• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sudden Question

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdomkey96

Omniversally considered a badass.
More and more I see people being pretty selective of when they believe in 'God.' Seems as if these days people who believe in a 'God' only 'acknowledge' It when they have some problem.

My question, however, is mostly for non-religious people. I want you to think about a situation: You're at school/work/home when you get a call. Someone tells you that the person you love the most in the world be it your mom/sibling etc. has been involved in a freak accident. You rush over to the hospital to the sight of this person bleeding profusely. The doctor comes out of the operating room only to say that there's no more he can do and that the person will most likely die.

Despite the fact that you do not believe in God, will you just for a second whisper a small plea to this being, begging for your loved one's life, in the hope that somehow this person is saved? Will you for a second forget everything that has led you to your disbelief? Will you hope beyond hope that this being is listening?

As I write this I think the answer for most will be 'yes.' However, I may be wrong. Respond guys.

Pirates

Yeah. I have noticed this too.
People have grown up with religion in the home and in media.

People who do this dont really think too hard about the religious aspect of their life, unless it helps them.

very differentiable
Awards
No, it's a waste of the ample time i could spend with said person. I'd rather talk with them, say goodbye, try to comfort him/her.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Any non-religious person tries it not because they believe there is a God who will answer their prayer. They do it because they have nothing to lose by doing so, and on the off chance that a God does exist - and on the even more-off chance that he listens to you - he will have the power to fix things. It's not a move of confirming or admitting to faith. It's a move of desperation.

Pirates

It isnt a waste of time I think.
Even I, an atheist, find comfort in prayer like thoughts. I feel better to talk to myself, saying something like "please be ok".

Even at night, when thinking about my day, I will wish to myself something some times. I dont think a god is listening, I just think that it helps order my thoughts and it is relaxing.

So, I can see how people do this.

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
I am religous but I have indeed seen non christians, even hardcore athiests, accept prayers and say them in a time of great hardship. It is indeed something interesting

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
No. If god wanted to do anything for her, he would've not let her get in a damn accident. At this point, I'm saying fuck god even more.

Only person I could or would be begging to irrationally is the staff/doctors.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
Only person I could or would be begging to irrationally is the staff/doctors.

While more logical than praying to God, it's about as hopeless. The staff do their best in any situation, and dealing with an emotionally wrecked patients and relatives, though part of their job description, will throw them off their A-game. This knocks on to subsequent operations and patients, resulting in even more mistakes made or lives lost in the operating room. A stressed surgeon is a bad surgeon.

Like ▽ said, spending that time with the dying patient is your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back