• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What are some good places to visit in the UK?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabo

The boy who blocked his own shot
Or Europe in general. I'm going there for school for six months starting this Friday, but I've got no real tourist destinations in mind as of yet.

Nov

Awards
Well, if you're going to the UK, London is a must: great culture, nice history, good shopping possibilities and so on, however, rather expensive. Manchester could also be nice and I've heard that Edinburgh in Scotland is great as well. But those who live in the UK probably know better as I've only been to London.

About Europe in general... I don't really know about your budget, time or other restrictions and well, it kind of depends on what you want as well so I'm just throwing some suggestions for you.

Vienna, Rome (and other big cities in Italy, like Florence), Budapest and Prague for example are great if you're interested in history and culture.

Paris is a quite traditional traveling destination and brilliant if you're interested in sightseeing and you could visit Euro Disneyland while there. I don't know where you're heading in the UK but it's relatively easy to get to Paris from London by train, though rather expensive. Paris is also the most visited city in Europe traveling wise so it's quite foolproof. So, you can't go wrong with Paris though from my personal experience, the people living there might appear a bit rude as they're quite fed up with tourists. And it doesn't hurt if you know some French as well.

Barcelona, Madrid and Berlin, on the other hand are quite "safe" destinations as they offer something for everyone: night life, culture, history, shopping and so on.

Switzerland (Zurich and Bern for example) is brilliant if you're interested in beautiful landscapes etc. but I've heard that it's a pretty expensive place as well. I haven't visited the place so I can't tell.

And then there are Copenhagen and Stockholm that are quite trendy, stylish cities albeit they might be better places to visit during the summer.

And of course, there's also Brussels, Amsterdam, Dublin... but I don't know about those so much.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
London is a must. To experience the best of the UK I'd suggest Stratford-Upon-Avon/Warwick, Bath and York or anywhere in the Cotswolds (i.e. the G-spot of England). Also try and go to the south coast (Cornwall and Devon are beautiful). Aside from London, I think Bristol and Edinburgh are the best big cities.

Paris has to be done, it's extremely expensive, but definitely worth it.

As for Spain, Barcelona is my favourite city in terms of atmosphere. Italy has an amazing culture, and it's nearly always temperate - I personally think Florence and Rome are the best (I recently went to Venice but you can probably do it in less than a weekend).

It would be great if you could make it down to Istanbul - it's kind of the border between European and Asian culture, and it's a pretty cool place.

St Petersburg is somewhere I really want to go, but I haven't quite reconciled myself to the fact that it's always bloody freezing. I've been told that Vienna has gone downhill recently, but I'm still planning to go.

Avoid Amsterdam and Prague unless you want to visit strip clubs...
I'd also say you can forgo Portugal and Germany - but that's just my personal opinion. Greece can be great if you avoid the touristy places.

Gabo

The boy who blocked his own shot
Well, London is a given. I've visited Winsidor and Oxford so far and I plan on visiting Cambridge, Exeter, Bath, Stonehenge and a few other places I can't quite remember right now.

International travel, I plan on visiting Sweden, Germany, France, and the Netherlands. I've got a few cities in mind, but I'm making two trips through Europe, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing during the second trip, but my cities of choice for the first round will be Stockholm, Berlin, Paris and Amsterdam.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
In heading to London, make sure to visit somewhere up north. People always go to the centre and south, but the northern areas get basically forgotten in the mind of tourists, and not really for any good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back