• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Cat Returns

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
So because I work at an anime store and i have all these dvds at my disposal, i've started collecting and watching all the ghibli films two a week. this week was howl's moving castle, one of my favourites, and the cat returns, one hadn't seen before

now to be honest before I watched it I was a little concerned that it wouldn't be up to spec with my favourites, howl's and spirited away, because it wasn't directed by miyazaki. of course, i watched it anyway, i wasn't that concerned

anyway, I loved it to death. I think I even enjoyed it more than howl's and kiki's delivery service. The animtion was very fluid, and the story was well constructed and made more sense in it's english transfer than miyazaki's films seem to. The voice acting was pretty good, too. I really enjoyed cary elwes and tim curry's performance.

tl;dr the baron is so cool

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Yeah, I think this might have been like the third ghibli I saw after Mononoke and Spirited Away.

It was such a great film, Tim Curry was the best.

Yes. The Baron is one cool motherfucker.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
the film's great but see the only problem i have with it is that the girl is attracted to a cat.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
this was the first ghibli film i saw, but i can't remember any of it and even if i did, i wouldn't be able to appreciate any of it since it was so long ago. i guess i have to watch it again because i vaguely remember it being quite interesting and now this thread has once again piqued my interest in the movie.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
this was probably my fourth or fifth Ghibli movie, but i found the original to be better. I forget the name, but The Cat's Return is basically a spin off of it.

Edit: It's called whisper of the heart...or something close to that. It's good to watch this movie after the Cat's Return to get an idea of how things came into place, but i have to warn you that this is probably one of the longer Ghibli films.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
hey man, my mum has this movie.

don't know how i feel about watching girl cartoons though. not enough manly men in tights.

Vandread

Impossible Soul
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
this was probably my fourth or fifth Ghibli movie, but i found the original to be better. I forget the name, but The Cat's Return is basically a spin off of it.

Edit: It's called whisper of the heart...or something close to that. It's good to watch this movie after the Cat's Return to get an idea of how things came into place, but i have to warn you that this is probably one of the longer Ghibli films.

I actually downloaded Whisper of the Heart about a month or two ago and haven't watched it yet. I didn't know Cat was connected to it. I'll have to check it out too then.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
it's also apparently very dull, but i'll have to watch it anyway

LOL, i thought they were both good to be honest, but the only reason i preferred Whisper of the Heart more was the fact that it delved into the emotions of the main character more so than in the Cat's Return. I kind of wished that the Cat's Return was a little longer and a bit more adventurous in the cat world, but that's just me. Both are a good watch so you most likely wouldn't be wasting your time on either.

I actually downloaded Whisper of the Heart about a month or two ago and haven't watched it yet. I didn't know Cat was connected to it. I'll have to check it out too then.

Well certain points of the story gives you an idea of how a couple of the characters came to be as shown in the Cat's Return. These parts of the story are minor and are more set towards the imagination of the main characters while the major story revolves around the history, and/or sight of the characters being while meshing with real world events (figuratively speaking) upon the world that surrounds the main character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back