• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

SteamOS, Steam Machines, and Steam Controller

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 36435

No, I don't expect revolutionary. I expect something that isn't fundamentally pointless to a large group of people. A large portion of that large group who has helped Valve become the company they are today while dealing with Valve's constant disappointment when it comes to actual games.

A Linux based OS, some rebranded hardware and a controller aren't really meeting any expectations I had out of Valve's big announcement and are completely underwhelming because I don't care for them and they probably won't mean much anyways.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
cad-20130930-3a879.gif

Relevant.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I think it's a good idea because it's turning something complicated and expensive into something that's cheap and easy (so they claim so far)..

wait what

do you think that valve's hardware is going to magically be comparable to the hardware you'd need in a solid gaming rig for a cheaper price? like victor said, this isn't going to break barriers; this is literally just valve building a computer for you. and honestly, if you were willing to do some hunting, you could probably find the same parts they're putting in these steam machines for a cheaper price tit for tat.

this is nothing spectacular. this is valve trying to make easy money off of mediocre machines.

A Linux based OS, some rebranded hardware and a controller aren't really meeting any expectations I had out of Valve's big announcement and are completely underwhelming because I don't care for them and they probably won't mean much anyways.

p much

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Steam Community :: Group :: Steam Universe

The 300 prototype units will ship with the following components:
GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

These are specs for the prototypes Valve sent out. There's no way this will be very affordable. At all.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
also how does a 450w 80plus gold sustain a titan or 780 AND an i7

no fucking way

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I imagine they'll be subsidized somewhat, like how Amazon does the Kindle. They'll probably expect the people who do go for Steam Machines will wind up spending a pretty penny on Steam itself. Also,

And to be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users. It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase - those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package. Many others would opt for machines that have been more carefully designed to cost less, or to be tiny, or super quiet, and there will be Steam Machines that fit those descriptions.

There's gonna be a lot of different versions of Steam Machines. Something different for everyone.

D

Deleted member 36435

haha wow hardware i could already have been buying for the past few years if i wanted it
so amaze

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
TL;DR Valve is building PCs for people and sticking Linux on there basically for the average person. I remember hearing about it around a year or so ago. Still eager to see how it turns out, given that its open source could equal users working with it to release packs/more /whatever for those who aren't proficient with that kind of software. It could, given time, bring Valve a decent weight as a PC + OS producer, more or less; something only Apple and Google, as far as I know, do.

Diddly that controller though

And the streaming thing just sounds like a nice gimmick that average consumer won't be able to afford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back