• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Want tech help? Here's some information to provide us, so we don't have to ask.

• Thread starter Deleted member 36435
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 36435

Your CMOS battery is basically what keeps your BIOS settings saved to your motherboard. Replacing that wouldn't fix this type of boot issue. You can try putting in the HDD from your new computer into the old one to see if that's the issue. It could potentially be your PSU but I doubt that since the lights still turn on.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I'm going to get a Sabrent USB SATA for the old hard drive. Now, I'm dealt downloading Windows 10 again.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
just get a western digital green drive and pop it in if you're worried about price

I ended up getting an Insignia 3.0 USB Closure for 3.5 drives...I haven't opened it due to the fat of not being sure if it'd work on Windows 10.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
I ended up getting an Insignia 3.0 USB Closure for 3.5 drives...I haven't opened it due to the fat of not being sure if it'd work on Windows 10.

According to the user manual found here, it supports Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista,and Windows 7 operating systems; I'm assuming it will have zero problem being used with Windows 10, my external drive that dates to Windows 7 had zero issues - most of this stuff operates on Plug-and-Play, you shouldn't have an issue.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
According to the user manual found here, it supports Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista,and Windows 7 operating systems; I'm assuming it will have zero problem being used with Windows 10, my external drive that dates to Windows 7 had zero issues - most of this stuff operates on Plug-and-Play, you shouldn't have an issue.

Thanks Ven, I'll give it a go at some time.

Dreaded_Desire62

bronze member
Awards
Website
gmail.com
Well, my computer has been acting weird since yesterday. I couldn't get it to shut down, because the start key wouldn't work. I couldn't even click on the icons on the taskbar, because the cursor never changed, even when I tried double clicking or right clicking.

I've had to turn off the power button on my CPU just to shut it down immediately. Earlier on today, I tried shutting it down, but it seemed to take forever. And, I could press any button to switch from shutting down to switching users, restarting and so forth. I recently downloaded Windows 10 and I am wondering if it has anything to do with my current computer problems.

Anagram

Banned
So does anyone here know about the Uverse internet service? How is it compared to things like dishnet?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
So does anyone here know about the Uverse internet service? How is it compared to things like dishnet?

Unless you live in the sticks, it should be loads better than dishnet. Had U-verse for a couple of years, the only time the internet ever went out was when a landscaper cut the line outside with his weed-eater on accident (the line wasn't buried).

Any of you guys know about ATT Fiber Optic?

AFAIK it's similar to Comcast's Fiber Optic "Service," they basically overcharge you upwards of $100-150 a month for the 1GBps line. Personally, if money isn't an object to you any more Mr. Belfort, go ahead. I'd rather wait for either a municipal-style fiber-optic system (as those have begun to creep up - note Chattanooga, TN) as they might be cheaper for the same speed. Like a blind man given water, I'd throw my money at Google Fiber (which is still AFAIK around $70 a month for the fiber optic, $7 a month for the normal MBps connection) the second it becomes available.

And tbh rob, I'd consider investing in one or two Solid State Drives (recommend Samsung, bless best Korea, south of the soccer field). Bought one, cloned my old hard drive to it, and now my boot/load times on it are gloriously smooth and fast. I'm still using my external 1TB storage for obvious reasons, but the SSD's give you that lack of worry - no moving parts inside, so no worry about mechanical failures or issues as with normal hard drives.

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
Sadly I am in the sticks but Uverse has recently become an option. Does it have any limits? Like use so much and it slows down or turns off?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

My family uses Uverse internet. I don't know very much about the technical stuff behind it, but I can say that it's much faster and more reliable than what we had before. Until we got Uverse, I'd have to rely on my school's wifi to get anything done.

Anagram

Banned
My family uses Uverse internet. I don't know very much about the technical stuff behind it, but I can say that it's much faster and more reliable than what we had before. Until we got Uverse, I'd have to rely on my school's wifi to get anything done.
So then I might need to jump on it while I have the chance. Does it have limits that can slow it down or shut it off?

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
U-Verse currently has a monthly 250GB data cap limit, you can check with the customer representative at the store who's peddling you U-Verse, or the technician they send out to your residence, as to whether AT&T is enforcing it (seeing multiple articles within the past 8 or so months in conflict over this). Here's the AT&T support page regarding it.

I never experienced slow-downs or anything when using it, so idk.

Anagram

Banned
I've only seen the conflict in research myself and I talked to an AT&T guy before but I'm always partly skeptical of a person who makes sales for a living. But that data limit alone is something I'd never breach with what little I do so I guess I have no reason to worry. My current stuff is some crap like 5 or 10gb and I usually only go over it near a months end. I'd never breach 250 haha

Guess I should talk to this At&T guy again now. Thanks to you both.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Thanks Ven,

Reason why I asked because I too was also being offered to get U-Verse which I ended up doing. I was expecting to go higher than what I usually had before. I could get an upgrade although there's a territorial problem that's not yet compatible here in my neighborhood although it is offered. I was only able to get 1mb higher for U-Verse; from 6mb to 7mb. I can see the slight difference. It's really good. Can't wait for the time when I'm able to get a faster download.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I can tell you about Uverse, since it's what we got.

It seems with the data cap, they are only enforcing it in some areas. (They aren't enforcing it where I am.) Speed is pretty decent, I do play FFXIV on it all the time as well as bittorrenting stuff, tho I try to keep the torrenting to a minimum and not torrent everything under the sun.

I'd say call them and ask them POINT BLANK if they are enforcing the cap in your area.

Also be aware, their tech support's a load of crap. If something goes wrong, they WILL go for the modem first for some reason. Make sure you are sure it's not the modem so you don't have to pay for a new one and insist on a line test. Your wallet may thank you.

Anagram

Banned
I can tell you about Uverse, since it's what we got.

It seems with the data cap, they are only enforcing it in some areas. (They aren't enforcing it where I am.) Speed is pretty decent, I do play FFXIV on it all the time as well as bittorrenting stuff, tho I try to keep the torrenting to a minimum and not torrent everything under the sun.

I'd say call them and ask them POINT BLANK if they are enforcing the cap in your area.

Also be aware, their tech support's a load of crap. If something goes wrong, they WILL go for the modem first for some reason. Make sure you are sure it's not the modem so you don't have to pay for a new one and insist on a line test. Your wallet may thank you.
So beware of the help line? D:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
So beware of the help line? D:
Ohh yeah. It's a waste of time. Uverse doesn't break down nearly as much as our previous thing did- in fact, it's broken down only once- but that one time gave us a VERY clear idea that their tech support is... frustrating. You have to go through a lot of trouble just to talk to a real person and not an automated voice, and then you have to be careful of what maryadavies already mentioned.

Back