• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHUX ► Union X Heartless Design Appreciation Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AquaDeoxys

Awards
I've been meaning to make this topic for a while now, but with Union X shutting down soon now seemed like the perfect time for a retrospective. Union X has a lot of flaws , but I think there is one area the game really excels at: the Heartless designs. I've always thought the Heartless are a well-designed group of monsters in general. They're both cute and a little creepy, are themed after the worlds they appear in, and just have a lot of personality. But Union X takes that to a whole new level. I think the Heartless designs in this game are some in the best in the series: they're creative, varied, and mesh really well with Union X's simple artstyle. I also like how they handle variations: instead of just being straight-up pallet swaps like in the Final Mix games, new design elements or concepts are introduced while keeping the Heartless' overall style and body shape. A few of my favorites include:

Werewolf

Werewolf_KHUX.png

Shiva

Shiva_KHUX.png

and Soda Specter

Soda_Specter_KHUX.png

This is one of the biggest reasons I'm excited for a hypothetical Union X remake. I want the chance to battle these funky dudes with Kingdom Hearts' traditional fast-paced gameplay instead of Union X's gacha medal system. I think they could translate very well into 3D with actual movesets and make for some great setpieces.

What do you think? Which are your favorite Heartless introduced in Union X? Which ones would you like to battle most in a full 3D remake? I'm interested to know!

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I agree the creative heartless designs are probably Union X's strongest aspect. Not sure all the designs would translate well to 3D though.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
My favourite Heartless from Union X is the Darklings and I really hope we get a Union X remake because I bet the darklings will look awesome in 3D

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I haven't played UX, but I do love the Heartless in that game. So many of them look incredible, it's hard to narrow it down to just a few favorites... That Shiva is definitely one of them!

I love all the little wixen:
1618058996507.png1618059012414.png1618059044283.png1618059093618.png1618059298531.png
Then the whole concept of sweet heartless. Again, the ice cream Shiva is brilliant, the Mighty Macaron is great, but this one's the cutest:
1618059286876.png
The "Sweets Squad"!
And the Cranky Cake is just incredible:
1618059355082.png
And then, there are my favorite: the Wibble Wobble and the Heartless Tsums:
1618059433527.png1618059577528.png

I love how unapologetically over-the-top and cute and funny the Heartless Tsums and the Cranky Cake are, and what an awesome chaotic fight they seem to promise.

Back