• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► TheGamer: The hurdle is high for a FFXIV x Kingdom Hearts crossover

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Final Fantasy XIV Producer and Director Naoki Yoshida spoke to online gaming news site TheGamer about the likelihood of a Kingdom Hearts crossover in FFXIV.

In the interview, Yoshida stated that "Kingdom Hearts is not owned solely by Square Enix but also belongs to Disney," and further stated that he believes "the hurdle is considerably high" in regards to the possibility of a crossover event with Kingdom Hearts ever happening in FFXIV

While it seems like the odds are low at the moment due to the complicated nature of Kingdom Hearts' ownership, perhaps this will change one day in the future. Kingdom Hearts at the very heart of its nature is a crossover game encompassing elements from iconic Disney properties and Final Fantasy games. 

READ THE FULL ARTICLE ON THEGAMER'S WEBSITE

Let us know if you would be interested in seeing a Kingdom Hearts crossover event in FFXIV or to see FFXIV characters in a future Kingdom Hearts game in our comment section!

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts III, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory, and all things Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Assuming Nomura decides to use FF characters again in Phase 2 that would lead to the possibility of XIV characters in the series. Not sure if Disney would be ok with a crossover though. Maybe Sora's Keyblade or Riku's Soul Eater could be added in as DLC weapons

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Is it a Disney thing or a KH or Square Thing? Cause they say things like that but then we get a bunch of Disney mobile games with countless IPs clashing against each other. Maybe cause they think KH is too mainstream?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Is it a Disney thing or a KH or Square Thing? Cause they say things like that but then we get a bunch of Disney mobile games with countless IPs clashing against each other. Maybe cause they think KH is too mainstream?

I think they have different rules for their mobile games. Overall they seem to never have issues with crossovers and more zany concepts.

It should be noted that Disney went on the record this year to say they were loosening the reigns on video game developers, so things can easily change.

It got lost in the world falling into chaos.

(Also I am of the mind that Yoshida is being evasive and is saying Disney but it is likely Nomura lol but this is just a personal belief and I have no evidence beyond saying I have a hunch)

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I imagine the big hurdle this has is that, unlike Tsum Tsum and WoFF, a story would have to be written for a crossover scenario and Disney would require that to be canon.

Still, costumes would have been nice. Or a Gummi Ship mount.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I feel like Nomura treats almost everything with KH to be canon (like the concert), so he will feel pressured to find a canon explanation... which he won't want to do, so he will turn it down (and blame Disney).

I think the easiest crossover they can do is give costumes and weapons from KH. But I doubt Nomura will want his characters in a Final Fantasy game... especially after what was done to him by Square.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I feel like Nomura treats almost everything with KH to be canon (like the concert), so he will feel pressured to find a canon explanation... which he won't want to do, so he will turn it down (and blame Disney).

I think the easiest crossover they can do is give costumes and weapons from KH. But I doubt Nomura will want his characters in a Final Fantasy game... especially after what was done to him by Square.

I mean. He would have to still write a storyline concept anyways because FFXIV events are usually pretty big and involved and thus far every crossover has had , so having to take the time to write something that would make it canon would just be part of the package.

Nomura only takes issue with FF if he doesn’t have control over it. If he were allowed to do the crossover but was given a considerable amount of control over the storyline, theoretically he should be fine with it.

Next crossover is with Smash, right? Right guys? /s

I mean...I still think it is possible.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
Good. KH wouldnt fit with XIV at all.

Hard disagree. Not only are the ascians looks-wise basically wearing rip-off org cloaks (which me and my friends joked about constantly) there is a running theme of light vs darkness that absolutely resonates with the direction it seems KH is taking. Afterall, ShB was all about bringing about a balance with light being the oppressor in this instance and not good by default. While KH is more simplistic usually in its light vs darkness debate, I feel like there are some looming questions about if light is going to continue to be universally good in the kh universe (especially if the Master is indeed connected to light as clues seem to suggest).

Also, how can we forget the structure of the FF14 universe that ShB presented with fragmented worlds that were all once one whole but fractured after a cataclysmic event that split them into 14 pieces. THAT doesn't sound like KH at ALL. Nope. Clearly not.

Thematically there is a whole laundry list of things KH could use to "fit in" to the 14 universe and, frankly speaking, fits in way better than some of the other crossover events like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hard disagree. Not only are the ascians looks-wise basically wearing rip-off org cloaks (which me and my friends joked about constantly) there is a running theme of light vs darkness that absolutely resonates with the direction it seems KH is taking. Afterall, ShB was all about bringing about a balance with light being the oppressor in this instance and not good by default. While KH is more simplistic usually in its light vs darkness debate, I feel like there are some looming questions about if light is going to continue to be universally good in the kh universe (especially if the Master is indeed connected to light as clues seem to suggest).

Also, how can we forget the structure of the FF14 universe that ShB presented with fragmented worlds that were all once one whole but fractured after a cataclysmic event that split them into 14 pieces. THAT doesn't sound like KH at ALL. Nope. Clearly not.

Thematically there is a whole laundry list of things KH could use to "fit in" to the 14 universe and, frankly speaking, fits in way better than some of the other crossover events like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest.

I agree with all of this, but I imagine cumguardian is speaking about the tone of FFXIV not fitting KH too much and vice versa. While there are plenty of thematic similarities and some design similarities, I feel like the general tone and feeling of the game contrasts with KH greatly.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
While ultimately it probably doesn't matter since at this stage a crossover is unlikely, I still don't think it would be a problem at all or any more jarring compared to what has ever been done before or what will be done in the future, even from a general tone perspective. XIV often deals with heavier topics, yes, but it isn't one to shy away from general light-hearted things now and again and that is one of the reasons I love it "malms" more than any other MMO out there. It's serious but it's plenty goofy.

There is a reason why the Manderville sidequests are massively beloved by most and I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they don't fit into the general atmosphere of the game. Like...when you have a nearly naked man wielding a tiny golden hammer pile-driving his son from heavenly heights into the dirt followed by a jazz-dance number (with a zombie as a guest character) and have that be completely 100% canon I am sure that having a few KH characters appear to have an optimistic chit-chat about friendship would be tame in comparison.

And even if the "general" tone is heavier in XIV, crossover events have always been kind of...weird and non sequitur. For example, the current Yo-Kai event they brought back that is ongoing now is just like "hey...here is this guy with funky hair who just sort of showed up to showcase his roving band of goofy ghosts and he wants YOU to play with them! Whoopie!" Like...Yo-Kai couldn't be further removed from XIV in terms of theme since it is literally a children's pokemon rip-off game. I guess because you could say that some of the Yo-kai are dead or based on creepy mythology it deals with death...maybe. And while yeah, it is weird that Yo-Kai is in XIV and does sort of clash thematically, they found a way to make Yo-Kai work so why not KH which is even CLOSER to XIV thematically.

Even the FFXV event was really weird in concept. Noctis just sort of...shows up through a rift in time/space with his car and you fight garuda while you wait for his car to get serviced and then he leaves. It was the most random thing ever but it was still pretty cool. Most people just rush through the dialogues for the goodies anyway.

Gunbreaker would be a perfect class to give a Keyblade considering the stance of your character has them holding it over their shoulder like Sora when you run around and has as ability named "heart of light". Giving us costumes and clothing glams from KH or even just some Orchestrion rolls would be pretty jam.

Also...just wanted to point out that while this is unconfirmed by any means, I have always been INCREDIBLY suspicious of the black mage weapon in the Gold Saucer named "Heartless" that is, essentially, a giant golden KH style heart on a stick. To me that is almost like a little subtle nod they have already put in the game towards the KH series.

Even though largely this discussion is moot because it's not gonna happen it looks like, I mainly just wanted to say that FFXIV is campy as all hell at times and no one can tell me that that camp doesn't match KH to a T, haha.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
With the exception of Vivi and Setzer, all the Final Fantasy characters in Kingdom Hearts have been designed by him so that in itself is a hurdle as to who can be featured for future entries.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
With the exception of Vivi and Setzer, all the Final Fantasy characters in Kingdom Hearts have been designed by him so that in itself is a hurdle as to who can be featured for future entries.

Nomura's long past that hurdle because of Dissidia and Dissidia Opera Omnia.

That isn't what this topic is about anyways. It's about KH in FFXIV.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Good. KH wouldnt fit with XIV at all.
Completely agree. I just can’t picture it after looking at all the crossovers. There really is no “super boss” from KH worth being an event. It definitely wouldn’t be a Disney character. The best I can think of is a dream eater boss, but it would just feel out of place in my opinion.

Back