• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tales of Darkness

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyofShadow

Captain L.O. Shadow
This is my book I'm writing. I'm only posting the first chapter to see how people (other than my friends) will react. Critique welcome.
Things to know:
1. Very long
2. Contains blood

Dark clouds poured their tears upon the island of Marn. The lamp of the Old Brew Pub swung from side to side whilst inside, men drank their troubles of the day away. Lightning flashes and a loud thunder crash fills the air and as the dark clouds pour more of their tears upon the land. A dark figure approached the pub.

Another flash of lightning split the sky and the figure pushed wooden door open. All the men turn their attention to the figure clad in black. The figure pulled down its hood down, revealing her face. Black hair formed her slender face and her eyes glowed red with anger.

A huge man by the name of Aron stood up and hobbled drunkily over to the sixteen year old.

“Say… how ‘bout you and I get to know each other.” He said moving closer. “I’ll buy ya a few drinks then we’ll have a little ‘fun’ for a few hours. What’d ya say?”

“You are not the one, out of my way.” She replied sternly. Her voice was layered with a harsh tone of a man.

“Ah come on it’ll only be a few hours.” He persisted.

Aron placed his big hands around the girl’s small waist and picked her up as if she weighed nothing. But just as her head appeared his left shoulder, her eyes flashed red and she sank her teeth into his neck. He screamed and tried to pull her off but the more he pulled, the harder she but and the more blood flowed from the wound. Three more guys stood up and tried to pull the girl off.

They ripped her off Aron’s neck but the girl’s body suddenly malformed into a black wolf. The men backed off while others reached for their riffles. The wolf turned and faced the bartender, eyes burning blood red with rage.

“You!” She hissed.

Her voice was cold and harsh and still layered. She jumped onto a wooden table then dove over the bar, pouncing the bartender. With his hands pinned by her paws, the wolf sank her teeth into his neck, killing him. She changed back into a human and placed her hands on his chest.

His chest glowed white and her hands slowly sank into his chest. She ripped out an orange crystal.

“One of the ten found. One more piece of the puzzle.” She whispered admiring the gem.

Seeing that everyone was staring at her, she changed back into a wolf and growled loudly. Everyone backed up not wanting to end up like their friends. She sprang out from behind the bar and darted out the door leaving the men dazed and confused. They looked down at their two comrades lying dead on the floor. A black cloaked man sat in the corner of the room.

He had been sitting there the entire time, watching. At last he stood up and approached the confused men.

“You have just experienced the wrath of Hemar (Hey-mar) the Wolf.” He informed.

The men looked up him, a bit startled but the attitude quickly changed.

“Are you with her?” A young man by the name of Hunter asked with caution.

“No. I am but a simple loner.” He answered pulling his black hood down.

He had long white hair and a small white beard. His face was soft and old and his blue eyes still had a wild gleam in them. And yet he came across quite frightening with his deep voice.

“Forgive me; my name is Darkwood, Ardom Darkwood.” Ardom greeted with a simple bow of the head.

“Ok Ardom, so who is this Hemar guy and why did he kill Braith and the bartender?” Hunter asked desperately trying to sound brave.

“I will explain everything to those who are willing to listen. I am not forcing you to listen but I advise it. If you truly do not want to listen the please continue your drinking in peace.” Ardom explained.

Many of the men hesitated a minute before grabbing chairs and sat down. A few other men quickly tended to the dead, placing them outside and cleaning up the blood then taking some seats. Only three decided to continue drinking, choosing not to listen.

“Very well then. Hemar was after the bartender because he had a Shadow Crystal lodged in his heart. You should all know of the Great War between Man and Beast. How in the end the two groups decided on an agreement that may on kill as much as he needs and beast may roam freely and attack those who break this new law. Well a large pack of wolves were not pleased by this.

Hemar, their leader and former commander, wanted to prove that beasts were the ultimate creatures and man should obey them. In revenge they went from village to village slaughtering hundreds; not showing any mercy even to women and children. As he killed more humans, more of pack began fading. That is when he first unleashed a taste of true power of the Shadow Crystals.

Ten powerful stones filled with the dark power of destruction. No one who survived that day could ever forget it. Thousands were massacred without warning; hundreds of villages were destroyed in a blink of an eye. He became so consumed with revenge that when his whole pack tried to talk him out of it they were eliminated in seconds. Hemar was about to unleash the final attack when another pack leader arose and challenged Hemar to a battle.

He agreed under the condition that if he won, the humans would surrender and go under Hemar’s rule. Even though the stakes were so high, the female leader agreed and they began. Though I was not actually witnessing this battle, I heard that it lasted for two long gruesome weeks. If I can recall, the female’s name was Aleria. On the dawn of the fourteenth day both wolves were exhausted.

Aleria knew this was a fight to death and she wasn’t planning on dying before stopping Hemar. Hemar had the same thoughts. He wasn’t going to let humans rule him. Using the last of her strength, Aleria sealed Hemar’s Soul inside a young cub near by thus preventing Hemar from ever becoming whole again. Knowing she was going to die in a few hours, she carried the cub to a butcher and ordered the cub be killed immediately.

She also divided Hemar’s body into the ten gems. With her last few breaths she scattered these gems through time and space, lodging them into the hearts of humans. No one really knows what happened after that. All that people know is she died with a smile on her face.”

Ardom paused a moment, his eyes closed as if deep in thought, or deep in memory.

“Eh hem, continuing with my story. As the butcher raised his axe, he stared into the eyes of the frighten young cub. He couldn’t do it; he couldn’t kill a young cub with so much life left. So he snuck the young wolf out and released into The Dark Forest where nobody would harm it and it wouldn’t harm anybody.

This takes our story to the Farm of Takeda, Sam who lived on the island of Fesis. He and his family moved there from Aljeers, hiding from the tyrant king who ruled that island…”

“We’re finally moved in!” Sam’s wife, Marie, cheered. “Everything’s unpacked! Let’s celebrate with a grand feast!”

“A feast sounds wonderful dear.” Sam responded to his wife’s suggestion. “But you do realize until the king is dead, we’re not aloud to invite any villagers to join us. We’re in hiding now.”

“I know.” Marie sighed. “But we can still have a feast with our five children.”

“I love your optimism.” Sam smiled kissing Marie softly on the lips.

“I love you too.” She replied kissing him back.

They smiled then turned their attention back to their kids playing in the back yard.

“The Takeda’s had five kids; three girls and two boys. Mizuki, the girl you just saw, was the third born and at the time seven years old. Another thing you should know is their on the edge of The Dark Forest…”

“Can’t catch me!” The eldest sister called running ahead of Mizuki.

“I can’t run that fast, Amy!” Mizuki cried desperately trying to catch up.

Amy had long golden hair and bright blue eyes just like Mizuki. She smiled back at her sister.

“You’ll never know will till you try!” Amy replied running faster.

With that in mind, Mizuki forced her legs to run harder and she made her self more streamline. She suddenly sprang onto Amy’s back causing the two girls to go tumbling down the hill. Mizuki landed right on the edge of the forest. After a few brief seconds, Mizuki raised her head and stared into the darkness of the black trees. The wind blew through her hair; pulling her in, calling her name.

“Mizuki!” Her dad shouted.

Ignoring him, Mizuki stood up perfectly still.

“I am here.” She whispered.

In her mind angels were calling her but in reality black hands with claws reached out and grabbed her arms, leading her into the forest.

“MIZUKI!” Sam shouted again.

He ran down to his daughter and wrapped his arms around her waist. There was a great hiss of anger and the hands pulled harder.

“No let me go!” Mizuki cried.

Marie and the kids ran and helped their dad, none of them wanting to get near the forest. More hands shot out of the forest and wrapped around Mizuki’s body, trying to force her father to let go. The oldest brother, Aeon, came down, sword in hand, and slashed through the hands. There was a scream of pain as the Takeda’s flew backwards. They scrambled up the hill and into the house.

“What the heck was that?!” Moira, the fourth born, shrieked.

Aeon suddenly burst through the door then slammed it behind him, panting.

“Well done, Aeon, well done.” Sam congratulated patting his son on the back.

Their attention turned back to Mizuki. She lay on the floor, unconscious but alive. Marie was relieved and gingerly picked Mizuki up and carried her up to her room.

“My room, now.” Sam whispered calmly but sternly.

The four siblings followed their father up to his room. Aeon closed the door.

“Now listen closely, the Dark Forest is off limits. No one must ever go in. No matter what. And another thing, Mizuki has no memory of this experience. I don’t want any of you remind her. It could destroy her.” Sam said sternly.

Everyone in the room nodded. There was a long moment of silence until Amy, the second eldest, broke it.

“What happened to Mizuki?” Amy asked. “She felt…darker. Her hair, her eyes, her skin!”

Sam sighed and rubbed the back of his head.

“I was hoping this wouldn’t happen. It’s the effect of The Dark Forest…”

“…it wasn’t called The Dark Forest for nothing. If you can remember, that’s where the butcher released Hemar. And that was five years before this point. Over the next nine years Mizuki began rapidly changing. Her once sapphire eyes faded to dark red and blonde hair faded to black.

Her personality also took a turn for the worse as well. She became very distant and independent and her lust to kill grew…”

“Wait a second! You’re saying that because she ‘almost’ got sucked into that forest she came dark?” Hunter questioned finding it hard to believe this story.

“Hmpf, may I continue?” Ardom asked glaring at Hunter.

Hunter crossed his arms and slid in his seat.

“Thank you. And yes. Anyways on her sixteenth birthday everything went down the drain as it was her first day allowed to hunt on her own…”

“Now remember The Dark Forest is off limits. Don’t even go near it.” Sam emphasized to Mizuki.

“Papa, I’m sixteen. I know all the rules. You taught me well. Besides you built a wall to protect us. What could go wrong?” Mizuki reassured.

“Just be careful and remember…”

“...don’t judge a wolf by its sad eyes.” Mizuki finished being a bit sarcastic.

Sam smiled. “Just remember I love you.”

Mizuki returned the same smile then kissed her father on the cheek. She picked up her bow and headed out the door. Sam watched his daughter disappear into the fog on the morning; his heart praying for safety for his daughter. The sun had not yet peaked its head over the horizon so it was still quite dark in the forest; yet just enough light was emitted to see. It was quite cold but that was normal for an early May morning.

After an hour or so of wandering through the forest, Mizuki finally spotted a nice fat doe. She was a bit too far still, so as quite as a mouse, Mizuki readied her bow and gradually made her way towards the deer. The deer didn’t notice and continued grazing. A confident smile stretched across Mizuki’s face as she released the brown with red feathers arrow and hit the deer square on the deer’s neck. The deer gave a strange cry and tried to run but Mizuki had already released another arrow hitting it again in the neck; killing it.

“Yes!” Mizuki cheered.

Although it seemed impossible, the smile on Mizuki’s stretched even further and pride almost overwhelmed her as she approached her new prize. Mizuki knelt down and stroked the soft tan fur of the dead deer.

“Wow.”

As Mizuki pulled the arrows out of the deer’s neck a small brown wolf cub tried to sneak over and steal a bit of meat. This did not go unnoticed by Mizuki.

“Well who do we have here?” She smiled. “You hungry?”

The wolf seemed to nod, its eyes wide with fear. Mizuki pulled out a small dagger and cut a fair size of meat then tossed it to the cub. The cub curiously sniffed the meat the nibbled away at it. Mizuki smiled and was about to sheathe her dagger when the young cub suddenly snatched the dagger from Mizuki’s grip and ran away.

“Hey come back here!” Mizuki shouted chasing after the young cub. “I promised my dad I wouldn’t lose it!”

Mizuki chased the cub until it disappeared under a tall wall. Determined to get the dagger she promised her father she wouldn’t lose, Mizuki jumped up and scrambled up to the top of the wall. She stood on top of the thick wall and peered into the darkness.

“Mizuki.” A whispered voice called.

A soft wind seemed to pull Mizuki into the forest.

“This…feels familiar.” Mizuki thought to herself.

Mizuki closed her eyes and voices of the past ran through her head. Just voices.

“Can’t catch me!”

“I can’t run that fast, Amy!”

“You’ll never know will till you try!”

“MIZUKI!”

A sudden sharp pain in her leg snapped Mizuki back to reality. She looked down and screamed. A black clawed hand tightly clutched her leg. Mizuki screamed because at the moment she realized where she was and the huge mistake she had just made. She tried to kick the hand of her leg but it just clutched even tighter almost snapping her leg in half.

Just as things seemed bad, more hands shot out of the forest and wrapped around Mizuki’s struggling body.

“HELP ME!” Mizuki cried.

But this time there was no one. With great ease, the hands Mizuki up and flung her into the forest. Mizuki lifted her head and looked around. She had landed some where in the middle of the forest. It was so cold in the forest.

Everything was dead yet something above her was blocking out the sun. Mizuki rubbed her arms. The forest struck fear in Mizuki’s heart.

“Mamma? Papa?” Mizuki whimpered.

“Hello dear.” A dark voice whispered behind Mizuki.

Mizuki spun around and laid eyes upon the wolf cub she had met earlier except this time a twisted smile was stretched across it face.

“Don’t judge a wolf by its sad eyes.” It said.

Then all went black.

Old Brew Pub

“And no one’s seen her since tonight. Five months later.” Ardom concluded.

I haven't had time to fnish editing so there will be gramatical errors. Again critique welcome but flaming bad...
Tell me if you would finish reading this if it were to be published.

Rauxlen

I've posted once since 2010
Awards
Wow... Dark... But what else would I expect from something titled "Tales of Darkness"? It was good, and long. And sorry for commenting, because I didn't know if you wanted your friends to comment or not.

LadyofShadow

Captain L.O. Shadow
Wow... Dark... But what else would I expect from something titled "Tales of Darkness"? It was good, and long. And sorry for commenting, because I didn't know if you wanted your friends to comment or not.

No, I wanted you to comment. I meant my friends like the ones who hear me talk about my book 24-7 who basically know the plot due to my big mouth. But no, thank you for your comments.

Cinollex

tssssss
Awards
Eh, the grammar could use some improvement. Overall; you've shown me this, so you know my opinion.

Last edited:

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Got to go to work experience. I haven't read the whole thing, but so far, so good. I'll get back to it later.

It's nice to see you have that knack of explaining something quickly and lightly, instead of using paragraphs of words for descriptions with boring language, even though the contenet might be great (my writing curse)

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
Lol your first post and and already attracting more visitors than mine *looks sadly at sig link*.

Very good job. I suggest continuing to post it here, that way you'll have fans before you even publish it=D

Merlin326

offhand, i cant think of any advice to give, but then i havent gone though with a fine-tooth comb (or a butcher knife, lol).

all joking aside, this is quite a good start, MoS. Nice names (something i typically have a hard time with) and good description.

With all due respect,
Merlin326

Sora05

It's great MoS! About 10 times better than mine which I've been working on for some time. Just haven't got the guts to post the first chapter.

Finland

Banshee Queen
Awards
Amazing job, Tintin! I'll buy that book when it's published! XD
Love it, you're so creative...
:D

Rauxlen

I've posted once since 2010
Awards
Yay! Congratulations, Xina (I hope you don't mind if I call you that)!

Merlin326

Good news everyone! I'm almost done. One more chapter to go then I send it off to publishers! If I'm lucky it'll be published in March. Thanks for your support everyone!

I wish you all the luck in the writing world, MoS. If you do get it published, let me know, and i will try to buy a copy and read the whole thing.

with all due respect,
Merlin326

LadyofShadow

Captain L.O. Shadow
Thank You all

As a big thank you to all your support I will upload chapter 2. But then this is it till it gets published:

2: Tales of the Bloody Memories

“Well done Mizuki.” Hemar’s voice purred inside Mizuki’s head.

“Shut up.” Mizuki hissed.

She wiped the splattered blood off her face onto her white sleeve. She wore tight black trousers, tall black boots and a long thick black cloak.

“We now have two Shadow Crystals, we only need eight more.” Hemar informed.

“And I care why?” Mizuki sneered.

“Somebody’s become Miss. Moody. I just thought you might like to know because your body’s the one doing all the killing.”

Mizuki stopped in her tracks; a slight breeze blew through her hair, wiping away the escaping tears that began streaming down.

“Mizuki, Mizuki, Mizuki.” The wind whispered in her head.

Mizuki placed a hand on her forehead and gritted her teeth. Her head pounded, louder and louder, harder and harder. Hemar stepped out of Mizuki’s shadow, her female form melting into a black wolf. He dramatically slowly walked around to the front of Mizuki who was now on her knees in pain.

“Yes.” His voice hissed. “You can feel it; my heart pounding away in your mind.”

A purple aura formed around Hemar’s pure black body. The pounding stopped.

“I…I don’t want to kill…anymore people.” Mizuki whispered.

“Well that’s just too bad. You’ve always had a killer’s instinct about you. Remember what you did to your brother’s hunting dog?”

Marie hurried up the stairs. She heard loud growling and barking coming from one of the bedrooms up stairs. She knew the one was Senka but there was also another. A much louder and fearful growling came from this animal. Her heart racing, turned right running down small corridor than during left again which lead to another flight of stairs.

Just as she was half way up, she heard a final growl then whimpering followed by the sad of somebody sobbing. Marie was finally at the top and quickly swung open the door. There, in the middle of the room lay a dead Senka covered in bite marks and scratches and a young nine-year-old Mizuki weeping over the body.

“Mizuki?” She whispered.

Mizuki continued crying. Marie took a step forward.

“Don’t come near me.” Mizuki cried, obviously hearing her mother’s footsteps. “Or I might hurt you too.”

Marie progressed slowly towards her daughter.

“Sweet heart?”

Marie placed a hand on Mizuki’s shoulder; turning her daughter towards her and gasped. Mizuki’s face and hands were covered with splattered blood.

“I’m sorry.” She sobbed.

At that moment, the worst of Mizuki’s fears came to pass. Her four other siblings burst into the door wondering as what was going on. Their eyes quickly filled with fear at what their dear sister had done. Unable to bear the looks in their eyes. Mizuki covered her face with her arm and darted past her siblings and out of the house.

She suddenly tripped on a rock and fell into a puddle. Mizuki stared at her reflection in horror. She aggressively began washing the blood off her face staining the puddle red like dye. Once her adrenalin faded she stopped and stayed on her hands and knees; tears pouring down her face. The sky then too joined in.

Mizuki stood up silently, her heart aching from the painful memories. A small tear escaped her eye and rolled down her soft cheek. Hemar silently walked up beside Mizuki, a twisted smile stretched across his mouth. He enjoyed her pain. Like all the others he slaughtered, their pain tasted like sweet red wine; and he wanted more.

“And you did a decent job slaughtering you’re…”

“Hemar.” Mizuki whispered. “Please don’t. Haven’t I suffered enough?”

“Not nearly as much as you family did that wonderful birthday of yours.” Hemar finished really struck a cord for Mizuki.

Mizuki remained still as more voices filled her head. No visuals, just voices echoing in a dark room in the corner of Mizuki’s mind.

“Mizuki did you catch anything?” John asked.

“M, M, Mizuki?” Moira’s small voice trembled.

“You!” Mizuki hissed; her voice layered with Hemar’s.

“Get everyone of here Marie! Now!” John shouted.

“Mamma! She’s got my leg!” Moira screamed.

“MIZUKI!”

A loud gunshot rang out followed by the sound of roaring flames and crackling wood. Then all went silent except for the sound a pounding heart beat.

“The reason you couldn’t see anything was because you were blinded by the darkness I hold. I didn’t want to make you watch so I gave pieces to put together yourself. I thought it’d be more fun.”

Tears now freely poured down Mizuki’s face. Angry and hurt by Hemar, she darted deeper into the forest. Hemar kept his smile and simply walked behind her.

“You can not run away Mizuki. I will catch you!” Hemar shouted.

He melted into a formless shadow ground and chased after Mizuki; the shadows from the trees speeding him up. Despite Hemar’s words, Mizuki ran and ran; pushing every muscle in her body to their limits. The harder she pushed, the more her body began flickering between a grey wolf and her human body. More adrenaline was pumped through her veins to supply the energy needed for her hard working muscles.

Mizuki could feel Hemar drawing closer but made the fatal mistake of looking behind her. She didn’t notice the tree root sticking up and suddenly tripped then tumbled painfully down a steep hill. Her head smashed into tree forming a huge gash above her left eye, along with many other scratches picked up along the way down, and knocking her unconscious. Mizuki could feel her warm blood trickling over her right eye but there was nothing she could do. A few minutes passed before Mizuki could gain enough strength to sit up and right next to her sat Hemar; smiling his devilish smile.

“It’s useless trying to escape. Though entertaining, it’s useless.” Hemar taunted as he slithered back into Mizuki’s head. “No matter where you go or where you are, I will always find you.”

Black smoke suddenly appeared on Mizuki’s wounds and she could feel them closing up then as the smoke disappeared, so did the wounds. Mizuki (Hemar) stood up.

“Let’s go, we’ve wasted enough time here with your hopeless escape attempt.” Hemar growled.

A black aura formed around Mizuki as her mind lost complete control over her body and Hemar took over. She whipped out her right hand and the three Shadow Crystals appeared before it.

“Anecis alu teta!” Hemar commanded his voice layered with Mizuki’s.

The three crystals suddenly flashed then glowed a blinding purple and three beams shot out and formed a swirling portal before them. A twisted smile stretched across Mizuki’s mouth. Hemar began walking towards the portal but Mizuki hesitated.

“Mizuki.” Hemar growled.

“I’m not going in there.” Mizuki protested forcing her body to stop but she quickly lost control and was forced into the portal.

Mizuki screamed as the portal whipped her left then right and all around. It was like driving through a dark tunnel with flashing yellow lights every so often in the darkness. A sudden feeling of separation came over her as if half her was being ripped in half; and yet her body was still together. The portal slowed and Mizuki found herself floating through a new portal on her back.

A new feeling came over her. A feeling of peace and tranquility; a feeling Mizuki hadn’t experienced since she was a child. Strange beams of bright colors swirled and danced around Mizuki’s motionless body. Her lips moved but no sound left. Just as her heavy eyes began closing a sharp pain shot from her hand through her spine jolting her eyes wide open.

Her mouth opened wide as if letting out a scream but again nothing came out. Her tear filled eyes glanced over to her right hand where Hemar had his teeth firmly sunk into Mizuki’s hand.

“Why?” Her lips moved.

Words flashed in Mizuki’s head.

“What do you mean, the Illusion Division?”

There still was no sound leaving Mizuki’s lips but Hemar seemed to understand for his answer appeared in words in her head again.

“I’m so tired.”

Mizuki tried to close her eyes again but Hemar bit harder keeping her awake. White light filled Mizuki’s eyes and she felt she had gained control over her body. Mizuki ‘pulled’ herself up into an upright position.

“Wait a minute. Hemar!” Mizuki shouted a bit surprised at the sound of her own voice.

But it was too late; the white light wrapped around her body and blinded her sight. An abrupt feeling of falling followed landing came over Mizuki. Once getting over the shock of the fall Mizuki lifted her head and looked around. It was a small village of farmers with lots of animals running around wildly.

“Geesh how far back in time did we go?” Mizuki wondered rubbing the back of her head.

“On the contrary. We’re actually a two thousand years in your future.” Hemar smiled.

“What?!” Mizuki shrieked. “What has the world been doing these past thousands years?!”

“About two thousand years ago the creator of this world saw the world had turned away so he flooded it. Many islands sank including Fesis. All of Fesis technology, along with its entire people, disappeared never to be seen again. Apparently only four people survived off the island but no one’s seen them.” Hemar explained.

Mizuki stared him. “So all our history, all our technology just disappeared? Everything?”

Hemar nodded. Mizuki looked around and noticed all the villagers were staring.

“Um Hemar, exactly where are we?”

Suddenly a sound of shouting filled the atmosphere. They were shouting in a strange language to Mizuki but Mizuki could tell it was bad. She suddenly ran away in the opposite direction. A spear suddenly flew past her arm, grazing it. Mizuki winced but Hemar kept her running. She changed into a black wolf and increased her speed.

“Why are they chasing us?!” Mizuki shouted jumping out of the way of another spear.

Hemar didn’t answer but continued running. A line of men stood in their way; weapons in hand. Hemar slid to a stop. The one who appeared to be the leader pointed and shouted something in another language.

“Um translation?” Mizuki asked.

“Its Chinese, how am I supposed to know?” Hemar answered.

Dodging a wooden spear, Hemar backed up then ran and jumped over the linemen. He snaked his way along the path; spears and arrows cutting his black tail fur. Hemar bound over a high bush to the left of him then crouched down and stayed down as the men ran past down the path. His crafty golden eyes watched the men carefully knowing they’re strength and practically not wanting to be killed; more like Mizuki be killed.

“Stupid humans.” Hemar smirked.

He was about to stand up but Mizuki couldn’t move.

“What’s wrong?” Hemar asked with a bit of growl in his voice.

“I’m just a girl, I usually never have to run this fast.” Mizuki panted.

“Fine, we’ll rest here. You’re body will need the strength to take down the leader.” Grumbled Hemar crossing his paws over each other then laying his head down.

He really got annoyed of having a girl’s body sometimes but he needed it.

“If it weren’t for stupid witch, I wouldn’t be in this situation. I wouldn’t have to use this stupid girl’s body to find the gems. And why did it have to be her. Man why couldn’t it be her brother who wandered into the forest. Why if I had his body I’d probably have my original body by now!” Hemar rambled in his mind. “Great now I’m mentally talking to myself.”

Mizuki silently groaned to herself. She herself didn’t like this situation mainly because she could hear Hemar’s every thought and drove her crazy when Hemar would begin to ramble on about how ‘if I chose some one else, this would be better.’ Finally drowning out his annoyance, Mizuki went to sleep; her mind drifting to a place it had never before.

A roaring fire penetrated the dark night sky. Cries of all sorts were heard from the burning forest. Some were cries of joy the rest were blood-curdling screams of pain and terror; from wolves. A young dark brown cub ran through his now smoldering home. The sound of the humans chanting with enjoyment filled his ears.

“Mama! Papa!” He cried at the top of his lungs.

Suddenly a sharp pain grabbed his left back leg and caused the young wolf to trip. Recovering from the shock of the fall, the young wolf looked back and saw his leg was caught in a poacher’s trap. The cub instinctively howled at the top of his lungs for help. A loud crack next to him changed his howl into a shriek for the large tree next to him was beaten by the fire’s bite and began twisting its way down towards the cub. It seemed there was no hope for the cub but suddenly a elderly black wolf burst out of the fire and threw his body into the tree; causing it to miss the cub’s nose by a few centimeters.

“Father!” The cub cried with joy.

Without saying a word, the black wolf walked around to the trap and pressed the button, releasing his son. The cub sprang out of the trap then limped to his father. Before they could say anything, a spear suddenly flew across the top of the black wolf’s head, slicing a few of his hairs. The wolf picked up the cub in his mouth then darted through the forest. Up a head stood a towering rock; also known as Howling Rock. With great speed, Hemar jumped up to the top and set his son down.

The two wolves gazed at the fire consuming their home. The sound of whimpering wolves was heard through out the forest but they both knew there was nothing that could be done. The young cub’s ears suddenly sprung straight up.

“Mother!” He suddenly cried.

A white wolf suddenly flew out of the flames and clutched the edge of the edge of a cliff by her claws a little lower than where the black wolf and the cub stood. The black wolf suddenly changed into his human form and grabbed the white wolf’s legs. His long black hair floated above the intense inferno as he clutched his wife’s paws tightly.

“Don’t let go!” He pleaded. “Hikaru, don’t let go!”

Hikaru looked down and saw a group of men forming beneath her; weapons in hand. She looked back up and stared into her husband’s eyes.

“Take good care of Akira, Hemar. Take good care of our son.” She said with a heavy heart and tears in her eyes.

“Fire!” One of the men shouted.

Three gunshots were fired then Hikaru’s eyes faded and she slipped out of Hemar’s grasp.

“Hikaru!” Hemar shouted watching his wife plunge into the sea of flames.

“Nooo!” Akira cried. “Mother!”

Another bullet was fired and grazed Hemar’s cheeks causing him to fall backwards. A few humans appeared and surrounded Hemar and his son. They raised their guns. Without even looking at them Hemar stood up and clenched his hand into fist.

“You…murders. You bloody murders!” He hissed.

The men and Akira stared at Hemar with fear in their eyes.

“Father?” Akira asked.

A red aura formed around Hemar’s body. He changed his form back into a wolf; his fur bristled with anger and aura got brighter. The men blinked and suddenly one of them fell to the ground, a huge claw mark across his chest. Without even seeing him, more men began falling dead. But for every man that fell ten more seemed to appear.

Although it seemed impossible, Hemar began tire. His anger only grew but his strength decreased and he changed unwillingly back into a human. Two men suddenly grabbed his arms and forced him to his knees.

“Father!” Akira screamed watching his father being beaten by the men.

“Akira run!” Hemar shouted just before being punched again in the face.

One of the men looked up from beating Hemar and stared at Akira. Akira quivered with fear as he stared back into the tall human’s eyes.

“Let my father go!” Akira hollered suddenly.

He lunged at the man bearing his small teeth. He jumped up and bit the human in the neck; knocking him over. This distraction caused the men holding Hemar to loosen their grip allowing Hemar to brake free. He slammed his freed elbows into the faces of the men; shoving their noses into their brains, killing them. Once again, it was Hemar against at least fifty men.

In his blind anger, he didn’t see the fist flying into his snout. Hemar flew backwards and off the edge of the cliff, leaving his son to face the men on his own. As he fell, he heard Akira growl followed by the dreaded sound of a gunshot. By a miracle, Hemar landed on a ledge instead of ending up in the flames. Hemar lay on the ledge, alive but unable to move; occasionally his muscles would wince in pain.

“Akira…Hikaru…I’m sorry.” He choked.

Like any sad story, rain slowly began to pour down, hiding the tears running down Hemar’s black fur. Hemar opened his eye slightly and stared at the falling rain droplets as his finally thoughts of his family’s demise looped over and over again until Hemar fell into a deep unconsciousness.

“Mizuki. Mizuki wake up.” Hemar whispered.

With a slight groan, Mizuki lifted her head groggily but then dropped her head; placing her paws over her ears trying to fall back asleep.

“Wake up you worthless girl!” Hemar bellowed inside Mizuki’s head.

The sudden shout caused Mizuki jump clear off the ground, changed into her human form and land flat on face.

“Ok, I’m awake!” Mizuki groused, sitting up. “Happy?”

“No now let’s go.”

Mizuki crawled over to the bush and peered through a small opening. She saw the campfire blazing and about ten men guarding the village on full alert.

“That one.” Hemar said.

“Huh?” Mizuki inquired. “How can you tell?”

“The Shadow Crystals radiate ripples energy in its color. By now I should think you’d be able to see it as well. That’s how I sense a crystal is near; those energy impulses are sent to me. This is purple crystal, the crystal of healing.” Hemar clarified.

Keeping that in mind, Mizuki peered hard at the men. Suddenly out of the tallest soldier, the third standing in a line from the right, a purple pulse emitted from his heart.

“Whoa!” Mizuki gasped.

“Strike now!” Hemar commanded.

“No way! I’ll be killed if I go out there!” Mizuki protested.

She suddenly held her hand out and the green Shadow Crystal appeared in her hand.

“This is the gem of speed. Clutch it tightly and allow the power to flow through your body.” Hemar instructed.

Mizuki hesitantly did as she was told. The green crystal began to shine brighter and brighter; nearly blinding her with green light.

“Concentrate Mizuki.” Hemar growled. “Don’t loose it!”

The power was too great; too much for Mizuki’s body. With a cry of pain, Mizuki was thrown backwards; dropping the crystal. With teary eyes, Mizuki stared at her burned hands.

“You lost it! You stupid girl!” Hemar shouted stepping out of Mizuki’s shadow.

“I’m sorry Hemar. The crystal was hurting me. I had to let go.” Mizuki whimpered.

Grunting, Hemar changed into a human then bent down and picked up the green crystal where Mizuki dropped it. Mizuki stared at him with confusion in her eyes.

“I thought he was incomplete.” Mizuki thought.

“I am, but with each crystal gathered more of me is put together, like a giant jigsaw puzzle.” Hemar replied.

Hemar whipped his other hand out and black smoke covered Mizuki’s hand then faded; healing the burn wounds. The crystal flashed and disappeared out of Hemar’s hand.

“So much for that plan.” Hemar grumbled. “Get up.”

He kicked her in the side causing her yelp “ouch” then climbed up to her feet. Hemar dived into Mizuki’s shadow and took control. He changed into a wolf and burst out of the bushes. This did not go unnoticed by the guards standing on patrol. They readied their weapons but in spite of this, Hemar kept running towards them. With one swift motion, the line of soldiers suddenly fell to the ground; dead. Hemar walked up to the third soldier in line on the ground and placed his right front paw on the soldier’s chest.

Quickly changing back into Mizuki, Mizuki reached down and ripped the crystal out of the heart of the fallen soldier. Before Hemar opened a portal, Mizuki looked back at the village and stared at women and children’s faces.

From their fearful and sad expressions, Mizuki could tell some of those men must have been related to them.

“I’m so sorry.” She whispered.

With a heavy heart, Mizuki stepped unwillingly into the dark portal. Once back in the Illusion Division, Mizuki looked at Hemar, sadness and curiosity in her eyes.

“Hey Hemar did you ever have a family?”

Enjoy!

Merlin326

Interesting. very interesting.

good job with this one. I'm intreigued where this is going.

as i said before, i wish you luck in the publishing buisness. if the book should be published, let me know, and i shall endevour to buy it.

with all due respect,
Merlin326

captain

Bronze Member
(I'm posting so I'll remember to come back here later when I have more time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back