• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
@Oracle Spockanort pointed something out to me: It's crazy that Square Enix is aiming to release two single-player Final Fantasy games, Forspoken, and give us news on the next Kingdom Hearts game within 2022 (unless FFXVI miraculously releases 2021).

Plus Endwalker, NEO: TWEWY, FFVIIR Part 2, all the Dragon Quest projects, Project Triangle Strategy, GotG, more Avengers expansions, new Tomb Raider, and more on the way. It’s wild how much output they have in development right now and seems like half of it involves Nomura in some capacity.

Willow A113

Awards
Plus Endwalker, NEO: TWEWY, FFVIIR Part 2, all the Dragon Quest projects, Project Triangle Strategy, GotG, more Avengers expansions, new Tomb Raider, and more on the way. It’s wild how much output they have in development right now and seems like half of it involves Nomura in some capacity.
Neo twewy is this year

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Neo twewy is this year
Note that I said those titles are on their way… Didn’t say they were coming next year. Many of them I mentioned are coming this year. I was pointing out that there are so many works coming down the pipeline from Square Enix in general.

Back on the topic of this game, does it seem like there’s no a lot of enemy reaction to attacks or is it just me? From the bit I’ve played and what I’ve watched, it doesn’t feel like the attacks are really connecting that much and the weapons seem just phase through enemies with certain moves. Maybe that’s typical for this game style, but I wish it looked and felt more like I was actually doing something to the enemies.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Did anyone who played the demo get the slightest inkling that this title was supposed to be ironic, tongue-in-cheek as some have suggested - besides the jokester pink-haired-Prompto's lines?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I have an inkling that FINAL FANTASY XVI is gonna be a Holiday 2021 title. If rumors about the game being more far ahead in development than we were shown are true, then it's a possibility. Otherwise, SE is gonna have a very busy 2022
It was aiming for 2021 before COVID so unless they got hit hard and had to push things back (I think XIV expansions were set back by 3 months?) then it could
have slipped to 2022.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It was aiming for 2021 before COVID so unless they got hit hard and had to push things back (I think XIV expansions were set back by 3 months?) then it could
have slipped to 2022.
Hmm... Good point. Maybe it's an early 2022 title. Perhaps Spring 2022

Awards
Well, if anything, I'd say that the best bet to make sure this game turns out as best as it possibly can is the feedback the testers of the Trial Version give once the demo is working properly. That feedback will greatly help with making the game be of utmost quality, that I'm sure!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Did anyone who played the demo get the slightest inkling that this title was supposed to be ironic, tongue-in-cheek as some have suggested - besides the jokester pink-haired-Prompto's lines?
No, not exactly. I think it is aware enough to realize it’s a ridiculous isekai but not enough to see itself as tongue-in-cheek. Like this isn’t a WoFF situation. I think they genuinely want this game to be taken seriously xD

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Here are some Stranger of Paradise: FINAL FANTASY Origin updates:

...the demo will be available until June 26, 2021 and feedback will be accepted until July 2, 2021.

• players will have more party members available than the ones currently in the Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin demo.
  • while other characters can join your party you can only ever a party limit of three characters.
  • Players can switch these characters out.
  • players will be able to change the equipment of their party members.
  • Certain characters can only use certain types of equipment.
  • Jack on the other hand will be able to equip any and all weapon and armor sets.
  • Director Daisuke Inoue also shared that a total of eight different weapon types will be available in Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin.

And to the surprise of no one...
  • Creative Producer Tetsuya Nomura goes on to state that this game is not a continuation of the first Final Fantasy game.
  • In the interview he states that while Stranger of Paradise is based off of the first entry in the Final Fantasy series, the crux of the story is that Jack is a stranger to this new world. Nomura describes the world of Final Fantasy as a “Paradise,” and Jack is therefore a stranger in that land.
  • the Shrine of Chaos that is available during the limited time demo will differ from the one that will appear in the complete game.
  • Nomura also explained that Jack’s appearance, specifically his starting outfit, was designed to clearly state that he is not from the world of Final Fantasy.
  • Additionally, due to Jack and the Warrior of Light sharing a similar goal, Nomura mentions that they had to design these characters to be completely different from the actual Warrior of Light.
  • Additionally, he does state that Jack’s name has a special meaning and that the reasoning for it is spoiler related.

I presume that Jack's name being the key to the plot is that, perhaps, someone realized that there's a time loop going on with Garland and the Warriors of Light and they decided to "jack" someone into the time loop in order to end it. Maybe it was Matoya the Witch?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Here are some Stranger of Paradise: FINAL FANTASY Origin updates:

And to the surprise of no one...
  • Creative Producer Tetsuya Nomura goes on to state that this game is not a continuation of the first Final Fantasy game.
  • In the interview he states that while Stranger of Paradise is based off of the first entry in the Final Fantasy series, the crux of the story is that Jack is a stranger to this new world. Nomura describes the world of Final Fantasy as a “Paradise,” and Jack is therefore a stranger in that land.
  • the Shrine of Chaos that is available during the limited time demo will differ from the one that will appear in the complete game.
  • Nomura also explained that Jack’s appearance, specifically his starting outfit, was designed to clearly state that he is not from the world of Final Fantasy.
  • Additionally, due to Jack and the Warrior of Light sharing a similar goal, Nomura mentions that they had to design these characters to be completely different from the actual Warrior of Light.
  • Additionally, he does state that Jack’s name has a special meaning and that the reasoning for it is spoiler related.

I presume that Jack's name being the key to the plot is that, perhaps, someone realized that there's a time loop going on with Garland and the Warriors of Light and they decided to "jack" someone into the time loop in order to end it. Maybe it was Matoya the Witch?
@Taochan brought it up but all of their names are religious/biblical in reference.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
@Taochan brought it up but all of their names are religious/biblical in reference.
Hmm... I made a quick Google search, but if the references are any good, then "Jack", from the Hebrew "Ya'akov", in its Greek form "Iakobos" could mean "Supplanter". A "supplanter" could be "someone or something taking the place of another". Maybe Jack is taking the place of the Warrior of Light? What I'm speculating right now is that someone may have become aware of the time loop and decided to end it by replacing the involved parties in it: the Warriors of Light. What better way to have events play differently than by changing its actors?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
So Jack and possibly Jade and Ash are likely from our world then? I'm kind of burnt out on isekais but this being the case for a FF title it makes it a bit more interesting.

Noivern

Awards
I'm not going to take any bets on the story at the moment. I'm just claiming Jack as my new boyfriend. Having a non-twink Final Fantasy protagonist that is also not a teenager or very young adult is extremely refreshing to me.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
He's called Jack because you could only have 4 letters in your name in FF1.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
There’s also the term “Jack of all trades, master of none.” So it’s fitting that Jack can use any of the weapons, but likely isn’t as skilled in each individual one as the other characters who gave set jobs.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Oracle Spockanort said:
No, not exactly. I think it is aware enough to realize it’s a ridiculous isekai but not enough to see itself as tongue-in-cheek. Like this isn’t a WoFF situation. I think they genuinely want this game to be taken seriously xD

Yeah, I'm not picking anything up in the way of subtle/clever humor. I feel like, collectively, we get things, and most of us would have picked up on that from the trailer alone. Of course, now I kindof wish it was going in that direction.

Noivern said:
Having a non-twink Final Fantasy protagonist that is also not a teenager or very young adult is extremely refreshing to me.

Also, the MAIN protag and not some swirly-spectacled, spoony-bard-hating geezer party member. His design kindof reminds me of Cor, but yes, we need more FFVII Cid chaps up in here. Same goes for middle-aged women. Have we even had one of those in an FF party? Honestly, old crone Unei is the only one that comes to mind and she is, again, old af. Not hating, but the older characters are always generally comically aged close to their deathbeds. Maybe Edea..?

Back