• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► The Fan-Fic Writer's Moving Sidewalk

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Wow.. that's really really nice writing. :D I love your style. *needs to start practicing her writing more* Anyways, yea that's... bloody. Very bloody indeed. So when you get done, will you be posting that story then?

That's the plan :)

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Nice stuff, Nevermore!

Anyway, when I write fanfiction, I find that the my stories involving existing characters are usually very depressing, and the ones that are about OC's are slightly more upbeat. Not to say they don't have their sad moments, but I usually try to end on a somewhat positive note. But with canon characters, they always seem to end on a positive note in the games/books/movies, so I like to mix things up. Also, I love writing fanfics about villains. It's really a challenge to make one-dimensional villains seem relatable, and I like that challenge.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Aria

braver by the minute
Actually, with regards to one to the "limb" example, here's a scene from something I posted here a while ago (which will be rewritten when I decide to seriously tackle this story this summer). Again, this is a bit old, so don't blame me for the quality of the writing :(

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oh god, I couldn't even finish it because I was feeling a little sick.

Nice job :)

I prefer AU's that aren't just the "lets throw these character into high school" fics. I also think that the canon characters should be close to the personality that they have in the games.

In terms of what I've done to my characters...

-I'm making my main character's brother the villain
-He's going to have to watch his brother die without making up from their lifelong fight
-His best friend in the world is going to abandon him for a couple years
-At least 2 characters end up dying in just about anything I write :P

I don't write a ton of fan-fics so that's part of it, but for my regular stories I'm a lot meaner to my characters (just using first initial to make it easier).

-V watches her boyfriend die right after she tells him to go to hell
-V is the reason why he gets killed in the first place
-V has to go back into hiding because of his death
-A (V's friend) has night terrors. very violent night terrors *laughs evilly*
-A ends up going crazy
-C causes the car accident that kills her dad
-B has severe asthma that winds her up in the hospital a couple times
-S dies in an explosion
-P and a different S get captured and tortured

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
Re: The Author's Corner

Reading the last two pages brings to mind a point that I imagine most here have realized already but is worth repeating nonetheless. Pain and suffering do not make a fanfiction deep or emotionally engaging by default. This is a mistake I used to make in my writing. I saw it as an arrow pointed straight to the heart, no matter who the reader or what the object, because pain is an experience we all relate to and we all recoil from. But there is, as Ursula K. LeGuin points out, a banality to pain and a senselessness to suffering that kills emotion rather than enlivens it. We can't just use it as a hair trigger to pull emotion whenever we think the story needs it. Pain, in literature as in life, has to teach us something about ourselves, or else it is meaningless, inconsequential and, ultimately, useless. This is why, as Nevermore points out, a list of sufferings endured by characters outside of their contexts seems gimmicky and hollow--unfortunately, this can be equally true within the story.

Anyway, that obviously leaves the topic of fanfictions somewhat, so going back to tangerine's...
tangerine said:
http://forums.khinsider.com/foyer/148829-username-change-request-thread.html#post5084500

Now, that's how you write a fan fiction. Read the rules to better understand what's going on
Yes, this was rather interesting; perhaps a similarly challenging project could be set up in the actual creative writing section. I particularly enjoyed your take on it, tangerine, though I would point out that the word "long" (3rd paragraph) does not begin with a vowel.

Aqualung

In my fanfics, not only do I sometimes like to add dark and gritty elements, but I also like to take characters that have had the least development in canon and give them either their own story or part in the story where they go through a good deal of character development.

If you were to read the fanfic currently in my sig, you'll notice that not only does Kairi gain new powers and start her own journey at the cost of her status as a Princess of Heart, but she has experiences that affect both her self esteem (such as victory in combat) or teach her something greater about the world around and either develop as a result or try to change that aspect of the world around her.

One example of such: In only part of the fanfic in my sig, Kairi gains the power of darkness with Naminé's help and Riku's unwilling help. When Kairi first arrives at Radiant Garden with Riku and Mickey to learn she's the Princess of that world, Mickey tells her not to use her new dark powers and to hide the fact that she has them while they visit that world, and that otherwise it would cause an uproar for the people of Radiant Garden because of the symbol that Kairi is for them (their "purest of heart" Princess, which is no longer the case by the time she arrives). She is forced to outright lie or bend the truth to hide the knowledge that she has gained darkness to the citizens of Radiant Garden. When she finds out that her grandmother is dying, she doesn't want to lie to her about how she gained her new powers but ends up having to do so because she doesn't want to create stress for her grandma that might worsen the critical condition she is in. Kairi's grandmother sees her granddaughter in the new Anti Form that she can turn into with the dark powers, and tells Kairi about how she met Terra one day in Radiant Garden, who rescued her from Unversed (When he was on his way to save Master Xehanort from Braig). Just before dying, she states that perhaps just because one uses dark powers doesn't automatically mean they are evil, and she predicts that Kairi will figuratively be "a light shining through the darkness" for those who wish to use dark powers for good. It is because of this event that Kairi begins to feel resentment towards the prejudice that the Realm of Light has toward the darkness that is a part of everyone's heart, and wishes to break down those walls by using her new dark powers for good, hoping that others will recognize it and begin to abandon those prejudices. Mickey wants her to remain in her normal form while she is at Radiant Garden, and Kairi begins to hold a grudge towards Mickey for suppressing opportunities for her to prove to everyone that she is still a good person, even though she has access to the dark powers.

Because of stuff like this, I basically gave Kairi just about more character development in the first two chapters of my fanfic than perhaps the entire Kingdom Hearts canon she has been a part of. That's one example of things I like to do with really undeveloped characters of canon in my fanfics.

Last edited:

tangerine

Awards
Re: The Author's Corner

Yes, this was rather interesting; perhaps a similarly challenging project could be set up in the actual creative writing section. I particularly enjoyed your take on it, tangerine, though I would point out that the word "long" (3rd paragraph) does not begin with a vowel.

Thanks for pointing that out! I replaced it with: "an elongated evening". I'm glad you enjoyed it, as well.

Bri

How not to create Gary Stu and Mary Sue?? Need help here.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
So, I've been tossing around fanfic-y ideas since I've been slow at writing my current project. And due to a current obsession, I'm messing around with a Scott Pilgrim fic idea. Likely it would have original characters and just set in the universe, but it just seems so possible and it was like two in the morning when I convinced my self of this, so. It still sounds crazy to me.

The biggest challenge of course is conveying the right brand of humor, as in both the movie and novels, there's a big thing on visual humor. What I want to experiment with is actually taking advantage of the way I construct the writing- using that sort of erratic or subtle tone that may arise by altering the words themselves. I wouldn't go as far as changing font or anything, more like capitalization and grammar stuffs and spacing and such. I feel like I could go somewhere with that.

and so i just vented

how are you guys

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Currently, I'm struggling with my Naruto/Mortal Kombat fanfic, idea-wise.

So, my question is to you guys: What do you do when your stuck on a certain point in a chapter of your fanfic/original story? What kinds of exercises/activities do you do?

Izayoi

galactic cancer
Currently, I'm struggling with my Naruto/Mortal Kombat fanfic, idea-wise.

So, my question is to you guys: What do you do when your stuck on a certain point in a chapter of your fanfic/original story? What kinds of exercises/activities do you do?

This is something I come across often. In my own fanfiction, there's a very casual to feel to it when there isn't any action going on, and even within the narrative itself. So, I like to orchestrate little 'one-shot' stories in my head that show what my characters do in their down time. It helps you get into the mind of your characters, and as you create these new, seemingly separate situations, you can find a way to tie them into the rest of your story. If not that, then what you've thought up can at least help to establish your settings and characters in your mind.

I'm not saying to write these little ideas- that's why they're so little. It's just a more linear way of brainstorming.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
So, looking over my past attempts to do a fanfiction, I noticed there was a lack of direction with some, and others, it was just my writing that needed work. But, what I think is that the motivation to continue it died out. I believe this because i myself didn't feel emotionally attached to my story(s). what do you guys think of this? Does there have to be an emotional/professional attachment to one's work or could something be written purely out of boredom?

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Well, do you love to write? Do you enjoy it? Is it your passion?

Or is it a hobby, something you'd like to be good at?

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Well, do you love to write? Do you enjoy it? Is it your passion?

Or is it a hobby, something you'd like to be good at?

That's the thing. It's both. I've loved to write since the start of summer of 08, and I also want to be good at it. But when writer's block, and a lack of inspiration and motivation come into play, I begin to question if I'm doing it for the sake of me and my purpose in life or something deeper than that. This is one of the main reasons I asked the question of whether or not there has to be an emotional attachment to one's work(such as fanfics, and poetry).

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Kinda pointless but I felt like saying it: I'm finally gonna actually start to get back into writing (for real this time) now that I no longer have any computer science/engineering/math classes that I need to worry about anymore. Gonna start with a fanfic oneshot so I'll get a bit more leniency on the setting (as it's already been created). I don't see a whole lot of FMA fanfics here, so it's gonna be fun :D

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Kinda pointless but I felt like saying it: I'm finally gonna actually start to get back into writing (for real this time) now that I no longer have any computer science/engineering/math classes that I need to worry about anymore. Gonna start with a fanfic oneshot so I'll get a bit more leniency on the setting (as it's already been created). I don't see a whole lot of FMA fanfics here, so it's gonna be fun :D
FMA? Full Metal Alchemist?

Regardless, that's good to hear. I'll look forward to it.

I feel terrible since it's been months since I've posted updates to my stories. It's mostly just because I don't ever have the time to write. Every time I sit down at the computer for any extended period of time I get a "Are you looking for scholarships?" from my mom, so when I actually have the drive and the inspiration to write something I end up doing other stuff. And I'm just a slow writer. I feel like by the time I get my posts out no one will remember or care about my stories.

Also, I've just come up with a good idea for an original story, but I feel like I don't have the time to write it, since I'm already doing two long fanfics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back