• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Video Game Ownership

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What do you do with your games after beating them?

• Keep Them

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Sell Them

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Trade Them

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
I know that the culture around video games nowadays is to sell or trade them in for the newest ones that hit the shelves. That being said, I find that I tend to be one of the few people who keep their video games after beating them (as far as talk in places like Gamestop and such are concerned). I have all of my old N64 games, and probably 90% of my games from back to the Gameboy Color to the Nintendo Wii.

Ever since I was a teenager, I saved and saved any money I earned so that I could purchase these select games and play them to my heart's content. But long after I got 100% completion I kept those games when they could have been sold for some pocket cash or be traded in for another game. I didn't want to just experience those games I wanted to OWN them because I worked hard just to have them; and when I look back at all my game cases collecting dust, it's like looking at a library of my gaming history, seeing where I've come from and how my tastes in gaming has changed over the years. I guess that's something I don't see much happening anymore with this particular form of entertainment.

So the basic discussion topics for this thread are:
  1. What do you do with your games after beating them? Keep them? Sell them? Trade them? And why?
  2. How do you view the usefulness of your games after you're done with them?

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I'm a game-horder.
I've only traded games in once, that was last week. It where games that, while not bad or anything, I never felt motivated enough to finish. Seeing as I have plenty of games I do intend to finish and no-one here had any interest in them, it felt like the most logical thing to do.
I don't think I'd trade in any other games, unless I manage to get another bunch of games with that problem.

Aside from this instance, I keep my games. I occasionally play games again, even if it's almost a decade later. Plus, if I ever get any children, I'd like to keep them around just in case they're interested.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
  1. What do you do with your games after beating them? Keep them? Sell them? Trade them? And why?

When I was twelve, I ended up selling a few games like super smash bros melee, after completing it. Little did I know later I'd regret it because, I happen to like playing as Roy from Fire Emblem. There were more courses, more challenges and the story mode was good too. After learning from that mistake, I've kept almost every game I've had or ever completed. Only times I've sold them were in garage sales, but, don't get a lot of money out of them. Luckily it has to be a game I really, REALLY, dislike in order to get rid of it. :D

2.How do you view the usefulness of your games after you're done with them?

They'll end up being left to my siblings or relatives to play. So, I'd say they're still very useful to have around and always feels good to know they're there within easy reach. Should I ever want to play them again.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
i am almost exclusively a pc gamer so all my games are just installed to my hard drive.

but when i used to play on consoles or handhelds, i'd usually sell them when i was done with them. sometimes i'd regret it and go back and buy them again, but usually i tend to think that if i've beaten it once, the chances are pretty low that i'll go back unless i really liked it.

Gram

Banned
Awards
What do you do with your games after beating them? Keep them? Sell them? Trade them? And why?
That really depends on the game itself cause I both keep and trade. Like I still have all my N64 games and SNES and what's left of my Gameboy games that work.
The nostalgia and the fact that I find these games in particular so replayable is why I've never got rid of them. It's a bit more half and half with more recent games and largely depends on how much replay value I feel the game has.
Like I still have my The World Ends With You for ds but that's the only ds game I have left from before I got a 3ds. I also have my ps2 version of Persona 3Fes even though I have it on my ps3 as well.

On the other angle, there have been many games I've played and liked but didn't find no joy in them after beating because I had nothing left to do or found it entertaining to start a new file. I usually trade these games in to make newer games I want cheaper.

How do you view the usefulness of your games after you're done with them?
Very useful if I find them very replayable.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
I sold an original Gameboy and a Sega Genesis a long time ago, as well as most of my games for them, and that is a decision I constantly regret. I'm the kind of person who occasionally goes on random spurts of playing a bunch of older games, so I choose to hold onto them, especially since most wouldn't earn very much for trading in anyway

Oran

Awards
When I was around 14 I was in that cycle of getting a few games and trading them in at gamestop for newer ones. Then I slowly began to realize that I have made a huge mistake in doing so for so many reasons. The first being that I got a terrible deal in doing so (12 old games for like two new ones) plus just not having those old experiences to play again left me with an empty feeling. I remember one game in particular being Alan Wake, while Ill admit it wasn't the best game of all time it was the first xbox 360 game I bought and completed and it was a rather enjoyable game I ended up selling it along with a pile of other games thinking "it don't think ill ever want to play it again" and boy was I wrong. The music alone was enough to make me miss that game and I use it as a reminder to myself to never trade in any games again. So yeah I keep my games after completing them some I haven't finished and I keep telling myself to do so but I know I never will (I'm looking at you FF XIII)

RuffPuff

Filthy Turnip
Awards
I keep all of my games. I don't remember trading games, but my mum had to pawn some of my games for groceries. ;n; Maybe that scarred me a little bit.
I take pride in my collection now, and my games currently take up a lot of space on my book shelf. Even though I don't think I'll play a lot of them again, it's nice to have them there... even if the older ones are sorta decorations.

Santiago

Since stores give you barely anything for returning a game that's older than a month, I don't return my games unless I absolutely ended up hating them. Only game that has suffered that fate is Skate 2, which I don't remember why I hated the game. If anything, I give away my games to my friends if they want to play them. I get them back 4/5 times.

After I've beaten a game, I just put it to rest with all my other games. If I like it enough, I'll replay it again some day. If I don't, it just sits there and catches dust.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I try to keep all my games just in case one day I want to go back and play through them again. Even if I've finished the game I'll still keep it, it's fun to relive the game all over again. There's only been one time I recall where I've actually sold a game I liked, and then a few years down the line I wanted to play it again but I wasn't able to.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I sold Lego Island 2 for the GBA to GameStop as a kid. I expected to make a killing and even had thought of a couple games I could spend my money on....little did I know I would only get $10 for it.

Now I only sell them on Amazon because I know I can get a decent amount back. However, I only sell games I don't ever intend to play again/don't like. Examples are Killzone 2, Modern Warfare 2, Final Fantasy XIII. It's rare for me to sell games though. I still have my GBA, GCN, DS, and Wii games.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Keep 'em, I just can't get rid of them. I only sold a few PS1 games because I had a PS2 but the PS1 memory card I was using for them broke and my parents didn't want to get me a new one so I sold a few of the games I didn't like much. I only sold two or three and only vaguely remember one of them so I don't miss them much. I think I also sold one or two for the PS2 which I also don't really remember well. Basically, I very rarely sell games and when I don they're ones I don't care for. I like to keep them as a collection even if I don't play them them very often.

AirbagVII

Awards
There was a time when I used to sell a lot of my games (mostly old ones for PS1, Genesis/Mega Drive, etc), in order to buy new games and stuff, but I regretted it so much that I actually bought them again later on the road.

Nostalgia is a pain! :tongue:

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
If I don't feel like I'd ever replay the game, then I will likely trade it in. Tend to only do it though when there is another game I want so I can get more money off. Did that a couple of months back and picked up Bioshock Infinite for £1.60.

Korai

Awards
i keep them, so that one day in like 20 years i can look back at these relics of the past of video games, and even play them again, and laugh at the awful graphics of the 2000's and 2010's lol

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
I keep them, always, to keep so when in the future, I can sell them and it will be worth a fortune. The ONLY game I ever sold as of now was Final Fantasy XIII because I felt like it was a job to finish it... I shouldn't have... could be worth a lot in the future...

My friends Always sell them after finishing them, which is such a shame, because think of all the cash you can accumulate in the future when they aren't produced anymore and you can only find them online. I found Legend of Mana in my closet... and it's like 60+ bucks right now on Ebay. I only played on it like 3 times... so you can imagine, how much this will be worth in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back