• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Real Kingdom Hearts and what color it is

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SerDuncan

So one of the people who have been translating all the Ultimania interviews just found one with some... apparently contradictory information.

Here is the translation from @lunesacree
TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

The thing that bothers me, or confuses me rather, is that the developer mentions that the Yellow Kingdom Hearts is the true one... not the yellow one. As far as I'm aware, I was under the impression that the community had agreed that the blue Kingdom Hearts, as seen in BBS, was the "true KH". This was informed by Xemnas crafting an artificial Kingdom Hearts in KH2 that was yellow, and various pieces of media. Am I just confused here, or is there something going on that I just simply don't understand?

Awards
East of England, Buried in a Void of Non-Existence
I always assumed that the true Kingdom Hearts was yellow, and never understood why the one in BbS was blue. I don't even think there's an actual reason for it? Unless there's something really obscure somewhere out there that explains it. Someone probably just thought it was a cool concept from the 2FM's secret video that they wanted to carry over. That or... mood lighting? I doubt even Nomura put much thought into why it was a different colour.

I'm content to chalk it up as just another of many inconsistencies.

Zul

Awards
I get the impression he had the BBS one be blue to make it different from Xemnas's, but then changed his mind back to yellow because a yellow moon was on the KH1 cover and he liked that look.

So yeah, just an inconsistent art choice.

Insomniac

Bronze Member
Awards
I’m having some trouble finding the exact quote in reference but I remember this being touched upon at sometime in an interview with stated that the blue Kingdom Hearts was its true form although I am currently unable to support this with any concrete evidence. I was however, able to find a reference to what I am implying on the Kingdom Hearts Wiki that at least acknowledges what I’m suggesting to have been said. The wiki had the following to contribute:

”
  • According to Nomura in Director's Secret Report XIII, it is implied that the differing colors of Kingdom Hearts is due to the nature of its assemblage. The Kingdom Hearts made by Organization XIII was assembled from the "hearts of men," meaning the hearts of people, turned into Heartless, were compiled into it. In Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, the χ-blade unlocked Kingdom Hearts from "the hearts of worlds," meaning the hearts of entire worlds were assembled for its creation.”

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
it's especially odd since we supposedly see the truest Kingdom Hearts at the beginning of 0.2 being watched by Luxu and it's blue there, too.

i do think it was primarily changed out of a desire to have it look like the KH1 cover though, and to have the light/darkness thing more clear in the visuals with its light breaking through the dark clouds around it, but it is still strange.

people who believe in the sleeping realms theory think its evidence that Sora and co are on a different worldline though, which is a thought.

kaseykockroach

Awards
“Snively, what color is my heart?”

“I don’t see a heart, sir.”

“Exactly.”

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I actually had a theory that KH changes color based on who's controlling it, but it falls flat kinda quickly. Bassically when we see KH turn purple in Kh3, it was (as Sora stated) because Xehanort controlled Kingdom Hearts at that point. And in BBS, the one who has control over the X-blade was Ventus (or Ventus-Vanitas really), so KH was blue to symbolise that, and initially appeared that way due to them clashing.

But really though, it's just inconsistent art choices. I honestly picked up on it immediately during my first viewing of the finale and thought it was weird then too. That said, seeing blatant contradictions like this is nothing new for the series sadly (even if it's in part known for it's symbolism and great vissual continuity).

SerDuncan

I actually had a theory that KH changes color based on who's controlling it, but it falls flat kinda quickly. Bassically when we see KH turn purple in Kh3, it was (as Sora stated) because Xehanort controlled Kingdom Hearts at that point. And in BBS, the one who has control over the X-blade was Ventus (or Ventus-Vanitas really), so KH was blue to symbolise that, and initially appeared that way due to them clashing.

But really though, it's just inconsistent art choices. I honestly picked up on it immediately during my first viewing of the finale and thought it was weird then too. That said, seeing blatant contradictions like this is nothing new for the series sadly (even if it's in part known for it's symbolism and great vissual continuity).

I guess my biggest counterpoint (if you can even call it that) is that the VFX director makes a point to reference it. The language he uses implies that Nomura or someone in the writing division specifically asked that it be yellow instead of blue, which leads me to believe there's a specific story reason for it, instead of simply and artistic choice. And the fact that he mentions it at all seems a bit fishy as well, almost as though he's calling attention to the change in hue.

Awards
East of England, Buried in a Void of Non-Existence
it's especially odd since we supposedly see the truest Kingdom Hearts at the beginning of 0.2 being watched by Luxu and it's blue there, too.

i do think it was primarily changed out of a desire to have it look like the KH1 cover though, and to have the light/darkness thing more clear in the visuals with its light breaking through the dark clouds around it, but it is still strange.

people who believe in the sleeping realms theory think its evidence that Sora and co are on a different worldline though, which is a thought.
While that's entirely plausible, it would beg the question as to why Kingdom Hearts changed colour between Birth by Sleep and III; Master Xehanort summons it in the exact same manner in both games, yet their appearance differs. Even comparing it to II's "hearts of men" version, it's closest visual counterpart, the Kingdom Hearts in III is a much richer, sort of golden colour, although that may just be the jump from one engine to another.

The only thing that noticeably changes between the two games is the way in which the χ-blade is forged.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
While that's entirely plausible, it would beg the question as to why Kingdom Hearts changed colour between Birth by Sleep and III; Master Xehanort summons it in the exact same manner in both games, yet their appearance differs. Even comparing it to II's "hearts of men" version, it's closest visual counterpart, the Kingdom Hearts in III is a much richer, sort of golden colour, although that may just be the jump from one engine to another.

The only thing that noticeably changes between the two games is the way in which the χ-blade is forged.

I always thought the reason the Kingdom Hearts summoned in BbS looked different was because the X-Blade used wasn't correct. Could that be the reason? Although, would the artificial one reflect the correct colour?

Luxu looks at a blue Kingdom Hearts in 0.2, but I assumed he was looking at the Kingdom Hearts summoned during BbS.

SerDuncan

I always thought the reason the Kingdom Hearts summoned in BbS looked different was because the X-Blade used wasn't correct. Could that be the reason? Although, would the artificial one reflect the correct colour?

Luxu looks at a blue Kingdom Hearts in 0.2, but I assumed he was looking at the Kingdom Hearts summoned during BbS.

Well, that could have been true before KH3... I think.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Well, that could have been true before KH3... I think.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oh that is true. Maybe it was after Braig ran away and he was watching the events unfold (possibly thinking that this was what he was waiting for all along?)

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
I always thought that was Luxu observing the aftermath of the Keyblade War, hence the hearts floating towards KH in the distance.

Hirokey123

Awards
Kingdom Hearts might only be blue there because it's not the true Kingdom Hearts. Remember as Backcover revealed to us the union leaders wanted to summon kingdom hearts using the power of lux, which we gather in a very similar way to how we gathered hearts for the organization. It could be that the kingdom hearts we saw was actually a lesser kingdom hearts made from lux.

In the final world we might hearts that have died, they take for the form of stars made of flecks of light. This is suspiciously similar to lux and so I think perhaps what Lux is, is the light of hearts that have died and been harvested by the keyblade. That is to say the heartless in the data worlds and book worlds aren't real so they don't release hearts, instead we just are obliterating their fake hearts and collect their dead remnants. The light of the heart is lux and the darkness we also collect with our bangles and call it guilt. In the keyblade war people weren't just losing their hearts they were flat out dying. It's quite possible that by slaying hundreds of wielders using a war the light of their dead hearts were harvested to make a huge influx of lux, the lux gathered to form a kingdom hearts just as people like gula wanted.

Back