• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Veevee

Awards
- Reviewers should stop obsessing over whether a game is a lot like a similar game. I've once read a review of Yonder where the reviewer was basically comparing everything that indie game did to Zelda: Breath of the Wild and basically thrashed it in that process because it was inferior. Digimon games are frequently compared to Pokémon games but in such a bad way .. like "Digimon has less monsters, Pokémon has more, Pokémon is better". I think it's useful to say "it's similar to game x" to make it more clear how it works - when I describe grid-based battle systems, I also usually say "like in Fire Emblem", but don't take it too far and dismiss the game because it's not that other game you liked. For starters, not every critter-collecting game is a "Pokémon clone", it infuriates me so much to read statements like this. It should be about whether the game is good on its own regard.

- Gendered clothes shouldn't exist anymore in videogames. I get it that you would limit it to classes or characters - that nimble thief doesn't look like he could or should wear giant armor - but don't block my access to clothes I could wear. Fantasy Life for example gives you the idea of being everything you want and you can change your job whenever and become a master of all trades - but you can't wear pants as a female character, no, that goes too far. Petty things like that where you apply a real-world restrictions from society to a fantasy freedom world severely hurt my immersion because I really don't want to go adventuring in a miniskirt. Also, in some games women's clothes can be so lame, e.g. in KH Ux, I'd take Riku's cool leather jacket over Kairi's weird asymmetrical pink dress anytime. Just give me that.

- The reasons people bring up to defend Nintendo's price policy are way more ridiculous than the price policy itself.

Guernsey

Awards
I really wish that they didn't have to hide stuff behind a paywall. I don't buy micro transactions anyway but I still hate how in some games you have to buy some coins to unlock a certain thing.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
- The reasons people bring up to defend Nintendo's price policy are way more ridiculous than the price policy itself.
If you're referring to how their games take years to go down on prices, then it's just an argument of sales volume.

If you're referring to ports being more expensive on the Switch, then I can sorta understand that, even though as a Marketing professional I can tell you that "value" as a proposition is an aspect brands put on their prices. In the Switch's case: the value proposition is that of portability of home console games. So the "Nintendo Tax" is pretty much that.

Veevee

Awards
If you're referring to how their games take years to go down on prices, then it's just an argument of sales volume.

If you're referring to ports being more expensive on the Switch, then I can sorta understand that, even though as a Marketing professional I can tell you that "value" as a proposition is an aspect brands put on their prices. In the Switch's case: the value proposition is that of portability of home console games. So the "Nintendo Tax" is pretty much that.

I'm more talking about that people often claim that "Switch games are just that good and should just cost that much" which kinda implies that Playstation games are just not "that good" so they need to drop in price to hold their value which is just ... wrong. There are so many games on Playstation that are as fantastic or better than Switch games and claiming the price tag of a game determines how good that game is feels just dumb. I've played great games for 5 bucks and boring ones for 40 .. yeah, I mean I partly agree with Nintendo's policy on a business standpoint. If people pay that much for the game - constantly - why should they lower the price? It's reasonable. I just don't think it's reasonable that Nintendo fans often talk about being "so happy" to pay that much, I recently read some people even complaining about how you get too many games for free (on Steam, Playstation or Epic) .. if it devalues them for those people, they should just ... not get them then? It's that weird mentality of "oh, you gave me that for free, it must be shit" - well, no, it must be advertisment.

By the way, it's really interesting to hear your standpoint from a professional perspective. I've had one Marketing class in university and read two books about general Marketing, so I really admire how deep that field actually goes. Very cool.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I'm more talking about that people often claim that "Switch games are just that good and should just cost that much" which kinda implies that Playstation games are just not "that good" so they need to drop in price to hold their value which is just ... wrong. There are so many games on Playstation that are as fantastic or better than Switch games and claiming the price tag of a game determines how good that game is feels just dumb. I've played great games for 5 bucks and boring ones for 40 .. yeah, I mean I partly agree with Nintendo's policy on a business standpoint. If people pay that much for the game - constantly - why should they lower the price? It's reasonable. I just don't think it's reasonable that Nintendo fans often talk about being "so happy" to pay that much, I recently read some people even complaining about how you get too many games for free (on Steam, Playstation or Epic) .. if it devalues them for those people, they should just ... not get them then? It's that weird mentality of "oh, you gave me that for free, it must be shit" - well, no, it must be advertisment.

By the way, it's really interesting to hear your standpoint from a professional perspective. I've had one Marketing class in university and read two books about general Marketing, so I really admire how deep that field actually goes. Very cool.
You also have to take into consideration a more operational approach: people work to make these games. Programmers, managers and composers. Whatever allocation music has in a KINGDOM HEARTS copy's price, Yoko Shimomura is well worth that percentage, and more and her team.

Haha, you're welcome. As I've grown into my field, I try to share a professional aspect from Marketing and Digital Marketing. And yes, Marketing is deeper than what people think. I like to call Marketing "Capitalism's operational arm".

Blackrazor187

Awards
Website
www.rogueotakugamer.com
-5 Centermeters Per Second's story is really not that good and its more of a really good art gallery than it is a good film.
-A Silent Voice is just a generic slice of life romance story and Ueno is a total bitch
-The Final Fantasy 7 Remake is actually really good and its not really just Nomura's fault for how certain aspects of the story was just really stupid you also have to look at Nojima and Kitanse's involvement as well.
-I couldn't care less at all about the military fps genre or any shooters to be frank. Elemental Gearbolt is the only one that i really like.
-Square Enix was at its peak in the 90s but as time went by with the mainstreamification of games and focus on mobile stuff and milking certain titles as much as possible they went downhill from here.
-ATLUS in the 2000s and 90s was their peak but nowadays its all about p3-p5 and nothing else at all.
-Confidant missions in Persona are total trash.
-Kyoko Kirigiri should have been the playable mc not Makoto in Danganronpa and Byaka is nothing but insufferable.
-Fujoshis and normies should be gatekeeped at all times and casuals should be transitioned into the hardcore stage as soon as possible.
-Japanese games,anime and manga are the only entertainment that i really like everything else is just waste.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I enjoyed video games before I was involved in fandoms. Yes, I am aware of the irony of this comment.
I still do. I tend to judge games for what they're worth. Example: the Paper Mario games post TTYD.
• Super was a step in the right direction in terms of having a more serious and dark narrative
• Sticker Star is a good game, but not a good Paper Mario game
• Color Splash is better than SS, but not full Paper Mairo
• Origami King is on-par or better than TTYD.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
Not to sure if these are considered unpopular or not

My favourite mainline Pokémon games are Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald and I think Hoenn was a great region and I’m glad they got remakes. I also liked the concept of Pokémon contest and secret bases.

Pokemon Sun and Moon was a good game but Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were unnecessary other than a few bits of new content it was mostly the same game. I think it could of worked if they waited a few years and released it as a remake.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon last good entry was explorers of the sky every other Mystery Dungeon was just disappointing after that.

Pokemon Conquest was actually a good game. Also they need to make another Pokémon Colosseum game.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles was a lot of fun and the remake is fun too, also multiplayer in the remake isn’t that bad, honestly the only thing they messed up was the fact they tried to redo the opening “sounds of the wind“ in the remake, the original opening was fine they shouldn’t have tried to change it.

Although both are really good games I prefer Final Fantasy 9 over Final Fantasy 7. Also I think Zidane is a good protagonist and I wish he made an appearance in Kingdom Hearts.

I really like Re:Chain of memories and the the original for the GBA is actually quite challenging and honestly I didn’t expect to have as much fun as I’m having with the GBA version.

I didn’t hate Danganronpa V3 ending but I wasn’t the biggest fan of it either.

I like the Sonic Adventure series and I hope Chao Gardens returns.

I liked Sonic Riders for the GameCube and Sonic and the Black Knight for the Wii personally I think it’s better than Secret rings.

I actually like V gameplay in Devil May Cry 5.

I think the Persona Q games are fun.

Despite it being a bit different than the rest of the franchise I enjoyed Harvest Moon A Wonderful Life.

Rune factory is a good series especially the third game.

I personally don’t think there going to be another Luigi‘s mansion game that better than the first one, also I think the portrait ghost were a great concept for bosses.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Awards
I wish Meowth, Scizor and Mimikyu were playable in Smash instead of Jigglypuff, Pichu and Incineroar.
  • Meowth could be one of the original 12
  • Scizor could be one of the Melee veterans who came back for Ultimate
  • Mimikyu could be one of the base game newcomers for Ultimate

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Unpopular opinions huh?

Fandom is annoying, but not in the general way people think. I think... it might be super fans who in fact, ruin fandom. People who stake their entire identity on one franchise or piece of media. This might be good for companies, a super fan will buy anything and everything. But it's not for well, everyone else.

Console wars are dumb. While it's true, I'm mostly a PC/PS gamer, I have NO problem with XBOX or Nintendo consoles. We still have the original XBOX (that we boot up every 3 years to play 1 game for... some reason. We're weird like that). I bought a 3DS for one game. Now that gaming is even more multi platform than ever, I wish people would cut that console war shit out. It's dumb.

People shouldn't rush to buy new consoles. Take your time, buy it when you need it. Or wait for the kinks to work themselves out. This obsession with being first is odd. This is why scalpers are able to get so much money.

Even though I just recently upgraded my internet from 3mbs to 200mbs, I am strongly against digital gaming. I prefer physical media and always will. I don't like the idea of my digital games just disappearing if I say, lose my account. Get hacked. Or a company just decides to pull it off the store. I don't think gamers should be encouraging this trend towards all digital either. Even if you don't buy physical media anymore.

Neo_

Awards
I wish Meowth, Scizor and Mimikyu were playable in Smash instead of Jigglypuff, Pichu and Incineroar.
  • Meowth could be one of the original 12
  • Scizor could be one of the Melee veterans who came back for Ultimate
  • Mimikyu could be one of the base game newcomers for Ultimate
I mean, we all would have loved to have seen Scizor over Pichu, but it takes like 1% of the effort to clone Pikachu than to make a moveset from scratch.

Even though I just recently upgraded my internet from 3mbs to 200mbs, I am strongly against digital gaming. I prefer physical media and always will. I don't like the idea of my digital games just disappearing if I say, lose my account. Get hacked. Or a company just decides to pull it off the store. I don't think gamers should be encouraging this trend towards all digital either. Even if you don't buy physical media anymore.
Toward the very end of the PS4's life I went all digital. The only thing I miss really is having the physical games on my shelf, but it's honestly worth it to not have to switch the discs... it's so much more convenient than you'd think. There's also a weird thing where I feel like I'm more prone to play a game if it's sitting on my shelf. I also game-share with my brother so only one of us has to buy a game... so as you can see there's plenty of pros and cons. On Switch I'm all physical because it uses less memory; Playstation/Xbox there's no difference in memory between digital and physical.

What I also miss is playing games without updating or being connected to the internet, and the only method of multiplayer being irl.

Two digital-only games I missed were the Turtles in Time remake and Simpsons Arcade on 360... would love to play those today, and both were released a decade ago.

Last edited:

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Convenience isn't a priority for me though. It's why I also don't tend to like mobile gatcha games. I don't like the idea of spending my money on something isn't truly mine. I feel when you buy something digital, you are just renting from the company for as long as they exist or allow you to have it.

We can use PT as a really obscure example. Konami went full scorched earth on that demo. They took it off the store and now pretty much the only way to play it is if you have it on your PS4 and nothing ever happens to that PS4. An early PS5 reviewer was able to play PT on their PS5 using backwards compatibility, but as soon as Konami learned that was possible, they went scorched earth again and made sure no one can get their hands on their silly little demo cause they're still butthurt about Kojima.

Imagine if that had been a full fledged game and Konami made it as hard as possible for people who even purchased/downloaded it legitimately to play?

I wish games kept up with the practice that a lot of blurays are doing right now. If you buy a physical copy, sometimes they'll give you a digital copy for free. But we 'consumers' have allowed the gaming industry to pretend physical and digital games are entirely separate entities, therefore, you must pay for both.

Neo_

Awards
I don't like the idea of spending my money on something isn't truly mine. I feel when you buy something digital, you are just renting from the company for as long as they exist or allow you to have it.
That's an excellent point... can't argue with that.

Honestly, if I didn't game share with my brother I would still probably be physical. I guess the benefit is we both save money and with access to his library I have a ton more games.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
I don’t get what people found so great about Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout that made it so popular at the time. I’ve tried a few games of it back when it first came out, and I’ll admit it was fun for the first 2-3 matches but every game after that it just became annoying and very repetitive.

Guernsey

Awards
I actually enjoyed Crash 3, Spyro 3 and DKC3 despite their gimmicks.

Guernsey

Awards
It is more that they hated the gimmicks or so I have heard. I had no idea either.

Neo_

Awards
Man, I've actually recently played every game recently mentioned in here.

Banjo-Tooie is better than Banjo-Kazooie in nearly every aspect.
I recently 100%'d BK on XBLA (all Achievements as well) and it was pretty damn good... Mario 64 level? No. I would even say some games like Toy Story 2 are better than it, but it was rock solid. I never got far as a kid cause Grunty's Lair was confusing and intimidating as hell. I never would've beaten Furnace Fun as a kid. Literally going around with a (digital) notebook for Brentilda's answers was both lame but also cool in a retro context... it's all part of that Rare OCD thing, where pleasure is supposed to be derived from completion lol. The flaws of the game is it can sometimes feel chore-ish and be unobvious what to do, but otherwise it's good.

So naturally afterward I did give Tooie a try to at least redeem my Stop 'N Swop rewards (like the 360 gamerpic that no one will see nowadays), as well as to just try the game in general since I was desiring more and it was just... okay? Despite wanting more I wasn't really feeling it and this truly would've felt like a chore if I had to play it... this is a game that is sort of forgotten/not talked about that much? I feel like in an alternate universe it was a canceled game.

I don’t get what people found so great about Fall Guys Ultimate Knockout that made it so popular at the time. I’ve tried a few games of it back when it first came out, and I’ll admit it was fun for the first 2-3 matches but every game after that it just became annoying and very repetitive.
Fall Guys... I absolutely love this game and always have to remind myself it exists and set some time aside for it since there are so many great games coming out. I actually just won a match yesterday... when I'm playing this game and winning I think to myself "Hey, all those years of playing Mario 64 are finally paying off! 😁". Brilliant game; a truly great game I could play for hours and not get bored: an addiction fest that I have to force myself to stop playing.

When thinking of my all-time favorite games, Fall Guys is not a game that would come to mind, which is weird to me. There are games like that and Mario Maker 2 that I have the most fun in and could play for hours on end but they wouldn't actually make my list... I guess it's just cause we naturally opt for single player games or something with a bit more depth for that list.

I actually enjoyed Crash 3, Spyro 3 and DKC3 despite their gimmicks.
Spyro 3 is my favorite game in the trilogy; I believe it's the only one I had as a kid and the only one I beat/Platinumed in Reignited. I am giving equal opportunity to 1 & 2 but they are not hitting me in the same way, which is weird cause you would just think Spyro is Spryo and it's not that complicated. I guess now would be the right time for a Spyro 4 to hit... we'll see on that.

It's kind of funny because as an adult I'm going back to games that I didn't give equal opportunity to as a kid (the rest of the Spyro games, Wario World, Star Fox Adventures (both rentals), etc.) and am finding out I didn't really miss out on anything tbh.

I don't have a ton of thoughts on the Crash trilogy but can say Crash 4 is absolute hell and is making up for all the years of easy "mascot platformers" we've had... you can take that White Tanooki suit and shove it up your ass! There is no doubt in my mind Crash 4 was made by a bunch of masochists and sadists... it is that brutal. I guess it wouldn't be that bad if I simply tried to beat the game, but I at least try to respect the games I play and get all the crates I can, etc.

DKC3 is an interesting one as it came to Switch recently. I watched the Greek Critique video where he wasn't feeling it and I sort of feel the same way; the people who worked on the first two games had moved onto the N64 at the time which kinda explains it. I beat DKC1, spent some time with 2 but the least with 3.

Last edited:
Back