• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

ToyBox and the Power of Waking?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AnotherXehanort13

Hi im new to this forum, big fan, yada yada, okay Now As You Know™ a large amount of time in KH3 is spent going through various worlds trying to discover the power of waking. The conclusion to this was a bit lackluster (Sora you knew in your heart all along), but there is oddly enough a particular world where the Power of Waking would make sense as a plot point or something Sora learns there: Toy Box.

Xehanort describes the power of Waking as "Traversing Hearts to reach Worlds" and that it is abused when you use it for "Traversing Worlds to reach Hearts", something that probably lead to the "fading" of Sora and the Master of Masters.

Now the whole plot of Toybox is an anomaly in KH3, and not like in the case of Arendelle where it feels like the story was hastily hacked up to accomodate for Disney censorship, or the suspicious Versus XIII & Verum Rex teaser stuff. It is an anomaly because the plot isn't concluded! Woody, Buzz, Rex, Ham, the 3 aliens and 6 soldiers (13 of them, lmao Nomura) are separated from the other toys and Andy when Yung Xeha mysteriously split the world in twain, in a new world where they aren't just toys. Despite distrusting them initially, with time the toys team up with SDG and work together for a way to re-unite them with Andy. But they never re-unite with Andy!

Woody verbally annihilates poor Yung Xehanort who runs away to some lonely Corridor of Darkness to cry in a corner, the toys admit that they never found away to re-unite with Andy and that they don't mind waiting a little longer to find their way home because he is always a part of their hearts. Now wouldn't the reasonable solution to this problem be the power to Traverse Hearts to reach Worlds? Using the Power of Waking, couldn't Sora bring the Toys back to their original world with the connection they have in their hearts to Andy? It feels like these plot points were made to go together like Butter Bread and Green cheese!

This smells to me like three different possibilities: 1. A missed opportunity, 2. A cut plotline, or 3. DLC.

Remember that Nomura was very stubborn about the fact that he wouldn't work on KH3 if he couldn't have Toy Story in the game. Now this might just be due to a canonical reason to tease VERUM REX aka Not-Versus XIII, or just because he really likes Toy Story. But it could also lead into the future of the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

At the end of KH3 Sora fades away in front of Kairi on the Destiny Islands due to abusing the Power of Waking, then wakes up in ""Shibuya"" in Yozora's world of VERUM REX, alongside Riku and the Master of Masters. Now we are not told the length of time between this scene and Sora's "search for Kairi". Obviously he gets Kairi back only to fade before everyone's eyes and we can presume that Riku also "fades" as well to go after him, and that the Afterlife he wakes up in is the world of Verum Rex. Now this isn't that bizarre out-of-game as we know Nomura loved Versus XIII as his baby and him wanting to revive some of the soul it was meant to have in another project is unsurprising, but in-game it is really really really bizarre. Why is a video game in Toy Story the setting for the Afterlife of Kingdom Hearts?

Remember that Nomura is really eccentric in what plot points he focuses on explaining, or fixing plotholes retroactively in weird ways - 0.2 went to the trouble of an entire cutscene just to have a canon reason for why Mickey was shirtless in KH1 (LOL) and Goofy said he always knew Yen Sid muttered "May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key" (a phrase that didn't exist until 2.8) because he has BIG EARS and can hear really well. I think something similar will happen with ToyBox and the Power of Waking with Riku, and THIS is the reason why Riku ends up in the Afterlife WITH Yozora. Something goes down in ToyBox and Riku uses the power of Waking to re-unite the toys with Andy, in doing so he also comes across actual characters from Verum Rex and ends up fading into the Afterlife (with them).

This is all just pure speculation and anything could really happen but I still feel very strongly that a return to ToyBox has an actual plot reason to be part of DLC for KH3.

AnotherXehanort13

they do in the credits.
Yeeeeeouch I didn't notice that! Well there's most of that theory down the loo. Still, is it shown how they get back to the previous world? It could just be Xehanort's demise. Aww, that's a shame, I thought i was onto something, still some good points in there I think though, like Nomuras explanations for things like Verum in the ToyBox world and Riku needing something to use the power of waking on.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yeeeeeouch I didn't notice that! Well there's most of that theory down the loo. Still, is it shown how they get back to the previous world? It could just be Xehanort's demise. Aww, that's a shame, I thought i was onto something
That seems like the reasonable answer. Once Young Xehanort returned to the past Toy Box should have returned back to normal.

Back