• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - RIP Otsuka, Nimoy, Lee

Do you think Square will somehow get Mandy Moore back as Rapunzel? I mean, she did voice Aerith in KH1. I really hope so because Mandy did a fantastic job as Rapunzel, added a lot of spunk to the character.
I hope so. I really hate soundalikes.

Though I've always wondered why they replaced the cast for the Hollow Bastion trio. Does anyone know?
Well a lot of them were recast to match their new Advent Children voice actors I believe.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

They work for Disney so yeah she will be back

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

They work for Disney so yeah she will be back
Every voice actor in this series and their respective films worked for Disney... that's why they're in Disney films.

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't really guarantee anything? There are plenty original voice actors who didn't reprise their role in KH.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Most of Dream Drop Distance didn't have the actors reprise their characters (Notre Dame, The Grid etc.) so it's not a guarantee. But with Mandy and Zach signed on to the Tangled TV Show there might be hope (then again Olivia Wilde did Tron Uprising but not KH)

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

if nomura wants someone he will get that person some people will be hard to get like johnny deep or oliva wilde because they probally cost to much or were very busy

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com

yes and the question is will mandy moore cost too much or is she very busy...

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Well a lot of them were recast to match their new Advent Children voice actors I believe.
Not so much, Squall is a FF8 character, and Yuffie was played by Christy Carlson Romano in Advent Children. It was probably a mix of the originals just getting too famous and busy to come back and Square finding cheaper replacements that they could use permanently.

Forsaken Shadow

I despise soundalikes for the most part. Cam Clarke, although he does a good job as Simba's singing voice, was absolutely miserable in KH2. Come on Square, dish out the extra money for some good voice acting! And for a new voice director. Now that I've been replaying KH2 and BBS, it's really apparent how cringeworthy some of the voice acting can be in those two games, especially the Disney characters. Don't dumb them down- the original movies are far more mature than we give them credit for, and the actors should be directed and the script should be written in such a way.

Although I do hope it would be easier to get Mandy because of her already having worked for KH before. And Zachary Levi is a must too, no one else can quite capture Flynn Ryder's comic timing the way he does.

WhinyAcademic

Awards

I think if Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi are coming to voice Rapunzel and Eugene for an ongoing series, they'd be willing to voice them for a video game. Let alone a video game that is clearly making an effort to adapt Tangled for the series with as much love as possible.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Rapunzel doesn't have an official soundalike, it's been Mandy Moore every time for every project, big or small, since 2010. I don't think they'll have a different voice for her since that would be totally unprecedented.

Forsaken Shadow

I would just like to add that I really hope they find a replacement for Aqua's English VA. I doubt they will but I feel like Willa Holland did an awful job :/

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards

I would just like to add that I really hope they find a replacement for Aqua's English VA. I doubt they will but I feel like Willa Holland did an awful job :/
Her voice can be boring sometimes, but in my opinion, I thought Willa did an awesome job matching her personality. She captured Aqua's emotion perfectly.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Yeah, I agree. I honestly never understood the hate for Willa. When she nailed it, she nailed it. And did you hear her in 2.5? She didn't have a single bad read. The only really wooden parts in BBS were when she was supposed to sound casual with the Disney characters, but as I can't see that happening much for her in KH3, she should be fine. I'd much rather they hire a new director.

(Besides, she just came back for her handful of lines in BBS FM, and she's one of Nomura's favorites so she's probably not going anywhere)

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards

She was pretty poor early on in the game I felt. Her voice sounded pretty wooden but it got better at the bigger moments. She'll probably need to get use to having a more casual voice for Aqua.

Forsaken Shadow

She was pretty poor early on in the game I felt. Her voice sounded pretty wooden but it got better at the bigger moments. She'll probably need to get use to having a more casual voice for Aqua.

I remember being quite surprised by this one line of hers to Braig during the final battle. It was one of her only well-delivered lines. But for the most part of the game, especially her interactions with the Disney characters, I felt she was quite dull.

(Besides, she just came back for her handful of lines in BBS FM, and she's one of Nomura's favorites so she's probably not going anywhere)

Do you have a source for that? I wonder if Nomura has any personal interactions with the English VAs at all.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

Do you have a source for that? I wonder if Nomura has any personal interactions with the English VAs at all.

I'll have to go looking for it, but Nomura thought she sounded exactly like her japanese counterpart

And yes, he does. Nomura personally pulled for Haley Joel Osment, Mark Hamill, and Leonard Nimoy.

Personally, some of my favorites lines from the game are from the first act. Her delivery on "Together, always" and "He's not as weak as you think" are pretty strong.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

Blaming Willa is not fair. In the voice acting business a performance relies on a good director, engineer and actor. Willa is a good actor as shown in Arrow. And judging from what we read on Ben's reddit, the actors are not given enough context.

Forsaken Shadow

Blaming Willa is not fair. In the voice acting business a performance relies on a good director, engineer and actor. Willa is a good actor as shown in Arrow. And judging from what we read on Ben's reddit, the actors are not given enough context.

You're right, the voice directing has been going downhill since KH1. It makes me wish we could play the entire game with Japanese voices but English subs.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

You're right, the voice directing has been going downhill since KH1. It makes me wish we could play the entire game with Japanese voices but English subs.

That's because KH1 had a different voice director.

Back