• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The 10 Year Wait for KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
This is something I often get annoyed with, but I do understand the mentality behind it. And that is "We've been waiting 10 years for KH3!"

So, here's what I want to know.

Where do other people stand on this idea? Do you really consider it "waiting 10 years" when Square has consistently been releasing KH games? I understand that we've all known KH3 was coming in the back of our minds, sure. But it's not like Square left us in the dark for a decade. The series has trucked along this whole time, with significant titles being released since KH2. You could easily have called Birth by Sleep or DDD "Kingdom Hearts III".

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've been waiting from KH game to KH game. I have not been waiting for KH3 since 2006.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
"We've been waiting 10 years for KH3!"

No, no you haven't.

You've been waiting 10 years for a game called KH3.

It's not like this was announced 10 years ago, with footage and everything, only for it to go into development hell. No, people assumed there would be a KH3 because of conventional sequel naming. tbh it's a good thing that we've had about 10 years of story buildup so KH3 could conclude it all and go out with a bang, rather than desperately grasp at straws to justify its story like how KHII did. (And KHII's sloppiness has resulted in the following games trying to clean up and clarify its mess instead of moving the plot forward up til Re:Coded and DDD.)

Then again, a lot of the people who keep yelling about the 10-year wait seem to also adore everything about KHII, so I guess they wouldn't really care.

KH3 is going to be the conclusion of the Dark Seeker saga. So in order for it to conclude anything, there kinda had to be some significant loose story ends for it to tie up. KHII had pretty much taken care of that, save for the Secret Episode. So rather than cramming a ton of story and exposition into a single game, it was played out slowly through multiple titles.
Whether you consider that a smart call or just a money-grubbing move is up to you.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
"We've been waiting 10 years for KH3!"

No, no you haven't.

You've been waiting 10 years for a game called KH3.

I've been trying to find a simple way to word this for so long, and here it is. Yes, this is exactly what I keep trying to tell people. There have been "KH3"-type games already released. They just weren't named as such.

tbh it's a good thing that we've had about 10 years of story buildup so KH3 could conclude it all and go out with a bang

Precisely. I've been thinking that since KH3 was announced. They set it up so that KH3 has a great climax to work with and build up to. Can you imagine if DDD had been KH3? Yeah. BBS would have been a perfectly acceptable KH3 though, imo.

Whether you consider that a smart call or just a money-grubbing move is up to you.

I like to imagine Square's eyes became dollar signs when Nomura began talking about explaining his entire mythos in individual games.

"You really think I should make the plot point of the gang discovering Namine's hidden message into an entire game?"

"Oh, yeah, absolutely! Trust us, they'll love it!"

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
If I can survive what felt like 10 years to defeat Days, I can survive 10 actual years waiting for an actual good game.

(Still love you days)

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'd say I've been waiting for KH3 for 10 years - personally!
I wouldn't say that they LET us wait 10 years though, because well..that's not true. That's like saying they let us wait almost 20 years for the announcement of the FF VII Remake.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I was waiting for a continuation of Sora's story, which didn't happen until 3D. And even then it didn't feel like a KH title without D&G, but it was better than nothing after the void between it and KH2.

Muke

whatever
Awards
i waited 40 years!1! where is the game already
53.gif
Rk7vJeH.gif

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
games i've been more hyped for than III:

- KH BbS
- KH Days
- KH re:Coded
- KH DDD
- KH 2.8

at this point i don't even give a fuck about III, make it like GTA V or bioshock infinite where i don't care but it turns out to be fantastic after release.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I don't feel there's SO much to be hyped for yet anyways. I don't want them to spoil the game or anything, but I feel like I don't even have enough hints to go OMG DIS SO GUD I NEED.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
That's like saying they let us wait almost 20 years for the announcement of the FF VII Remake.

If I were Chaser, I'd post a picture of a hammer hitting a nail on its head.

at this point i don't even give a fuck about III, make it like GTA V or bioshock infinite where i don't care but it turns out to be fantastic after release.

3 really must be a magic number, because there always seems to be extra excitement around the third installment in any franchise. Like, why exactly? What is it about the number 3 that makes people so extra hyped? Assassin's Creed III, God of War III, Uncharted 3, etc. Why are people pooping themselves just cause of the 3?

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
^ That may very well be.

That said, the third entry is often the last entry. A lot of people waiting for 3 for [however many] years might have been under the (unconscious) impression that there needed to be a 3 just for the series to wrap-up? C'mon Kingdom Hearts, who ends the original story on Entry #2? It can't be real!

(And it wasn't, because KH2 was the third game in the series, but who played that?)

Last edited:

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Speaking of Half-Life 3, that actually brings up another point about waiting for KH3 for 10 years. Now, in HL3's case, there hasn't been another game since HL2: Episode 2. So, the idea that fans have been "waiting" for HL3 all this time makes a little bit more sense. But on that same note, is it really fair to the developers to say you've been waiting for "x" amount of years for a game that hasn't even been announced, or in KH3's case, was announced only 3 years ago?

People are beating Square over the head with "WE'VE BEEN WAITING 10 YEARS" and I wanna be like "I don't think it's Square's fault that you twiddled your thumbs since 2006 for a game that was never confirmed, announced, nor promised to you until 2013."

(And it wasn't, because KH2 was the third game in the series, but who played that?)

It makes me laugh when I realize that KH3 is the tenth game in the series.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I can't help but post this whenever the "been waiting 10 years" thing is brought up:
kh_spoof__overlooked_by_jojo56830-d6evldw.jpg

But seriously, I don't get the "I've been waiting 10 years for KHIII" mentality. It's not like III had announcements and whatnot 10 years ago and then the series dropped off the face of the planet. The series has been progressing this whole time. We've had sequels, interquels, prequels, we're up to are head in quels.

Now I can understand "I've been waiting 10 years for another KH on home console" because hey, not everyone is gonna buy a bunch of handhelds just to play one game, but I don't get anyone who would disregard the handheld titles simply because there's no number attached (we even had one with lots of numbers! lol)

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
My issue is that the handheld games are technologically neutered to some extent, so in a lot of ways, yes, I feel like I've been waiting ten years. The handheld games try hard to push the plot, but from a GAME standpoint they do feel like spinoffs. They have less content, lower polish, etcetera.

Let's stop shaming people for preferring console releases.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Let's stop shaming people for preferring console releases.

Of course, no one's shaming anyone for that. I've always been understanding of that. I think we can all agree console games are a superior experience. That is, in my opinion, the only real case you can make in terms of "waiting" for KH3, is that you could not afford to keep up with the system hopping and were waiting for the next console title.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
When people say they've been waiting 10 years, they're not TOTALLY off. A lot of people thought that BBS was 3. And when it was revealed it wasn't 3, people still thought it was or at least a road bump to KH3.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Not too long ago, I knew someone who said "I'm still waiting for this game" and he brought up the KH2FM secret ending and when he was told that that was Birth By Sleep, he was like whaaaaaaa?? Just goes to show you how being a portable game automatically makes people think "not a main game nor relevant".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back