• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Disney is well known for great Voice Acting in their Animation so try again :/
Disney/Pixar Animation Voice Acting >>>> Anime Voice Acting

that's different, those are meant for movies. the quality of theenglish cast is bad.

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member

that's different, those are meant for movies. the quality of theenglish cast is bad.

Yes, but you made a blanket statement by saying because it's Disney, that explains why you think the VAing is subpar. Disney/Pixar has been well known for having amazing voice acting in their animated movies, shows (PaTF, Toy Story, etc. etc).

Allister Rose

French Lover

Yes, but you made a blanket statement by saying because it's Disney, that explains why you think the VAing is subpar. Disney/Pixar has been well known for having amazing voice acting in their movies (PaTF, Toy Story, etc. etc).

who said anything about "pixar"???????

Allister Rose

French Lover

Disney owns Pixar Animation so I threw that in. But you know what I was trying to say.

yeah well...the idea doesn't follow the same concept unless it applies. Disney has been cheap when it comes to VA of kh. the sound quality is pretty bad, either that or some of the characters don't speak loud enough. they're not strict with kh when it comes to VA.

Awards

yeah well...the idea doesn't follow the same concept unless it applies. Disney has been cheap when it comes to VA of kh. the sound quality is pretty bad, either that or some of the characters don't speak loud enough. they're not strict with kh when it comes to VA.

I dont hear anything wrong with them...

Silverslide

need some more candy cane

Compare it to the japanese VA, and you can tell the sound quality is different.

You're comparing the english voices to the japanese voices when you should consider them as their own.

Sempied

Well this is assuming tetsuya nomura wanted Willa holland and worked with her. The english cast being star-dubbed is not my choice. It feels they were trying to show off. star-dub cast seems to work best in a comedy.

To me, if the VA's on the trailer sound good, it would give us an impression on how they will be voiced later on. I'm hoping they re-do Aqua's voice, but for now i'm going by the trailer. two lines were enough for me. there was a difference when megumi tayoguchi said she wanted to try on the glass slipper than when willa holland did. With megumi you can feel what she was trying to get at. The first time i heard that line, i felt aqua wasn't doing it out of shyness, but out of stalling, or being actiouss (however you spell that). In the englsih version, she simply sounded shy.

I dislike aqua's voice simply because she seems to be playing her role a little to feminine, and i have yet to hear some strength in her voice. You can disagree with me, or agree. but really, let's not complain about opinion itself.
You remember that in the BBS Ultimania that Nomura commented that he thought the english voice acting was good right? As pointed out via Derek Stephen Prince (Quinton Flynn was predetermined for Axel) that Kingdom Hearts goes auditioning style. Which means that some person including Nomura would be there to judge a voice to fit the right characters. So if Aqua's grunts sounded great you'd assume she'd be great? That's a real double standard considering we've only had about 5 minutes worth of Aqua scenes compared to the entire game length that is 45+ hours.

Wat? Have you SEEN/HEARD of the movie "The Expendables"(Bruce Willis, Jet Li, Terry Crews, Stallone Schwarzenegger, Statham)? (A.K.A. THEE BADASS MOVIE OF THE SUMMER!!!!???)

BOT: Star studded cast has always been a grand line of SE. Just look at how well they had done the Final Fantasy series. Of course there is going to be a difference between Megumi, and Willa. Different perspectives of characters go a long way, as with SE/Willa might've wanted to mold Aqua to her more strong feminine lead rather than that cutesty voice Megumi had Willa could be presenting the stronger side of Aqua. There are plenty more scenes in this game that are emotional that asking for a slipper, and that god awful fruit speech.

Doesn't her being "shy" point out that Willa isn't being a flat, deadpan, emotionless VA? Literally if you want emotionless, deadpan, and flat go watch/listen to Mena Suvari as Aerith. There are 2 side to every personality Megumi the cute Aqua, and Willa the strong badassery Aqua pulls off in this 45+ hour game.

Just look at the Final Fantasy XIII first english trailer: Everyone though it was dirt in voices, bu i turned out to be an earlier recording. Not o mention as I said before o he Jesse McCartney scenario. When people heard Roxas in english at first they cried, died, and moped. Nowadays it's a blood oath practically that must play him.

EDIT: Not all JRPG have good dubs. just look a Baten Kaitos, and.....ugh Chaos Wars. (I'd even throw a Tales of game in there, but Vesperia says no.)

Last edited:

Ikkin

Bronze Member

the sound quality is pretty bad, either that or some of the characters don't speak loud enough.

Here's another possibility: their sound mix for the trailer was awful and not at all representative of the final game. Seriously, whoever decided to halve the volume of the audio in the gameplay clips needs to be smacked. And there's no way to know who's speaking loudly enough when we don't have sound effects to compare their voices to. =/

Last edited:

Key

Exile
Awards

Why are people stil complaining? D:

i swear, when September rolls around and everyone gets BbS, everyone's gonna go "OH AQUA'S AND EVERYROME ELSE'S VAs ARE LIEK TTLY AMAZING I LIEK, TTLY LOVE IT OMFG" like they did with Roxas/Jesse.

for seriously.

KingdomSoul333

Bronze Member

i appreciate all of the voices because it cannot be easy. also why did they cut out the keyblade summoning sound? will it be in the game?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

i appreciate all of the voices because it cannot be easy. also why did they cut out the keyblade summoning sound? will it be in the game?

Seems like SE has just been really lazy with their trailers lately. Really, who forgets to include sound effects in the trailers?

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

Compare it to the japanese VA, and you can tell the sound quality is different.

Um, yeah. One is annoying and in a language I can't understand lol

Seriously my major problem with the VAs in the Japanese versions were:
Terra sounded too old
Aqua sounded too young and high-pitched
Ventus sounded like he was 11
MX sounded fake and also too young

With the English VAs I get:
Terra sounds the right age
Aqua sounds the right age
Ventus sounds the right age
MX sounds the right age. I swear, the Japanese one sounds like a 40-year old guy is trying to do a Japanese attempt at Darth Sidious, it was unbelievable that MX would be an old man (and him being an old man is a key point to the story) With Nimoy, you can believe that MX is an old man who's trying to hide that he's evil when deep down he is.

Besides, you shouldn't compare ENG voices to JAP voices because ENG and JAP voices NEVER sound the same. Go compare Xehanort's Heartless from KH1 in Japanese and English and you'll get a major difference.

Ikkin

Bronze Member

MX sounds the right age. I swear, the Japanese one sounds like a 40-year old guy is trying to do a Japanese attempt at Darth Sidious, it was unbelievable that MX would be an old man (and him being an old man is a key point to the story) With Nimoy, you can believe that MX is an old man who's trying to hide that he's evil when deep down he is.

IMDB says Master Xehanort's VA was born in 1929, so... =/

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

IMDB says Master Xehanort's VA was born in 1929, so... =/

...I'm having a hard time believing that for 2 reasons.
1. We all know IMDB is as reliable as Wikipedia is
2. MX's Japanese voice still sounds fake to me. I honestly don't think a real 80 year old would sound like a bad imitation of Darth Sidious. With Leonard Nimoy, I can believe MX is an old man because I know people who are around 70-80 who sound similar to that... but I never heard anyone who sounds like MX's Japanese voice unless they were pulling off a bad Sidious impression.

But meh, that's just my opinion.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

...I'm having a hard time believing that for 2 reasons.
1. We all know IMDB is as reliable as Wikipedia is
2. MX's Japanese voice still sounds fake to me. I honestly don't think a real 80 year old would sound like a bad imitation of Darth Sidious. With Leonard Nimoy, I can believe MX is an old man because I know people who are around 70-80 who sound similar to that... but I never heard anyone who sounds like MX's Japanese voice unless they were pulling off a bad Sidious impression.

But meh, that's just my opinion.

I'd say that's pretty accurate, he is an older man and the reason he got the part is because he's the father of Akio Otsuka the Japanese voice of Ansem Seeker of Darkness/Apprentice Xehanort, so sayeth Nomura.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

I'd say that's pretty accurate, he is an older man and the reason he got the part is because he's the father of Akio Otsuka the Japanese voice of Ansem Seeker of Darkness/Apprentice Xehanort, so sayeth Nomura.

I'm not saying it's false... I'm just saying it's hard to believe because the Japanese MX still sounds fake to me :/

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards

Okay, some people in this thread are not allowed to have an opinion. Not to say that you're not allowed to have one because I disagree, but that because some of you are pompous asses who think they know everthing about a performance from listening to 2 minutes of voice clips from a single character.

Seriously, that's like reading the first page of a Harry Potter book, closing it, and saying it's boring. There's a word for that, it's called retardation.

Awards

LOL I love how some people are saying that ALL the Japanese voices are better! Um...do you even listen to Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Pete??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back