• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Vanitas as next series villain

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I'd love to have Vanitas as a main villain for the next saga. My only problem is that we would need to see him develop in III before then since we only have so much info from Birth by Sleep. Perhaps the writers can bring info from the novel into the mix...

Gram

Banned
Awards
Even though I find him one of the best villains this series has I dont want him for main next saga. I've had my fill of evil keybearers for a few games.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
PRO TIP: Sometimes people aren't as knowledgeable as others about certain media franchises. This isn't funny, it's just rude.

There is a difference between "not being knowledgeable" and being unwilling to research some of the facts and being rude to those trying to help. Zspek kept constantly saying how everyone must be joking and how it was darn obvious when everything they were saying wasn't right. It was clear that they weren't looking the things up online (which isn't a bad thing, not everyone has that time) but after a certain point it came across as if they were just being argumentative, refuting people's things just by saying "it's obvious" which is a technique used to intentionally annoy people. I would not post that image just because someone didn't know things about the series, there have been many people who joined here looking for answers (I do sometimes, when I first joined I did a lot) but there is a different way to go upon learning something by accepting or at least looking it up before posting a view point that has been stated by numerous people here that it is flawed over and over.

I hold not ill will towards zspek, I just honestly wondered if at a point they were trolling. It's a common thing I see nowadays, I don't think it would be an insult, if they take it that way, I honestly apologize.

I read some of the posts and I see that the discussion has shifted substantially to more about the Ventus/Vanitas dynamic, but back on with Vanitas being a villian:

I sort of assumed he would be one of the Thirteen Darknesses, and I hope that's the role he plays. I assume he'll come back (since he made extremely brief cameos in 3D). Vanitas works better as an underling because he's had no development. But, I suppose that's what they were going for, considering Vanitas is "pure darkness" anyway.

I do see him as being one of the 13 darknesses, I really want to see him confront TAV again honestly. Considering there last battle was kind of left in limbo which Terra being held captive in his own body, Ven in a coma-state, and Aqua having to pick up the pieces (before sending herself to the RoD for Terra) I definitely want to see a confrontation over 10-years in the making lol :p

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I think that for the next series, Nomura will want a fresh start with a new enemy. Vanitas has too many ties with Xehanort. Heck, you may even argue that he's so dark and powerful because of a dash of some good old extra Xehanort darkness, or basically a part of Xehanort's heart in the mix. Which is obvious if you consider his eyes (and probably his ears, if I do remember there being a clear enough shot of them).

I'm picturing Vanitas being the one taking down Xehanort, along with himself in the end of KH3. After all, he's the embodiment of Ven's hatred and rage, which might turn into anger towards Xehanort himself, realizing how much of a manipulative bastard he truly is. We'll have to see.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
I think that for the next series, Nomura will want a fresh start with a new enemy. Vanitas has too many ties with Xehanort. Heck, you may even argue that he's so dark and powerful because of a dash of some good old extra Xehanort darkness, or basically a part of Xehanort's heart in the mix. Which is obvious if you consider his eyes (and probably his ears, if I do remember there being a clear enough shot of them).

I don't think there's ever been a clear shot of Vanitas' ears. They are always obscured by his giant sideburns and the metallic piece of his helmet.

I'm picturing Vanitas being the one taking down Xehanort, along with himself in the end of KH3. After all, he's the embodiment of Ven's hatred and rage, which might turn into anger towards Xehanort himself, realizing how much of a manipulative bastard he truly is. We'll have to see.

I believe everybody has a reason to beat the jam out of Xehanort, considering that they all have been wronged by him one way or another. However, I think the one who will deal the final blow would be Sora, and it would be representative of the "revenge" exacted by all those people because of their links to him.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Even though I find him one of the best villains this series has I dont want him for main next saga. I've had my fill of evil keybearers for a few games.

If I could like this comment, I would. -takes idea about the next villain being someone trying to eliminate Keybladers, and runs into the sunset- Though I guess if Vanitas somehow lost his Keyblade, it could work. XD

Also, Ruran, I like your idea about the next villain being someone new to villainy, unlike Xenanort was:) Imo, I think the next antagonist should be as different from Xehanort as possible (female antagonist ftw!), but maybe that's just me...

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I read some of the posts and I see that the discussion has shifted substantially to more about the Ventus/Vanitas dynamic, but back on with Vanitas being a villian:

I sort of assumed he would be one of the Thirteen Darknesses, and I hope that's the role he plays. I assume he'll come back (since he made extremely brief cameos in 3D). Vanitas works better as an underling because he's had no development. But, I suppose that's what they were going for, considering Vanitas is "pure darkness" anyway.

Development is only one part of the thing though. For example Emperor Palpatine when first introduced in Empire strikes back and later Return of the Jedi also had close to zero development (and he didn't get much during the original trilogy beyond "evil overlord") and yet he is still the main villain.
I agree that Vanitas works better as an underling, mainly though because of how his character and personality (the few bits we know so far) works. He has neither the charisma, cunning or a different trait that would paint him as a leader figure. On the contrary, he's not only vain, brutal and cruel, but also brash and impulsive bordering on recklessness sometimes.
From an outside point of view, I do not see why anyone would be willing to follow him or accept him as a leader.

He'll most likely be one of the Darknesess and while I think it's be nice to get more development on him, he runs into that issue that if he's included in KH3 there simply wouldn't be much room without half-assing it. So he probably will remain an underling till the end.

Presuming that Vanitas does survive until the next saga though, if they want to continue building him up as a villain, the story could revolve around his slow rise. I can't see it happening it, but hypothetically speaking, the next saga could be the "Vanitas Saga" and where the Xehanort Saga is about a villain who already left a big footprint, the next one could feature the villain just getting their start and attempting to make an even bigger one.

That's why I expect only some tidbits and/or small cutscenes involving the other main characters, mainly Sora and Ven, but ultimatively there won't be much central focus on him. All in all, Vanitas works better as an underling anyways as turning him into a leader figure could be done only with a totally abrupt 180° turn in the current setup.

This is exactly what I would expect as well considering the current setup of Vanitas as a concept/character. He can become a main villain over time, but that would need some fleshed out buildup so that he realistically could emerge as the primary villain only about halfway into the next saga, possibly with a different "arc-villain" taking the place as "main threat" for the first half of the saga, either a new character or let the Disney villains take that role.
Of course Vanitas would also oppose the heroes during the first half of the saga, but no one would actually see him as the main danger yet.

I don't think there's ever been a clear shot of Vanitas' ears. They are always obscured by his giant sideburns and the metallic piece of his helmet.

I believe everybody has a reason to beat the jam out of Xehanort, considering that they all have been wronged by him one way or another. However, I think the one who will deal the final blow would be Sora, and it would be representative of the "revenge" exacted by all those people because of their links to him.

Yep, Vanitas' ears were never visible because they're completely covered by that metallic jaw-piece from his helmet.
Even without it, the hair would still be in the way as shown when looking at Sora who has the same hairstyle, since while his ears can be seen, it's only the lower half and thus if the tip is pointed or not would be impossible to see.

Either that, or they will blow him apart with a combined team-attack either from all directions or channelled through Sora.
That there are so many who have to pluck a crow with the old coot is one of the reasons why I think that it would be unfulfilling to have just one person deliver the final blow on him.
If Sora is the one to do it, one part of the fandom will be upset because it's the typical "main protagonist gets all the best parts"-schtick and because there are people who have suffered more under him,
if Ven would be the one to do it, there would be accusations of "stealing the spotlight from Sora" or that "Terra deserves it more", same goes for if Terra, Aqua or anyone gets the honor yadda yadda, you get my drift.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
If I could like this comment, I would. -takes idea about the next villain being someone trying to eliminate Keybladers, and runs into the sunset- Though I guess if Vanitas somehow lost his Keyblade, it could work. XD

Also, Ruran, I like your idea about the next villain being someone new to villainy, unlike Xenanort was:) Imo, I think the next antagonist should be as different from Xehanort as possible (female antagonist ftw!), but maybe that's just me...

I can totally imagine it; "Execute Order 66."

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Either that, or they will blow him apart with a combined team-attack either from all directions or channelled through Sora.
That there are so many who have to pluck a crow with the old coot is one of the reasons why I think that it would be unfulfilling to have just one person deliver the final blow on him.
If Sora is the one to do it, one part of the fandom will be upset because it's the typical "main protagonist gets all the best parts"-schtick and because there are people who have suffered more under him,
if Ven would be the one to do it, there would be accusations of "stealing the spotlight from Sora" or that "Terra deserves it more", same goes for if Terra, Aqua or anyone gets the honor yadda yadda, you get my drift.

lol Now I'm imagining one of those Power Rangers-esque bits where they all get close to one another, charge up a huge shot while saying the attack's name and then firing it onto the bad guy after which a huge explosion occurs with them standing epic-like in front.

Given that there are 13 VoD and 7 GoL, I could see Ventus getting the final blow on Vanitas. Everyone would have someone to get the final blow on (if they wanted to make it corny like that), because I could see Aqua finishing off Braig, and Terra probably won't be a GoL so I don't see him finishing off anyone (but himself).

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
lol Now I'm imagining one of those Power Rangers-esque bits where they all get close to one another, charge up a huge shot while saying the attack's name and then firing it onto the bad guy after which a huge explosion occurs with them standing epic-like in front.

While not shouting "SUPER MEGA ULTRA GIGA KEYBLADE RADIANT BRIGHT KAMEHAMEHA-LIKE LASER LIGHT BEAM ATTACK!", Sora and Riku did use something of the sort against Xemnas before finishing him off.

Given that there are 13 VoD and 7 GoL, I could see Ventus getting the final blow on Vanitas. Everyone would have someone to get the final blow on (if they wanted to make it corny like that), because I could see Aqua finishing off Braig, and Terra probably won't be a GoL so I don't see him finishing off anyone (but himself).

But if Terra "dies", then the point of going through all the trouble to save him from torment would become void, no? I don't think it's quality writing to have Terra sacrifice himself because he, in a sense, have died and been resurrected only to die again.

Eh, I digress. Let's get back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back