• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Roleplaying Tavern - Stop by for a pint!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
It's been a long time since I've been in this Roleplaying section. I've played a handful of different tabletop games, from D&D to Call of Cthulu, and that all happened because I started here. I actually started out playing D&D with a few friends I RP'd with here, and now one of them plays regularly with a group of my IRL friends.

This section isn't nearly as busy as it once was I can see, but I see at least one ongoing RP right now and a couple recent interests and starts, and it makes me happy to know some people are still going.

Max

Staff member
Awards
Anyone around here care to get the ball rolling on something? It's nigh impossible to find RPs these days. :/
I might be willing to get in on something if it catches my interest.

Brol

ATDT-ToA-ToS
Awards
Suup here for the Nostalgia Kick... What is interesting reading back from previous posts... I actually pursued a career of running LARP events and roleplay events because of KHinsider.

Weirdly, I run my own rp discord server... but I do think back to my old forum days and went... man it's been a time.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
I'm realizing this months after my last post, but it stands to reason having a writing group does increase the completion rate and participation of a roleplay, even if the pacing is off weeks, to months at a time.

Not one to deny making it simpler makes it more accessible, has nothing to do with accessibility. If you the writer are consumed by your obligations outside of this medium, that reason overshadows every other one. I'm more impressed if your super busy, but still post like once a week, or even once a month, THAT genuinely impresses me.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
I'm realizing this months after my last post, but it stands to reason having a writing group does increase the completion rate and participation of a roleplay, even if the pacing is off weeks, to months at a time.

Not one to deny making it simpler makes it more accessible, has nothing to do with accessibility. If you the writer are consumed by your obligations outside of this medium, that reason overshadows every other one. I'm more impressed if your super busy, but still post like once a week, or even once a month, THAT genuinely impresses me.

No arguments there really. I speak more to the effect of being able to regrow and expand. The section here has survived on the dedication, but hasn't seen much in the way of new faces in a good while (or so it seems; I'm not in the best position to comment on that I'll admit, seeing as how I've been in and out over the past few years). It does seem that a few people have popped in trying to get something started but folded up and moved on because they weren't getting much of a glance.

There is a clear drive to see RPs through to completion these days. It's impressive to see people who can hold onto their interest when things are moving at a slower pace; most places I've been lately see things falling apart after a two week lull. It's part of why I'm looking to come back out this way to get my fix. Accessibility definitely makes it easier to get down to the business though. These days I'm all about RPs that don't require character sheets (or just require a minimalist one), since it alleviates a huge dedication of time put into something that's ultimately going to change and expand as the RP progresses anyways.

purgatory

Awards

I've typically never ventured much outside of this section since I joined. I'm for more accessibility in roleplays and some leniancy with regards to deadlines, the less strict it feels though, at least to me, it gives me the idea that if I show less empathy for my commitment, i'm going to slack off and eventually stop participating. Having someone remind you every so often, or show that they're interested, causes a chain reaction that gets me on the same page if i've ever forgotten. I'm usually pretty good at remembering myself to check in every couple of days even if I don't post as much as I used to back when the section had more activity.

King Wolfe

Basically... Run
Awards
close-knit groups is how anything even got done in the past, real-talk.

Das absolutely true. I think the niche nature of this website as well dampens the selection of roleplayers in general. Firstly, you have to be a KH fan to locate this site then a writer then a roleplayer. Super niche. But having that group collaborative effort was always satisfying, even if I didn't have a great track record for completing RPs to begin with.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
Sometimes I come back here every so often thinking to myself, i've written a lot on this forum. A little over a third of my life posting stories, memes, advice, and really just writing stuff on here and I'm actually surprised I still contribute anything on here at all even being self-aware and immersed in a plethora of responsibilities offline.

It's just weird, i think we're all aware this section isn't really "thriving" like it used to be and like Wolfe said about this being such an obscure message board, that community was just getting halved thoroughly over the years and now it's maybe six people here now? Thats really something man. Mad respect to everyone thats still active here, even if it's once a week, once a month, or checks in to read the threads that aren't complete necros.

Chromatic

Become
Awards
The more that platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, etc. grow, the further forums such as this tend to decline. I see KHI as an exception of sorts; it's reputation spanning back to the early days of the KH franchise has helped it stay relevant to a greater extent.

Similarly, the growth of online gaming platforms, whether it's linking up on a console or PC, or running D&D campaigns via Discord and similar apps, has put more options on the table as alternatives to RPing that (generally) require a less active and timely commitment, and require somewhat less cognitive energy to engage in (which is beneficial in a world of burnt out, stressed minds; lately I too have been feeling psychologically ill-equipped to pull together a satisfying character sheet).

That being said, forums in which RPing is the primary focus have, mostly, retained activity in RPing.

Seasaltrio

Awards
My friend and I had the best ever KH RP over text. It was about the ending of the series. I this RP, Goofy has been the ultimate master of darkness undercover all these years, kind of spying on the forces of light. He also has an army of dark angels so...
Goofy in our RP was basically all powerful until he was defeated by Lauriam, who appeared later in the battle, only to call upon the forces of darkness and become the ultimate 'Gooferoth.' After this he wiped out the denizens of light one by one, ending the series on a very non-Kingdom Hearts(y) finale.

Reactions: Max

Max

Staff member
Awards
My friend and I had the best ever KH RP over text. It was about the ending of the series. I this RP, Goofy has been the ultimate master of darkness undercover all these years, kind of spying on the forces of light. He also has an army of dark angels so...
Goofy in our RP was basically all powerful until he was defeated by Lauriam, who appeared later in the battle, only to call upon the forces of darkness and become the ultimate 'Gooferoth.' After this he wiped out the denizens of light one by one, ending the series on a very non-Kingdom Hearts(y) finale.
This is canon.

Seasaltrio

Awards
OK, this forum needs someone to start something here, so I'll let you guys enjoy the setting for the roleplay of my friend and I on Goofy as the main villain. The RP will start at Goofy's reveal to Sora in the Keyblade Graveyard. A note mysteriously appeared to Sora from a man calling himself "Xehanort's heir." He said he had kidnapped Kairi and the only way to find her was to meet at the place where darkness and light have clashed many times before.
They appear in the spot dark and light have always met...
Sora- I don't see anyone... you do think 'Xehanort's Heir' will show up, right?
Donald- He tricked us!!!
Sora sighs.
Goofy- Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck!
Sora- What's so funny!?
Goofy looks down and smiles.
Goofy- Well, nothin.' Just...
He looks up with a devilish grin. His eyes glow yellow.
Your foolishness is insufferable. One would assume you would have caught on by now.
Sora- W-what are you saying!?
Donald- That's not Goofy!

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
hey chief i dont exactly think this is living up to the 'best rp over text' standard you were talking about

Seasaltrio

Awards
hey chief i dont exactly think this is living up to the 'best rp over text' standard you were talking about
Yeah, that literally is, like, 1/100th of the full conversation😂. I'm letting people add onto this. It's an RP.

Back