• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The "Castle" Slide in Deep Jungle

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
So I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts, and got to the Deep Jungle stage. I remembered that in this stage, there's a part where you show Tarzan slides to help jog his memory about Sora's friends (or something).

Anyway, the castle that is shown gives Sora a familiar feeling, and a dialogue is even exchanged, saying it feels familiar, yet he has never been there (never left Destiny Islands).

I used to think this castle was Hollow Bastion, but as I've noticed upon replaying, it looks nothing like it at all. Even if it was Hollow Bastion, why would it feel familiar to Sora (Kairi?)?

Thoughts? What was the purpose of this familiar castle?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The castle reminds Kairi of the one in Radiant Garden, and that feeling resonated within Kairi's heart deep within Sora.

Last edited:

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
So I'm replaying Kingdom Hearts, and got to the Deep Jungle stage. I remembered that in this stage, there's a part where you show Tarzan slides to help jog his memory about Sora's friends (or something).

Anyway, the castle that is shown gives Sora a familiar feeling, and a dialogue is even exchanged, saying it feels familiar, yet he has never been there (never left Destiny Islands).

I used to think this castle was Hollow Bastion, but as I've noticed upon replaying, it looks nothing like it at all. Even if it was Hollow Bastion, why would it feel familiar to Sora (Kairi?)?

Thoughts? What was the purpose of this familiar castle?

It's supposed to be a slide of a castle (unsure of it meant to look like Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden), and the picture itself does spark Kairi's Heart inside Sora, prompting him to see it as familiar -> it's a secondary source type of response, and yes, it's tickling at him of HB-RG.

Or it could even have been Enchanted Dominion/Dwarf Woodlands/Castle of Dreams from Ven's sleeping Heart inside Sora as well, though I doubt that was ever considered that far back in the past.

So it's Kairi's Heart tickling at Sora in response to the slide of the Castle, which seems familiar to her Heart, since Kairi is originally from HB-RG.

Odysseus

I figured that, but it literally looks nothing like the castle in Radiant Garden.

Plus, don't you need to actually remember something to feel nostalgia for it? Familiarity, sure, but not nostalgia; Kairi's said multiple times she doesn't remember anything at all about her old home.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I figured that, but it literally looks nothing like the castle in Radiant Garden.

Plus, don't you need to actually remember something to feel nostalgia for it? Familiarity, sure, but not nostalgia; Kairi's said multiple times she doesn't remember anything at all about her old home.

For lack of better words...
You get the idea :p

Patamon246

Awards
Well, either it was Kairi remembering Radiant Garden or Ven remembering one of the many castles he has seen. I think probebly the latter rather than the former as the castle is more round than Radiant Garden's.

KMS

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It was definitely Kairi's heart faintly remembering something. That the castle doesn't look really like the actual Radiant Garden castle (which was only fully shown in BBS) is explainable by the fact they either didn't pay too much attention or, more likely, the final design of the RG-castle was not finished when that picture for the slides was made.

As we come to know in Re: Coded Ven's memories are inaccessible even to Naminé. That's most likely due to the great damage to Ven's heart, so Sora couldn't possibly access them.
Furthermore, Ven's heart is sleeping inside Sora to endure the pain...Kairi's heart was not while inside Sora, so it being a faint flash of her memories is much more likely.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice

Just because you don't remember something doesn't mean the memory isn't there.

Hi there, Chain of Memories.

Odysseus

Just because you don't remember something doesn't mean the memory isn't there.

Hi there, Chain of Memories.

Yes, but "nostalgia" is something completely different. For it to be there, you NEED to remember. Like "Oh wow, I remember how awesome Ocarina of Time was back in the day, I'm so nostalgic for it!"

Sign already cleared up that she had "poor" word choice, but for actual nostalgia, you need to remember it. Without remembering, you can't have nostalgia, despite whether or not the memory is there.

Volktio

I think that castle is Radiant Garden as how it was planned to be before they made BBS so yeah it kinda a reaction from Kairi's Heart ;)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I think that castle is Radiant Garden as how it was planned to be before they made BBS so yeah it kinda a reaction from Kairi's Heart ;)

Radiant Garden = Hollow Bastion :\ They'd have to have an idea of what it looked like prior to the Heartless invasion while designing it anyways. It really looks nothing like the castle in RG.

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Uh, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Radiant Garden. It's just that part of the game where they're hinting at the fact that Kairi's heart is inside of Sora. I doubt they would try to hint that someone else of whom we haven't seen yet (at the time) would also be inside Sora. So I would have to say, without a doubt, that it's Radiant Garden. I also doubt that this scene from Kingdom Hearts will be brought up again anytime in the future.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
While we're on the subject of Radiant Garden, why did everyone (Squall, Yuffie, Aerith, etc.) forget that it was called that after it became Hollow Bastion?

Etherealin

To me, it looks like The Castle of Dreams, but I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be Radiant Garden/Hollow Bastion. Would be interesting if it was Ven's memory.

Christhor

Of course it's Hollow Bastion, it's the only thing that makes sense in accordance to the original game. There's no way it could be something like the castle in BBS, which I am for some reason not able to remember the name of, and Ven's heart resonating with it. That would mean that Nomura actually planed out these things, which he didn't, at least not back then.

It's Kairi's heart resonating to Hollow Bastion, an old picture of it.

Odysseus

That would mean that Nomura actually planed out these things, which he didn't, at least not back then.

Nomura retcons things all the time. Really, he could easily switch it to that. For example: Xigbar: "Ha! He used to give me that same look!"

Roxas, right? He's Sora's Nobody, and spent a great deal of time with Xigbar in the Organization. Everyone seems to be calling towards Roxas in Sora and "confusing" the two of them. There's no doubt.

Nomura: "Nope! Now it's Ven he was talking about. I put a scene in BBS just for that!"

Last edited:

snow_flake40

Awards
Honestly, I think it's just some random picture of some random castle. It wouldn't even make sense for there to be a picture from RG just lying around Deep Jungle. I think Kairi's deep unsurfaced memories just reacted with the image of a castle, making Sora think it was familiar.

Or it could very easily be as other people have said and it's supposed to be the castle from RG but the final design was eventually changed in BBS. Whatever. In any case, the purpose of this scene is just to hint at Kairi's heart being inside Sora. I don't think we really need to dwell on it all that much. It's most likely never going to come up again.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
To me, it looks like The Castle of Dreams, but I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be Radiant Garden/Hollow Bastion. Would be interesting if it was Ven's memory.

Interesting maybe, but to 99,99% unlikely because at times of KH 1 the continuation of the story wasn't planned out.
Also, there have been given several in-universe explanations why Kairi's heart remembering is not only more fitting/reasonable but also why it being Ven's is closely to impossible.

Nomura retcons things all the time. Really, he could easily switch it to that. For example: Xigbar: "Ha! He used to give me that same look!"

Roxas, right? He's Sora's Nobody, and spent a great deal of time with Xigbar in the Organization. Everyone seems to be calling towards Roxas in Sora and "confusing" the two of them. There's no doubt.

Nomura: "Nope! Now it's Ven he was talking about. I put a scene in BBS just for that!"

Somehow I was just waiting for some of the retcon-whiners to come around again...in a story that it still running it is normal that new facts get included and give older scenes an other meaning sometimes.
Unlike KH 1 though, by the time of KH 2 Nomura had already planned out the continuation of the story so it is entirely possible that this sentence from Xigbar was meant to reference Ventus all along, just like when he called Sora a "dud" with the keyblade in comparison to the others (TAV) later in the Castle that never was.

In Days Xigbar even amusingly slightly "compares" Roxas and Ven when going on a mission with him.

That said, was it really spoken out or confirmed at one point that Xigbar was referring to Roxas when confronting Sora in KH 2 at Hollow Bastion?
Or is that just a widely accepted assumption made up by the fanbase much like the yellow eyes = darkness thing?

Funny thing is...I can't even remember if Roxas ever even gave Xigbar the "shut up"-angry look Ventus and Sora use himself.

Honestly, I think it's just some random picture of some random castle. It wouldn't even make sense for there to be a picture from RG just lying around Deep Jungle. I think Kairi's deep unsurfaced memories just reacted with the image of a castle, making Sora think it was familiar.

Or it could very easily be as other people have said and it's supposed to be the castle from RG but the final design was eventually changed in BBS. Whatever. In any case, the purpose of this scene is just to hint at Kairi's heart being inside Sora. I don't think we really need to dwell on it all that much. It's most likely never going to come up again.

That's actually true, lol, it's not like Ansem scattered dias of his castle all over other worlds...*ggg*.
The explanation with Kairi is surely the correct one considering everything surrounding it...the only way I could see Nomura changing that is when he would use the fact that Ven's heart is connected to Sora's more closely than any other, but why would he do that?

Exactly, that's the purpose of that scene and I also strongly doubt it will play much more of a role in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back