• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread [complete]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

David Boreanaz or Doug Erholtz?

• David Boreanaz (KH1)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Doug Erholtz (Everything Else)

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon's Knight

Currently [REDACTED]
Re: The Official BBS VA Discussion Thread

I for one have no problem with Aqua's VA. She sounded similar to Aqau in my mind. Granted, I heard a more Rukia-like voice in there, but Willa Holland isn't that far off from my imagination of Aqua. The only real problem was her line with the poupu fruit thing, and the way she says certain lines when casting magic sounds British, but I favor the British spellcasting. I have no problem with Aqua's VA as of now, and I don't think the others should be complaining.

xd20

Well none of the games will be winning an academy award for its excellent acting anytime soon, so everyone will just have to agree with disagree and move on.

jdgjordan

all this talk about aqua is funny and yes i do belive you need to be a good va to voice charaters there are no AND I MEAN NO exceptions even less so for a series like this aqua va needs to do better there not geting paid lots of money to try va there geting paid to do va so with that said i think they found the right va for her she just needs to put more in it

On another note is any one suppriesd how awsome Vanitas sounds no one (except a few counting me to) thawt his va i wont say who could do and evil verison i cant wait to hear more form him what do guys think of his va good awsome or bad

hears a video you can watch to see Birth By Sleep Voice Comparisons of the jap and eng it does say whos voicing them so yea spoliers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DB6jPy8IHA

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I think SE needs a video of just Terra clips and have a game asking "Guess who he is!" and whoever gets it gets a free copy of the game when it comes out.

Sempied

The more you bitch about the voices, the more disappointed you'll find yourselves.
Or possibly be wrong. Remember how Jesse McCartney came along for Roxas, and slapped/punched all of the haters? I'll bet my left foot that a lot more people will be used to the voice cast like what happened with KH2 after the game has been released.

Allister Rose

French Lover

I can see where your coming from on thise. Yes nomura was somewhat strict with Megumi with the role as aqua as more of a sweeter side. While Willa Holland does sound bad at the beginning, you hve to realize that since it is her first time voice acting that it might've took her a bit more time to get used to the voice acting world.

As I said before about some actors being able to their own rendition of character, as it eems Nomura wanted Willa to focus more on Aqua strong feminine lead, rather than her cutsesy voice here, and there. That, and going back to what Skyfoxx said that normally when the VA's are in the studio they usually don't have anything to go by in the booth like Quinton Flynn that when did Axel he just went for it, and it hooked lined, and sinkered.

While i'm glad this isn't just another person saying "Aqua's voice is terrible/she sucks/she is horrible". Willa has 45+ hours in a game that we've only seen practically 5 minutes worth of scenes of. Aqua has much more emotional scenes than those presented in the trailer so i'd like to put my edge on that she'll definetly get better as the game goes on. She even sounds better in battle, and show growing character via the Cinderella scenes.

I really don't get the Vanitas VA praise. It was 2 dang lines. Not only is this over assuming, but very under critical. (Remember how much of a turnaround there is now of Terra, and Aqua from the first gameplay videos released vs. now) i really didn't even get what made the laugh so special in the first place. It just sounded so...scripted. While i'm sure He can pull it off, i'm just annoyed at how much people are judging Vanitas the same way they turned around for Terra, and Aqua.

Also while on the side of searching of Terra VA (Steve Burton is a new idea for some people), I also realized how odd Jaq sounds in the scenes. "Cinderelle..got lockeda in her room" "Gotta let her out!" "Oh no no no! ussa gotta flurry!"
Well this is assuming tetsuya nomura wanted Willa holland and worked with her. The english cast being star-dubbed is not my choice. It feels they were trying to show off. star-dub cast seems to work best in a comedy.

To me, if the VA's on the trailer sound good, it would give us an impression on how they will be voiced later on. I'm hoping they re-do Aqua's voice, but for now i'm going by the trailer. two lines were enough for me. there was a difference when megumi tayoguchi said she wanted to try on the glass slipper than when willa holland did. With megumi you can feel what she was trying to get at. The first time i heard that line, i felt aqua wasn't doing it out of shyness, but out of stalling, or being actiouss (however you spell that). In the englsih version, she simply sounded shy.

I dislike aqua's voice simply because she seems to be playing her role a little to feminine, and i have yet to hear some strength in her voice. You can disagree with me, or agree. but really, let's not complain about opinion itself.

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3

why you guys complaining bout aqua?

id be complaining bout terra if i where you guys

he sounds so emotionless and robotic

i like aqua's line "he's not as weak as you think" it was fuckking perfect!

but yeah the beginning did sound pretty bad

eraqus was perfect as well

so was master xehanort in my opinion

and vanitas<3 also perfect as well!

lol ven. just what i expected.. but i wish it where a bit better..especially the battle cries/scream when he falls off of his keyblade or w/e in deep space

Allister Rose

French Lover

it's not like we are completely off on aqua. like i said, let's not complain or get mad at eachothers opinion.

the reasons are there, it's up to you whether you'll accept them or not. and thank god, i'm not the only one.

Omegataco

Awards

I agree with what Jakek9 said, and laugh at everyone who is continuing to cry about the VA. For Aqua, it was just one scene that sounded off, and you know what else? It was at the very beginning of the game, and after hearing that it seems like most people here refuse to let themselves believe that Aqua sounds miraculously better with her voice acting further in the game. You know what else? That once scene was only what? Less than 1% of the total amount of voice acted cutscenes in the game? Im not trying to bash others opinions, I just believe most people are too quick to judge, and probably have not even bothered to listen to the other videos with the characters VAing because of it.

Like what Jakek said, the more you guys continue to moan and bitch about the voices of a game you have all anticipated for so long, well then, there is when the rest of us laugh at you, because you wont be enjoying the game as much as we are for it.

Z

Zulkir

Lol, sorry Leonard Nimoy fans, no Nimoy-hate in this post but I just have to say this is what I heard in the trailer.

MX:"These lifeless keys were once full of blaaaaargh!"

I always thought MX was 80'ish but he sounds 130 in English.

Aqua: hmm...will have to play the game..

Terra: hmm...will have to play the game, battle-sounds are really good.

Ventus: good

Vanitas: better than I expected.

Also to the people who said he has the "emo" voice his voice, and his personality, are probably the exact opposite to "emo". You'd generally expect emo people to be sad, masochistic and full of self-pity. Vanitas is maniacally laughing half the time, sadistic, looks down on other characters, and is practically insane.

Eraqus: Doesn't sound close-enough to J-Eraqus but the voice itself suits the character nicely.

Also MX=Star Trek, ME=Star Wars....Star Trek vs Star Wars.....lol

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member

I really like Aqua's voice, although she does have a few flaws. The tone of her voice is perfect for the character and I find it to be more fitting than the Japanese voice after watching the E3 trailer a few more times. But one thing that bothered me alot was when she gave out the charms, her voice sounder so emotionless when compared to her facial expressions but her "He's not as weak as you think!" line sounded perfect.
Anyways, i'm pleased with the VAing.

Relix

A traveler
Awards

I think the VA was perfect for Aqua but it wasn't executed as good in my opinion. Maybe if they were more strict with her then it would have been perfect but it seems they just let her do her own thing

Ikkin

Bronze Member

The english cast being star-dubbed is not my choice. It feels they were trying to show off. star-dub cast seems to work best in a comedy.

Kingdom Hearts uses a very different form of star-dubbing than comedies do, though, especially with the kids. I mean, for all the hate Jesse Mccartney got before KH2 released, I doubt we'd have guessed who he was if voice clips were released before the name.

And, honestly, it's not like anime voice actors are that impressive, especially where younger characters are concerned. Western animation, on the other hand, probably gives even less relevant experience than live acting does. =/ Apart from Disney feature animation, of course... but they tend to choose live actors for their animated leads anyway.

Allister Rose

French Lover

Kingdom Hearts uses a very different form of star-dubbing than comedies do, though, especially with the kids. I mean, for all the hate Jesse Mccartney got before KH2 released, I doubt we'd have guessed who he was if voice clips were released before the name.

And, honestly, it's not like anime voice actors are that impressive, especially where younger characters are concerned. Western animation, on the other hand, probably gives even less relevant experience than live acting does. =/ Apart from Disney feature animation, of course... but they tend to choose live actors for their animated leads anyway.

True, but when it comes to japanese RPG games, english VA's usually never fail, but since disney owns the rights to kh, i could see why kh's english VAing quality is barely satisfactory. Anime VA's at least get the job done faster.

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3

True, but when it comes to japanese RPG games, english VA's usually never fail, but since disney owns the rights to kh, i could see why kh's english VAing quality is barely satisfactory. Anime VA's at least get the job done faster.
anime VA's sucks! it sounds so typicall and cartoonish and just annoying!

Allister Rose

French Lover

anime VA's sucks! it sounds so typicall and cartoonish and just annoying!

Not all of them, it jsut depends on what type on anime your watching. i do feel willa holland can do better. those who say her pitch is perfect, i would disagree. I feel she should be slightly louder. maybe the tone is good, but the ways he acts, and the tone is too quiet.

i'm mainly mad about the portrayal of aqua willa holland is doing. Anyways, let's not get mad at people or make fun of them for there opinion

simple&cleanxiii

Bronze Member

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Disney is well known for great Voice Acting in their Animation so try again :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back