• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Wait, what?"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

pokepotterkhkids

Website
www.freewebs.com
Long story short. I'm in independent study. I *thought* I was all on track to graduate on time so far. Turns out, not so much. I went to turn in some more work on Wednesday, and they inform me, I am to graduate May 19th THIS YEAR. If I were in regular high school, this May would've marked the end of my Sophomore year. Apparently, it's gonna mark the end of ALL my years in high school (which turned out to only be two)

I'm not really complaining about graduating 2 years early, more at the last minute notice

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Wait, what is the point of this? Do you want advise? Or is this just informing?

(Though I will say congratulations and that is amazing that you will be graduating early, but you are only...15, right? Are you planning to go to college? Because if I were you I'd jump right into CC and get as many credits as you can))

pokepotterkhkids

Website
www.freewebs.com
The point is that it just seems kinda odd that they wouldn't notify me earlier, especially because I shouldn't be graduating for another 2 years. Kinda a complaint/information thing

Turned 16 yesterday, and I'm gonna just work for 2 years, because I want to go to a 4 year university for 4 years, and my top choice is out of state and they said I had to be 18/turning 18 to enroll as a first year student. I think it may be a good thing though, cause now I can save more money towards college.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
huh?
your schools can skip grades?
for what reason and how? wouldn't you skip important things in the skipped years?

pokepotterkhkids

Website
www.freewebs.com
huh?
for what reason and how? wouldn't you skip important things in the skipped years?

Independent study is just that. You earn credits at your own pace. It's not really surprising to me, because I've had a track record of being WAAAY ahead (6th grade psych eval also evaluated my academic levels, Reading & Reading comprehension levels were worded as "Above College Level" and all other subjects were above grade level)

You have to enroll as independent study as well, and it has monthly tuition as well as you have to pay for your books, public high schools in my area don't let kids skip grades as far as I know. And independent study doesn't have big school events like public schools do like prom and football games & senior trip and stuff. I've earned all my credits to graduate and so now I'm graduating.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
huh?

It isn't skipping grades, but rather she did all of the work required of her.

The point is that it just seems kinda odd that they wouldn't notify me earlier, especially because I shouldn't be graduating for another 2 years. Kinda a complaint/information thing

Turned 16 yesterday, and I'm gonna just work for 2 years, because I want to go to a 4 year university for 4 years, and my top choice is out of state and they said I had to be 18/turning 18 to enroll as a first year student. I think it may be a good thing though, cause now I can save more money towards college.

I think you should check and make sure this is correct before you leave. Just to be sure.

And working would be good for saving, but I definitely recommend at least taking one class per semester at a CC. You'd still be able to go to a university for 4 years with the added bonus of having already finished some classes (which leaves more time for you to explore classes at whatever university you choose) and maybe already have a minor (which is usually five classes of the subject choice). It will also keep you in practice because two years is a lot of time to be out of school, no matter how smart you are.

pokepotterkhkids

Website
www.freewebs.com
It isn't skipping grades, but rather she did all of the work required of her.

I think you should check and make sure this is correct before you leave. Just to be sure.

And working would be good for saving, but I definitely recommend at least taking one class per semester at a CC. You'd still be able to go to a university for 4 years with the added bonus of having already finished some classes (which leaves more time for you to explore classes at whatever university you choose) and maybe already have a minor (which is usually five classes of the subject choice). It will also keep you in practice because two years is a lot of time to be out of school, no matter how smart you are.

In independent study they just give you a paper that tells you exactly how much of what needs to be done before you can graduate your first day there. They also have a requirement that you be 16 before you can graduate, and I took the CAHSEE earlier this year.

Yeah, maybe I could try CC. I have a few different things I'd want to try and learn in college, so maybe getting required stuff out of the way would be a big help on my class load in college, so I could focus on the main stuff.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Enroll in community college. IMMEDIATELY. Four 12 credit semesters, Two 6-8 credit summer terms, means that by the time your "graduating class" finishes High School you will have earned 56 College Credits, most likely have already figured out a good deal of what you want out of your college experience, have your general electives out of the way, and have a huge college transcript and GPA to show to colleges when you apply. Believe it or not, colleges actually tend to take Community College transcripts more seriously than even SAT/ACT scores. If you have more than 26 Community College credits, colleges won't ask to see your SAT/ACT scores, or even your high school diploma, because your performance in Community College far outweighs whatever those other things represent. Being in Community College shows that you can already succeed in college, so as far as they're concerned, your GPA from there is what is most relevant.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Community Colleges have significantly shorted deadlines. As in. You can sign up for a Community College the day that classes start.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That's one of the issues. Is they didn't tell me I would be graduating in time for me to meet ANY enrollment deadlines. I have to wait till the spring semesters start next year.

Honestly, at CCs enrollment deadlines don't mean anything. I enrolled at my CC after switching out of my University two weeks before Spring semester started. Just go enroll now for Fall and take the tests you need for English and Math proficiency (hopefully you'll test out of both so you can take other classes) and make an appointment with a counselor.

And if the classes you want are full, go crash them. You'll get a spot because people drop classes like flies.

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Take summer semesters at Community College. They're 6 weeks and ridiculously easy

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That too. They don't even take up that much time from your day and they can only help you, and they are cheap. If you have financial hardships, most CCs offer to pay for every semester. (minus books. You have to pay that yourself during summer and winter semesters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back