• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Next Smash Game: Will Everyone Return?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sonofjafar

Awards
In Smash Ultimate, we had quite a lot of fighters (not even including the deluxe mii costumes). However I have to ask, how many of those fighters will come back in the next game. I get Sora probably won’t make it but I’m curious if anyone here sees any other cuts in the foreseeable future of the franchise.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
HAHAHA.........nooooooo. Ultimate happened as it did due to the same team carrying over from SSB4 & them being able to reuse much of the assets. Next Smash will almost certainly be a fresh start development wise. So whomever makes that game will be starting from scratch & it'll take a lot of work on recreating the veterans.

Imagine for example the next game has 50 fighters: 40 vets & 10 new. That's a HUGE day 1 roster for most any fighting game, but it's also less than half of Ultimate's roster returning. But it would be a colossal undertaking to even get that many, it's more than what Brawl & 4 launched with.

Furthermore, Sakurai said he's semi-retired now. so he might have an advisor role but not direct any future SSBs.

Personal opinion: I kinda sorta welcome a smaller roster tbh. A more quality over quantity approach where they do more with the fighters that do make it. Like more character customization (custom moves from SSB4 was an interesting concept but woefully underbaked) & unlockable alternate costumes for example.

Willow A113

Awards
Personal opinion: I kinda sorta welcome a smaller roster tbh. A more quality over quantity approach where they do more with the fighters that do make it. Like more character customization (custom moves from SSB4 was an interesting concept but woefully underbaked) & unlockable alternate costumes for example.
Designing your own alt costumes would be nice. It probably won't have too many options, but I could see a paint tool to change the colors of different parts of their body and clothes; maybe you could give them different hats or something too.
This train of thought led me to think: We might not see Mii fighters return. Nintendo seems to be doing anyway with them.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Designing your own alt costumes would be nice. It probably won't have too many options, but I could see a paint tool to change the colors of different parts of their body and clothes; maybe you could give them different hats or something too.
Depends on the character. Mario & Link got loads of outfits from their respective Switch games. As does Pikachu from LGPE. Samus has had many different armors. FE characters have had some alts in their mobile game, etc.

Willow A113

Awards
Depends on the character. Mario & Link got loads of outfits from their respective Switch games. As does Pikachu from LGPE. Samus has had many different armors. FE characters have had some alts in their mobile game, etc.
That's true, but with that paint option, it's near-limitless, at least color-wise.

Soldier

Awards
Don't forget fierce deity link! easily one of the best skins for link.

Sonofjafar

Awards
Furthermore, Sakurai said he's semi-retired now. so he might have an advisor role but not direct any future SSBs.
I get Sakurai was a big influence on Smash but I just don’t see Nintendo ditching the series over his retirement. Surely there must be somebody at
Nintendo they could being in as a backup.

But anyway, if they do cut the roster, who do you guys think will get the axe. (Other than the obvious choice of Sora of course)

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I get Sakurai was a big influence on Smash but I just don’t see Nintendo ditching the series over his retirement. Surely there must be somebody at
Nintendo they could being in as a backup.

But anyway, if they do cut the roster, who do you guys think will get the axe. (Other than the obvious choice of Sora of course)
Sakurai's said he's tried finding a successor before but it didn't go well. If someone new does take over, it might be a more radical shake up. Like maybe it goes full Powerstone style 3D fighting. Be different enough from the past games to mask the behind the scenes changes.

I expect heavy cuts, in fact if the series is getting full on rebooted, "cut" might not be the right word, they're building from scratch.

Let's be honest: Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, & Ness should not be considered sacred cows just because they were in the first one. Jiggs was always an oddball pick who felt a last minute sub for Meowth & was only there due to a momentary relevance in the anime that isn't the case anymore. Ness & Falcon have been in more SSB games than in their own series. Nintendo ain't ever going to do shit with Earthbound or F-Zero ever again, so just cut the dead weight.

Sheik & Zero Suit Samus have lost their original purpose being divorced from Zelda & Samus. Furthermore ZSS is no longer needed to give Metroid reps now that we have DS & Ridley. I also expect Ravenbeak to be a likely newcomer.

LoZ representation in SSB in general is weird. 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, & a Ganondorf that fights like a slow Captain Falcon. Less reps than FE and no newcomers since Brawl. Lorddie does LoZ need better treatment. Anyway Toon Link is the best Link so he stays & cut the other 2.

& if it wasn't obvious already, how did things get as carried away as it did with FE? 8 characters & half of them are Marths. Like if you were really gonna have that many, they each should've at least been representing different classes like archer or Pegasus knight, or whatever. I guess Marth stays due to being the first & the rest are cut in favor of Engage protag or whatever's the newest game by the time the next SSB comes out.

On third parties, Kazuma & Snake were always a bit out of place due to not having much Nintendo history (I guess the same could be said for Cloud but recent history has amended that).

Perkilator

Awards
Regardless of what’s next for Smash after Ultimate, here are some newcomers I’d like to see in the next game:
  • Toad
  • Raven Beak
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Noah & Mio
  • Dr. Eggman
  • 2B

Sonofjafar

Awards
I’d love to see Tails get promoted from Mii Costume to full on fighter. Also if we could possibly get a Digimon rep, that would be nice

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Tails or Robotnik for 2nd Sonic rep. That's a dilemma.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I'd like it if they did something with Crash and Spyro. Not only were their respective classics remasters available on Switch, and Crash's newest full installment, but both characters have had previous appearances on Nintendo systems before. In fact, more than characters like Snake and Cloud have had.

Not to mention both would make for original movesets.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
If there is a new one in the future, then I hope it features the original 12 and all new characters.

They would be crazy not to keep making them. I mean Ultimate has a little more sales than Breath of the Wild. It's a 250mil cash cow.

Back