• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Stop Requesting Characters That Did Not Originated From A Video Game

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Danrye001

Awards
Why does some people want some characters that did not originated from a video game like, Kirito & Asuna, Goku, Shrek, Miraculous Ladybug characters etc. Won't they even know that these characters did not start in a video game?

Soldier

Awards
Why does some people want some characters that did not originated from a video game like, Kirito & Asuna, Goku, Shrek, Miraculous Ladybug characters etc. Won't they even know that these characters did not start in a video game?
People do this because:
A: They think it's funny/for the memes
and B: to add (Insert character here) to the famous roster of nintendo and third party characters would be a dream come true and open up a smorgasbord of opportunities, when the true reality is that if they want it so damn badly, they ought to just get a smash bros mod on their wii u that has absurd character reskins like Kermit the Frog over Ganondorf or Mr. Krabs over Wario so they can indulge in weird fantasies that most of us can't even begin to comprehend.

They'll keep doing this, and Sakurai will keep getting madder, and madder each time they do stuff like that. That's why they had to bring back Mewtwo as DLC in Wii U, a lot of people wanted him back despite Lucario and Greninja filling similar roles, but (debatably) better with their own unique tricks and moves.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Personally I don’t get why people want anime characters and characters from other media too appear in Super Smash Bros, I mean I’m a big fan of anime myself but I wouldn’t want any anime characters to appear in the game since Super Smash Bros it‘s meant to be for characters that originated in video games only. I mean if people want a anime crossover fighting game we already have games like Jump Force.

If I had to guess I think people who seriously want Goku in Smash might believe that it’s possible considering how many fighting games Goku has been in and has had games on Nintendo consoles in the past so given those facts plus Goku is considered a popular character I think that perhaps people believe all this stuff is enough to make him a exception.

Honestly if the character doesn’t originate from a video game I don’t want to see them in Super Smash Bros

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Not even Captain N? His show was like SSB a decade before SSB!

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
OK, but seriously though, I feel like this is a rule destined to be broken eventually. Maybe not in Ultimate but some future SSB. We have already seen it bent by technicalities & non-playable characters:

Pokemon-Anime is an influence on what pokemon are playable, how else does one explain Jigglypuff? Pikachu has his anime VA. Misty's trophy in Melee had her wearing her anime outfit that was never in any game. Ash Ketchum is name dropped in an trophy in SSB4.

Kid Icarus-Hades, Medusa, & other gods originate from Greek mythology.

Castlevania-Dracula is from a novel & based on the real life Vlad the Impaler.

Sonic-Amy Rose & Charmy the Bee first appeared in a manga series before making the jump to games. Jury's also out on Cream, whom some Sega officials claim is a Sonic X creation.

Final Fantasy-Sephiroth's inclusion brought with him music & Cloud's limit break from Advent Children, which is a movie, not a game.

if "no non-game characters" was a strictly enforced rule, then none of the above should've ever actually been in the series, now should they?

Danrye001

Awards
OK, but seriously though, I feel like this is a rule destined to be broken eventually.
What do you mean "destined to be broken eventually" so do you want characters that originated from a video game enter smash, then it won't be smash at all, don't forget, after SSBU, I don't think there will be future smash bros anymore, cause Sakurai needs a break.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I'm with Danrye001 on this, they'll never run out of video game/Nintendo characters. I mean, shit, they still need to add Waluigi

AegisXIII

Awards
What what? But I want a fight between Dr House and Heisenberg.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I'm with Danrye001 on this, they'll never run out of video game/Nintendo characters. I mean, shit, they still need to add Waluigi
There's the matter of creating excitement and hype with new characters. Ain't no one is gonna be saying "Holy shit I can't believe Waluigi got in!" With the same fervor as they did with Cloud or Banjo. Inevitably this means crossing some line that's never been crossed, dipping in a pool that's never been dipped in.

KH is similar. Tron, PotC, and Timeless River in KH2, and Pixar worlds in KH3 grabbed more attention than Robin Hood or The Rescuers ever would. Many here say they don't want Star Wars or Marvel in the next game but that's exactly what convinces people that KH4 is a must have.

Soldier

Awards
OK, but seriously though, I feel like this is a rule destined to be broken eventually. Maybe not in Ultimate but some future SSB. We have already seen it bent by technicalities & non-playable characters:

Pokemon-Anime is an influence on what pokemon are playable, how else does one explain Jigglypuff? Pikachu has his anime VA. Misty's trophy in Melee had her wearing her anime outfit that was never in any game. Ash Ketchum is name dropped in an trophy in SSB4.

Kid Icarus-Hades, Medusa, & other gods originate from Greek mythology.
Castlevania-Dracula is from a novel & based on the real life Vlad the Impaler.

Sonic-Amy Rose & Charmy the Bee first appeared in a manga series before making the jump to games. Jury's also out on Cream, whom some Sega officials claim is a Sonic X creation.

Final Fantasy-Sephiroth's inclusion brought with him music & Cloud's limit break from Advent Children, which is a movie, not a game.

if "no non-game characters" was a strictly enforced rule, then none of the above should've ever actually been in the series, now should they?
There's a flaw to the Pokemon point. Remember, That franchise started as a game in 1995/96 in Japan with the anime releasing in 97. Thus they have jistification there and any subsequent appearance of a mon in Smash is one that you can legitimately catch in the games. It'd be different if they brought in, say, armored mewtwo skins or clone skins for the kanto starters and pikachu.

Also, Yoshi is named after a employee at Nintendo, by your logic that means Yoshi bends the rules by name origin alone.

WaltK

Awards
What makes all the difference here is that all those seemingly canon-foreigner elements originated from franchises that started off as video games.

Even if we were to ignore that, say, Amy and Charmy are better known today as video game characters, they’d still, theoretically, have clearance because they are from a work that ties into a game.

On the reverse side, Goku isn’t eligible for Smash even though he’s appeared in countless video games of his own, because his medium of origin is manga.

Soldier

Awards
What makes all the difference here is that all those seemingly canon-foreigner elements originated from franchises that started off as video games.

Even if we were to ignore that, say, Amy and Charmy are better known today as video game characters, they’d still, theoretically, have clearance because they are from a work that ties into a game.

On the reverse side, Goku isn’t eligible for Smash even though he’s appeared in countless video games of his own, because his medium of origin is manga.
Besides, Goku's VA also voices Lucario in Brawl, so I don't get what the big deal is. It's close enough.

Back