• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Unpopular Anime Opinions!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
I watched Noragami in one go (in like two days? or was it one??) and I honestly couldn't tell when season 1 ended and season 2 started. I didn't know there were two seasons to begin with, everything felt pretty chill and continuous to me, so when I googled it again and found out I actually watched two seasons, I was like "???where??? what?? are you serious?". This being said, I felt Hiyori was pretty much... unnecessary. I get it, there's the romantic line, we just need that trick in anime right, but she still felt like an unnecessary MC in a visual novel to me.

I haven't watched Seven Deadly Sins but I will, but until then, I still can't help but think Meliodas is a cheap copy of Oz Vessalius (Pandora Hearts)
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Meliodas even has the potential to be my fav character from that show from what I know so far but as a faithful and completely infatuated fan of Pandora Hearts from first to last chapter I am pissed .

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Hahaha wow, I haven't seen either of those but is his personality also the same?

I'll later confirm if they also have similar personality, but as of now there's this thing about Oz having a very important/strong bond to a female character which is connected to another important female character to the point of almost being the same as her in a way aaaaand the fact that they are waaay older than they look and there's this thing abou------........... nah, I will simply watch Seven Deadly Sins and then I'll throw my comparison in here xD I doubt they'll have the "same" personality though, their respective contexts are complex enough to avoid further similarities, so only by watching it I'll be able to view it fairly. I heard it's a good show and one of my friends really enjoyed it, she was drooling over Ban for weeks

SoulXaldin

Awards
When it came to decided whether to watch the original FMA and Brotherhood, I chose the original. And now I'm 34 episodes in. So far, I don't understand why people are giving it flack. I think that the original story works fine so far but that might be subject to change.

Please don't hate me for this :frown:.

Veevee

Awards
When it came to decided whether to watch the original FMA and Brotherhood, I chose the original. And now I'm 34 episodes in. So far, I don't understand why people are giving it flack. I think that the original story works fine so far but that might be subject to change.

Please don't hate me for this :frown:.

What people complain about is the rest of the show (especially the ending) and the movie that comes after which pretty much throws a lot of what the show puts emphasis on directly into the trash. And the ending of the anime feels kinda ... weird, for example their explanation how alchemy works that is kinda tied into the movie but does neither make sense in the series nor in the movie. Nonetheless, I like the original anime as well because it does a good job at characterisation, the pacing is a bit slower, but also nice and I considered it pretty enjoyable (and it was quite funny). The movie on the other hand ... well, see for yourself.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I was just so thrown off by the stereotypical throw-in (or rather continuation) of (pre-)nazi germany that I didn't give the movie that much of a chance in all honesty. There was Envy though, of which I always approve.

fantasy08

Ohhhh,my kind of thread. This gonna be lonnnnnnng.:wink:

-The Ancient Magus Bride takes slice of life to the extremes. I felt like nothing was happening in this show, and the fantasy element is laughably piss poor. It's very boring, and I won't be watching a season two. Also while I don't dislike Elias and Chise as characters their relationship is poorly executed and feels like bestiality. Plus after a couple of dafuq stunts pulled by Elias it's abusive as well. Run, Chise, Run.

-Violet Evergarden- has beautiful animation,but it was a struggle to get through plot and character wise. It's also very melodramatic.

-My Hero Academia- the struggle was real.I had to force myself to get through both seasons,and the ugly character designs weren't helping its case either. It's like some bad parody of the superhero genre. I just can't take this show seriously because of the artstyle. Plus the premise itself is something I'm generally not interested in. I'm bored,and the designs are repellent. The manga readers kept saying season three would be better, and while it was to an extent I'm still not sold. I think this is it for me.

-The ghouls are super powered serial killers, and therefore I don't care what happens to them.

-Your Name had some nice animation, and I didn't dislike the leads, but the romance was completely underdeveloped. Plus the anime as a whole was boring and nonsensical. I feel crazy ever time I see the scores on the net for it.

-At no point did I dislike Apocrypha's Shirou.
Spoiler Spoiler Show
This show had a serious case of protagonist centered morality. Basically the antagonist is wrong because the protagonist says he is.

-Yuri on Ice deserved every award it got. Whether it was given fandomwise or professionally. The one exception was anything for its animation. How
Spoiler Spoiler Show
looked on the bluray is how the entire show should have looked in the first place.

-Your Lie in April is boring. It also wasn't sad in the slightest.Its cast and romance are undeveloped,and it has an ugly soundtrack.I forced myself to watch episode 12, quit, and then spoiled the rest online.

-I love dubs, and yes that includes the 4kids ones I watched during my childhood.

-Suzaku(Code Geass)-I like him and Lelouch just fine, and honestly consider him the hero protagonist to Lelouch's villain protagonist.

-I like Kikyo and Kagome.

-Tsundere is an archtype I want to see die. I'm tired of writers thinking these violent assholes are appealing.

-I've disliked every Miyazaki movie I've seen. Howl is the sole exception to this. Those movies are Kiki, Spirited Away,Princess, and Castle in the Sky. The last of which I couldn't even finish. I dislike his character designs and overall animation style, and find the execution of his stories inane. Howl wasn't spared this either, but I liked him and Sophie enough to overlook everything else.

-Attack on Titan heavily needs more slice of life scenes. This series just doesn't give the characters enough time to breath.Not everything needs to be blood, death, and tragedy every second. Where's my downtime? Where's my affection? All that tragedy can still happen, but it doesn't have to come at the expense of more quieter or affectionate character moments. They can coexist.

-I'm not going to die on a hill defending them,but I didn't mind Shiro Emiya or Seig. Yes, I said that.

-I don't remember, or like, japanese names for characters. I prefer English. I like names that are unusual,but still western sounding. I can remember a Lelouch, Kallen,Victor,Eren, Armin,but a Shirou,Haruhi,Yamato,Shirayuki or Makato I'm going to have a hard time recalling.

-Annie Leonhardt(Aot)- I find her to be a sadist and asocial,and I say this as someone who has spoiled herself up where the source material is at now. I don't care about her character, neither does the author it seems,and that suits me just fine.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

-Ouran High School Host Club was delightfully funny with a great cast. Where is my second season?! :( Also I dislike that Funimation kept the honorifics, and it was a cheesy distraction every time they were uttered.

-I don't care about manga. Anime is the better medium.

-I don’t like Levi.

-I found Zero the most tiresome out of the three with the only character making an expression on me being Gilgamesh.
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Also Iskander annoyed the hell out of me. Unlimited blade works had the best animation and magical scenes while Apocrypha had the best of actually showing how powerful the servants could get as well
Spoiler Spoiler Show
It's also the only one that actually felt like a war. However,I find all three Fate's to be puffed up with their own self importance(my god the speeches) and boring.

-A third season of Code Geass is obviously based on monetary greed,and it destroys a wonderfully bittersweet ending. I will never watch it. It doesn't exist to me.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

-Sexual fanservice is annoying and unnecessary, and this is especially true for anime with a serious tone. I wish all anime in general would take a godsize page out of Attack on Titan's playbook.The lack of sexual fanservice in it made me want to back-flip to the moon. It proved you don't need unnecessary and unrealistic tantalization to be popular.

-Though I did appreciate the chess match between Light and L the show was boring.

-Big eyes and non human hair colors bother me. I prefer realism.

-Time Travel is the ultimate deus ex machina. It takes tension, consequence, and logic out of a story and I absolutely hate it.

-Lolicon’s and Shota’s get the f**** out of my anime please. :(

-There's was nothing wrong with the CGI Colossal Titan. I honestly think I might slightly prefer it.

-I was fine with Ajin's and Sidonia's CGI. I don't want that style to become the norm,but neither were unwatchable because of it.

-I appreciated that Madoka Magica was trying to be a deconstruction of the magical girl genre, but the execution was boring and piss poor. Plus the animation and character design were horrid. Also Rebellion's ending was fine.

-The Irregular at Magic HighSchool was boring as hell with a extreme gary/godmode stu for a main character. If this show is popular consider me dumbfounded.

-AOT Junior High was adorable and amusing.The reimagining of the theme song was cute and whimsical.

-Bleach was more focused on plot and action than character. This is not a good thing.

-Clannad- Throughout the years I have tried to watch this show, but I cannot, cannot get through the first episode. It can cure insomnia.

-I prefer 2003’s FMA. I thought it, and the movie, were overall darker. I couldn't even finish brotherhood. Although both had way to much comedy for something that screamed be serious. They both also had atrocious character designs.

-Makoto Tachibana(Free)-has a personality that can cause diabetes.This is not a bad thing.

-Two people, of the the same gender, breathing in the same direction does not make them gay. Hear that Tumblr. Also showing platonic affection toward your best friend doesn't mean sex is on the horizon either tumblr.

-Shu- probably the only character I actually liked in Guilty Crown(okay I liked Guy to),and yes that includes his 'King' phase.

-I prefer AOT Season Two because it was a bit more character focused. Note:I haven't watched season three yet so this opinion can change.
-
People will do severe mental gymnastics about anime characters being actually japanese instead of white, and there's sadly a word that perfectly describes why that is.

-A male character who cries, gets scared, or shows affection is not anything but a human being, and we need more characters like him.

-Shipping in general makes me roll my eyes so much that by this point they probably could pop out of their sockets and walk around.The majority of the time pairings lack romantic buildup vie dialogue and character moments. It’s mostly just let me throw you two together because your different genders and attractive. If I'm captain of any ship it’s the U.S.S. Canon. There's payoff there. I don't understand shipping nothing.

-Anime superman and wonder women’s are usually boring to watch and unrelatable.

-Slaine(Aldnoah Zero)- is the only reason I could stomach season one, and if I ever watch season two he would be the only reason I do so.

-The sub vs dub debate is ridiculous,and I have my own suspicions on the real reason it exists.

-I have the same issue with bringing back the dead that I do with time travel. Don't do it.

-I'm tired of teens and high school settings. Where are my adults, and if a school must show its ugly head then do college.

-The girly run, the prayer hands, and the hand to the heart are all triggering to me. :(

-I strongly prefer binge watching, and can probably count on one hand all the shows I've watched while airing. This is also why I don't mind Netflix getting into the anime sphere.

-Inori(Guilty Crown)- is a terribly written and annoying character.

-I thought the ending of Black Butler was tragically perfect. Season two was fine to. I don't see how the manga can top either one.

-I watched the anime Godzilla trilogy on Netflix. This trilogy is my only dive into Godzilla lore. I ultimately found all three movies to be a severe case of good ideas but poor execution.

However, I absolutely loved Metphies.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

SoulXaldin

Awards
-People stating subs are better because it’s more emotionally engaging. As if people are able to understand such depth from a language they don’t understand, so these VAs could be phoning it in just as much as Dub VAs.

-I prefer to watch Dubs cause I don’t like to read my anime at times. If I’m engaged enough, the subs kinda meld in.

-Devilman Crybaby is an amazing show. One of the best anime I’ve seen.

-Sports anime are overrated

-At times, I prefer to read the manga over an anime adaptation. It’s not that I’m pretentious or anything, it’s just watching anime can get boring sometimes.

-With that being said, I much rather prefer to read manga adaptations of anime. Too bad that almost none of them ever fucking get finished.

-I’ve only watched the 2003 adaptation of FMA. Good stuff.

-I read Dragon Ball Super. Yes, read. And I watched Broly.

-Battle Tendency is overrated. JoJo didn’t get good till Part 3.

-I saw Alita Battle Angel today. It was okay.

Perkilator

Awards
-Stardust Crusaders is the beginning of JJBA as a franchise, as far as I’m concerned. Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are too prequel-like to make me believe that Stardust Crusaders was created after.

-Speaking of which, there should’ve been an episode of Stardust Crusaders (doesn’t have to be canon) where Joseph turns into his Battle Tendency self.

-Pretty Cure should’ve been localized by Disney XD.

-This isn’t entirely anime-related, but how and why on God’s green Earth is Light Yagami not playable in Jump Force just because he “isn’t a fighter”?

-Yusei from Yugioh 5D’s should be in a Shōnen Jump crossover game one day.

All from me.

Veevee

Awards
I completely agree with that "Tsundere archetype should die" statement. Honestly, they are the worst. They are aggressive, violent and feel like they are always right and everyone else feels like they should just adapt to that character instead of punching them into the face. I liked the other characters on Toradora just fine, but Taiga's omnipresence is really hard to bear.

Your name was nice, but way too long and that permanent "oh, I remember - no, I don't" at the end was confusing and annoying.

I love Slice of Life, but Violet Evergarden feels constructed and boring. I watched half of the season and really felt dulled.

Nana cannot get enough praise, ever.

As a German, I hate people constantly shitting on ALL German Dubs. I know full well there are a few really awful ones, as there are some really great ones that I vastly prefer over the original. I've actually read people say "oh, no, Mikasa shouldn't sound surprised here, she should sound more shocked" - actually, she shounded a bit like both, what's even the problem. Saying "all Dub is shit and only Japanese is the right thing" is just childish. Actually, I often prefer Dub before Sub because many japanese characters get these super-annoying high-pitched or simply dumb voices in Japanese, like Ruffy, Goku or a lot of female characters. I just can't stand high-pitched voices in general, so Japanese voice acting sometimes really gets on my nerves.

I'm a little tired of Shonen because they hardly feature women. I love a mixed group and vastly prefer it over a boys only club and I really love some cool or in some kind badass girls. I kinda hate that women in Shonen are either vastly underrepresented, useless or only serve as a damsel in distress now and then. It's not like it's any less shonen if you actually include good female characters.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
-Battle Tendency is overrated. JoJo didn’t get good till Part 3.
-Stardust Crusaders is the beginning of JJBA as a franchise, as far as I’m concerned. Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency are too prequel-like to make me believe that Stardust Crusaders was created after.

OMG. I can not believe I am seeing such blasphemy.

I'm completely the opposite. I loved part 1 and 2 and was disappointed with part 3. While there was still much to love in part 3, I just couldn't stand the move toward the very segmented monster-of-the-week format. It just feels unnatural and very cliche/predictable. The first two seasons felt freer and I loved them for that.

I also preferred the straight-forward action in the first two parts as opposed to the stands of every JJBA past that. That's probably blasphemy as I know that's what JJBA is famous for.

Askelon

- I cannot go pass the first episode of Your lie in april even though everybody told me it is a masterpiece. At the first 5 minutes i've already hate the character design.

-The anime of My Hero Academia is better than the manga.

-All Berserkers in the Fate series deserve the Holy Grail.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Laurel

Awards
-I thought the ending of Black Butler was tragically perfect. Season two was fine to. I don't see how the manga can top either one.

I loved the ending, it was a perfect conclusion until season 2 ruined it. Who knows how the manga's going to end, it's really been dragging thanks to the extremely short chapters coming out once a month, but putting that aside the plot has been a mess after a certain twist had been revealed. I think a large chunk of the fandom left because of it. A fourm that I go to to discuss BB is now a ghost town, it's pretty sad.

As for unpopular opinions...I like FMA 03' and Brotherhood equally, I can't choose which one is better. They both have their highs and lows, but I will say that 03's ending and Shambala weren't that good (especially Shambala, that was disappointing) Though I think 03's music is better, especially when it came to atmosphere and emotion. Brotherhood's music is good, but it's not as memorable.

Code Geass is perfectly fine with just 2 seasons, it doesn't need a continuation, the conclusion to season two was good enough as it was.

I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but the Tsubasa Chronicles manga had a very disappointing and confusing ending. Even when I read several summaries of what happened, I'm still confused of what happened. Kingdom Hearts plot got nothing on this chaotic mess of a story.

Speaking of CLAMP (the creators of Tsubasa) I used to adore them, but thinking back on their works, they're not that great (aside from Card Captor Sakura, that one's cute) They design their characters weird (especially the men) with scrawny bodies and large hands and they either finish a story with a confusing or unsatisfying conclusion, or leave it on an annoying cliffhanger (looking at you X/1999).

I liked the live action Death Note movies that Japan made. I thought they were good, though L's spin off movie was pretty meh. All I remembered from that was the ending song which was pretty catchy. The Netflix version can disappear somewhere, but I think everyone's in agreement with that.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I can’t think of much because I'm not plugged in enough to know what’s popular or unpopular to say about most of the anime I watch.

As for unpopular opinions...I like FMA 03' and Brotherhood equally, I can't choose which one is better. They both have their highs and lows, but I will say that 03's ending and Shambala weren't that good (especially Shambala, that was disappointing) Though I think 03's music is better, especially when it came to atmosphere and emotion. Brotherhood's music is good, but it's not as memorable.
I like both FMA and FMA: Brotherhood, but prefer the latter if I had to choose.

I don’t care for Digimon Tamers even though it seems beloved. I like the dub for Digimon Adventure. Some are annoyed by all the jokes inserted in the dub, but it gave the show its own flavor, imo. That's still my favorite season. I know nostalgia is part of it, but I was letdown by Adventure 02 even though it aired when I was young, too.

I hate Sailor Venus. She’s the worst of the inner soldiers. I believe Mercury is popular which is where I agree with the majority, I guess; I don’t know how Saturn, my other favorite, or Uranus/Neptune/Chibiusa, all of whom I’ve always disliked, are regarded. Although I do love Mamoru, even though many in the SM fandom seem to think he's useless or bland. I love the Dead Moon Circus arc, too, even if S is my favorite; Helios makes Chibiusa almost likable and Nehelenia and the Amazon Trio are my favorite villains. The anime filler with the Doom Tree was/is actually one of my favorite parts of the show.

I love all the YuYu Hakusho characters, but strangely Kuwabara is probably my 2nd favorite after Yusuke. I think most prefer Hiei or Kurama.

Kind of a cheat with Avatar, but: I actually don't mind Aang and Katara together. I can understand why it just didn't feel believable for some; I can buy it because they're both uptight do-gooders. As far as my opinion of the characters: Toph is irritating, but I hate Sokka. Sometimes funny, mostly annoying. I don't prefer Korra to the original, but Korra is really good, too, and I've never disliked Korra (the character) as a protagonist.

Hunter x Hunter is boring. I waited and waited for it to get better (sometimes it takes a while to get past the premise before shows really soar), but it never did for me. I could never get into Neon Genesis Evangelion, One Piece (although I might give it another try in the future), or FLCL. Yu-Gi-Oh! is okay.

I've always liked Tenchi Muyo / Universe (hate Tenchi in Tokyo and that other one though).

I hate Miroku from Inuyasha. The pervert humor is only funny occasionally and I don't know how we're supposed to root for him to end up with Sango. Ew, she deserves better.

I prefer dubs in general. Sometimes I'll have the Japanese subtitles running at the bottom along with the dub to cite the difference, but I prefer to hear English...

I can't think of anything for others I've seen like Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Naruto, Bleach, Gundam Wing (except that I don't like Wufei maybe?), Cardcaptors, Soul Eater, Black Butler, Baccano!, Hetalia, FAKE, or My Hero Academia, even though I'm sure I probably do have unpopular opinions about some of them without knowing it. DBZ is exhausting. I like it well-enough, but I was never able to keep up with it and there are so many versions / offshoots now that I'm just lost. I believe I saw all of Dragon Ball, and then DBZ up until Vegeta is killed by Buu. That's around the point I lost track and don't know what happens after, although I've been watching Dragon Ball Super as it airs lately. I've always hated Buu, ugh--maybe that's just me?

SoulXaldin

Awards
I never actually watched the original DB series, and I didn’t watch the original DBZ anime in its entirety (I began watching it again when Kai came out, but that only got as far as the Cell Saga and I failed to pick it back when the Buu Saga aired on Toonami). And for most part, anyone can become familiar with the story if you’d played the games that continue to rehash said story a million times over.

Perkilator

Awards
Call me crazy, but we haven’t seen Guzma in the SM anime yet. Why? It’s currently 2019 and we haven’t seen him once.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
-OK, I admit I only watched like a couple of episodes of MHA & thus may not be in the best position to complain about it, but this really pissed me off & killed any intention to watch further. Izuku should've been like the Batman/Hawkeye of this show. Ok so we got a world that's basically Magneto's wet dream with mutants making up 80% of the population & yes I will continue to use western comic analogies, it helps get my point across. The remaining non-mutant humans are now the overwhelming minority & are looked down upon for being inferior to the mutants. Izuku in particular feels the full brunt of this discrimination especially since both of his parents are mutants & yet he's a muggle.

Now Mr. MC could've learn to rise above this, train his body to be stronger & his mind sharper. Overcome supervillains by strategy, ingenuity, & careful study of his foes. Over time he would gain the respect of the other heroes, who come to realize that even muggles can still contribute & do great things when given the chance. Izuku would then thus becomes an inspiring symbol to all the other muggles in the world.

But NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, instead Superman comes along & just gives his power to the kid so he'd stop being a crybaby. So now the muggle is actually stronger than ****ing everybody! This has got to be a speed record for the fastest a manga/anime has torpedoed it's premise due to power creep. Like what's even the moral anymore? "Hey kids, if you're ever inadequate in life, just keep hoping & maybe someday you too will get a handout from Superman!"

-I actually shipped Matt/Sora well before it became canon & yet grew to hate the ship afterwards because of how badly they bungled it. It was simply 1 of the laziest/ most half-assed examples of a canon pairing I've seen. Honestly, for much of Digimon season 2 my biggest issue was the disappointment in how little we see of the older kids & what going on in their lives so by the time the Christmas episode rolls around & Sora rejects Tai for Matt, my reaction was more along the lines of "What the heck have I been missing?"

But yeah, it was way worse than that in hindsight. Matt & Sora got together with little fanfare & about as much build-up. Season 2 for the remainder of it's run couldn't be bothered to do much of anything to justify the new relationship, showing the 2 together or proving why they're meant to be. The show straight up didn't care, it decreed a pairing as canon, demanded the audience get over it, & moved on to other topics.

Tri didn't help matters one bit & if anything exasperated the issue. It's clear that the Tri staff didn't want to touch the subject with a 10 foot pole if they could avoid it. But the lack of attention given to Matt/Sora just makes the alleged endgame all the more bewildering & impossible for the audience to get behind.

& hey yeah, what was up with Tai's rejection anyway? Like what was even the point of that? They could've just had Tai not be interested in Sora at all & save themselves a lot of grief. It seriously undermined Matt/Sora by making the viewers feel sorry for Tai getting friendzoned & thus finding themselves preferring that ship instead.

-If it wasn't obvious by the above rant, I do not agree with the "USS Canon" post above. Canon sometimes can be just plain wrong & the fandom would have a right to reject just like they have a right to reject any other form of bad writing.

-Ash should've been retired from the show after Johto if not sooner. The games change protagonists & do just fine, the Adventures manga change protagonists & do just fine. So why is the anime so damn scared of it? Ash is forever doomed to lose every league & go nowhere while always saying goodbye to every human & pokemon companion he meets over & over for no damn good reason. Doesn't help when he's basically as a different character gen after gen:

1-4=Idiot newbie in the 1st season who was showing signs of gradual growth for the show's duration.
BW=Never mind, now he's back to being an incompetent loser & his pikachu lost to a level 5 starter.
XYZ=Completely swings the other way & is easily the most competent he's ever been. Makes it further in a league tournament than he ever did before.
SuMo=So naturally that means he has to go back to Pokemon School & learn the bare basics of the job. Also he's a mega exaggerated goofball compared to before.

Meanwhile the show's ratings have been plummeting lower & lower & yet they still won't pull the trigger on the drastic changes it needs.

-Sonic X was BORING. I've watched it dubbed, subbed, & raw & it was always a dull show.

-Animes having different theme songs for the opening & ending & changing them every season is dumb. It robs a show of part of it's identity by not having a singular tune as it's defacto theme song.

-The original DB was way better than the overrated as hell DBZ. The former was a charming fun comedy adventure with a quirky take on martial arts. The later is screaming for 20 episode long battles, power levels & laser beams over & over.

Back