• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Thank you in Japanese?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

bittermeat

デザートタイ&#
Website
heartstation.org
Don't listen to those other kids, this one is right:

Oh for heavens sake . . .

Both are used to say thank you in Japan.

Domo is usually used as a quick little thank you to something like maybe holding a door open or something. Where as Arigatou has a stronger connotation, and is definately used in more formal contexts than Domo. Heck, even the phrase Domo Arigatou is used, which is similar to Arigatou Gozaimasu (thank you very much).

The One Is Here

Okay, I got merci and kawaii? I know gracias is wrong so I'm ignoring that. Does anyone have any solid proof?
yea iam the friend that ogichi/ichigo is talking about i realize that domo doesnt mean thank you sorry man but i think domo means fine or iam fine yea and ive no clue if merci and kawaii are the right ones

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
yea iam the friend that ogichi/ichigo is talking about i realize that domo doesnt mean thank you sorry man but i think domo means fine or iam fine yea and ive no clue if merci and kawaii are the right ones

First off, "merci" isn't even japanese . . .

Secondly, Kawaii means cute

Thirdly, you can use either "Daijoubu", "Genki", or "Ii" to say that you are doing fine, well, good, etc. Though, usually "Ii" is used to say that something is good, not referring to yourself, but I suppose it's possible depending on the context.

Trust me, Domo is definitely another way of saying thank you, just be careful where you use it (if someone does you a favor, try and respond with Arigatou, lol).

Last edited:

rake

and for cult movie points just throw down and say Kore Wa Boomstick Desu! (the u is silent) which obviously means 'this is my boomstick"

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
and for cult movie points just throw down and say Kore Wa Boomstick Desu! (the u is silent) which obviously means 'this is my boomstick"

Technically, that by itself just says "This is a boomstick." If you are just gonna use that sentence (without implying anything before hand) you'd have to say "Kore wa watashi no boomstick desu." / 「これは私のボームスチクです。」 Of course, this is assuming that "Boomstick" is a made-up word that would just be written in Katakana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back