• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Updated: Utada Hikaru may resume activities in Spring 2016

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Update: Staff of Utada's website have clarified that while production on the album is taking place, no release dates have been set. Further news will be relayed through Utada's official website.

Back in August 2010, Japanese pop sensation Utada Hikaru, well known for her contributions of 'Simple and Clean' and 'Sanctuary' for the Kingdom Hearts series, announced that she would be going on hiatus for an undetermined period of time in pursuit of "human activities".

Utada first entered the music scene when she debuted in 1998 at the age of 15 and dedicated much of her life to her career. However, she felt that doing so at such a young age left her feeling unfulfilled and unable to grow as a person during the period that is most crucial for human development. After 12 successful years as the artist "Utada Hikaru", she made the decision to cease "artist activities" in order to find herself. She declared that she would return when she was ready and realized as the person she truly has become, whether this period lasts 2 years, 5 years, or even more.

Since then, she stayed true to her word and disappeared from the public eye. Utada did not participate in music or entertainment save for special exceptions, such as performing the themes of the Evangelion films and acting as a radio host for a short-running program. She studied and traveled the world. She found new love, got married and had her first child.

Utada also revealed that she had been working on a new album during her pregnancy, indicating that her return may be on the horizon. Through Yahoo News Japan and Sports Hochi (via @Gzi009), it appears that she may be making her official return in Spring 2016.

According to Sports Hochi, Utada is aiming to release her new album next Spring, and not only will it be chock-full of big tie-ins, but one of her new songs will also be the theme for a big drama/news program starting in April.

Utada has yet to comment on this news.

Naturally, her return raises a lot of questions for the Kingdom Hearts community, most notably being the possibility of a new theme for Kingdom Hearts 3. If what Sports Hochi says is confirmed to be true, do you think it's possible that she will be returning to the franchise? What if one of the big tie-ins in her album may be for the long-awaited title? 

Let us know what you think on our forums!

Many thanks to goldpanner for translating the information!

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitterTumblr and Google+ for all of the latest Kingdom Hearts 3 news!

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Re: Utada Hikaru may resume activities in Spring 2016

this is good year for announcments. 2016 is going ti be great.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards

It's looking more and more likely that she could make one last theme song for KH. I'm hoping so. I'm okay if she never makes another, but she has to for KH3. It wouldn't feel complete without her in the opening CGI scene.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Dreams maybe do come true.

shuyin_zer0

Awards

Considering her single-to-album ratio in the past, if the album is due out in Spring, then we should be getting it's first single anytime now :D!

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

utada need to finish this where it all start and complete the circle for kingdom hearts :)

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

I'm happy that she is finally returning. Hope she makes songs as great as Beautiful World

As for KH3, if she comes back great. But Im fine with a new singer as well

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

It wouldn't feel right if the last of the numbered titles didn't kick off with a pop song, would it?

Sdog

Awards

It's been far too long :'). Hopefully her time off was well insightful and joyful, it sure seems to be judging from those wedding photos. While she's gorgeous and weddings are typically a happy moment, she looks beyond herself. +1 child WOO!

And of course a new song would be a dream come true for the final installment!

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards

I'm all for a new song, but part of me hopes maybe they can negotiate for her to do Final Distance in English so that way KH3DHD can hve a second opening with that song because that was a huge opportunity missed right there.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

when you walk away, you won't hear me say ooh. ooh ooh baby, don't go.

Oathkeyper97

Donna toki datte
Zutto futari de
Donna toki datte
Soba ni iru nara
Kimi to iu [you] hikari ga
Watashi wo mitsukeru
Mayonaka ni

(Japanese lyrics FTW :D)

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

Oh man, 2016 is going to be an rather exciting year. Good to see Utada returning!

appleboy82791

Awards

This is very exciting. I can't wait to see if she's going to be involved in the music of KH3.

MaxialstarOA

I hope she returns for KH III.

Just wondering, how much of her songs from previous albums have been featured in other things?

Like, half of the songs? Or just a few?

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

This gets me super excited. Would love a new piece from her for KH3.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

I'm curious how long Disney or Square plan on waiting before deciding on the theme for KH3.

Utada could come back next year, but the company could have made a decision in regards to a possible new singer already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back