• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The KH 2.5 Voice Actor Dilemma

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
After someone brought up the issue of Willa potentially not coming back to voice Aqua (the only thing stopping her would be conflicting schedules with Arrow) it got me thinking.

If she wasn't to come back and voice the new Secret Episode (in this scenario, the SE is in the game), what do you think would happen? Do you think it would be unvoiced, or would they hire someone new to do the ending, in which case all of Aqua's lines would have to be re-recorded to fit this new voice.

The same goes for Namine. Brittany Snow has moved on since she never returned and we have Meaghan Martin voicing Namine ever since. Will they make Meghan re-record all of Namine's lines in KH 2.5 just to fit in the with new Namine scene, or will Disney pull some of it's magic and somehow get the best of both worlds?

Dandelion

baroque bitch
Awards
After someone brought up the issue of Willa potentially not coming back to voice Aqua (the only thing stopping her would be conflicting schedules with Arrow) it got me thinking.

If she wasn't to come back and voice the new Secret Episode (in this scenario, the SE is in the game), what do you think would happen? Do you think it would be unvoiced, or would they hire someone new to do the ending, in which case all of Aqua's lines would have to be re-recorded to fit this new voice.

I don't even want to think about it, I'm just going to hope that she's available. This localization leaves a lot of room for questions, though. One can't really help but wonder.

The same goes for Namine. Brittany Snow has moved on since she never returned and we have Meaghan Martin voicing Namine ever since. Will they make Meghan re-record all of Namine's lines in KH 2.5 just to fit in the with new Namine scene, or will Disney pull some of it's magic and somehow get the best of both worlds?

I've been wondering about this since 1.5 finished up development. I see a few options:

1: Namine's lines are re-recorded for consistency, and it's like Brittany Snow never happened (they did this with Christopher Lee in the Days cinematic, after all.)
2: They just have Martin do the new scene and hope no one notices. I can't see them doing this as they've been meticulous about redubbing for consistency since Kh2.
3: And this is the most unsettling, but they don't have to dub the new scenes. Even though the Japanese will have theirs voiced, there's nothing stopping them from giving us the actual final mix experience and not dubbing the new scenes.
4: Or, magically...impossibly, they get Snow back after an eight year absence to record a single scene.

All of them sound equally ridiculous, but one of them is bound to happen.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I don't even want to think about it, I'm just going to hope that she's available. This localization leaves a lot of room for questions, though. One can't really help but wonder.
I can't imagine any one other than Willa as Aqua. I think she did a fantastic job in Birth by Sleep and it would be a real shame if she didn't return. Square Enix and Disney really need to include "Must return for future projects" into the contracts.

I've been wondering about this since 1.5 finished up development. I see a few options:

1: Namine's lines are re-recorded for consistency, and it's like Brittany Snow never happened (they did this with Christopher Lee in the Days cinematic, after all.)
2: They just have Martin do the new scene and hope no one notices. I can't see them doing this as they've been meticulous about redubbing for consistency since Kh2.
3: And this is the most unsettling, but they don't have to dub the new scenes. Even though the Japanese will have theirs voiced, there's nothing stopping them from giving us the actual final mix experience and not dubbing the new scenes.
4: Or, magically...impossibly, they get Snow back after an eight year absence to record a single scene.

The two that are plausible, to me, are 1 and 2. 1 would be if they put effort in, 2 would be if they felt it isn't necessary to redub all those lines.
3 would be the worst-case scenario, and be absolutely devastating since the voices are what brings the scenes to life. 4 is the least likely to happen, since it has been 8 years and Brittany just got cast in a new TV series (An American Education). She's fallen the same way as Billy Zane.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
Typically if this sort of thing happens in the voice industry, they'll just cut their losses and keep what they have and just use the new actor for the new things. It's unlikely they'd get somebody who doesn't sound similar to her.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I imagine they would just hire someone that sounds similar to Willa to voice Aqua if she doesn't return. Shouldn't be too hard.

I'm kind of neutral about it either way

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I can't imagine any one other than Willa as Aqua. I think she did a fantastic job in Birth by Sleep and it would be a real shame if she didn't return. Square Enix and Disney really need to include "Must return for future projects" into the contracts.
Agreed. I'm optimistic she'll return, though. It can't take that long to record what she'd need to do, so having it conflict with scheduling would be a real shame. D:

Something tells me with Namine they're just going to re-record all of her lines. It gives them an excuse to push the release back a million years and we all know how SENA loves doing that to us.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Typically if this sort of thing happens in the voice industry, they'll just cut their losses and keep what they have and just use the new actor for the new things. It's unlikely they'd get somebody who doesn't sound similar to her.
I'm assuming you're only referring to the Aqua part and not referencing the Namine issue here?

I imagine they would just hire someone that sounds similar to Willa to voice Aqua if she doesn't return. Shouldn't be too hard.
I've not heard anyone who sounds anything like Willa. I feel like her voice is unique, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to find someone convincing of that.

Agreed. I'm optimistic she'll return, though. It can't take that long to record what she'd need to do, so having it conflict with scheduling would be a real shame. D:

Something tells me with Namine they're just going to re-record all of her lines. It gives them an excuse to push the release back a million years and we all know how SENA loves doing that to us.
I'm fairly certain Willa will return, but I still have so many doubts and worries that a press release will come out and it will show the new VA for Aqua. I will be crushed :(

They'd do it at the same time as Meaghan recording the lines for Re:coded. Something tells me she's going to see a lot of the recording booth this summer.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I'm fairly certain Willa will return, but I still have so many doubts and worries that a press release will come out and it will show the new VA for Aqua. I will be crushed :(

They'd do it at the same time as Meaghan recording the lines for Re:coded. Something tells me she's going to see a lot of the recording booth this summer.
If that happens we'll...we'll start a petition! It's the Internet's answer to every problem.

Ugh, I'd really hate to see Brittany Snow's part cut out like that because I think she was cast perfectly. But if it will be, it will be.

How hilarious would it be if the press release comes out and Brittany Snow's back but Willa Holland isn't? I'd pretty much ragequit life.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
As for Aqua, I'm not so sure what to feel about her not coming back to voice the FM-exclusive scenes. I've seen in that other thread the email reply that was allegedly written by Willa Holland herself, but the source is rather dubious and I just couldn't take it seriously.

As for Namine...

They don't sound ridiculous, nah. At least not numbers 1 and 2.

That said, while I think number 1 would probably be the best-case scenario if they really care about consistency, I personally think number 2 is not all that far-fetched and is well within the realm of plausibility; after all, Kairi's voice actor in KH1 and Re:CoM differ, and it was kept the way it was in 1.5. I don't know if they could have had the option of having Alyson Stoner re-recording Kairi's lines in KH1 (which they probably could seeing as she had to record Xion's new lines for Days the movie) and this might be a poor comparison, but inconsistency has happened before.

Going by this, I guess if Willa Holland wasn't to return... then they would probably assign a sound-alike to fill in for her? That's what I think, at least.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
If that happens we'll...we'll start a petition! It's the Internet's answer to every problem.

Ugh, I'd really hate to see Brittany Snow's part cut out like that because I think she was cast perfectly. But if it will be, it will be.

How hilarious would it be if the press release comes out and Brittany Snow's back but Willa Holland isn't? I'd pretty much ragequit life.
Brittany Snow was problem more for the Tweens more than being perfect, but she really hit the role out of the park (despite not knowing anything about what she was doing).

I'd be so annoyed if that happened. It'd be like, Willa just go to the recording studio on the weekends when you're not filming Arrow. Brittany did it while filming her show!

As for Aqua, I'm not so sure what to feel about her not coming back to voice the FM-exclusive scenes. I've seen in that other thread the email reply that was allegedly written by Willa Holland herself, but the source is rather dubious and I just couldn't take it seriously.
Yeah, there wasn't any real source there at all, and it didn't really seem legit but there was always the chance of her never coming back :(

That said, while I think number 1 would probably be the best-case scenario if they really care about consistency, I personally think number 2 is not all that far-fetched and is well within the realm of plausibility; after all, Kairi's voice actor in KH1 and Re:CoM differ, and it was kept the way it was in 1.5. I don't know if they could have had the option of having Alyson Stoner re-recording Kairi's lines in KH1 (which they probably could seeing as she had to record Xion's new lines for Days the movie) and this might be a poor comparison, but inconsistency has happened before.
However, the voices for Kairi were in different games and not the same game.
In KH 2.5, Meaghan will be voicing Namine in BBS and Re:coded. It would make sense for SE to just make Meaghan record all of Namine's lines in KHII since it would be more consistent with the actual game.

Going by this, I guess if Willa Holland wasn't to return... then they would probably assign a sound-alike to fill in for her? That's what I think, at least.
If they get a sound-alike to record the few lines she has, then they might as well keep this new person since I don't want to go through the pain that is the Hayden/Alison Kairi/Xion thing SE has set up for themselves.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
It's not like Willa's recording for a whole new game. All she has to do is record a few lines. If Square pays her fairly, I don't see this as an issue.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It's not like Willa's recording for a whole new game. All she has to do is record a few lines. If Square pays her fairly, I don't see this as an issue.
That's what we all thought about Hayden, she just had to voice a few lines (Re:CoM, 358/2 Days) but she still didn't come in.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well, for one thing it is Disney that fronts the voice acting bill if I remember correctly.

Even if it is a few lines, she might not be able to do it if she isn't in town (which from what I hear, they are fairly flexible with their VO scheduling so she could fly in to Burbank and record at night and fly back out if necessary) or is busy or just refuses.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
If we're experiencing another gap (which is possible since HJO hasn't been brought in for any recording and Japan is like 1/4 or half way through), then VA recording might not start until like April/May/June.
In that case, filming for this season of Arrow will have finished (all the way up in Canada), and personally, if I were Willa, I'd book KH as a summer gig and spend the rest of my time down in Cali at the beach 8)

But I'm not Willa and she might have other plans :c

BlackBlitz7

Website
burstingenergy.ultimaterpg.org
I'm sure I'm one of the few but I've always dislike Snow. Like it was mentioned, if they could record all of Namine's lines over I'd be more than grateful. Or they may just leave it untouched. It'd be cool if they did just a little touching up. Y'know just try to get every character a single voice if possible.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Y'know just try to get every character a single voice if possible.
If it were that easy, they wouldn't have made Hayden voice Xion in DDD ;~;

One that should be talked about but it probably isn't the right time is Jason Dohring. Ever since BBS, I've feared him and Willa never returning. It was nice to hear them in DDD, but that was only archived voiced.
Hopefully there's something in their contracts.

BlackBlitz7

Website
burstingenergy.ultimaterpg.org
Yeah I don't get the decisions on that.
I personally wish that anything Xion would be Stoner and anything Kairi would be Hayden.

As for Jason Dohring. I didn't dislike and I'd like him to come back. That scream toward the end topped the Japanese one, at least for me anyway. But he did receive a lot of backlash from fans, right? I dunno if Disney pays attention to that and bases any returning actors on that reception. So who knows?

Something I really want to find out is how the actors themselves feel about their roles. I don't think I've seen a single article about how either Holland or Dohring felt about their roles in such a popular series.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Yeah I don't get the decisions on that.
I personally wish that anything Xion would be Stoner and anything Kairi would be Hayden.
This would happen in an ideal world.

As for Jason Dohring. I didn't dislike and I'd like him to come back. That scream toward the end topped the Japanese one, at least for me anyway. But he did receive a lot of backlash from fans, right? I dunno if Disney pays attention to that and bases any returning actors on that reception. So who knows?
Many people felt he was unemotional and flat with every sentence he said. I liked it, I thought it was a good fit for Terra (much like Willa's soft voice for Aqua, excluding when she yells because when she yells she's mad 8D).
Hopefully for Disney, they ignore the fans reactions and just keep Jason on for consistency... though they're not one for being consistent.

Something I really want to find out is how the actors themselves feel about their roles. I don't think I've seen a single article about how either Holland or Dohring felt about their roles in such a popular series.
If we could ever nab an interview with either one of them, that would be one of the first questions we'd ask. It's always interesting to see how the VA's feel about their characters, and about the series as well. I remember Haley once said his sister Emily loved the KH series and would hog Chain of Memories so it's nice to know that they use to play the games.

Dandelion

baroque bitch
Awards
If we could ever nab an interview with either one of them, that would be one of the first questions we'd ask. It's always interesting to see how the VA's feel about their characters, and about the series as well. I remember Haley once said his sister Emily loved the KH series and would hog Chain of Memories so it's nice to know that they use to play the games.

I don't know about Willa (her performance as Aqua is one of the best in the series, in my opinion, Birth By Sleep had a fine cast. I never understood the backlash, of course I'm of the opinion that American fans shouldn't really compare to the Japanese voices...and if they did, wtf guys, Nomura was amazed by Willa's performance in its similarities to the Japanese, if he has any say in it ((which he does a little)) she'll be back unless it's her own will holy hell this is a long parenthetical I am so sorry)

ANYWAY in the case of Jason, we found out he was playing Terra because of an interview he did, and he REALLY sounded like he enjoyed his time with the character. So unless Veronica Mars rockets him off into super busy town and Willa is unavailable I am confident they'll be returning. Please, God.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
According to IMDB, Veronica Mars: The Movie has finished filming, and he has no other projects lined up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back