• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Everyone is Here! | December 7th 2018

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Which is your favorite Smash Bros?

Votes: 44 11.3%
  • Melee

Votes: 115 29.5%
  • Brawl

Votes: 231 59.2%

• Total voters

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I'm not a Fire Emblem boy but I don't hate Byleth, conceptually. I think the pacing of the reveals really ended up killing Byleth. I mean... Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo Kazooie, King of Fighters, and... Fire Emblem.

It's like a string of 4th of July fireworks going off, punctuated by throwing a wet pie in the air.

I think Byleth is fine, but it's not surprising that people are underwhelmed. It doesn't feel like the finale of the Smash Pass, but it is.

LUCKILY!!! Six, SIX new characters in the next pack! Crazy, dude. I think one of them is definitely a Pokemon, but all bets are off for the rest. There is no precedent anymore. They could be Nintendo, third party, Sony, Microsoft... Anything in gaming is possible now. I want DOOM GUY!!!!

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Another fucking FE character, I turned the stream off 5 minutes in.
AHJJAJHAJHAJHAHJAHJAHJAHJJAAHHJA

I don't remember anyone ever saying that though? It was suspicious when a lot of them were "Super Smash Bros. X specific game instead of series", if you think about it.
I mean, it makes sense, seeing as how I doubt they would use, for example, a general Persona logo, since I doubt we'll see Persona 1/2 characters in Smash. Maybe 3 and/or 4 when they re-release/remake those games on current gen consoles.

- another sword fighter is slightly disappointing, but Dante would've been the same thing??
Sora is also technically a sword fighter.

Lol much ado about nothing. Hopefully after this people will ground themselves to expect the worst.
They may be saving the big guns for the second pass. Who knows. Though in my ideal scenario, finishing this pass with Dante and announcing the next one with Sora would have been bonkers on the same level of the Joker reveal in TGA.
I think the pacing of the reveals really ended up killing Byleth.
Correct. And like you said, you had 3rd party reps, and now a 1st party?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Sora is also technically a sword fighter.
The problem stems from the overall sameness of their playstyle. 4 of the FE characters have the same moveset while Ike shares a few moves if not the whole set. Additional they are 3 Links all have the same moveset. That much redundancy is what makes people groan at the sight of swordsmen. In contrast, you don't see as much complaints with Metaknight, Pit, or Cloud because they were more unique playstyles. Sora & Dante wouldn't get as much hate.

Last edited:

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
As a troll move, it's actually kind of brilliant. Sakurai, as Smash Director, has to be aware of both the anticipation of DLC fighter #5 and how the oversaturation of anime sword fighters has become a running gag in the series; only a madman would intentionally orchestrate a collision between those two forces. Once you get past the salt, it really is hilarious.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
BTW, is it weird if my main reason for wanting Sora in at this point is mostly for the inevitable Organization mii costumes that'd follow?

I wish they'd up the mii fighter cap, I don't know who to delete to make room for Cuphead now.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
BTW, is it weird if my main reason for wanting Sora in at this point is mostly for the inevitable Organization mii costumes that'd follow?

I wish they'd up the mii fighter cap, I don't know who to delete to make room for Cuphead now.
No, I imagine they'll get the costumes. I actually don't have a hard time picturing a meeting between Sakura and Nomura. Hell, if it happens, they would design the entirety of Sora's pack in a day.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Brawler - Coat with Axel's Chakrams

Swordfighter - coat with keyblade

Gunner - coat with Xigbar's arrowgun

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

I wonder which songs would enter a KH pack. Hopefully Simple and Clean, Hikari, Sanctuary, Sanctuary Instrumental, Tension Rising, Darkness of the Unknowns, Fate of the Unknown, Face My Fears, Don't Think Twice

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv

as cool as this would be i wouldn't expect weapons, merely organization coats for all mii fighters to use lol

I wonder which songs would enter a KH pack. Hopefully Simple and Clean, Hikari, Sanctuary, Sanctuary Instrumental, Tension Rising, Darkness of the Unknowns, Fate of the Unknown, Face My Fears, Don't Think Twice
judging by cloud and hero, while i'd love a lot of songs i'm sure we'll only get a couple and there won't be any remixes ;_;

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
judging by cloud and hero, while i'd love a lot of songs i'm sure we'll only get a couple and there won't be any remixes ;_;
Nintendo would have an easier time stuffing in songs from Disney films at this rate.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Joker's pack included remixed tracks. It could be possible.
I think the worry is that Square doesn't like Smash, and that they only gave Final Fantasy 2 songs out if all the options available. Square has basically only re-released older Final Fantasies and ports of new ones on the Switch, and the only Nintendo-focused franchises they have are Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler, both of which are the same studio that has been making games for Nintendo since the DS/3DS days.

For some reason it just seems that Square Enix isn't that interested in sharing with Sakurai. Not even enough to allow Geno in Smash lol. Anything older than FF7 doesn't exist to modern Square, so the actual Nintendo Final Fantasies won't be used either. Those would have been easy music tracks or Mii costumes .

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
I think the worry is that Square doesn't like Smash, and that they only gave Final Fantasy 2 songs out if all the options available. Square has basically only re-released older Final Fantasies and ports of new ones on the Switch, and the only Nintendo-focused franchises they have are Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler, both of which are the same studio that has been making games for Nintendo since the DS/3DS days.

For some reason it just seems that Square Enix isn't that interested in sharing with Sakurai. Not even enough to allow Geno in Smash lol. Anything older than FF7 doesn't exist to modern Square, so the actual Nintendo Final Fantasies won't be used either. Those would have been easy music tracks or Mii costumes .
Yeah exactly, I'm looking at the Square side of things. They don't seem fond of sharing songs with Smash.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
"Leaking" Byleth is more like a lucky guess and hardly definitive proof of insider knowledge.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
"Leaking" Byleth is more like a lucky guess and hardly definitive proof of insider knowledge.
Out of all the FE reps they could have used for Three Houses, I'm pretty sure Edelgard was actually more popular than Byleth, prediction-wise.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Out of all the FE reps they could have used for Three Houses, I'm pretty sure Edelgard was actually more popular than Byleth, prediction-wise.
Perhaps, but there is certainly a bias for main protagonists & 2 avatars are already in SSB. Byleth wasn't an unreasonable prediction.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
So for every new FE game should we just expect new FE character in Smash? This is the current mentality, and sort of annoying.

I mean who tf even mains Chrom? Too many reps.

Back