• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road ► What about Switch?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

ZinC Podzzz

Awards
We've seen Square Enix release mobile entries on Nintendo Switch, like FF15 Pocket Edition (and I suppose The World Ends With You.) What if they released Dark Road on Switch? We don't know much about gameplay, but this is just a thought after all.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
FFXVPE is also on PS4/XB1, doesn't need to be Switch specifically.

Square wants mobile games for a reason, that's the platform where nickel & diming consumers is the most rampant.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Not every game in the entire world needs to go on the Nintendo Switch. Not every game can be released on the Nintendo Switch. And, in Dark Road's case, not every game should release on the Nintendo Switch.

Also the games in the OP are either:

A) Cross-games with other major consoles or,
B) One time purchases

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition did require the user to buy chapters on mobiles but on the various devices it launched on, when it became 'HD', it was a one time purchase. The World Ends With You Final ReMix was a one time purchase as well.

Square Enix wants all of y'alls dollar dollar bills. Kingdom Hearts Union X revenue seems to be drying up so they're throwing a new mobile experience out, with presumably a new power scale, in order to rope people back in to spend, spend, spend. There are also constant almost daily updates (which requires data to download which phones with 3/4/5G can do) to consider.

Any Switch / PS4 / Xbox One release (unless it hits next gen) would require the entire game to be fully completed and repurposed to fit a one time purchase business model, or feature a microtransaction scheme that is acceptable to audiences. KHUX operates on "buy the weekly VIP jewels" to get weekly cash flows, while also starting and ending banners within 4 days with 15 pull guarantee to try and maximise profit. If they do something similar with Dark Road then this doesn't quite translate to a home console release.

Basically, they want money that either a one time purchase scheme doesn't guarantee, and it's easier to get people to buy into microtransactions when there's constant and easy pop ups and power scaling at all times, something hard to translate with a home console release without it being incredibly in your face and offensive.

Noivern

Awards
We are most likely getting a Switch spin off eventually, probably a port of 1.5+2.5 remix, but I doubt Dark Road is releasing there.

We haven't even gotten Dragalia Lost on switch and that's a gacha owned by Nintendo.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I'm shocked that Pokemon Quest is so far the only pokemon/Nintendo mobile title on Switch ATM.

ZeVaine

Awards
It could be somewhat smart to do a DDD sequel over on the switch, since there's precedent with DDD being on the DS.

Switch games are still real full games though, and like MATGSY said, the mobile development scene is the cheapest and typically most profit producing scene to make games right now.

pssst

I think it’s extremely likely for a DDD2 or a BBS2 to come out on Switch. KH has always been spread across the marketplace like that, and I think a game or two on the Switch or a console GaaS title would be a good bridge over to KH4.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The situation has changed somewhat for side games since the DS/PSP/3DS years. Mobile is the new domain for them now. The HD collections now set the expectation that any spin-off on another console/handheld will inevitably come to PlayStation anyway and many fans would be inclined to wait.

There's basically no real reason to have a Switch exclusive game when it could just as well be multiplatform. But then at that point people would complain that Switch is holding the game back from as good as it could be on PS5/XBSX. Nintendo's kinda screwed on 3rd party support.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
If anything, the switch might get UX when the story will be fully over.
That files under "could just as well be multiplatform/PS4/PS4". I think the better chance is something multiplayer heavy like a Days remake, where multiple Switches in LAN play is a desired function.

Id settle for any kingdom hearts/ final fantasy game on switch
What im hoping for is ff6 with kefka and ff7 remaster with cloud on the switch
There's quite a number of FF games on Switch already, including the original 7. Lord knows by the time the remake is actually finished, we'll be on Super Switch 2 Advance U or whatever & porting it will be a non-issue by then.

GreyouTT

Awards
The situation has changed somewhat for side games since the DS/PSP/3DS years. Mobile is the new domain for them now. The HD collections now set the expectation that any spin-off on another console/handheld will inevitably come to PlayStation anyway and many fans would be inclined to wait.

There's basically no real reason to have a Switch exclusive game when it could just as well be multiplatform. But then at that point people would complain that Switch is holding the game back from as good as it could be on PS5/XBSX. Nintendo's kinda screwed on 3rd party support.

Not to mention the main reason for the non-numbered games being on handheld was because they were way cheaper to make. Switch is an HD console, not just a portable.

yuyayuzu

Awards
I prefer steam but mobile game concept is different from console one so I doubt it will be released on switch

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
We haven't seen Dark Roads, but it could very well just be another KHUx, but with Xehanort (in terms of gameplay and visuals). Which leads me to discuss: you can't honestly compare Pocket Edition and Solo Remix with Pocket Edition HD and Final Remix.
  • Pocket Edition was first released as a "buy every chapter individually" or "buy them all at once". Then it was repurposed into a more "console adequate" experience, reason as to why the Switch got it.
  • Solo Remix is a mobile version of TWEWY. Final Remix is a more proper console version of Solo Remix that is more akin to the original game on Nintendo DS. Again, the reason the Switch got Final Remix is because it was repurposed.
What I'm trying to say here is: the Switch did not get mobile games: it got mobile games repurposed into console games. And the point here is: depending on how Dark Road works out, it may or may not be repurposed into a console experience.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
We haven't seen Dark Roads, but it could very well just be another KHUx, but with Xehanort (in terms of gameplay and visuals). Which leads me to discuss: you can't honestly compare Pocket Edition and Solo Remix with Pocket Edition HD and Final Remix.
  • Pocket Edition was first released as a "buy every chapter individually" or "buy them all at once". Then it was repurposed into a more "console adequate" experience, reason as to why the Switch got it.
  • Solo Remix is a mobile version of TWEWY. Final Remix is a more proper console version of Solo Remix that is more akin to the original game on Nintendo DS. Again, the reason the Switch got Final Remix is because it was repurposed.
What I'm trying to say here is: the Switch did not get mobile games: it got mobile games repurposed into console games. And the point here is: depending on how Dark Road works out, it may or may not be repurposed into a console experience.
& PE was based on what was originally a console game anyway. The original Coded & FF Dimensions are probably the better frame of reference, but they are also older mobile games that were part of a different era in mobile gaming.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
& PE was based on what was originally a console game anyway. The original Coded & FF Dimensions are probably the better frame of reference, but they are also older mobile games that were part of a different era in mobile gaming.
Correct. Same goes with FINAL FANTASY IV The After Years. It was first a mobile game with chapters released on a monthly basis, then it was ported the same way for the Nintendo Wii, then it was repurposed and remade for the PSP and then the more recent mobile version is based on the 3D remake (can't remember if it made it to the 3DS eShop).

Back