• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► unsure what to do.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
Okay, well my parents are making me do confirmation when I don't want to. I don't believe in God, and what they don't seem to understand is that the sacrament is confirming your faith, which I don't have. I'm in 8th grade, and quite frankly I really want to enjoy this year; going to Church every weekend and doing workshops is not going to make an enjoyable year. Tonight I have the chance to tell the lady in charge of confirmation that I do not want to do it.

I'm unsure if I should. For one, I don't think I have the balls, but on the other hand it would be a lot of stress off of me (my parents and I argue about this all the time).

What do you think I should do KHi? Tell her I don't want to do it? Or go through with it just to get it over with? Keep in mind I won't actually be confirmed till April I think.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I feel you bro'.
I've actually been Confirmed, and went through Catholic school for 16 years even though I don't really believe in much of anything and haven't since I was 7. I did it because it was expected of me.
I mean, it doesn't really affect anything at all once it's done and if yours is anything like mine was it doesn't take up too much time to do it.

Would your parents be really angry if you chose not to?

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I feel you bro'.
I've actually been Confirmed, and went through Catholic school for 16 years even though I don't really believe in much of anything and haven't since I was 7. I did it because it was expected of me.
I mean, it doesn't really affect anything at all once it's done and if yours is anything like mine was it doesn't take up too much time to do it.

Would your parents be really angry if you chose not to?

They've told me if I really don't want to do it then don't. For my church, we have to go to church every week, but lately my parents have been lenient with that so it's not like they're torturing me. My parents have never forced me to do anything; I just feel like they'd be a bit disappointed. :/

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
They've told me if I really don't want to do it then don't. For my church, we have to go to church every week, but lately my parents have been lenient with that so it's not like they're torturing me. My parents have never forced me to do anything; I just feel like they'd be a bit disappointed. :/
I'm sure they'll get over it if you don't do it. It's better to choose not to if you don't feel a commitment to God.
You can tell your parents that it doesn't feel right for you right now and that you respect the Religion enough to decide not to "disrespect" it by doing all of this when you don't believe in it.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I talked to them; they said they wouldn't be disappointed or angry... I think I'm going to go through with it. And now my Dad is angry. I was going to be my sister's sponsor; but do you really think I'd be a good sponsor?

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
They said they wouldn't be angry but now they're angry? DDD:
My aunt was my sponsor and she wasn't really religious at all. I think if you're supportive of your sister then it's totally fine; a sponsor imo just needs to be supportive.

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
^This.
And better to get your Confirmation now, in case you change your mind later. If its truly bothering you though, don't bother. Your parents should respect your decision.

D

Deleted member 36435

^This.
And better to get your Confirmation now, in case you change your mind later. If its truly bothering you though, don't bother. Your parents should respect your decision.
there is no reason for him to get it now, he can always go back if he changes his mind

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
yeah I'm just going to do it and get it over with. my dad told me how he and my mom never really force me to do anything and that they just want me to do this. when my mom and dad got married, they couldn't get married in the church because my mom never got confirmed. they don't want me to go through that (even though I don't plan on getting married religiously or whatever).

D

Deleted member 36435

I was confirmed, it was dicks but you know what. I just dealt with it, hated every bit. I got a nice dinner out of it though so it wasn't all that bad. I mean, you can always be a super asshole and bring up the shitty parts of the bible that are skipped over in these classes.

[edit] I should clarify that I strongly suggest telling your parents that you indeed an atheist, using logical and rational reasoning and that you really don't want to do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
That's what I plan to do in religion class. I guess confirmation isn't all that bad since I get to be with my friends more.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It's super boring but it's not terrible.

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
It wasn't that bad for me. I guess it depends on where you are. I was only in second grade and didn't remember half the shit they taught me till like last year when I started helping Religous Ed.

Overall: Just try your best. It shouldn't require THAT much effort. And bring a book or just daydream if Church is the only problem. The Class can be fun ^.^

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It wasn't that bad for me. I guess it depends on where you are. I was only in second grade and didn't remember half the shit they taught me till like last year when I started helping Religous Ed.

Overall: Just try your best. It shouldn't require THAT much effort. And bring a book or just daydream if Church is the only problem. The Class can be fun ^.^

Are you sure that wasn't your Christening? Christening's are usually around 2nd/3rd grade while Confirmation's are around 8th grade.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
We had our first class or whatever tonight; my friend and I were eating all the Skittles they put in the bowls in front of us, lol.

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY
Are you sure that wasn't your Christening? Christening's are usually around 2nd/3rd grade while Confirmation's are around 8th grade.
No Confirmation. Wait. Mightve been 3rd or 4th grade. Did First Communion is 2nd Grade. Mom's in charge of it all, thats why. And I mean ALL. I have to go to Church 3 times a week and volunteer in everything cause of her -__-

EDIT:
Hammy: LOL.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
No Confirmation. Wait. Mightve been 3rd or 4th grade. Did First Communion is 2nd Grade. Mom's in charge of it all, thats why. And I mean ALL. I have to go to Church 3 times a week and volunteer in everything cause of her -__-

EDIT:
Hammy: LOL.
Catholicism is really ridiculous with all of its stuff. Baptism, First Communion, Christening, Confirmation.
Hamster you're almost done man. And you totes eat all of those skittles, I would. xD

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I know how this feels. As of right now I'm getting confirmed along with my sister and we both hate it. We go through it anyways because it's just an hour. We're not even that religious either. Haven't memorized the prayers or go to church every Sunday...But do what you want to do; it's not really a burden anyway.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Do it. The less stressed you are, the better. I believe in you bro.

Jesus

Hater-bending
Awards
I think that you should follow what you believe in. Or rather, what you don't believe in haha. I understand not wanting to disappoint your parents - it's a shitty feeling, but your fear of it shouldn't shape the decisions you make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back