• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Toy Story 4 (2017) - Not a continuation of TS3, standalone

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Re: Toy Story 4 (2017)

Reluctantly optimistic. 3 was the perfect way to end it (with Andy at least), but I've yet to be disapointed by a Toy Story, so I'll wait it out.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
Re: Toy Story 4(2017)

Toy Story 3 ended perfectly. I was happy with shorts. There was zero need to continue things.

A "love story". Woody better not be finding love.

You know it is, I dont know why they got rid of bo peep its not like she added or took away from the story

Anyway cant wait for toys in space

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards

Can anyone say milked?

I'm a bit on the fence with this one, like everybody else has already said I thought that it ended perfectly with the third film. I'll probably do the same as I did with the third film and watch it when it comes on tv, I don't think it's going to be worth watching in a cinema.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUgh

What the hell were they thinking. Enough with the sequels. Enough with the sequels for films that don't need them. The ONLY Pixar film that needs a sequel is the Incredibles. That's it. Toy Story was a complete trilogy and you're just taking away from it by making another film. Just make something new. Limit the sequel milking to Cars and Planes and whatever else vehicle is talking now. Leave everything else the way it is.

And once again, this video from a year ago becomes relevant again.

[video=youtube;8ib27FH0yRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ib27FH0yRk&list=UUxR-Od6xcD_CUCzCvK9ZxIA[/video]

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

We need a Bug's Life sequel. That's my favorite Pixar Movie.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
A standalone with a new cast of toys? I can get behind that. Much better than the alternative of the original cast returning

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Yes, leave Andy's toys alone. <3 I'm all for shorts of Woody and company, but the ending for TS3 was so perfect that I'm glad they listened to us telling them to leave it alone.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
If they plan on doing a standalone story why don't they just call it something else?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
If they plan on doing a standalone story why don't they just call it something else?
I imagine they want to cash in on the name but don't want to alienate the people who watched the first three and are satisfied with the trilogy. Though, they should name it something else.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Wouldn't even be a bad thing if they did continued where the third one left off. The movie can go to a full circle if its possible. Just don't make it sentimental...:(

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Thank glob. Someone on that team had good sense.
Actually, Anagram, it's not that someone on the team had good sense. This no doubt has been in the planning stages for a long time and this would have been decided way before they announced it. The LA Times even said this idea was concieved two years ago;

Over the last two years Lasseter and Stanton wrote a treatment and pulled in other writers, including Rashida Jones and Will McCormack after seeing their 2012 comedy "Celeste and Jesse Forever," about a divorcing couple who try to remain friends.

In fact, Lasseter's original report in no way mentioned this would only be about Woody and Buzz, it only seemed that way since it was just an announcement with very minimal information;

“We love these characters so much; they are like family to us,” said Lasseter. “We don’t want to do anything with them unless it lives up to or surpasses what’s gone before. Toy Story 3 ended Woody and Buzz’s story with Andy so perfectly that for a long time, we never even talked about doing another Toy Story movie. But when Andrew, Pete, Lee and I came up with this new idea, I just could not stop thinking about it. It was so exciting to me, I knew we had to make this movie—and I wanted to direct it myself.”

Today's report revealed;
Lasseter told The Times that "Toy Story 4" will be a love story and will pick up where "Toy Story 3" left off, when Woody, Buzz Lightyear and the rest of the series' toy chest of characters were handed down to a little girl named Bonnie.
Where it's implied that the only relevance it has to Toy Story 3 is that it takes place soon after that film in the timeline.

We'll see how things go, if Buzz and Woody have a big part or if it's a brand new set of toys for a new audience, but I have, and have had since the original announcement, faith that this project will be of excellent standard. I don't view sequels as a bad thing, even if they end "perfectly". It's like what Lasseter said;

"A lot of people in the industry view us doing sequels as being for the business of it, but for us it's pure passion," said Lasseter, who directed the first two "Toy Story" films. "We only make sequels when we have a story that's as good as or better than the original.

"We don't just, because of the success of a film, automatically say we're going to do a sequel and then figure out what we're going to do."

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Wait, so there is still a chance it could feature the original toys? Ugh, my hype just went down again. I don't care if the writers have a good idea for the fourth film. Another film with the main toys would RUIN the beautiful ending in Toy Story 3

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Wait, so there is still a chance it could feature the original toys? Ugh, my hype just went down again. I don't care if the writers have a good idea for the fourth film. Another film with the main toys would RUIN the beautiful ending in Toy Story 3
There's literally no fucking reason for this to ruin the "beautiful ending" in Toy Story 3, especially since we've have two TV specials and a few shorts set after that ending (and did those ruin the "beautiful ending"? No, they did not.)

There's a chance, small or big, that the original Toys could be included in the film. We don't know all the details about this.
We do know that;
[Toy Story 4 will] only have tertiary ties to the original trilogy starring Buzz Lightyear and Woody.

We know it will pick up after Toy Story 3's ending (that's basically just saying that this film will be in present day). It could have no ties to Buzz and Woody, it could be a love story between one of Bonnie's toys and another toy somewhere which means they would be in the film. We don't know. Don't inflate or deflate your hype because of some very limited information. Just have no expectations until we know a lot more about the film, and we have gotten a trailer or two.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Well, the shorts seem to do fine for not ruining anything. They were only saying that they the two stories will connect but in a very loose manner. I don't think there is enough info to lose faith over this film again.

But we do know it is a standalone without the original toys as the main cast, so we'll see how things go from here.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
IMG_3525.jpg

Boom

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I keep on saying this. Toy Story 3 felt like a closure for everyone. What if though, it kind of repeated itself with another trilogy and having Andy returning as a father and Bonnie passing on her toys (formerly Andy's too) to Andy's kid. Have things go 360. Sometimes when you come back to see the things that opened up your imagination and your memories as an adult. It's truly another special feeling.

Back