• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Return of the Coliseum

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
Olympus Coliseum has been a staple of the series since day one. And Birth By Sleep had the Mirage Arena. But like so many other things, Kingdom Hearts III lacked an arena of any kind. So assuming that the next game fixes that problem, what do you think it would be? Olympus Coliseum, The Mirage Arena or something else.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I don’t think we will be returning to Olympus Coliseum as I can’t think of what else we could do there. My guess is that we will somehow be able to access it through Quadratum and I think they will say that some kind of strange magic or whatever kind of power they use in Quadratum created the place which will be the replacement for the Coliseum.

Dark Rot

Awards
I like the idea of Traverse Town having it's own Tournie, maybe even where the Flick Rush arena is. It's just that kind of place.

Battlegates are lame. I don't much like those spiked warp orbs either! lol. Multiple worlds having their own arenas would be nice, though. Doesn't seem like it would be asking too much, it's just one big decorated room per however many worlds get one. Olympus was such a special part of KH1, and I'd love to see the GAMES expanded and made more meaningful, maybe with a valuable/personal prize at stake, like the Dressrosa arc in One Piece.

It would be cool if you could form your own team, and invite companions from other worlds. Screw the world order, let's fight!

If we go to Olympus again, I'd prefer the Underdrome (with xp). KH2's Underworld was so beautiful and atmospheric. I was shocked at how hideously rendered the Abode of the Gods was in KH3 in comparison.
I like the Mirage Arena's music, but I'd rather the tournament world not be a mirage with no story. I would not mind a completely original world to be the new arena, but I would like if it had (FF) characters and stuff.

Atlantis would be a good colosseum world, if only because it's also a locale of classical antiquity, and it could be breathtaking to look at. I suppose Wreck-It Ralph makes the most sense, but please, no. I don't want Thor 3 either. But Robin Hood would be cool since it does have the knight's tournament. Just tweak it so it's more focused on open combat, with Prince John looking down at the battles.

Soldier

Awards
Ah, another thread discussing one of my most dreaded foes, Olympus Colliseum.

Here's the thing, I hate Olympus Collisuem. I think it's been done to death and a waste of a world slot. If Nomura wants to keep using it, just have Hades travel the worlds. He's already aware of the existence of other worlds, and if he loves him so much, just do that. It's dumb to keep bringing that world back JUST for hades. KH1 and KH2 needed an arena, that's fine. But going forward, for the love of everything that is good in this world and the next, NO MORE OLYMPUS!

The mirage arena is a much better fit for an arena anyways. As seen in birth by sleep, it's capable of providing challenging matches, and is capable of replicating environments and enemies from TAV's travels. If the mirage arena is brought back, @Dark Rot's Idea of companions from other worlds could be brought into fruition, as they'd be no more than illusions. Status quo and world order maintained, let's fight.

If we reach KH 5 and Olympus Colliseum is back AGAIN, I'm dropping the series. There's such a thing as overkill, and Nomura needs to know about it.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Before KHIII came out, I imagined we might see TWTNW again, and that Memory's Skyscraper could serve as the coliseum.
Each floor would've been a boss from the series history, updated and more difficult than before, culminating in the super secret sequelbait boss on the very top floor.

I know it's a pipe dream and super unfeasible but damn it'd be cool.
And also make Memory's Skyscraper, like, actually mean something
Seriously why is it called that

Soldier

Awards
Before KHIII came out, I imagined we might see TWTNW again, and that Memory's Skyscraper could serve as the coliseum.
Each floor would've been a boss from the series history, updated and more difficult than before, culminating in the super secret sequelbait boss on the very top floor.

I know it's a pipe dream and super unfeasible but damn it'd be cool.
And also make Memory's Skyscraper, like, actually mean something
Seriously why is it called that
Memory's skyscraper is called that because the monitors project the memories of those within the vicinity, as seen in the secret episode of kingdom hearts (often the painful ones). However, when you actually arrive in TWTNW, they do not do that because of hardware limitations.

Cumguardian69

Awards
I want to have a hybrid system of Bootiegates and Coliseo. If we do not then I will uwu on somebody pretty hard, preferably Nomura-sama. It is unconsciouscable to think that we can not have the olympus when KH is alive for so longing.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I have multiple disparate thoughts going on here...

1. Tournaments aren't like Battlegates. You fight multiple battles in a row, often including characters from that world, FF characters, and recurring Disney villains (Pete) as opponents. Battlegates are one-off battles, primarily against Heartless. Battlegates don't compensate for that the tournament side quest's absence, imo.

2. I enjoy Battlegates even though I think (and wish) they could co-exist with a tournament mini-game in the same game.

3. I want Olympus to return someday, even if it takes a break for a couple of games. There are still a lot of things they can do with that world, imo; it's one of the few that could go on forever, tbh.

4. At the same time, a tournament mini-game *doesn't* have to reside simply within a Hercules world. As mentioned, they did it with Mirage Arena. But they could also do it with worlds like Robin Hood (the tournament where Robin Hood competes for Marian's hand), The Sword in the Stone (there's jousting in that film, and a whole brains v. brawn theme), etc. All it would take is some creativity to create a new tournament side game somewhere else. I mean, I could picture one in the Mulan world where you fight all the different characters amidst Heartless (Shang, Mulan, the three soldier friends) or maybe some kind of sleazy competition in the underworld area of The Great Mouse Detective or perhaps a tournament in the Realm of Monsters in Moana (and you could fight Tamatoa, the little coconut creatures, and Maui amidst Heartless). The coliseum in KH1 was an original idea itself based around the fact that Hercules features a lot of fighting in that film. You can do something similar with another film without it being a verbatim copy. It's just like how the musical minigame in KH2 could be done with so many worlds / films.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Kingdom Hearts III had the Battlegates, and then Re:Mind threw in the Data Seekers of Darkness
Neither of those scratch the itch of an arena. I didn't really care for either of those.

I'd be down for the Mirage Arena to return and this time feature Laguna like originally planned as well as a story explaining why there's a tournament going on there.

Honestly I also would be down for the other ideas suggested here, like having different Cups take place on different worlds or having a new Disney Property house all the cups of the tournament.

Bloodedge King

Awards
Neither of those scratch the itch of an arena. I didn't really care for either of those.

I'd be down for the Mirage Arena to return and this time feature Laguna like originally planned as well as a story explaining why there's a tournament going on there.

Honestly I also would be down for the other ideas suggested here, like having different Cups take place on different worlds or having a new Disney Property house all the cups of the tournament.
I understand not caring about the Battlegates, but the data fights against the Seekers of Darkness are objectively far and beyond the best designed boss battles in the whole series (Barring Yozora)

And I personally don't see the appeal of the arena matches in the Coliseum. Nostalgia aside, it just felt like a cheap way to make up for the world being so poorly done in it's other appearances, and since in KH3 we got a fully explorable Olympus with collectibles, easter eggs and references to the movie, I say that it makes up for the arena fights, especially when most of them were just fighting opponents we already fought the entire game.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I understand not caring about the Battlegates, but the data fights against the Seekers of Darkness are objectively far and beyond the best designed boss battles in the whole series (Barring Yozora)

And I personally don't see the appeal of the arena matches in the Coliseum. Nostalgia aside, it just felt like a cheap way to make up for the world being so poorly done in it's other appearances, and since in KH3 we got a fully explorable Olympus with collectibles, easter eggs and references to the movie, I say that it makes up for the arena fights, especially when most of them were just fighting opponents we already fought the entire game.

Simply put, I don't care for super bosses. One or two challenging secret bosses sure that's kind of fun, but 13 super bosses, that's not for me. Besides getting frustrated by constantly dying, I find constantly repeating the fights hoping to learn the pattern to defeat them kind of boring. Though I'll admit I'm obviously in a minority here.

Personally I like working my way through sequential hoards of enemies, with mini-bosses and allies mixed in. My favorite part of the original tournaments was fighting characters like Leon and Cloud. In KH3 the Tournament could have been used to let us fight the other Guardians of Light, which would have been fun.

Bloodedge King

Awards
Simply put, I don't care for super bosses. One or two challenging secret bosses sure that's kind of fun, but 13 super bosses, that's not for me. Besides getting frustrated by constantly dying, I find constantly repeating the fights hoping to learn the pattern to defeat them kind of boring. Though I'll admit I'm obviously in a minority here.

Personally I like working my way through sequential hoards of enemies, with mini-bosses and allies mixed in. My favorite part of the original tournaments was fighting characters like Leon and Cloud. In KH3 the Tournament could have been used to let us fight the other Guardians of Light, which would have been fun.
So don't say they don't scratch the itch of an arena as if you're saying a fact when you're just saying they don't appeal to you specifically. There's tons of things in the game that don't appeal to me as well.

And what's the the appeal of that? We already fight these guys the entire game anyways. If the fights against special opponents like Leon and Yuffie were more frequent then I'd understand why people consider the arenas so special, but most of the time we're just fighting opponents we fight the entire game with the same strategies and patterns, which just isn't very engaging nor challenging, you could finish one or two tournaments in a day.
Sure, fighting the other Guardians could have been fun, but considering how KH3 gave us the biggest, most explorable and interactive Olympus in the whole franchise, complaining about the lack of an arena is just nitpicking.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
So don't say they don't scratch the itch of an arena as if you're saying a fact when you're just saying they don't appeal to you specifically. There's tons of things in the game that don't appeal to me as well.

And what's the the appeal of that? We already fight these guys the entire game anyways. If the fights against special opponents like Leon and Yuffie were more frequent then I'd understand why people consider the arenas so special, but most of the time we're just fighting opponents we fight the entire game with the same strategies and patterns, which just isn't very engaging nor challenging, you could finish one or two tournaments in a day.
Sure, fighting the other Guardians could have been fun, but considering how KH3 gave us the biggest, most explorable and interactive Olympus in the whole franchise, complaining about the lack of an arena is just nitpicking.
Well, no it's not just that it doesn't appeal to me, it it scratches a different itch. I just happen not to have that one. Fighting in a tournament to get to special bosses is quite a different itch than fighting a bunch of super bosses.

Do they have to take multiple days to complete? Some people like the familiarity. The change in format is what makes the difference, you're facing them wave after wave and are rewarded with a special boss at the end. Also you can get all kinds of combinations that might not appear on the regular worlds, which can be fun. On top of that you can face off against world heartless bosses again, which isn't possible by just going back to the world. Fighting the special rounds featuring FF or Disney bosses was always the highlight for me in the tournaments, at least in the games that did that.
They're also often good places to grind, if you want to level up to 99. The gates also let you do that, but it wasn't quite the same.

Yes, KH3 had the best version of Olympus, but that doesn't really replace the lack of the tournaments some of us have enjoyed in the past.

Considering how many people would like the tournaments to return, I'd say it's a bit more than just a nitpick.

Bloodedge King

Awards
Well, no it's not just that it doesn't appeal to me, it it scratches a different itch. I just happen not to have that one. Fighting in a tournament to get to special bosses is quite a different itch than fighting a bunch of super bosses.

Do they have to take multiple days to complete? Some people like the familiarity. The change in format is what makes the difference, you're facing them wave after wave and are rewarded with a special boss at the end. Also you can get all kinds of combinations that might not appear on the regular worlds, which can be fun. On top of that you can face off against world heartless bosses again, which isn't possible by just going back to the world. Fighting the special rounds featuring FF or Disney bosses was always the highlight for me in the tournaments, at least in the games that did that.
They're also often good places to grind, if you want to level up to 99. The gates also let you do that, but it wasn't quite the same.

Yes, KH3 had the best version of Olympus, but that doesn't really replace the lack of the tournaments some of us have enjoyed in the past.

Considering how many people would like the tournaments to return, I'd say it's a bit more than just a nitpick.
That's your preference so I won't argue with you on that.

The problem is that there is no challenge. If these matches would at least offer a higher level of difficulty and challenge then sure, but there's not even that, so really it's just fighting the same opponents again with some occasional new fights.
I agree with you that fighting the special bosses was fun, but to have to fight tedious waves of the same enemies over and over again was just lame.
Except you can't grind in the tournaments in KH2, so that's something that the Battlegates have over it.

They traded the tournaments for a fully explorable world that looks beautiful and detailed. Which is a fair trade.

Having a lot of people complaining doesn't make it any less of a nitpick.

Back