• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
@Just Dari
Sora reseting would be easier to forgive in a more standalone series like Sonic. A more serialized narrative needs more of a payoff.

When we're talking about stats, I totally understand the why. When we're talking about character development and completely wiping his memory as if that absolves him from an instance of being extremely unlovable, they basically robbed him of an entirely separate redemption arc and the supporting cast that was unaffected (Namine in particular) just never told him.

It extends further when he talks to reincarnated versions of Org members he basically sent to the shadow realm and they're just as bad at not "jogging his memory".

~~~~~

CoM Axel was the best version of him across all the games. A double-agent two-faced, save-face ball of passion that served to Yeet more than his share of "allies" was probably one of the saving graces of Chain of Memories.

Bruh this man straight up said, "What kind of game is this? You think cowering behind namine will stop me? Think again! Your little mascot can keep you company in the void!"

YOOOOOOOOOO WHAT.

D

Deleted member 246005

@Just Dari
I don't disagree. I would've forgiven the first half of KH2 if it dealt with the fallout CoM.

A timeskip and Sora being lazy or complacent rather than training would've been preferable.

Guernsey

Awards
KH doesn't need Final Fantasy anymore.
Sora is actually a good character.
DISNEY helps KH, not hurt it.

To be fair, the Final Fantasy series has been a part of the franchise just as much as Disney. It would ludicrous to get rid of Final Fantasy at this point.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
To be fair, the Final Fantasy series has been a part of the franchise just as much as Disney. It would ludicrous to get rid of Final Fantasy at this point.
Are you serious? "Just as much as DISNEY"? Even in KH1, there's probably 30 minutes worth of cutscenes for Final Fantasy characters compared to basically the rest of the game being DISNEY.

And it wasn't that "ludicrous" to get rid of Final Fantasy since it actually happened in KH3.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Are you serious? "Just as much as DISNEY"? Even in KH1, there's probably 30 minutes worth of cutscenes for Final Fantasy characters compared to basically the rest of the game being DISNEY.

And it wasn't that "ludicrous" to get rid of Final Fantasy since it actually happened in KH3.
To play devil's advocate (I don't care if FF is in KH or not), Kingdom Hearts was advertised as a crossover franchise between Disney and Final Fantasy. The usage of FF characters was one of the biggest advertisements for the series. It makes sense why someone would consider it to be on the same level as Disney initially.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
To play devil's advocate (I don't care if FF is in KH or not), Kingdom Hearts was advertised as a crossover franchise between Disney and Final Fantasy. The usage of FF characters was one of the biggest advertisements for the series. It makes sense why someone would consider it to be on the same level as Disney initially.
It is a crossover between Final Fantasy and DISNEY. Not just characters, but the style of game as it is very much like a Final Fantasy game. Crossover doesn't mean that both parties are used equally. Guernsey's point was that Final Fantasy was a part of the franchise "just as much as DISNEY" which is objectively false. Even in KH1, DISNEY was more prevalent than Final Fantasy. In fact, the most you get from Final Fantasy are character appearances and references on weapons/Gummi ships. DISNEY populates almost everything else.

I'm not against Final Fantasy being used, but the ideology that the Radiant Garden crew have to always be used should be retired. They were not needed in KH3 - they wouldn't have a purpose. Final Fantasy should be used in different ways now, probably be relegated to secret boss fights or the villain of a DISNEY world that DISNEY forbids the actual villain to fight in. For example, Shiva could have been the boss in Arendelle instead of a giant heartless.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I personally agree with you on the FF characters, but I think there was something on the first page about not disagreeing over UOs because it makes it more unlikely people will share them or something like that?

Sonofjafar

Awards
It is a crossover between Final Fantasy and DISNEY. Not just characters, but the style of game as it is very much like a Final Fantasy game. Crossover doesn't mean that both parties are used equally. Guernsey's point was that Final Fantasy was a part of the franchise "just as much as DISNEY" which is objectively false. Even in KH1, DISNEY was more prevalent than Final Fantasy. In fact, the most you get from Final Fantasy are character appearances and references on weapons/Gummi ships. DISNEY populates almost everything else.

I'm not against Final Fantasy being used, but the ideology that the Radiant Garden crew have to always be used should be retired. They were not needed in KH3 - they wouldn't have a purpose. Final Fantasy should be used in different ways now, probably be relegated to secret boss fights or the villain of a DISNEY world that DISNEY forbids the actual villain to fight in. For example, Shiva could have been the boss in Arendelle instead of a giant heartless.
Speaking of Arendelle, another unpopular opinion of mine is is that Hans would have been a better choice for that world’s boss than Elsa. It could be lien Clayton in KH1 where he teams up with the giant heartless wolf and then they both die when you beat them

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Speaking of Arendelle, another unpopular opinion of mine is is that Hans would have been a better choice for that world’s boss than Elsa. It could be lien Clayton in KH1 where he teams up with the giant heartless wolf and then they both die when you beat them
Even if Hans wasn't even able to be attacked, I wish he was on the battlefield in some manner. There could have been a reaction command segment with Hans (like press triangle at the right time, if not he strikes you).

I guess my unpopular opinion is that DISNEY should be more creative with using their characters in boss fights. The pay off to exploring a DISNEY movie should be to fight the villain. Even the Queen of Hearts was part of the action and you could knock her out. I rather get a gimmicky DISNEY villain battle, then a giant heartless battle over just a giant heartless battle and conveniently shoving the DISNEY villain far away from the battle.

AegisXIII

Awards
Which makes me think about an unpopular opinion related to Disney itself:
Disney movies are becoming boring by their lack of villain. Not having a proper villain produces stories that are harder to grasp for small kids, which should be the main target. Nowadays, villains are never fully evil, thus resulting in Disney saying that we shouldn't hit them with a giant key.

Reactions: Raz

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Not having a proper villain produces stories that are harder to grasp for small kids, which should be the main target.
Not gonna lie, this is a plus for me and I don't think kids are as dumb as we think they are. That being said, I do miss traditional villains.

AegisXIII

Awards
Not gonna lie, this is a plus for me and I don't think kids are as dumb as we think they are. That being said, I do miss traditional villains.
It is more subtle yes and probably better written than a villain like Jafar with no back story, but none of these "more realistic" villains are iconic. Mother Gothel was the last one and it's a shame we didn't get to fight her in KH3. She would have been a worthy opponent with a dagger and maybe some magic.
Kids are not dumb and do understand the story, but they surely care less without a bid bad guy.

D

Deleted member 246005

KH's main appeal is the crossover elements. Outside of this forum, the original story is more of a joke. So FF's value is a marketing one. They are a stronger group of characters to sell the series.

In hindsight I wished they were the protagonists instead of Sora. Even if they are younger and altered version like Zack in BBS or Seifer in Twilight Town.

So using the spinoffs for an FF character hanging out with a Disney character would be great.

Post KH4 would be a great time for it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkilator

Awards
I never understood people who said Roxas and Xion wouldn’t come back because they’ve “served their purpose”. Luckily, it seems like it died down after KH3 actually came out, and I for one am glad these two got their happy ending. They deserved it after what they’ve been through.

Zackarix

Awards
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I have to say it.

Having the KHUX player character reincarnate into Xehanort was a much more impactful idea than having them reincarnate into Xehanort's hermit parental figure. Even if they turn out to be the Missing-Link player character it's hard to imagine any new element that would hit anywhere near as hard.

Assuming that it was always planned as a bait-and-switch I wish they had never introduced the idea in the first place.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
+We could really use a 1.5h film on Sora and Riku as kids during that connects with those visions of the past shown to us in KH1 as well as the interactions with the BBS cast on the islands.

Just my two cents.

D

Deleted member 246005

+We could really use a 1.5h film on Sora and Riku as kids during that connects with those visions of the past shown to us in KH1 as well as the interactions with the BBS cast on the islands.

Just my two cents.
I'd probably do something similar for Kairi, showing how she got acclimated to Destiny Islands.

AegisXIII

Awards
I'd probably do something similar for Kairi, showing how she got acclimated to Destiny Islands.
We don't even know the village around the islands. It might be time we learn about it.

Zackarix

Awards
Alyson Stoner's casting as Kairi is fine. Not ideal, but she's an acceptable soundalike and I can understand why SE got tired of Hayden turning them down even if they were mostly offering bit parts.

Except for her performance in KH3. I understand that they were trying to make Kairi and Xion sound similar but distinct, but her Kairi voice in that game sounds so much less natural than her Xion voice that the difference is glaring.

SE vocal directors, please stop trying to give Kairi an unnaturally high voice, I'm begging you!

Back