• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

(theory) A tale of two wars and a new idea about the meaning of the name Dandelion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hirokey123

Awards
So I will warn you right now this going to come off as a crackpot theory but still it's been something I've been toying with for awhile now and I wanted to share it.

It all begins with the keyblade war or rather the keyblade war we had in Chi. Having seen it happen first hand this war has bothered me a lot because nothing we saw really lined up proper with what we knew about the war. The war was supposed to be fought over the X-blade and the shattering of the X-blade caused Kingdom Hearts and the world to fall to darkness. When the X-blade broke it broke into two halves, dark and light. The darkness of the X-blade split into 13 pieces and the light split into 7 in order to protect the 7 remaining pure hearts in the world giving our first 7 guardians of light and 7 princess of pure heart. These 7 pure hearts functioned as the new source of light in the world and from the realm of light was remade into what it is now.

On top of all this we have an ancient fairytale to go by that is far more vague. It says that a long time ago people lived in the warmth of light but eventually they grew greedy and tried to take the light for themselves. They fought over the light until it all but disappeared and the world was swallowed by darkness. But small fragments of light survived in the hearts of children who then rebuilt the lost world they live in today.

Now fast forward or rewind I guess to chi where we see the war. 5 unions lead by the 5 foretellers wage a war based on an obsession with Lux. While never properly explained lux was a form of light they harvested and the unions competition over the light of lux and it's implied by union leader Gula that lux can be used to summon kingdom hearts. However nothing with this war really lined up with what we were told. Where was Kingdom Hearts? Where was the X-blade and breaking of it? Why were we told people fought over it if it had seemingly nothing to do with the war we just saw? All these questions plagued me but then I realized something, while it doesn't line up at ALL with the history we were told later it DOES line up almost perfectly with the fairytale version we heard. That's when I realized something...what if there were actually two wars and history just merged the story of them together over time? If there was another separate war for the X-blade that would easily account for all these discrepancies.

Of course there would be a couple things necessary for all this to the case. First we would need a large swath of keybladers which seems a tall order when the first war seemingly wiped the majority of them out. Second we would need a reason that people would have caused a second war instead of learning from the past. Third we'd need a place for this second war to happen that was hidden away from the realm of light, a place where if the war happened there wouldn't be easy to find traces of it making it easy for it to be confused and mixed together in the same war. Fourth we still need for someone to know about the X-blade and make the initial grab for it. And finally we would need there to be a way for the existence of this war to be reported to a general populace. And when I thought about everything that was needed I realized that the dandelion situation perfectly covered all of this.

Think about it, light begets darkness and the stronger the light the stronger the darkness. Whenever too much light is brought into a spot it always begets a darkness of equally destructive magnitude or greater than it. So while in theory preserving light by taking all the light heaviest/most darkness resistant wielders and putting them into this "unchained" world is a good idea on paper, in reality it creates a highly volatile ticking timebomb of darkness. But I digress let's move onto the more important point. Outside the new leaders no one in the dandelions knows about the war, the memory of the tragedy has been erased from their minds existing only as fleeting nightmares now. What this means is these wielders aren't capable of learning from the past and if you can't learn from the past you're doomed to repeat it. They are lead by people who do know about the past and want to avoid making the same mistakes but that can easily create an arrogance where they get so caught in thinking they can do it better that they repeat the same mistakes anyway or worse. Or the fact they know and don't tell results in people eventually learning things like the foretellers are dead and they lose faith in their new union leaders resulting in a lack of their ability to control/lead.

It should be clear what I am suggesting now is that the war over the X-blade was a separate war that will be waged by the Dandelions in the world of unchained. A war that happens in that world wouldn't leave traces of itself in the realm of light, the only evidence of it would be if someone from the unchained world that was there was able to tell someone in the realm of light about it. If you think that sounds absurd do not that Ventus and Lauriam appear to actually be from the past and yet are here in the present, and I think I might know how it that happened and feel they may in fact be evidence this is the case.

See think back the X-blade in BBS. When that lesser blade self destructed it released a white light and that light had an interesting effect, it blasted some of the people caught in it into other worlds or just out of the world in general. Aqua and Ventus ended up floating in the ocean between, we don't know where Mickey went but he fought them out there. Lingering Will remained right where he is and Terranort was blasted to Radiant Garden. That was just a lesser X-blade, with a few people, and that was a regular world. Now I want you to imagine this on the much grander scale we were told....

Think about it, there is a war over the X-blade, it breaks and suddenly all those dandelions are being scattered to winds. But why would they scatter through space AND time you might ask? Well if the world of unchained is actually in a dream world in the realm of sleep like has been subtly implied that would explain that. The realm of sleep exists outside the normal boundaries of time. Sora and Riku for example entered the realm of sleep in the past but then exited it right into the present as a form of pseudo time travel. So it's not too far fetched to believe that because they were actually in a world outside the normal flow of time that when the X-blade broke it all the wielders caught up in it were sent absolutely all over the place. Some in the past, some in the present, and probably some to appear in the future as well.

This brings a whole new idea to name of dandelion if this was actually what was intended for them the entire time. They way they would be scattered would be exactly like how when you pluck a dandelion and blow it the seeds get carried off and go all over the place. In this case the seeds would be the individual dandelion members scattering across time and space, little seeds of light holding the power of the keyblade planted everywhere. If this was true it would be almost impossible for light or the keyblade to truly vanish, in a way it would be like an ultimate back-up plan. Things go according to the book, light expires from Xehanort's war, and then boom a couple of dandelions pop up with light in their hearts the world is able to be rebuilt once more.

Now here is how I think everything essentially went. We had the first war over lux which flood the world with darkness destroying it and then for a time that world had to make do without any light. Then we had the second war fought in the world of unchained, that world got destroyed, the X-blade shattered, 7 of the dandelions became the princess of pure heart, and pretty much all the dandelions were scattered all over the place. The 7 proto-princess of pure heart appeared in the past (or I guess present at the time if you consider perspective) and with their introduction to the ruined original world light returns. Thus they along with whatever people survived the first war and whatever dandelions also got sent with them rebuild the world we know today. Other dandelions like Ventus and Lauriam were sent to present (or I guess future) appearing around the BBS era and thus how Ventus and Marluxia are here with us today. If Ventus and Lauriam were particularly close to this devastating X-blade destruction that might explain their memory wipe ala Ansem the Wise's similar memory wipe as result of his heart encoder explosion, another explosion related to Kingdom hearts I might add that sent someone to another world in this case the realm of darkness.

As for the legend meshing that's a result of the fact the tales were so similar. Both were tales of worlds being destroyed by a war over light, Kingdom Hearts was seemingly involved in them both, and the only real difference was one war was fought over literal fragments of light and the other was fought over the X-blade. Over the hundreds of years details would be lost and shifted around until both wars were composited into a story about a single war that contained aspects from both. This would be further fueled by the realm of light having evidence of only one war, the keyblade graveyard as the other war would have its evidence existing in the world of unchained.

Like I said though this is mostly a crackpot theory.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Oh, this is beautiful! I do not find it to be too much of a crack theory, to be honest. In previous threads (like this one), many agreed that it is highly likely for there to be two wars in the story indeed and I personally believe so, too. The tales of the two wars to alter and combine through time is a perfectly plausible thing, as it happens irl too with any old tales, be it mythological, relligious or historical ones, they all change and some simply merge together in ambiguous yet natural ways, considering the way oral story telling goes. From this perspective, the fact that we have two different presentations of said Keyblade War becomes actually justified instead of just being the result of KH's often clunky/ambiguous way of story development/evolution.

Your observation about the great blast the X-blade produced in BBS is genius - it indeed completes the metaphor of the Dandelions quite literally scattering everywhere across the universe as seeds of Light. The "scatter through space" part is definitely clear and understandable, with the ending of BBS in mind. The "scatter through time" idea is ambitious (and I like the heck out of it). In BBS, the characters caught in the blast ended up in different places but still in a time we could call their present. Evidence of this: Sora, Riku, Braig and Dilan, characters we've seen before through the events of BBS, didn't seem to age at all. So, for the blast to have some time-travel ability, with only this info, there's no guarantee. We only can say they'd end up in the present for sure.

About "scattered through time - ended up in the future". The biggest problem about this is the period of time between the moment they were catapulted through time and the moment they appeared somewhere else. It's a period of time in which they didn't exist at all, so Ventus and Lauriam would just "sort of just appeared one day". This isn't too bad of an aspect though. There's a different one more interesting: Ven ended up in a time before BBS, to be found by Xehanort, while Lauriam isn't present through BBS, yet his Nobody form is present during Days and CoM, so Marluxia must have appeared some time before Days, at least. ((the wikia says he was "originally discovered by senior Organization members Xigbar and Xaldin", I must yet find the precise source of this info in the games just to make sure how the text appears. But notice, as of now, the use of the Nobody names, which means Pinky indeed appeared only after Braig and Dilan turned into Nobodies themselves. And well... while is does say the "Marluxia" was discovered, it still remains unclear when Lauriam's Nobody was created and if, by any chance, when said great blast happened, Lauriam was still a Somebody OR it was actually already his Nobody OR the great blast somehow turned him into a Nobody, despite how crazy this might seem).

About "scattered through time - ended up in the past", I find this somehow very problematic but I'll need one more espresso to actually make my mind fit this possibility in the bigger theoretical picture somehow lol

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I like this theory a lot. It's hard to argue against it because you've really delved deep into the structure of the theory. The war in X seems fairly anti-climatic for what it's worth so it's inevitable that another war would occur to justify conflict in the new narrative. However, I do have a few questions regarding the theory.

• How come the Princess of Hearts are considered Dandelions? the criterion to be a Dandelion was to have a strong and not necessarily a heart of pure light.
  • Who's going to orchestrate the second war? who's the one that wants to see the X-Blade and Kingdom Hearts?

Outside of these two questions, this is a genuinely strong theory that seems entirely likely to happen. Good job, I like how you remembered the X-Blade blast in Birth by Sleep and how it essentially wiped Terranort's memory when he was blasted to Radiant Garden. That has the memory loss issue sorted out.

About "scattered through time - ended up in the future". The biggest problem about this is the period of time between the moment they were catapulted through time and the moment they appeared somewhere else. It's a period of time in which they didn't exist at all, so Ventus and Lauriam would just "sort of just appeared one day". This isn't too bad of an aspect though. There's a different one more interesting: Ven ended up in a time before BBS, to be found by Xehanort, while Lauriam isn't present through BBS, yet his Nobody form is present during Days and CoM, so Marluxia must have appeared some time before Days, at least. ((the wikia says he was "originally discovered by senior Organization members Xigbar and Xaldin", I must yet find the precise source of this info in the games just to make sure how the text appears. But notice, as of now, the use of the Nobody names, which means Pinky indeed appeared only after Braig and Dilan turned into Nobodies themselves. And well... while is does say the "Marluxia" was discovered, it still remains unclear when Lauriam's Nobody was created and if, by any chance, when said great blast happened, Lauriam was still a Somebody OR it was actually already his Nobody OR the great blast somehow turned him into a Nobody, despite how crazy this might seem).

About "scattered through time - ended up in the past", I find this somehow very problematic but I'll need one more espresso to actually make my mind fit this possibility in the bigger theoretical picture somehow lol

Being catapulted through time isn't necessarily time travelling in the conventional sense. You see, Xehanort travelling through time is through intentional means, Ventus and Lauriam being catapulted through time is through un-intentional means. And unlike Young Xehanort, Ventus and Lauriam would have (hypothetically) been catapulted from a dream world/alternate reality into the real world as opposed to the real world. All of Young Xehanort's time travelling was just through the real world.

Hirokey123

Awards
Lauriam isn't present in BBS but that doesn't mean he wasn't there somewhere in the worlds. If Ventus and Lauriam got blasted to the same time together their ages add up perfectly. 4-5 years between Xehanort find Ventus and the start of BBS proper, then up to another 10 years where Ventus doesn't age a day while Marluxia does. Puts Ventus at age 15-16 and Marluxia at around age 20-30 which lines up well with his appearance.

Yeah this isn't regular time travel this a kind of unintended consequence thing that only worked one way. The series has already established not all forms of time travel have to follow Xehanort's rules. The time travel in KH2 didn't, the time travel Sora and Riku did didn't fully, and so it's not weird for there to be another form of time travel that doesn't follow his rules either. This isn't really true time travel either since they were more just being scattered from a place that "potentially" exists outside the regular bounds of time.

The theory suggests the dandelions are just where 7 children with pure hearts came from. Like if there was any place you'd find 7 children who manage to keep their hearts pure during a devastating war of darkness, the dandelions is a pretty good place for them to come from since they are supposed to be a group of very light high/darkness resistant children.

Who starts the second war is the question but I imagine it was probably the new union leaders. They are friends right now but all it takes is some conflicts of interest between the group to spark dissent and war. Especially since one of them has the book of prophecies and the X-blade's story has to be written down in that book. If the book falls into the wrong hands like Lauriam's I could easily see how war over the X-blade could begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back