• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Supergirl

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Pilots are usually weird, and arguably tend to be the weaker episodes of a show because they're less of a story piece and more of a sales pitch. It's why sometimes there are some noticeable differences between the pilot and the rest of a first season since pilots are used to sell a show to a network. They tend get made a lot earlier than the following episodes.

Awards
The effects were pretty well done for a TV show, especially one that doesn't have a huge budget like HBO/FX/Showtime, and the action sequences were nice.

Personally I felt like the fighting/effects was weakest in this show compared to the other DC properties. I'm not sure if that's because she is just now beginning or if Superman style effects require a bigger budget but that's what let me down the most. Honestly, it's probably because the effects on Flash were so great. Otherwise I liked the pilot though it did go really fast.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Pilots are usually weird, and arguably tend to be the weaker episodes of a show because they're less of a story piece and more of a sales pitch. It's why sometimes there are some noticeable differences between the pilot and the rest of a first season since pilots are used to sell a show to a network. They tend get made a lot earlier than the following episodes.

I've noticed this as well with several shows. The only times I've seen a pilot differentiate from that is because the network itself is wanting to do the show, the show is a spinoff and had a successful backdoor pilot on a different show, or the show is premiering on a streaming service and thus, ordered and produced in full. Granted, there are some instances where this is not the case, but still.

Personally I felt like the fighting/effects was weakest in this show compared to the other DC properties. I'm not sure if that's because she is just now beginning or if Superman style effects require a bigger budget but that's what let me down the most. Honestly, it's probably because the effects on Flash were so great. Otherwise I liked the pilot though it did go really fast.

Flash's effects from the beginning of the show, I'd say, were pretty awful when compared to Supergirl's. Same with Agents of SHIELD when it first started. However, Flash's effects as the show went on (and specifically the finale) are much greater, but that's to be expected when a show is successful, already renewed, and allowed to throw in the rest of the budget for the last episode. But that's just my opinion.

Awards
So going back to the Pilot. What are everyone's thoughts on The Commander a.k.a. Kara's Aunt a.k.a. female Zod. First her backstory. I don't know of anyone like her in the comics (Though I don't particularly read Superman's Comics). Is she supposed to be Superman's Mom? Is she Clark and Kara's blood Aunt (Jor El's Sister) is she only related to Kara. It's really confusing if you think about it.

On a Comic Con Note:
Maxwell Lord is coming. Thoughts?

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
I don't know of anyone like her in the comics (Though I don't particularly read Superman's Comics). Is she supposed to be Superman's Mom? Is she Clark and Kara's blood Aunt (Jor El's Sister) is she only related to Kara. It's really confusing if you think about it.

She doesn't exist.
No. That's Lara.
No. Jor-El and Zor-El are brothers. Alura married in.
It's not.

Checkmate pls.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
I guess this thread didn't really jump back up once the show started. I've liked it so far, but holy shit that plot twist just hit me hard. First time in quite a while where I've been stunned like that by a tv show.

Last few episodes have had a subplot focusing Alex and Kara not trusting Hank, with hints that there is something up with him. Knowing some comic lore, and what the name Hank Henshaw means, I thought they were gonna go with the Cyborg Superman role.

BUT INSTEAD WE GOT MOTHERFUCKING J'ONN JONZZ EVERYBODY! WE HAVE A MARTIAN MANHUNTER!!

jnh71193

Awards
This is definitely one of the better episodes! I really liked it. Especially with THAT reveal.

Lonbilly

Awards
Reviving this thread since we had the Flash crossover event. I haven't watched since Episode 3, so uh, kind of got lost in a bit, but I actually feel my interest resurging in this show. For one thing, Win feels like Kara's actual friend now instead of a jaded friendzoned guy. Cat and Kara apparently have a bond now? That's actually something I saw coming but cool nonetheless. Also, Livewire was kinda really cool. I dunno if it was because of the actress, but I really liked the character. Hell, I like the actual relunctance we saw on her face when Cat asked her not to kill her so her sons wouldn't be alone. Is it too much to hope for Livewire to possibly become the Captain Cold of this show?

Will say, Silver Banshee was kind of... weird. She appears to be normal at the beginning but then suddenly gets all murder.exe? Granted, like I said, I haven't seen anything since Episode 3, but this felt like a REALLY fast transition to the point where it felt like a multiple personality issue/bipolar with literally how she just went from "I'm scared, Win," to "Lol swagever Win stfu let me kill some bitches."

Also, am I the only one who felt a lot of chemistry between Barry and Kara? I don't mean romantically, though I wouldn't be opposed to it, but just the way they worked off of each other. The thing is, they're such similar heroes and it was so satisfying and great to see them working together. Especially since, despite my liking for BvS, this feels like a true Super adaptation. Kara has doubts, the people have doubts about her, and she's made mistakes, but she's still pushing through and trying to prove herself. She also expresses these things and clearly has emotion and has an actual bit of character development. It's not just stoic/forced for the plot.

This show has a cheese factor to it, but it's the same I'd say that Buffy/Flash/Veronica Mars have to them, and overall, evidently, the show got a LOT better. Guess I'll need to pick this up again at Episode 4.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i'm waiting to watch the flash crossover until i see the flash tonight, which leads into it.

i'm a sucker for continuity.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
Supergirl has been on a steady incline since my last post about not watching the show for a few weeks. Ironically the episode I stop before watching, was the episode I felt my interest for the show return.

chuman said:
i'm waiting to watch the flash crossover until i see the flash tonight, which leads into it.

i'm a sucker for continuity.

Although it's not 100% required, I kind of wish I had waited a few more hours to watch The Flash first for the sake of continuity. Not because it spoils much, but mainly because I'm literally missing a piece of the puzzle that leads the Flash to Supergirl's Earth-3.

Last edited:

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
I just assumed it was him testing some kind of device that boosts his speed to allow for universe hopping without the breaches, which is pretty on point based on the recent Flash episode. And yeah, Barry and Kara had great chemistry, not unlike what he shared with Felicity, minus the whole early romantic subtext

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
i enjoyed this episode, the undeniable ham actually worked.

can't wait for infinite crisis to happen and bring the arrowverse together.

Zero Sora

Awards
I know we're eventually getting the Infinite Crisis storyline due to the foreshadowing in season 1, but do we know if that includes Supergirl? Or is this just speculation at this point? Besides I've always seen Infinite Crisis as being a storyline that would show up a few seasons later.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
well i assumed it would affect the whole arrowverse. can an event like that realistically just alter one show in a shared universe?

Zero Sora

Awards
Well, the shows are on two different networks. I image the team working on Supergirl has their own storylines planned out for the next few years that don't include killing off their character due to a storyline that another show is heading towards.

But I could be wrong. Maybe the producers have been in talks and the Supergirl team is all for the Infinite Crisis storyline. Or more likely, Infinite Crisis just won't include Supergirl's Universe.

[Edit]

After some reading I have come to the conclusion that the only thing that could possibly hold Supergirl back from completely joining the shared universe is the high-ups from both networks. Everyone else is totally on board with bringing Supergirl to the Flarrow Universe. I also just learned that besides Flash and Arrow sharing Showrunners, the main Showrunners also run Supergirl. So it really is just the networks that separate them. Infinite Crisis looks more likely to include Supergirl now.

The Showrunners are all ready talking about wanting to do another crossover with Supergirl. They wish that somewhere down the line they can have all the characters from all four shows meet. I've also read that next time Supergirl is involved in a crossover, they hope it's less one sided.

Last edited:

Lonbilly

Awards
Just watched episode 4. Slowly catching back up since I've only seen 1-3 and World's Finest. I actually really liked this episode.

Also, is Maxwell Lord the show's Lex? Because if so, I approve.

Just started Episode 5. Omg Livewire is in this episode. I'm so excited, since I loved her in World's Finest.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Last Minute Supergirl Renewal Negotiations Include Speculation About Move to CW - IGN

If Supergirl did make the jump to the CW then there'd probably be better chances for more frequent/bigger crossovers. Maybe even do a Crisis on Infinite Earths to fold the Supergirl universe in with the Flarrow universe?

That being said, the budget cutbacks with moving off of a major network would be a very big negative with that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back