• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Fun Fact Thread!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Gram

Banned
Awards
Fun Fact: At the center of the galaxy is what is thought to be a black hole.

Fun Fact: The Mayans knew if this black hole at the galaxies center referring to it as The Rift.

Fun Fact: The Mayans also had a near accurate guess of the age of the universe placing it at 16.2 billion years old while current science rates it at 14 to 15 billion.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Fun Fact: it's a growing theory, or at least one of the more spoken ones, in science that black holes are perhaps new universes. Some have proposed that stuff lost to a black hole is pulled into that new universe feeding it's growth. Kinda like an older universe (i.e the parent) feeding a newer one. (the child)

^ Its a bit of a watered down generalization of the actual theory but ya get the gist. ;3

Gram

Banned
Awards
Fun Fact: The sun generates a magnetic shield just like the earth does but it's field stretches as or farther than jupiter. Not only that but it's field is affected by what's called a "solar wind". The resulting combination of affects protects not only earth but quite a bit of our solar system from radiation and other energies in space that could very well do great harm or extinction to carbon based life such as us.

(this phenomenon is called the helio sphere)

Gram

Banned
Awards
Fun Fact~

Despite being most popular for the short story of Sleepy Hollow, headless horsemen do stretch back farther and are actual legends in the folklore of Celtics and even Germany.
The Irish/Celtic version is that of a fairy known as a "dullahan". This is the version most similar to Sleepy Hollow. The dullahan is a headless fairy that rides along with it's head under it's arm or holding it's head high to see a distance away. It's said death occurs when they stop riding. It'll call out the name of a person who automatically and instantly vanishes/perishes. (nother version has the dullahan riding on a black carriage)

There's also a Scottish version which is about a clansmen named Ewen who got decapitated in a battle.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
If you keep spouting facts alone, everyone is gonna start getting scared XD

That idea about black holes is actually REALLY interesting. I mean, where does it all go? It can't just cease to exist. That wouldn't really make sense.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Why would it scare others away? Besides if others would post one it wouldn't look like I'm the only one. xD I mean just look at those posts, many are several days apart.

I think the black hole theory is interesting as well. If you think about it that would mean that are own universe, which is said to have a black hole in the center, would've been born from the black hole in another older universe.
Like a cycle.

ChibiHearts249

Awards
Like black hole inception!

FACTS!: The ocarina is a very old but simple instrument. It was one of the first wind instruments that was not tubular in shape, and was shaped more like an egg originally. The style many Americans used to boost morale during the World Wars were the 'sweet potato' style ocarinas like the Ocarina of Time in the Zelda game. The Ocarina produces pure tones which lack any overtone, and the word comes from the Italian word for "little goose."

I just purchased one at our local Renaissance Festival from Dragon Ocarinas. I love it!
http://www.dragonocarinas.com/about.html

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Gram

Banned
Awards
^ That's just cool, always loved that instrument thanks to OoT. xD

Fun Fall Facts:
As we all know fall (and subsequently spring) begins on the fall equinox on Sept. 21/22/23 but the word "equinox" itself means "equal night" in Latin.

ChibiHearts249

Awards
FACT!: It is commonly said that a person can stand up an egg on a flat surface during one of the equinoxes. This is actually true (I've done it myself) but with a catch...You can do it EVERY day of the year!

Gram

Banned
Awards
Fun Fall Fact 2: The bobbing of apples present in many fall or halloween festivals/parties dates back far back as Roman times.

ChibiHearts249

Awards
FACT!: Ireland is the general birthplace of Halloween, and contains many of its roots.

FACT2!: As the story goes, there was a stingy man named Jack who tricked the Devil on numerous accounts. A fitting punishment was that he was denied access to Heaven and Hell; so he therefore roams around and uses his lantern to lead lost and wandering people further astray. This was how the Jack 'O Lanturn was named.

FACT3!: To mark the end of the Celtic calendar year, people would put out treats during the night of Samhain to placate spirits that might visit their homes. This was an early precursor to trick-or-treating.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Fun Fact: Hippos can't swim or float. They just stay in the shallow end of the water. lol

ChibiHearts249

Awards
FACT!: The Aye Aye of Madagascar has strangely-shaped fingers. The longest and thinnest finger taps on bark while the ears listen for the sound of hollow cavities. After biting through the wood it then uses the finger to pull out bugs inside. The other long finger is used for grooming.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Gram

Banned
Awards
Fun Fact: The X's you see on moonshine jugs originally stood for how many times the liquor had been through the still.

ChibiHearts249

Awards
That's pretty good! I always thought they were just placeholders in TV shows that just became popularized.

FACT: The letter 'X' in Greek is the first letter of the word for 'Christ.' Abbreviating Christmas with Xmas has been done since the early 1500s.

Anagram

Banned
Cool thread. :biggrin: A fun fact I learned today was that the author of the James Bond novels which inspired the movies was a real spy himself.

Back