• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Updated: Utada Hikaru may resume activities in Spring 2016

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Utada Hikaru may resume activities in Spring 2016

I'm curious how long Disney or Square plan on waiting before deciding on the theme for KH3.

Utada could come back next year, but the company could have made a decision in regards to a possible new singer already

I don't think there is much to base anything on beyond Nomura's heartfelt (read: beggy) message to her. That alone says he wanted her to come back. With a portion of her western fans existing because Kingdom Hearts, it would be weird to bite the hand that fed her, so to speak.

Of course it comes down to what Disney will do, but as it has been said in every Utada thread, there has been a lot of time and distance from everything that happened almost ten years ago. Disney might be more open to paying her more and Utada might be open to being paid whatever they offer.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Of course it comes down to what Disney will do, but as it has been said in every Utada thread, there has been a lot of time and distance from everything that happened almost ten years ago. Disney might be more open to paying her more and Utada might be open to being paid whatever they offer.

Correct me if I remember wrong but wasn't there another issue besides the payment (or lack thereof) from Disney?

Wasn't there also the thing that Utada disliked having to make English lyrics for songs she felt were originally made for Japanese ones?
Wasn't she rather dissatisfied with the English versions of Hikari and Passion?

Awards

Correct me if I remember wrong but wasn't there another issue besides the payment (or lack thereof) from Disney?

Wasn't there also the thing that Utada disliked having to make English lyrics for songs she felt were originally made for Japanese ones?
She didn't like the English versions because they lost the meaning of the Japanese ones.

Sdog

Awards

I don't think it was as much distaste for the final outcome of the songs as it was the process. Since they were written in Japanese and the English version more or less an after thought, I could assume it could be very painful to stay in beat with new lyrics that hold the integrity of the song. She's vouched to play versions of these songs live in English for Japanese audiences so she might appreciate them a bit more than before =p.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

I don't think there is much to base anything on beyond Nomura's heartfelt (read: beggy) message to her. That alone says he wanted her to come back. With a portion of her western fans existing because Kingdom Hearts, it would be weird to bite the hand that fed her, so to speak.

In regards to your "bite the hand" comment

I don't see how turning down Disney or Square would come at the cost of her career in regards to the west. She isn't just defined by KH. She is also well known for doing the two themes for the Evangelion films for example

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

I don't think it was as much distaste for the final outcome of the songs as it was the process. Since they were written in Japanese and the English version more or less an after thought, I could assume it could be very painful to stay in beat with new lyrics that hold the integrity of the song. She's vouched to play versions of these songs live in English for Japanese audiences so she might appreciate them a bit more than before =p.

I wouldn't call them an afterthought. Sanctuary was written before Passion, but Utada said that her integrity to the songs, well it gets hard. She's proud of Sanctuary and Simple and Clean, but she had to change the songs. The melodies weren't suited for the english language. She's not happy with reworking them - her dad was the one who said they didn't pay enough.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

In regards to your "bite the hand" comment

I don't see how turning down Disney or Square would come at the cost of her career in regards to the west. She isn't just defined by KH. She is also well known for doing the two themes for the Evangelion films for example

I'm not saying it would come at the cost of her career. I'm saying that Kingdom Hearts was her breakout into the west. Before then she was only famous in Japan. Why would she miss out on an opportunity to have one more go at Kingdom Hearts and please the fans that followed her here in the west because of the series?

She is well known for being one of the best artists in Japan, not for the songs she's performed for dramas, films, and anime and instead because of her unique voice and style, but in the west the first thing people will say when her name is mentioned is "She did Simple and Clean for Kingdom Hearts!"

Her music done for the Rebuild of Evangelion films are great but not defining parts of her career...except maybe Sakura Nagashi to a degree since it was her first song in years after her hiatus. Simple & Clean? Passion? Those are two defining moments out of many, but seem to leave the most impact.

Recon

Art of War
Awards

YES! I would absolutely love to see/hear on the main theme for KH3. Simple and Clean and Sanctuary(Passion) were well executed.

WaveK89

I really want her to create a theme song for KH3. It doesn't even need to be translated into two different languages. Having her touch on the theme for KH3 would be phenomenal.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com

Utada's music really is special. I'm fervently holding out for some involvement in KH's future. 8}

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I wouldn't call them an afterthought. Sanctuary was written before Passion, but Utada said that her integrity to the songs, well it gets hard. She's proud of Sanctuary and Simple and Clean, but she had to change the songs. The melodies weren't suited for the english language. She's not happy with reworking them - her dad was the one who said they didn't pay enough.

Ah, so my memory wasn't completely off in that regard, as she did not "dislike" the english versions per se but was nonetheless unhappy to have to rework the songs to have an English version.

I'm not saying it would come at the cost of her career. I'm saying that Kingdom Hearts was her breakout into the west. Before then she was only famous in Japan. Why would she miss out on an opportunity to have one more go at Kingdom Hearts and please the fans that followed her here in the west because of the series?

She is well known for being one of the best artists in Japan, not for the songs she's performed for dramas, films, and anime and instead because of her unique voice and style, but in the west the first thing people will say when her name is mentioned is "She did Simple and Clean for Kingdom Hearts!"

Her music done for the Rebuild of Evangelion films are great but not defining parts of her career...except maybe Sakura Nagashi to a degree since it was her first song in years after her hiatus. Simple & Clean? Passion? Those are two defining moments out of many, but seem to leave the most impact.

I'd guess that would depend on how much she really cares for a small amount of people who reduce her to only one thing, that being "she made once a song for Kingdom Hearts".
From what I've observed both musicians and actors often are not too keen to be reduced to just one part of their overall work, i.e. Christopher Lee was much more than "just" Dracula or Saruman from the Lord of the Rings, the Beatles had many more songs than just "Hey Jude" or "Let it be" etc.
Both money and time would of course also be a factor and Disney is not really known for being generous.

That being said though, I personally would be certainly pleased if she would decide to have another go with KH, but it would certainly also not be the end of the world or a huge bummer if she decides not to.

To me, the music of the KH series as a whole is defined and given the most impact by Yoko Shimomura anyways, and not Utada.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I'd guess that would depend on how much she really cares for a small amount of people who reduce her to only one thing, that being "she made once a song for Kingdom Hearts".

That isn't exactly what I meant, either. The many (and it is many) fans of Utada in the west that became fans because of Kingdom Hearts don't see her that way, and many did start following her career closely after S&C.

I'm saying that it is the one thing your average person will say when her name is mentioned. It won't be "Oh she's that amazing Japanese singer/songwriter known for her big hits like "First Love" "Automatic" "Final Distance" "Be My Last"." People aren't even going to mention her English albums. It is almost always "Simple & Clean".

From what I've observed both musicians and actors often are not too keen to be reduced to just one part of their overall work, i.e. Christopher Lee was much more than "just" Dracula or Saruman from the Lord of the Rings, the Beatles had many more songs than just "Hey Jude" or "Let it be" etc.

They aren't, but did Christopher Lee ever ignore his LOTR fans despite his dislike of being remembered primarily for it? If he was truly upset with the situation, I doubt he'd have returned for the Hobbit. He had a great respect for LOTR especially since he knew Tolkien and believed the novel franchise was one of the best literary contributions of all time.

Did the Beatles ever stop performing "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be" because they hated the fact that their fans knew them primarily for these songs?

I can even use Leonard Nimoy as an example of this. He hated being known as Spock. He wrote a book about how he was not Spock. Then later on he accepted it. It was the reason fans loved him, it was why they followed his career, it was the motivation for him to expand his horizons as a photographer, poet, musician (lol), and director, and in the end he loved being Spock.

So why would Utada ignore her fans? The ones who became loyal because of her work for Kingdom Hearts? Why ignore the MASSIVE buzz about hoping she'd return for KH3 whenever her name is brought up in the news in relation to new music?

It'd be one thing if we knew she wouldn't be asked and that there wasn't that many people clamoring for her return (Nomura himself included). Nomura didn't draw that art and write that message for nothing to come of it. The fact is that there are thousands of people clamoring for her to return for KH3.

If at the end of all things her and Disney could not come to an agreement, then that's fine, but her large western following wasn't born from nothing.

Both money and time would of course also be a factor and Disney is not really known for being generous.

I don't think Universal will let Disney get away with lowballing Utada, and Disney has been a bit more easy to work with these days

To me, the music of the KH series as a whole is defined and given the most impact by Yoko Shimomura anyways, and not Utada.

I don't think anybody actually associates the series as a whole to Utada. To look at it like that is looking at this entire situation wrong.

It's about the sum of all of the parts. Every game has had Utada's songs in it, regardless of being the same songs from KH1 and KH2. To suddenly not have it for KH3 would be a weird missing piece of what has been established as a recognizable part of the series.

It'd be like if suddenly Shimomura cut out "Dearly Beloved" as the main theme and made a completely new one. It's a part of the whole of the series.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

I think fans could survive with a new singer and theme song if Utada doesn't return. Its not like fans would suddenly drop the series if this was the case

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I think fans could survive with a new singer and theme song if Utada doesn't return. Its not like fans would suddenly drop the series if this was the case

They could, but I'm saying it would still be a part that would be missing to people. Like my example of if Dearly Beloved was replaced with a new theme. It would not be the same. People wouldn't boycott the game but there would very much be a distinctive "something" missing from the series. This is what I mean by the "sum of all of the parts".

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards

Well, for me this is good news since I had completely given up hope that she would make a song for KH3. I know it's still anything but confirmed but at least there's a chance now. A new song is a must for a big game like this, but I hope they'll use the instrumental version of Hikari somewhere. Like during the ending scenes. I'll probably cry for a week.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I think it's an entirely different scenario for the new saga but Utada is so integral to KH that it would feel wrong and very strange to have someone else for this saga's finale.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

The series could survive the loss of many things (and I'd say it already has), but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect the experience. She's worth the money they'd pay her.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

That isn't exactly what I meant, either. The many (and it is many) fans of Utada in the west that became fans because of Kingdom Hearts don't see her that way, and many did start following her career closely after S&C.

I'm saying that it is the one thing your average person will say when her name is mentioned. It won't be "Oh she's that amazing Japanese singer/songwriter known for her big hits like "First Love" "Automatic" "Final Distance" "Be My Last"." People aren't even going to mention her English albums. It is almost always "Simple & Clean".
If that's indeed the case props to those as they then truly appreciate Utada herself as a performer.

Of course that song may be an identification symbol, no doubt, but to derive from that a sort of obligation/foregone conclusion that KH 3 would/has to get a new work from her does sound more like wishful thinking.

They aren't, but did Christopher Lee ever ignore his LOTR fans despite his dislike of being remembered primarily for it? If he was truly upset with the situation, I doubt he'd have returned for the Hobbit. He had a great respect for LOTR especially since he knew Tolkien and believed the novel franchise was one of the best literary contributions of all time.

Did the Beatles ever stop performing "Hey Jude" and "Let It Be" because they hated the fact that their fans knew them primarily for these songs?

I can even use Leonard Nimoy as an example of this. He hated being known as Spock. He wrote a book about how he was not Spock. Then later on he accepted it. It was the reason fans loved him, it was why they followed his career, it was the motivation for him to expand his horizons as a photographer, poet, musician (lol), and director, and in the end he loved being Spock.

So why would Utada ignore her fans? The ones who became loyal because of her work for Kingdom Hearts? Why ignore the MASSIVE buzz about hoping she'd return for KH3 whenever her name is brought up in the news in relation to new music?

It'd be one thing if we knew she wouldn't be asked and that there wasn't that many people clamoring for her return (Nomura himself included). Nomura didn't draw that art and write that message for nothing to come of it. The fact is that there are thousands of people clamoring for her to return for KH3.

If at the end of all things her and Disney could not come to an agreement, then that's fine, but her large western following wasn't born from nothing.
When looking at the whole package of Lee's career he was way too much of a professional to let himself get truly upset and had actually several roles he was famous for. You're right with LotR, as he actually had much fun with his involvement in the franchise, he even continued to voice Saruman in many LoTR video games. For the Hobbit I recall that Peter Jackson himself actually made sure to set filming schedules as such that Lee would be most comfortable for his parts, actually allowing his scenes to be shot in Britain so Lee didn't have to travel to New Zealand in his advanced age.

Not that I'm aware of, the only thing I do recall is that the Beatles eventually refused to give anymore live concerts at all, and that had to do mostly with obnoxious fans.

Nimoy did indeed a whole U-turn, yep, although I can't say I blame his initial attitude to the issue because it can be really harmful to one's career if one is reduced to just one or two roles they played, regardless how successful they were.
I'd say that correct answer would not be that he wasn't Spock, but that he wasn't only Spock.

I'm far from insinuating that Utada would go and say deliberately "screw you" in ignorance, but I get the vibe that exactly this "massive buzz" being made is blowing the whole situation out of proportion. Call it another case of overhyping and fostering overblown expectations if you want, something especially the KH fandom is by now infamous for.

I'd say that has something to do with marketing purposes, as stating from the get-go that they won't even consider to ask her to return would again be bad PR for both Disney and SE.

I don't think Universal will let Disney get away with lowballing Utada, and Disney has been a bit more easy to work with these days

I don't think anybody actually associates the series as a whole to Utada. To look at it like that is looking at this entire situation wrong.

It's about the sum of all of the parts. Every game has had Utada's songs in it, regardless of being the same songs from KH1 and KH2. To suddenly not have it for KH3 would be a weird missing piece of what has been established as a recognizable part of the series.

It'd be like if suddenly Shimomura cut out "Dearly Beloved" as the main theme and made a completely new one. It's a part of the whole of the series.
I'll give them that they loosened up quite a bit since the 90s and early 2000s, yet Disney remains to be a rather difficult employer it seems.
Just recently I read in a German newspaper that many actors/stars, including Harrison Ford, are not really that satisfied with how Disney handles the new Star Wars films, especially when it comes to literally dictating them how to conduct interviews.

It certainly comes over as this in some instances though considering the hype made around Utada when all she did was was provide one song (two when counting KH 2) out of hundreds for the work.

Yea, and people went and complained loudly about that at almost every corner, lol, sometimes openly dissing Utada for not making a new song for every newly released KH game like a bunch of entitled brats.

I'd argue that the real wham episode would be if Shimomura would be replaced as main composer for the series as a whole, as that would affect more than 90% of the series music.
But then again, Final Fantasy also survived the departure of Nobuo Uematsu, however hard that was at the beginning.

I think fans could survive with a new singer and theme song if Utada doesn't return.

This is probably the main gist of what I'm meaning to say as well.
If Utada decides to give it another run, fine, but if she doesn't it doesn't mean the end of the world nor would there be any reason to hate her for it.

Muke

whatever
Awards

I agree with Spockanort. Utada has gotten many fans thanks to Kingdom Hearts, and it'd be a shame if she wouldn't appear in the final game of this Saga. I'm okay with having a new singer. But please do that in the next saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back