• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What about a Kingdom Hearts without Disney??

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Foxycian

Awards
If we are being honest It’s thanks to both Disney and Square Enix the reason why we love this franchise that Much, the Game is a crossover between those two companies, they are like light and Darkness, you can’t have one without the other, that’s what makes kingdom hearts Special.

Danrye001

Awards
If we are being honest It’s thanks to both Disney and Square Enix the reason why we love this franchise that Much, the Game is a crossover between those two companies, they are like light and Darkness, you can’t have one without the other, that’s what makes kingdom hearts Special.
You said it again (they really need to bring back Sephiroth in the next KH game as an optional can be repeated boss in KH).

They can also be gay
Okay but still, Sora and Riku are not gay.

Barrett

Awards
The closest we've gotten to a KH without Disney are arguably 0.2 BBS and Dark Road (so far) since they weren't in your face the whole time. Particularly in 0.2, it has dark twisted versions of Castle of Dreams, Dwarf Woodlands, and Enchanted Dominion appearing with none of its inhabitants to be seen and Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Yen Sid being the only Disney proper characters to appear. While I think Disney not being in Kingdom Hearts at all wouldn't feel right, I think more experiences like 0.2 and Dark Road going forward would be pretty interesting. Just enough Disney for those who want them in while allowing more original lore or even more Square crossovers to be in the spotlight consistently throughout the stories.

Sean Wheeler

Awards
The closest we've gotten to a KH without Disney are arguably 0.2 BBS and Dark Road (so far) since they weren't in your face the whole time. Particularly in 0.2, it has dark twisted versions of Castle of Dreams, Dwarf Woodlands, and Enchanted Dominion appearing with none of its inhabitants to be seen and Mickey, Donald, Goofy, and Yen Sid being the only Disney proper characters to appear. While I think Disney not being in Kingdom Hearts at all wouldn't feel right, I think more experiences like 0.2 and Dark Road going forward would be pretty interesting. Just enough Disney for those who want them in while allowing more original lore or even more Square crossovers to be in the spotlight consistently throughout the stories.
0.2 is very short and is on the same disc as HD Dream Drop Distance (which has the worlds of Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tron Legacy, Pinocchio, The Three Musketeers and Fantasia) and even still the twisted versions of the worlds of Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty taking up 0.2's time is still plenty of Disney even if it's just the environment and not the characters. Mickey gets to help you out. I'm planning to start Dark Road after finishing Union X so I do not know what Dark Road is all about.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't think that Disney being disconnected from KH would make SoRiku more or less likely to rise above queerbaiting. I mean, Square doesn't really have a strong history on things like LGBT characters (or female characters for that matter) either? If anything, I'd say Disney is currently more pro-diversity at this stage in their character types and depictions than Square is really.

Barrett

Awards
0.2 is very short and is on the same disc as HD Dream Drop Distance (which has the worlds of Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tron Legacy, Pinocchio, The Three Musketeers and Fantasia) and even still the twisted versions of the worlds of Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty taking up 0.2's time is still plenty of Disney even if it's just the environment and not the characters. Mickey gets to help you out. I'm planning to start Dark Road after finishing Union X so I do not know what Dark Road is all about.
I think that in the case of Castle of Dreams, it's only recognizably Disney because of the castle itself since that's the only thing that would identify which world Aqua is in. Take that away and the town itself becomes so much less clear which world it belongs to, especially since the town never gets visited in the original BBS.

For Dwarf Woodlands and Enchanted Dominion, they only give subtle hints of which world Aqua's wandering through with the use of mirrors and dungeon areas for the former and a forest of thorns for the latter, each area becoming less and less distinct as a Disney world the further you go through them. Sure you can still call these areas Disney-sanctioned because of these hints, but it wouldn't matter since the game itself considers all these worlds as just bigger connected areas in the Dark World/Realm of Darkness.

It's these kind of design and writing choices that make me love how the concept of Disney worlds was handled in that game and that's what I'm interested in seeing more of, especially in a more longer format. Finding a way for a KH entry that gets to really focus in on its original story and character development while still finding ways to slip in Disney stuff even if it's really subtle.

I would prefer though if numbered games (if that's still gonna be a thing by this time) still went full-steam ahead on the Disney stuff because I live for KH going ham on it

Last edited:

vaderskywalker

Awards
Kingdom Hearts without Disney wouldn't be the same, it would just be another jrpg with jrpg characters, I got into kingdom hearts because of Disney, I got interested in final fantasy because of kingdom hearts, you just can't have one without the other. I mean it can do without final fantasy at least but Disney is like the main attraction for some people and to see it go would be very heart breaking.

Last edited:
Back