be wrong but I'm not getting any evil vibes from that picture we see of him

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I could see him being a different person. If he is another incarnation maybe this Xehanort won't even be a antagonist to Sora this time. I could be wrong but I'm not getting any evil vibes from that picture we see of him
Me neither! He seems innocent and completely ignorant to whatever his other versions have done. Which begs to question what role he might have in the story. I'd wage he'll guy Sora from time to time whenever he feels lost as to where he should go next. Maybe a navigational character of sorts

Nukara

Awards
Can I ask a question about Master of Masters?
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:
Back