• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - RIP Otsuka, Nimoy, Lee

She probably won't be Aerith ever again since Andrea Bowen has taken over her role.

Mandy Moore will likely reprise her role as Rapunzel, though.

Most likely, yes. I heard that Zachary Levi is a huge KH fan, so he'll most likely be back as Flynn.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

I hope we get idina menzel back as elsa for frozen if she not busy with musicals or if frozen even in

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

Hell no. Josh Keaton is a way better Spidey than Drake Bell.

emma-stone-thumbs-up.gif

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Speaking of Josh Keaton, I'd love for him to voice pretty much anybody in KH3 if possible.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well it's not like Keaton is new to the KH series. He voiced Young Hercules in BBS.

Oh, I know that, but we aren't going to see Young Herc in KH3 (outside of a flashback at best), which is why I'm saying I'd like for him to have a role in KH3. Something where his voice is used more.

Scorseselover

Joseph Gordon Levitt for the Treasure Planet world!

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards

As much as I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, I doubt he would come back to voice Jim Hawkins. I think Yuri Lowenthal would be a perfect voice match for Jim.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

Soooo I don't know if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I managed to make Ben Diskin's panel at Anime Expo this past Saturday. He's a funny guy, was patient with his many, many fans and did a lot of impressions. He didn't really say much about KH3 aside from the usual "I don't know anything," but one thing that did interest me was his statements about just how little they give him. Apparently he's not even given his cue lines (i.e. what he's responding to) and didn't even know YX was playing chess in the scene from this most recent trailer until they released it.

Which, to be honest, is pretty ridiculous if you ask me (I'm fully aware nobody asked me, but here goes anyway). This Internet-era paranoia-driven need to keep things under wraps shouldn't preclude the voice actors from being given an honest chance at doing their best. Have them sign a non-disclosure agreement, then trust that they'll keep quiet and exercise self-control like responsible adults should and will especially if you're paying them. If this is really the case for the cast of KH games, it's no wonder the voice acting suffers at times. I wonder how many of the more awkward moments in KH2 and BBS might be accounted for by how little the VAs are given to work off of. It just sort of bothers me that there wouldn't be more consideration of this; the voice acting in the games, at least for me, is not some superfluous effect-- it's performance art and seriously hard work that acts as the lynchpin of each game, bringing the whole narrative experience together. It was basically flawless in KH1 and made that game the masterpiece it is, and the implication that we may have been denied that wonderful experience however many times over because of red tape all over the actors' scripts is just damnable. Rarrrrghhh OK I'm done.

Anyway I liked the panel, although now I know why VA Q&A sessions are so notorious lol.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

He didn't really say much about KH3 aside from the usual "I don't know anything," but one thing that did interest me was his statements about just how little they give him. Apparently he's not even given his cue lines (i.e. what he's responding to) and didn't even know YX was playing chess in the scene from this most recent trailer until they released it.

Which, to be honest, is pretty ridiculous if you ask me (I'm fully aware nobody asked me, but here goes anyway). This Internet-era paranoia-driven need to keep things under wraps shouldn't preclude the voice actors from being given an honest chance at doing their best. Have them sign a non-disclosure agreement, then trust that they'll keep quiet and exercise self-control like responsible adults should and will especially if you're paying them. If this is really the case for the cast of KH games, it's no wonder the voice acting suffers at times. I wonder how many of the more awkward moments in KH2 and BBS might be accounted for by how little the VAs are given to work off of. It just sort of bothers me that there wouldn't be more consideration of this; the voice acting in the games, at least for me, is not some superfluous effect-- it's performance art and seriously hard work that acts as the lynchpin of each game, bringing the whole narrative experience together. It was basically flawless in KH1 and made that game the masterpiece it is, and the implication that we may have been denied that wonderful experience however many times over because of red tape all over the actors' scripts is just damnable. Rarrrrghhh OK I'm done.

Doesn't sound surprising to me. I mean, I know this is about voice acting, but something I've heard multiple times from translators is that sometimes for a localization they aren't even told who is saying which lines. They just get a bunch of text they're supposed to translate without context. I don't know how much of a widespread issue it is, but it is something that I've heard about.

But as far as voice acting goes, there's also the fact that most video games still have voice actors record lines individually as opposed to animation where lines are recorded in groups so that the VAs can play off each other. I think Naughty Dog is one of the few that does the sessions in groups. But yeah, as talented as some of these VAs are, I do think that can be an issue where the voice acting could be improved by recording in groups; so hearing that he's given that little doesn't seem too far off.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

Doesn't sound surprising to me. I mean, I know this is about voice acting, but something I've heard multiple times from translators is that sometimes for a localization they aren't even told who is saying which lines. They just get a bunch of text they're supposed to translate without context. I don't know how much of a widespread issue it is, but it is something that I've heard about.

But as far as voice acting goes, there's also the fact that most video games still have voice actors record lines individually as opposed to animation where lines are recorded in groups so that the VAs can play off each other. I think Naughty Dog is one of the few that does the sessions in groups. But yeah, as talented as some of these VAs are, I do think that can be an issue where the voice acting could be improved by recording in groups; so hearing that he's given that little doesn't seem too far off.
Haha, I don't know that it particularly surprised me, it just comes across as an added dimension to the incredible effort that is voice acting to begin with. As you mentioned, voice actors for video games and even anime don't often get to record together and play off of one another's natural inflections and characterization the way actors in every other medium are trained to do, but I think that's sort of a given for the profession and you know that going in. But not even being given a full page of dialogue or a basic scenario to work with is, like, sadistic. It basically means you're relying entirely on the ADR director to convey exactly what you should be doing and how you should sound because they're the ones who have the full picture (at least I would hope they do!), at which point it's like, why don't they just do it themselves. x.x

I dunno, it just rubs me the wrong way as someone who has "high standards" (I'm speshul liek that) with regards to performance stuff and is always looking to appreciate quality work... And I've made it no secret that I think Ben Diskin's performance as YX in DDD is lackluster at best, which is BS because having gone to his panel and seeing him improv voices from years and years ago, all the way back to his childhood in Hey Arnold, it's clear that he has no shortage of ability. I've heard that the directing had a hand in how he played YX, and of course it would, but (without actually knowing enough to assert that this is the case) I just think it's a shame if actors aren't being given appropriate material to work with. It's not fair to them and nobody benefits.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

I feel ya. That's a big issue, and if you don't have a good voice director, then it gets worse. I know a lot of these VAs are talented so more often than not I'm confident that it's poor directing that's the issue. I am curious, tho, if it might be also something to do not just with the way sessions are recorded, but the inherent difference between cartoons and video games. But yeah, it's something that doesn't get the level of consideration that it should.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards

I feel ya. That's a big issue, and if you don't have a good voice director, then it gets worse. I know a lot of these VAs are talented so more often than not I'm confident that it's poor directing that's the issue. I am curious, tho, if it might be also something to do not just with the way sessions are recorded, but the inherent difference between cartoons and video games. But yeah, it's something that doesn't get the level of consideration that it should.
Yeah, there are some less then stellar directors in the ADR business; it's like the one industry where I think actors becoming directors is generally a good thing. Cartoons and video games can be done quite differently, but I think the real thing is whether it's a straight recording session or a dub; the former is hard enough, for sure, but the latter adds in timing and all sorts of technical fun that limits how far you can take your performance and really own the role. That's why I say anything that makes it harder to be authentic and present is baaaad all around. But I won't belabor the point. Thanks for the conversation. :3

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Have them sign a non-disclosure agreement, then trust that they'll keep quiet and exercise self-control like responsible adults should and will especially if you're paying them.
That is exactly what they do with the KH series, yet Jesse McCartney never learns.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards

^oh yeah. Wasn't he the one who spilled the beans that KH 1.5 HD ReMIX was getting a localization?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

^oh yeah. Wasn't he the one who spilled the beans that KH 1.5 HD ReMIX was getting a localization?
He spilled the beans on most of the games localisations.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

^ I'm sure he will. IIRC, the only time in recent memory where he didn't blab first was when Dream Drop Distance was being localized (I think that particular honor went to Braig/Xigbar's VA, James Patrick Stuart).

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

^ I'm sure he will. IIRC, the only time in recent memory where he didn't blab first was when Dream Drop Distance was being localized (I think that particular honor went to Braig/Xigbar's VA, James Patrick Stuart).

James Patrick Stuart merely said that he had been recording another video game, but he didn't specify which one. It was actually Jesse... David Corti (Neku) who leaked KH3D! And then good ol' Jesse McCartney posted about it himself later on.

Back