• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Too Many Trailers? Too Many Spoilers?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

jahob000

I'm not raging or upset. Nothing like that, but does anyone else feel like we're getting a little too much eye candy? I mean I get it. Everyone's been waiting for years and summer blockbuster movies do the same thing so maybe that's just how it is now a days. Maybe Nomura feels like it's not revealing much, implying there is so much more.

However haven't they shown us all of the worlds that are going to be in the game? They said it was going to be fewer so I feel like we're seeing all of the worlds. Also A LOT of gameplay has been revealed along with characters. Even so, I still can't help but become giddy when I see them.

Anyone else feel the same? Different?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
This level of "spoilery" content in trailers is pretty standard for KH games. But despite how much has been shown, I still feel like we haven't seen much at all.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
What most people consider “spoilers” in trailers don’t bother me all that much. The trailers are carefully crafted by Nomura and his team, so in my opinion, they’re an important part of how Nomura wants to set us up for the game itself. If I end up playing the game and it turns out all the good stuff was shown, then I might be bothered. But until I experience it myself, I just don’t see a point in worrying about it beforehand. Personally, I don’t want to already be on edge when I start playing the game because I’m worried they might have shown too much.

Cyborg009

Bot-Buster
Awards
i'm with Sign on this. true we're bring shown a lot of scenes, but they don't show us everything. it's like building a jigsaw puzzle but we're only given a certain number of pieces with each trailer, but we can't see the complete picture.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
Too man trailers yes too man spoilers no

I miss how we woulf get our 5 minuit trailer at tgs and then the 7 minute at Jump festa

they were like events
[video=youtube;cCxHjrjQTaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCxHjrjQTaI[/video]

Rii

Awards
I had this conversation today with a friend of mine who’s not into Kingdom Hearts. He said he felt like I’ve talked about them dropping a lot of trailers, and I told him that’s because KH games are a bit different than other games. They use trailers to showcase Disney world’s, so they have more trailers, but with that they do a good job of making sure they don’t spoil too much of the main storyline.

metro96

What most people consider “spoilers” in trailers don’t bother me all that much. The trailers are carefully crafted by Nomura and his team, so in my opinion, they’re an important part of how Nomura wants to set us up for the game itself. If I end up playing the game and it turns out all the good stuff was shown, then I might be bothered. But until I experience it myself, I just don’t see a point in worrying about it beforehand. Personally, I don’t want to already be on edge when I start playing the game because I’m worried they might have shown too much.

And I feel like video games trailers are just kind of different than movie trailers. You experience a movie trailer in the same way you experience a movie. It’s a totally passive experience. But because you play the game and advance with the story, I think even the content that’s been spoiled will still feel rewarding because you’re immsersed in their story that’s unfolding. If I only got to watch the cutscene movie for KH3, I think I’d be a bit more annoyed by spoilers in trailers

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Too man trailers yes too man spoilers no

I miss how we woulf get our 5 minuit trailer at tgs and then the 7 minute at Jump festa

they were like events
[video=youtube;cCxHjrjQTaI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCxHjrjQTaI[/video]
I agree, the amount of trailers is kind of absurd and each one feels less special than the last, but the content they've shown is so scattershot and varied in degrees of completeness that it doesn't even feel like we've gotten a real, proper look at the game yet. It's just been one long, overextended marketing cycle of hype bait.

I'm personally looking forward to the last 45 minute long trailer of totally spoilerific endgame content, though.

TheMostRad

Personally, I don't mind the surge of trailers, but that's just because after the faucet's been shut off for so long, now it's starting to pick up it's drip speed, and ​daddy needs his juice.

jahob000

I'm not really worried about it per say. At times I felt like they were showing us stuff just because we were being impatient, even when the initial release date of 2018 was announced, it felt like it was just to calm us down. However I do agree with what you said, Nomura knows what he wants to show and doesn't want to show us. So hopefully the things that's been exposed is only a small percentage of the game.

In any case, it hasn't affected my excitement level at all. The game's coming out in two months!

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I'm also with Sign on this. Like we've seen some stuff, but it's probably just the tip of the ice berg.

Awards
It seems like they’re being a lot more careful with spoilers for this game. I think the only spoilers they’ve shown in my opinion are Sora and Aqua’s battle and Ven, Vantias, and Aqua in LoD. Other than that, they haven’t been that spoiler heavy. We haven’t even seen any major boss battles.

I hope the trailers stay this way and just give us a taste of stuff. The JF BBS trailer before the release was absolutely ridiculous with the amount of spoilers it had (Aqua being Master, CO, Ven’s fate, the secret movie.) So lets hope the final trailers won’t be anything like THAT.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I hope the trailers stay this way and just give us a taste of stuff. The JF BBS trailer before the release was absolutely ridiculous with the amount of spoilers it had (Aqua being Master, CO, Ven’s fate, the secret movie.) So lets hope the final trailers won’t be anything like THAT.
I feel like people are really in a hurry to consider themselves spoiled over things like this. Let's be real:

Aqua becomes a Master in the first 20 minutes of the game, Ventus's fate isn't at all clear from the trailer prior to playing the game and figuring out the timeline for his scenes (similar to Aqua's situation in KH3), Castle Oblivion is shown for one shot and there's no way of determining within the context of the trailer where or when that occurs because the information necessary to arrive at the correct conclusion is only introduced within the game itself for the first time in the series, and there are like two shots from the secret movie which one wouldn't know is from the secret movie when viewing the trailer. None of these things are spoilers by definition because it's not possible to spoil the game simply by viewing the trailer: once one plays the game, it becomes clear that endgame content was included in the material, but that's a matter of hindsight. If you haven't gone into the game knowing what will happen, you haven't been spoiled.

For contrast, a spoiler would have been actually showing Vanitas's face, revealing who Eraqus was attacking (and why), revealing who Aqua was confronting (and why), etc.

A trailer has to build intrigue somehow. The BBS launch trailer does this right because it establishes the characters' motivations, along with their central conflicts, and gives a general overview of the framing and direction of their journey. It's no more spoilery than watching the OP, but it also serves as a gentle reminder that it's about the journey as much as the destination for the BBS trio. They were always "destined" (from our perspective) for a tragic end, which was foreshadowed pretty concretely by the KH2 secret ending around which the whole game was premised: we as the audience were always being led to wonder how they got there, first and foremost. Being "spoiled," in that sense, is relative.

Frankly, I would love for KH3 to take a note out of BBS's playbook and show us something we can sink our teeth into. I keep my fingers crossed we'll finally learn some basic stuff like why Kairi is in KH3 and why Riku's hair can't decide if it's bringing sexy back or not by the time 12/18 rolls around.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
I have personally been selective in what I watch.

I have only watched "trailers" and avoided every single in-depth look at any of the disney worlds and the gameplay that came with it.

As such, I feel like my amount of spoilers is incredibly low. There are little fragments of things in the trailers that COULD be important and turn out to be parts of really spoilery scenes (speaking specifically of the weird sky-chirithy scene), but I didn't get to see enough of that scene to actually piece together what is happening other than squealing briefly over the appearance of a cute cat.

There have been no obvious drops of anything direct. We have HINTS (such as the brief conversation we saw about there being someone among the norts who wasn't behaving properly) but we have no idea who that was referring to, where in the game that takes place, etc. It isn't like we got MX walking out and saying something like "AND NOW I WILL OPEN KINGDOM HEARTS" and reaching off screen.

Obviously with hindsight we can look back on trailers and be like "ah ah ah they showed us a clip of part of the final world!!" but at this point there isn't any way to tell that content apart from all the other stuff flashed at us. I don't consider that a spoiler because we don't have the context to make it one.

As far as watching the "in-depth" exploration of the worlds such as the toy story video for example? Yeah I consider that major spoiler and am pleased with my decision to ignore its existence completely.

robotman

HELL NO! If it was up to me we'd know all of the worlds, all of the links/summons and all of the magic by now.

We haven't actually been given that much, there's going to be many twists and turns coming, don't worry too much about the reveals.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Technically, anything can be a spoiler. Some people are annoyed characters like Larxene weren't left as a surprise, whereas people like me don't consider that a big deal and figured she'd be in.

Compared to previous games, they've been doing a good job in not showing too much, with what could be considered spoilery, such as trying to bring back Roxas, happening pretty early. We also don't know the full context for a lot of what we've seen.

All this talk about spoilery trailers is making feel nostalgic.
[video=youtube;8NB83IP_f2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NB83IP_f2s[/video]

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
This level of "spoilery" content in trailers is pretty standard for KH games. But despite how much has been shown, I still feel like we haven't seen much at all.

I feel like people are really in a hurry to consider themselves spoiled over things like this.

For contrast, a spoiler would have been actually showing Vanitas's face, revealing who Eraqus was attacking (and why), revealing who Aqua was confronting (and why), etc.

A trailer has to build intrigue somehow. The BBS launch trailer does this right because it establishes the characters' motivations, along with their central conflicts, and gives a general overview of the framing and direction of their journey. It's no more spoilery than watching the OP, but it also serves as a gentle reminder that it's about the journey as much as the destination for the BBS trio. They were always "destined" (from our perspective) for a tragic end, which was foreshadowed pretty concretely by the KH2 secret ending around which the whole game was premised: we as the audience were always being led to wonder how they got there, first and foremost. Being "spoiled," in that sense, is relative.

Frankly, I would love for KH3 to take a note out of BBS's playbook and show us something we can sink our teeth into. I keep my fingers crossed we'll finally learn some basic stuff like why Kairi is in KH3 and why Riku's hair can't decide if it's bringing sexy back or not by the time 12/18 rolls around.

Technically, anything can be a spoiler. Some people are annoyed characters like Larxene weren't left as a surprise, whereas people like me don't consider that a big deal and figured she'd be in.

Compared to previous games, they've been doing a good job in not showing too much, with what could be considered spoilery, such as trying to bring back Roxas, happening pretty early. We also don't know the full context for a lot of what we've seen.

Pretty much.
I have to fight this battle pretty much on a daily basis in my group. People misuse the word "spoiler" and what it really should encompass and preserve.
Usually I always ask all those people who complain about KH III being fully spoiled by trailers to please answer me about some questions, such as Aqua's fate, who are the 13 Norts and so on. Y'know, since it's apparently all so clear and spoiled.

We've come to the point where if you casually mention a nondescript line from a nondescript character without any context of a recent movie people will be mad at you for making such a spoiler.
Even if the line was "You are a bad person". People are so eager to put the "spoiler" label over anything that they'll completelyh ignore the content and common sense.
As long as it's "spoiler", it's bad and worth making a fuss over.

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Pretty much.
I have to fight this battle pretty much on a daily basis in my group. People misuse the word "spoiler" and what it really should encompass and preserve.
Usually I always ask all those people who complain about KH III being fully spoiled by trailers to please answer me about some questions, such as Aqua's fate, who are the 13 Norts and so on. Y'know, since it's apparently all so clear and spoiled.

We've come to the point where if you casually mention a nondescript line from a nondescript character without any context of a recent movie people will be mad at you for making such a spoiler.
Even if the line was "You are a bad person". People are so eager to put the "spoiler" label over anything that they'll completelyh ignore the content and common sense.
As long as it's "spoiler", it's bad and worth making a fuss over.

I agree but to be fair, "spoiler" is much easier to say than "revealed detail in the trailer that might have been a more exciting revelation in context" and everyone knows what people mean when they say the former, so I don't really see the harm

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I agree but to be fair, "spoiler" is much easier to say than "revealed detail in the trailer that might have been a more exciting revelation in context" and everyone knows what people mean when they say the former, so I don't really see the harm

As it often happens with the mishandling of terms, the fault is not in the word itself but rather in people who misuse it. It's not that we shouldn't say spoiler, some individuals should make the effort to understand when it's okay and realistic to complain about a certain revelation, or when some "innocent" spoilers are made in order to spark interest and raise awareness.

I swear some fans think Square should just be silent and quietly release KH III in a moonless night just because they are already invested. Not realizing the idea is to sell the game to as many people as possible, old and new.
And you need to provide some incentives for that to happen.

the red monster

Awards
I don't think we saw much at all tbh, they show stuff for like 1-2 sceonds, we don't really know what is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back