• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

well i haven't been on the internet for a while and i decided to re-evaluate my opinion on willa holland for aqua (since everyone seems to be so positive about her last time). Anyways, it stil sounds as horrible as i remember (if not worst).

if HJO as a child could have done an excellent job for sora (i'm merely referring to kh1, because i think he shouldn't have done sora in re:Com-kh2) than i'm pretty sure willa holland could have done a better job. Willa Hiolland isn't that big of an ameteur to empathize with her. i feel some of you give her far less credit than what she deserves.

The problem i have with aqua is mainly that she is being "shy", she isn't expressing herself and usually for a first-time VA, they should know that more emotion applies. WIlla holland did a really bad job of aqua, like i said before (despite people agreeing or not) willa holland reminds me the VA of namine of re:COM, but more watered done (not in the sense of voices are similar but the acting itself). The main problem i have over willa holland over anything else is that she is portraying Aqua in a different way than what megumi tayoguchi has done. Megumi has voiced aqua as a strong person but gets intimate with her friend (in a brotherly-sisterly way if you know what i'm trying to say), but with willa holland she sounds shy and timid. i will not be able to enjoy aqua's scenario as much as i hope so hopefully i will just play the french version (if the french VA does a better job, i'm willing to bet she will).

Despite having strong feelings over Willa Holland's VAing, I do not blame her 100%. Tetsuya nomura was reviewing the VA of the japanese cast and was pretty strict with megumi tayoguchi in one certain scene. Since kh2, it's pretty easy to tell that the cast seems to be on a loose leash and they should have been more strict with willa holland if they wanted her to do well for aqua.

On a side note, so that i don't get too negative i praise all of the male VA's in the series. they were as close to my ideals and i'm glad they did a wonderful job. Especially Vanitas, but i do fear how his evil laugh will be, but considering it's the VA i know, i'm sure he can do a good job.

Nah, again, you're trying to make her seem worse than she actually is. Yes at the fruit speech Willa performed like poo, but after that it was great. Especially when she says "He's not as weak as you think." It's not her voice that is the problem, it's her acting. And that is a given considering she hasn't been acting THAT long. Her performance will be fine during the game I hope.

Sempied

well i haven't been on the internet for a while and i decided to re-evaluate my opinion on willa holland for aqua (since everyone seems to be so positive about her last time). Anyways, it stil sounds as horrible as i remember (if not worst).

if HJO as a child could have done an excellent job for sora (i'm merely referring to kh1, because i think he shouldn't have done sora in re:Com-kh2) than i'm pretty sure willa holland could have done a better job. Willa Hiolland isn't that big of an ameteur to empathize with her. i feel some of you give her far less credit than what she deserves.

The problem i have with aqua is mainly that she is being "shy", she isn't expressing herself and usually for a first-time VA, they should know that more emotion applies. WIlla holland did a really bad job of aqua, like i said before (despite people agreeing or not) willa holland reminds me the VA of namine of re:COM, but more watered done (not in the sense of voices are similar but the acting itself). The main problem i have over willa holland over anything else is that she is portraying Aqua in a different way than what megumi tayoguchi has done. Megumi has voiced aqua as a strong person but gets intimate with her friend (in a brotherly-sisterly way if you know what i'm trying to say), but with willa holland she sounds shy and timid. i will not be able to enjoy aqua's scenario as much as i hope so hopefully i will just play the french version (if the french VA does a better job, i'm willing to bet she will).

Despite having strong feelings over Willa Holland's VAing, I do not blame her 100%. Tetsuya nomura was reviewing the VA of the japanese cast and was pretty strict with megumi tayoguchi in one certain scene. Since kh2, it's pretty easy to tell that the cast seems to be on a loose leash and they should have been more strict with willa holland if they wanted her to do well for aqua.

On a side note, so that i don't get too negative i praise all of the male VA's in the series. they were as close to my ideals and i'm glad they did a wonderful job. Especially Vanitas, but i do fear how his evil laugh will be, but considering it's the VA i know, i'm sure he can do a good job.
I can see where your coming from on thise. Yes nomura was somewhat strict with Megumi with the role as aqua as more of a sweeter side. While Willa Holland does sound bad at the beginning, you hve to realize that since it is her first time voice acting that it might've took her a bit more time to get used to the voice acting world.

As I said before about some actors being able to their own rendition of character, as it eems Nomura wanted Willa to focus more on Aqua strong feminine lead, rather than her cutsesy voice here, and there. That, and going back to what Skyfoxx said that normally when the VA's are in the studio they usually don't have anything to go by in the booth like Quinton Flynn that when did Axel he just went for it, and it hooked lined, and sinkered.

While i'm glad this isn't just another person saying "Aqua's voice is terrible/she sucks/she is horrible". Willa has 45+ hours in a game that we've only seen practically 5 minutes worth of scenes of. Aqua has much more emotional scenes than those presented in the trailer so i'd like to put my edge on that she'll definetly get better as the game goes on. She even sounds better in battle, and show growing character via the Cinderella scenes.

I really don't get the Vanitas VA praise. It was 2 dang lines. Not only is this over assuming, but very under critical. (Remember how much of a turnaround there is now of Terra, and Aqua from the first gameplay videos released vs. now) i really didn't even get what made the laugh so special in the first place. It just sounded so...scripted. While i'm sure He can pull it off, i'm just annoyed at how much people are judging Vanitas the same way they turned around for Terra, and Aqua.

Also while on the side of searching of Terra VA (Steve Burton is a new idea for some people), I also realized how odd Jaq sounds in the scenes. "Cinderelle..got lockeda in her room" "Gotta let her out!" "Oh no no no! ussa gotta flurry!"

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

That, and going back to what Skyfoxx said that normally when the VA's are in the studio they usually don't have anything to go by in the booth like Quinton Flynn that when did Axel he just went for it, and it hooked lined, and sinkered.

...Yes that's correct... but I wasn't the one who said that in this thread lol

Mog

Awards
Aqua English Voice Opinions

I have been reading alot about her english voice, Though I haven't heard it yet. Whats so bad about it?

destinykh

The Troll
Awards
Sinking into the light with a heart of pure darkne
Re: Aqua English Voice Opinions

People think, myself included, that her tone is flat and emotionless at times. Which is true for the opening lines of the trailer (my god that was horrible) but thankfully she improved later on. She has some great moments, but she still needs to step up a bit. But who knows? Maybe those opening lines are already cut and the game developers re-recorded it.

#1 Xemnas

#1 Sex Man

It's probably because the people who complain probably heard the Japanese voices first. It's just something that happens. Like watching an anime with english subtitles, then going and watching again with English voices. If the voices aren't even a close match, it's unappealing because you've "heard better". And sometimes it's just the character itself. I thought Master Xehanort sounded weird at first, because he didn't look like his voice would sound the way it did.

Aquaman OS

Her first lines in the trailer are pretty bad but thankfully they get better later on. The main issue most people seem to have here is that she sounds very different from the Japanese voice. Aqua is supposed to sound older and more mature than Kairi Namine and Xion and while a regular voice worked in Japanese where KNX have high pitched cutesy girly voices, in english where most of them sound normal, Aqua was given a really deep voice to keep the contrast.

Really none of the KH voices sound the same in Japanese and English. The English voices are usually cast to best portray the character to the english audience rather than sound like the Japanese voices (if they wanted that they would have gotten anime VAs)
I think the problem is that BBS is the first KH game lots of people imported and now they are used to the Japanese voices.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Just read the VA discussion thread. The people post their opinion in there

ZiggyK

I like her too be honest. I admit the first line in the trailer was cringe worthy, infact, vomit worthy, though that could be just for editing.

I like her mature voice, which is different from the normal cutesy voices of Namine, Xion and Kairi. And her lines are pretty good (that "Hes not as weak as you think" is perfect)

Anywho, isn't there already a VA discussion thread?

ZiggyK

Well I, for one, like Willa Holland.

Im glad they didn't go for the cliche cutesy voice of Xion, Namine and Kairi. She sounds independant and strong, exactly as I'd imagine Aqua. That first line in the E3 trailer was horrible but hopefully it'll be recorded. After that her lines were pure gold.

/support for Willa.

Ikkin

Bronze Member

Aqua is supposed to sound older and more mature than Kairi Namine and Xion and while a regular voice worked in Japanese where KNX have high pitched cutesy girly voices, in english where most of them sound normal, Aqua was given a really deep voice to keep the contrast.

I don't think her voice is that deep, really. It's just that there aren't very many English-speaking female voice actors who don't have higher-pitched voices (and especially not for good girls), and Japanese women have higher-pitched voices in general (so of course Aqua's NA VA will sound deeper).

satria222poxy

I'm just hoping people like Christopher Lee, Hayden Panettiere & Brittany Snow would return to do the voices for the characters in BbS.

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards

I like her too be honest. I admit the first line in the trailer was cringe worthy, infact, vomit worthy, though that could be just for editing.

Very, the part about the "tree with star shaped fruit" and the second time she says "an unbreakable connection" I found hideous, but the rest of her lines sound pretty good.

Jakek9

The more you bitch about the voices, the more disappointed you'll find yourselves.

xd20

Hmm, I like the voices. There's no reason not to. I can't really pass judgment over a few clips, and will probably wait until the game comes out before I go bashing the VA's.

Speaking of VA's, did anyone ever figure out who actually voices Terra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back