• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unpopular opinions!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

OneDandelion

Awards
Cue music titled "This really sad and tragic theme made for Xion to show how sad and tragic she is."
Why is this a point of contension? You guys are saying this like its the only song with a title that ever proclaimed itself to be sad lol... Also the version called "Musique pour la tristesse de Xion" was the piano version of Xion's theme and vector to the heavens, written and titled by someone else. And Japan is heavily influenced by French culture, hence the title being in French. So its fine you dont like Xion but why are you attacking her accompanied music track lol

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I didn't like Xion solely for the fact that she replaced and took away Roxas's role of self discovery and rebellion against Org13. If Days had followed up on his characterization and promised backstory from KH2 he might have become one of my favorite KH characters.

But not only was his potential completely erased, Days also made it it's mission to infantilize him as much as possible (I don't buy the excuse "he's only a year old" when Namine, Xion herself, and even Riku Replica existed for an even shorter time and had no where near the degree of infantilization inflicted upon them). The KH2 flashback scenes of Roxas leaving the org, splitting from Axel, and fight scenes with Riku betray the notion that he wasn't supposed to be gaining memories of Sora throughout his year of life (which works against the excuse "he acts like a baby because he didn't have any memories") which cultimated in his character's attitude and actions by the end of his teased journey. The scenes now look strikingly out of place, and tell of two distinct types of characters completely, because this arc and story was stolen from him and given to Xion.

Roxas's relationship to Axel (and Axel's character entirely honestly) was also robbed of potential and watered down as a consequence of being forced into a "trio of friends" with a mystery girl that was never indicated to exist before Days. What could have been the story of a jaded man learning what having a heart truly means after losing his years ago, by growing an unlikely friendship, the desperate attempts to maintain it by secrecy (hiding truths from his only friend to prevent him from defecting) and outright violence to regain it, was completely undermined. Axel just makes friends instantly with any lost puppy he comes across, never mind how the journey of his character from CoM to KH2 makes no sense now.

It also does not help at all that almost everytime Xion appears on screen the entire focus shifts to her at the expense of other characters, to remind us how tragic and sad she is. Cue the anguished screaming she tends to emit, melodramatic tears and manipulative music to reinforce it all.

100% agree with you.

Playing 358/2 Days was a drag for me. Not only did they waste Roxas' character so another addition that no one asked for could have some role (a role he could have done on top of that, I mean, he did it in the KH2 prologue) to justify her existing aside Nomura thinking the whole memory switching facet of Xion was cool after it was pinned by Kanemaki (not kidding, he actually mentioned it an interview), the game was busy telling me to feel bad and sorry for her instead of it making it more organic and subtle. Roxas and Naminé are good examples. I mean, goodness, Naminé spent her entire year stuck inside walls, abused by adults, and friendless, yet no big deal is made about that. Guess you need to add more zing, a glittery "death" or so.

There's so much I can take being shoved down my throat, and I ended up not giving a shit about Xion instead.

Her theme being named how it is just adds to that forced tragedy aspect. Like, we get it. Truly. I just still don't care.

Honestly, RAX is soap opera-ish. They're walking, talking drama just because they're the "sad" trio who couldn't hold it together due to not respecting each other's wishes and agency, and if it wasn't for Roxas being there, I would have skipped the whole Recusant sigil scene in the DLC. He has other connections besides them, I hope he's able to expand and break away now that he's returned.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Why is this a point of contension? You guys are saying this like its the only song with a title that ever proclaimed itself to be sad lol... Also the version called "Musique pour la tristesse de Xion" was the piano version of Xion's theme and vector to the heavens, written and titled by someone else. And Japan is heavily influenced by French culture, hence the title being in French. So its fine you dont like Xion but why are you attacking her accompanied music track lol

You're mistaken, all versions of this song are entitled "Musique pour la tristesse de Xion." Here's the KHBCD OST tracklist scan for a reference. She is the only character whose musical theme is anything other than simply their name.

Vector to the Heavens was composed by Shimomura. You can read her comments about it here. As she explains, she used the title of Xion's character theme for the piano arrangement because it better fit the overall impression of the song.

OneDandelion

Awards
You're mistaken, all versions of this song are entitled "Musique pour la tristesse de Xion." Here's the KHBCD OST tracklist scan for a reference. She is the only character whose musical theme is anything other than simply their name.

Vector to the Heavens was composed by Shimomura. You can read her comments about it here. As she explains, she used the title of Xion's character theme for the piano arrangement because it better fit the overall impression of the song.
So she did come up with the name and i was wrong, but its not really significant to my point. Its an artisitic decision to name it made by Shimomura. Modern classical compositions have been named in different languages and self proclaimed to be sad for 100+ years. The song isnt going to not be sad if the name is changed so i dont understand why youre attacking the name of her theme when Nomura wasnt even responsible for it

The piano theme "musique pour la tristesse de Xion" from field and battle was not written by Shimomura, but it does mix xions theme and vector to the heavens. So it could be after the piano album was released she retconned her original title to 'Xions theme' to avoid confusion between the 3 melodies. Regardless, the names of the tracks dont entirely matter to me.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
So she did come up with the name and i was wrong, but its not really significant to my point. Its an artisitic decision to name it made by Shimomura. Modern classical compositions have been named in different languages and self proclaimed to be sad for 100+ years. The song isnt going to not be sad if the name is changed so i dont understand why youre attacking the name of her theme when Nomura wasnt even responsible for it

The piano theme "musique pour la tristesse de Xion" from field and battle was not written by Shimomura, but it does mix xions theme and vector to the heavens. So it could be after the piano album was released she retconned her original title to 'Xions theme' to avoid confusion between the 3 melodies. Regardless, the names of the tracks dont entirely matter to me.

The real question is, why you're attacking us for criticizing it in a thread where people share opinions freely. If you don't agree with us and think we're being silly, then move on, your time could be better spent elsewhere.

palizinhas

Awards
Congratulations to Xion for still causing fandom debate 11 years in. That's how you know a character truly left their mark.

As for an actual unpopular opinion for me, Riku peaked in Chain of Memories. KH3 Riku in particular is cardboard, guy has no personality and the voice acting doesn't help.

OneDandelion

Awards
The real question is, why you're attacking us for criticizing it in a thread where people share opinions freely. If you don't agree with us and think we're being silly, then move on, your time could be better spent elsewhere.
If we can't comment on others "unpopular opinions" then whats the point of this thread..? If you don't have any other reason for attacking the character and the name of her theme song other than 'thats just how i feel' then yea i guess i'll move on.

disney233

Awards
Congratulations to Xion for still causing fandom debate 11 years in. That's how you know a character truly left their mark.

As for an actual unpopular opinion for me, Riku peaked in Chain of Memories. KH3 Riku in particular is cardboard, guy has no personality and the voice acting doesn't help.
I feel like most characters gotten into cardboard mode after their respective games. I mean...to me Terra's STILL a cardboard in my opinion.

SweetYetSalty

Awards

Lmao! We'll be up to Kingdom Hearts V in the year 3020 and this debate will still spark internet Keyblade Wars mwahaha!

For me Riku peaked in DDD. He did nothing of real value in KH3 and I prefer Riku Replica's role over his. And he sucks as a party member. I don't want Riku to go but I really hope they do something new with him that doesn't involve fighting Ansem or a evil version of himself or trying to find/wake up Sora. He's running in a hamster wheel. I do think there is good in keeping him around but I'd be lying if I said he impressed me in base KH3.

Noivern

Awards
I think the biggest issue most people tend to have with Days is that Roxas was an incredibly empty character in KH2. We get to meet this "fake" version of him in the prologue only to turn out that he was this angry kid with unresolved feelings and so unlike Sora, but they never actually GAVE US enough to build a character out of him. But he was still an attractive character with his dual wielding, beating Riku and being Sora's Nobody, so while not much was show of him at that point, the TRUE version of him, most people just build their own expectations for him.

So naturally, when they announced a game about this empty and yet very popular character with the promise of finally building up his personality and explaining his motivations, as well as explore the thirteen members of the organization, characters with barely any development or personality but with such attractive designs and fighting styles, it's only natural that a lot of people get a bias against a surprise character that was never hinted to exist before and ends up taking the spotlight.

I don't hate Xion. In fact, I have a soft spot for her, even though she's not one of my favorites. But she was badly written in an already bad game.

358/2 days is a vastly inferior game with bad graphics, bad gameplay, a terrible mission system and a monotonous story. It reutilizes content from the first two games abundantly for the second time at this point for a spin off, but unlike Chain of Memories it did not feature a beautiful art style that pushed it's console to the limits, nor introduce a new, darker plotline and a plethora of new characters.

It promised to teach more about the Organization, but I can barely remember anything about anyone other than the main trio and Saix, even Xemnas barely shows up. We had that scene with Xigbar and Xion in Wonderland that teased Ventus, but it was only impactful at the time because BBS hadn't come out yet.

It gave Roxas a personality and fleshed him out more beyond his angsty teenage anger, but it was all due to Xion's existance to the point where Roxas stopped feeling like his own character and instead became part of a bundle.

The game desesperately tries to create a new trio but it never really feels natural. While both Axel and Xion are attached to Roxas, I never truly felt that they became proper friends when the blonde was not around, and even then there were still some scenes that felt unconfortable to rewatch because it just didn't fit.

And then we have Xion. She had a lot of potential, what with her being a blank slate and the whole face thing. Had she been used in another way I feel like she could've been great. But a lot of the time it just feels what everyone else already mentioned: her existance isn't relevant beyond anything other than giving a reason for Roxas to go berserk, but when you exist solely to serve as character building for another character but ends up taking more time than stablished characters, and then ends up being erased with no real consequences (really, Axel cried in the Graveyard but other than that his entire character was just fine without remembering her. Again, why are they a trio again?). what is even the point?

My biggest sympathy to her character nowadays is that a chunk of the fandom on twitter and so on likes to see her as trans thanks to the whole face and Sora connection and I appreciate that a lot. But even then, that's a headcanon and is not enough reason to justify the mess that was that game.

I think the only actual good thing that came out of Days in the end was the manga who is much better written and features some really funny moments and interactions between the Org.

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Me coming back to this thread like:

Zki6LEk.gif

I sadly agree. It's also rather funny how fans will berate Kairi's character as she "just thinks about Sora a lot", when that's pretty much Riku.

After his redemption in CoM, nothing really replaced his jerkish side and he was just left with being the good guy who thinks about Sora a lot.

I think the biggest issue most people tend to have with Days is that Roxas was an incredibly empty character in KH2. We get to meet this "fake" version of him in the prologue only to turn out that he was this angry kid with unresolved feelings and so unlike Sora, but they never actually GAVE US enough to build a character out of him. But he was still an attractive character with his dual wielding, beating Riku and being Sora's Nobody, so while not much was show of him at that point, the TRUE version of him, most people just build their own expectations for him.

So naturally, when they announced a game about this empty and yet very popular character with the promise of finally building up his personality and explaining his motivations, as well as explore the thirteen members of the organization, characters with barely any development or personality but with such attractive designs and fighting styles, it's only natural that a lot of people get a bias against a surprise character that was never hinted to exist before and ends up taking the spotlight.

I don't hate Xion. In fact, I have a soft spot for her, even though she's not one of my favorites. But she was badly written in an already bad game.

358/2 days is a vastly inferior game with bad graphics, bad gameplay, a terrible mission system and a monotonous story. It reutilizes content from the first two games abundantly for the second time at this point for a spin off, but unlike Chain of Memories it did not feature a beautiful art style that pushed it's console to the limits, nor introduce a new, darker plotline and a plethora of new characters.

It promised to teach more about the Organization, but I can barely remember anything about anyone other than the main trio and Saix, even Xemnas barely shows up. We had that scene with Xigbar and Xion in Wonderland that teased Ventus, but it was only impactful at the time because BBS hadn't come out yet.

It gave Roxas a personality and fleshed him out more beyond his angsty teenage anger, but it was all due to Xion's existance to the point where Roxas stopped feeling like his own character and instead became part of a bundle.

The game desesperately tries to create a new trio but it never really feels natural. While both Axel and Xion are attached to Roxas, I never truly felt that they became proper friends when the blonde was not around, and even then there were still some scenes that felt unconfortable to rewatch because it just didn't fit.

And then we have Xion. She had a lot of potential, what with her being a blank slate and the whole face thing. Had she been used in another way I feel like she could've been great. But a lot of the time it just feels what everyone else already mentioned: her existance isn't relevant beyond anything other than giving a reason for Roxas to go berserk, but when you exist solely to serve as character building for another character but ends up taking more time than stablished characters, and then ends up being erased with no real consequences (really, Axel cried in the Graveyard but other than that his entire character was just fine without remembering her. Again, why are they a trio again?). what is even the point?

My biggest sympathy to her character nowadays is that a chunk of the fandom on twitter and so on likes to see her as trans thanks to the whole face and Sora connection and I appreciate that a lot. But even then, that's a headcanon and is not enough reason to justify the mess that was that game.

I think the only actual good thing that came out of Days in the end was the manga who is much better written and features some really funny moments and interactions between the Org.
All of this here. The thing is, there was good stuff in there. The C.O members' scenes with Roxas I found good (Vexen's was the best. lol) Same with pretty much any time Roxas has a chance to talk with other members who weren't Xion or Axel (the quality of Axel's scenes waffle so much.) I loved them expanding Xaldin and his role at Beast's Castle. Days should have been doing more of that with the other members. Much more of that.

Last edited:

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards

[CLAPS]

I could not vote this up enough, but you described the reason it left me stilted at the time back then (been here since KH2 released). The reason Days even existed was due to Roxas', Axel's, and Organization XIII's popularity. And didn't deliver. I did not buy the game for Xion. I also kind of wanted to play as Larxene though, so.

But you have to consider, how much is the "fake" version of Roxas when in KHIII, he's back to his KHII self. Memories intact. Think using "fake" is a bit misguided. In the prologue, he went through similar emotional beats, with way more agency and activity than he had in Days. He thought everything was real, until he realized it was all Data and everything vanished until he had nothing left. Not that there ever was anything. Him being emotionally volatile is justified I think, more so to who it was directed to.

Man, KHIII should have had him and Diz interact.

I'm also in the camp that Riku has turned dull. Nomura devoted so much time and development to him that he reached his peak and there's nowhere else for his character to go. He needs to be either benched, or that time should be catered to Kairi. Let her have her own arc for once. I feel Nomura favors him.

Not to say I don't appreciate Riku's development. He's not my favorite by any means, but he's the most developed character in this series. That at least earns him a semblance of my respect.

Last edited:

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I'm also in the camp that Riku has turned dull. Nomura devoted so much time and development to him that he reached his peak and there's nowhere else for his character to go. He needs to be either benched, or that time should be catered to Kairi. Let her have her own arc for once. I feel Nomura favors him.
He absolutely does, lol. As I recall, during the last character popularity poll (when he saw Riku wasn't placing as high as he wanted him to) he suggested that he would "give him more time to shine." Despite his arc already concluding with DDD, and KH3 doing little to nothing in terms of furthering that arc.

It's not surprising Nomura would default back to the duo of him and Sora for DDD-2, but I agree that time would've been better used in service of Kairi and her character.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
He absolutely does, lol. As I recall, during the last character popularity poll (when he saw Riku wasn't placing as high as he wanted him to) he suggested that he would "give him more time to shine." Despite his arc already concluding with DDD, and KH3 doing little to nothing in terms of furthering that arc.

It's not surprising Nomura would default back to the duo of him and Sora for DDD-2, but I agree that time would've been better used in service of Kairi and her character.

Yeah, I remember.

Nomura has issues letting things go, it's rather daunting.

If only he showed that easy appreciation, favoritism, and effort to the female characters without having the fanbase berate him for Kairi's treatment and have him take damage control. But alas.

OneDandelion

Awards
I feel like most characters gotten into cardboard mode after their respective games. I mean...to me Terra's STILL a cardboard in my opinion.
Real talk. I mean Terra was norted up until the ending of KH3 but still, real talk.

Guernsey

Awards
Suffice to say, Sora is more or less the "heart" of Kingdom Hearts if only because some plot points involve him in some capacity.

Noivern

Awards
Not really unpopular, but just something that is never talked about, I guess? Recently I've been growing fond of Terra thanks to another BBS replay + Re:Mind stuff, and it's so unfortunate how he's the most plain character in the entire series, with barely any writing to back him up.

Aqua is up there in the best written characters trio with Riku and Naminé, in my opinion. She has the charms, the looks and the development.

Ventus had always been the most interesting character of his trio due to his connection to Roxas which raises interest in him even before playing the game, and then he has the whole Light vs Darkness turmoil, the connection to Vanitas and now even UX.

And then theres Terra. Not only does he get the lowest amount of screentime out of all protagonists in the franchise, his side of the story is so badly written that it's almost pathetic, really.

Terra is supposed to be the strongest Keyblade Wielder out of all Guardians of Light. Although prideful and impulsive, he's pretty much the lapdog-kind that follows his master's orders religiously and is quite innocent, even more so than Ven sometimes, really.

But when it comes down to it, he's not the experienced Keyblade user he's supposed to be. In fact, he manages to be dumber than Sora, the one character who gets constantly roasted by Donald Duck (and outsmarted by Goofy!). He's not only guable, he's straight out used by not only Xehanort but almost ALL Disney Villains, and he.. doesn't even question it until he realizes what he's done? Like, isn't he capable of sensing even the slighest bit of Darkness in them? Or realize these people don't look exactly friendly?
I mean, Evil Queen from Snow White literally ORDERS him to kill Snow White and he almost does it??????? like. What?

I'm not even going to go into detail about the whole situation with Eraqus. I'll make a post about him later. lol

And then at endgame Terra acts all pompous in the Graveyard as if he wasn't sorta responsible for the entire mess in the first place.

But when it comes down to it, he doesn't really have much personality in the end? He's strong, sure. But that's all that he is. The only time he ever acts like the Obi-Wan figure he's supposed to be for Ventus is when he saves him from their master. And then later when he returns in 3.

They made sure to write his story to explain how and why Xehanort looks the way he looks as Ansem and Xemnas, but it's like they forgot that they were supposed to write a Character too and not just a pushover for Xehanort's own development.

The best version of Terra is The Lingering Will because that's the only version that actually acts like what Nomura (seemingly) envisioned him to be.

And it sucks, because he actually has a lot of potential to be such a cool character and we probably won't see it because his arc is seemingly done. I want to see the Terra that Ven looks up to. The Terra that is supposed to be on the same level as Aqua, and not just when it comes down to brute Strenght.
I want to see the Terra that Eraqus sees when he asks him to take care of Ven and Aqua.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I was wondering where to even put this, but I suppose this is as good a place as any, since it's a disagreement with something I'd read on the forum in the past. I'm referring to a lot of discussion when KH3 was first released about how Sora saved Aqua instead of a character more personally connected to Aqua, and also how it made Riku & Mickey's task irrelevant.

Anyway, I started a re-play of 3 the other day, and the first scene in the Mysterious Tower made me disagree with the above now. Riku talks about how the best way to reach Aqua would be through a friend of hers, comparing it to the way he jumped down into darkness after Sora unconsciously in 3D, because a friend would automatically be able to locate her through their hearts' shared bond. This cues them to say how Ventus and Terra disappeared before she did and Yensid to note that Eraqus could've if he wasn't dead. Then out of nowhere Sora says "I'll save her!" Donald gets angry, Goofy says he doesn't have the power (which Yensid had just got done telling them before Riku and Mickey entered), and then Sora says he didn't understand why he said this. I don't know if there's a Nomura interview somewhere else that discounts this, but I took that moment as Ventus speaking through Sora? Similar to the way Roxas speaks through him in Twilight Town.

I haven't got to the part in which Sora jumps into the realm of darkness to fight Aqua again yet, so my memory's a bit fuzzy on those particulars. My take right now is that Ventus' heart is the reason Sora is able to locate Aqua and appear there so quickly, in exactly the way Riku talks about in that scene; so it isn't really random that Sora saves her, because Ventus' connection with her is how she is saved more than anything else? And then Ventus physically saves her at the Land of Departure once he has his body back. This is probably really dumb and random, but it's just a thought I had during that scene. And it seems Riku's purpose for being in the realm of darkness narratively was Repliku more than Aqua.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I don't know if there is actually a confirmation anywhere in supplementary materials but if I recall correctly the whole Sora acting out in regards to Aqua and then being baffled over his own outburst happens twice throughout KH 3's running.
We know that Ven's heart is at least "active" to some degree since DDD so these incidents being Ventus acting out through Sora is highly probable even without any official confirmation as it adds up with former events that already happened.

Noivern

Awards
I was wondering where to even put this, but I suppose this is as good a place as any, since it's a disagreement with something I'd read on the forum in the past. I'm referring to a lot of discussion when KH3 was first released about how Sora saved Aqua instead of a character more personally connected to Aqua, and also how it made Riku & Mickey's task irrelevant.

Anyway, I started a re-play of 3 the other day, and the first scene in the Mysterious Tower made me disagree with the above now. Riku talks about how the best way to reach Aqua would be through a friend of hers, comparing it to the way he jumped down into darkness after Sora unconsciously in 3D, because a friend would automatically be able to locate her through their hearts' shared bond. This cues them to say how Ventus and Terra disappeared before she did and Yensid to note that Eraqus could've if he wasn't dead. Then out of nowhere Sora says "I'll save her!" Donald gets angry, Goofy says he doesn't have the power (which Yensid had just got done telling them before Riku and Mickey entered), and then Sora says he didn't understand why he said this. I don't know if there's a Nomura interview somewhere else that discounts this, but I took that moment as Ventus speaking through Sora? Similar to the way Roxas speaks through him in Twilight Town.

I haven't got to the part in which Sora jumps into the realm of darkness to fight Aqua again yet, so my memory's a bit fuzzy on those particulars. My take right now is that Ventus' heart is the reason Sora is able to locate Aqua and appear there so quickly, in exactly the way Riku talks about in that scene; so it isn't really random that Sora saves her, because Ventus' connection with her is how she is saved more than anything else? And then Ventus physically saves her at the Land of Departure once he has his body back. This is probably really dumb and random, but it's just a thought I had during that scene. And it seems Riku's purpose for being in the realm of darkness narratively was Repliku more than Aqua.
That does makes quite a lot of sense, all the while being a bit symbolic as well (since the one who ends up rescuing her looks just like her main enemy during BBS), I just wished it was show properly instead of a vague hint. Having him say something in his heart made him so desperate to save Aqua, and then she (after being saved) would realize Sora looks a lot like Ven too, connecting everything properly.

Back