• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Did Kingdom Hearts II do wrong?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

noheartx

KH2 was way too easy. The only thing in this game that was a challenge was Xaldin. And that grounshaker thing. The plot itself wasn't bad. I liked that. But the script was bad. Very bad. Also they tried to kill off Goofy. YOU DON'T KILL GOOFY. EVAR!

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
-Sora's character gone through a regression. The distinctions that made Sora a better character in the first game were not highlighted nor intensified (which would have gone in the way of great character development). The faults the KH1 Sora had that were outweighed by the more positive aspects wasn't the case in the second game.

-The worlds weren't as explore-able nor as puzzling in comparison to what we were told.

-The seriousness of the theme and tone of the game that was set by the secret endings weren't as upheld.

-Namine

-Kairi wielding a keyblade. Honestly, there should have been a more creative way for making her useful and prominent to the plot.
-Disney characters (with the exception of Mickey, Maleficent and Pete) weren't as involved with the grand scheme of things... It's like their lives and their homes became victimized as villains meddled, creating a catalyst for Sora to show up and save the day.

-Gameplay was broken in certain aspects.

-Thousand Heartless battle wasn't nearly as suspenseful as interviews and old cutscenes implied.

I believe I've addressed most of the points. I do, however, enjoy the fast paced gameplay and its fluidity. KH2 wasn't entirely a fail. Several of the mini-games were enjoyable and the the underworld tournaments probably held the most gameplay depth in the entire game...

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
As fun as the forms were, it made the game way too easy

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Sora was dumbed down way too much even though it was revealed that it was all just an act on Sora's part, but that is still no excuse for the stupidity that left Sora's mouth every moment.

When was this mentioned?
Untitled-1.png

Bobjam

Awards
Damn Atlantica Minigames =(......no more mini games !

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
When was this mentioned?
Untitled-1.png

Did it need to be. We would see Sora suck in his sadness and act goofy only a few seconds later. First time we see it happen is when he starts crying before getting on the train to the Mysterious Tower. He stays pretty upset until they arrive at the Tower.

The second time that I can remember clearly is when there is the 1000 Heartless attack. When he finds out that Goofy is "dead" he flips his shit (not as bad as Mickey). Then he finds out Kairi is in danger and that he is helping the Organization by killing Heartless, he gets angry, loses hope, pounds his fists in the ground. Donald and Goofy stop him from doing so, then after Maleficent saves them, you see him in that Corridor feeling hopeless and confused.

I also feel like Donald and Goofy periodically told Sora to chin up and smile.

I think at the end of KHII it is very telling of how Sora was feeling throughout the game when he confronts Xemnas about how there are more feelings than just anger and rage. If you pay attention to the clues in the game (Sora's illogical anger and hate of the Org, the momentary bouts of hopelessness, his frustration at being unable to find Riku) you could piece together that Sora was feeling these same emotions, but unlike Xemnas he learned that there is always hope and not to give up.

We already know Xehanort and Sora are practically foils to one another, but a lot of their actions are the same and lead to different end results. This was just an example of that, and helped to show that Sora wasn't really that happy-go-lucky as he acted.

There are more scenes but I'm at school so I can't find anymore examples.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
Did it need to be. We would see Sora suck in his sadness and act goofy only a few seconds later. First time we see it happen is when he starts crying before getting on the train to the Mysterious Tower. He stays pretty upset until they arrive at the Tower.

I actually think those were Roxas' feelings flowing through Sora as he says goodbye to the bunch(why would sora cry for people who just met? the bond between them was ignited by Roxas)

The second time that I can remember clearly is when there is the 1000 Heartless attack. When he finds out that Goofy is "dead" he flips his shit (not as bad as Mickey). Then he finds out Kairi is in danger and that he is helping the Organization by killing Heartless, he gets angry, loses hope, pounds his fists in the ground. Donald and Goofy stop him from doing so, then after Maleficent saves them, you see him in that Corridor feeling hopeless and confused.

Well yeah,you'd think that all the bad news would make anyone sad.Even the most cheerful character.Besides that;knowing that he was helping the organization would made it seem like all his work was done for the bad guys,he was tricked and became sad.

I also feel like Donald and Goofy periodically told Sora to chin up and smile.

You could say the same thing about the first scene between Sora donald and goofy in KH1

I think at the end of KHII it is very telling of how Sora was feeling throughout the game when he confronts Xemnas about how there are more feelings than just anger and rage. If you pay attention to the clues in the game (Sora's illogical anger and hate of the Org, the momentary bouts of hopelessness, his frustration at being unable to find Riku) you could piece together that Sora was feeling these same emotions, but unlike Xemnas he learned that there is always hope and not to give up.

We already know Xehanort and Sora are practically foils to one another, but a lot of their actions are the same and lead to different end results. This was just an example of that, and helped to show that Sora wasn't really that happy-go-lucky as he acted.

I think that -to some extent- Sora had the pressure of everyone relying on him to be the hero at the end and save the day,when he did something wrong or failed to achieve his goal,he must've thought that he let his friends down.It doesn't necessarily mean that he was depressed through out the whole game.Maybe in specific scenes like the one's that you've mentioned but with the reasons that i've provided.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards
I felt the only glaring flaws in the game were the difficulty and the drawn out tutorial (god, I HATE Roxas!)

The story could have been better, like I wish that the Disney worlds had more relevance to the overall plot of the storyline (Space Paranoids and Beast's Castle were basically the only worlds with any relevance), but what I enjoy most about the Disney worlds are the interactions with the characters, and the interactions were executed very well IMO.

People constantly harp on the gameplay, but I don't see what the problem is other than the difficulty being too easy, even on Proud Mode. It took the gameplay of the original Kingdom Hearts, and took it to the next level. It could have been handled better, like making it to where it didn't make the game too easy (though it was really the enemies' crappy AI that made it easy). However, I'm fine with how it turned out. Overall, I found KH2 to be my favorite in the series, but its not like I find it to be a lot better than KH1.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
The script wasn't strong at all. Sora was dumbed down way too much even though it was revealed that it was all just an act on Sora's part, but that is still no excuse for the stupidity that left Sora's mouth every moment.

When and where was it revealed that Sora's stupidity was just an act???

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Despite all the popular hate KH2 wasn't necessarily awful...it just disappointed me. Too much hype perhaps? Or the fact I can't help comparing it to KH1. The gameplay, I admit, was fun but sometimes you wanted a challenge but the enemies didn't deliver one single bit. Not to mention the reaction commands were annoying after awhile....plus the occasional (more often than not) button mashing. But that's not where I was disappointed.

The story itself felt weaker than KH. The disney worlds, and I always repeat myself when topics like these are brought up, were just filler. Unlike in KH1 where the Disney worlds weren't only disney plots but tied back to the overall plot, KH2's disney plots were literally just Sora, Donald, and Goofy arriving somewhere and bonking shit up. Just wanting to get involved with whatever instead of finding themselves sort of in the middle of it like in KH1. They went out of their trying not to meddle in KH1 but in KH2 its like a mission to making their presence in the disney worlds seem so damn forced. In KH1 when they entered a world it felt like they became apart of the story rather than being meddling spectators.

And the way they handled the FF characters weren't so favorable to me either, though I doubt everyone feels this way. I mean in KH1 Leon and the group had a purpose, they weren't only eye-candy/fanservice. They justified their presence. But in KH2 it was almost fanficish. Setzer, Seifer, Fuu, etc. etc. They could have been handled better. What if Sora, Donald, and Goofy couldn't reach such and such a place like say example, The World that Never Was, why not justify Setzer's presence by having him offer to take them there similar to one of his actions in his respective game? I mean they could have been a lot more creative with the cameos is all.

The organization. Individually they are pretty interesting characters to follow. But when you look at these goons as a unit. They bonking fail. What the hell do they do? Sit in a castle, go cause trouble in another disney villains world, and just get bonked up by Sora. What the hell in your existence did you accomplish Luxurd besides having one of the most smexiest voices in the entire Org., no homo? The whole thought of an organization of baddies wouldn't have been bad if they hadn't made them look like some sort of failed gang. They could have done a better job being a rival gang for Setzer and Hayner's gangs. They were not intimidating. Only Xemnas, Saix (maybe), and Xigbar really got work done in KH2 from what I remember. Xaldin spent the most of his good years creepin' Beast. I mean...come on. The dude doesn't wanna be a heartless, calm your dreads. We don't even know what the hell they want in KH2 once you think about it? Sure they wanted KH to get their hearts back but what the hell happens after that? Send everyone fruit baskets and apologize for your behavior? For beings that are supposed to be logical they made no type of sense. Yes I may be missing some points here concerning them but even taking those points into consideration....what did they accomplish? What havoc did they reap besides disturbing the mother-bonking peace? Misdemeanors at best.

And Sora's maturity. He went from being a character with some depth to being a clueless hero he just swung his key around earning Xigbar's burn, "You're not even half the hero the others were..." I know he lost all his memories of castle oblivion where a lot of his growing up happened but come on...he should be thinking like he was in KH1 not the way he was in BBS and still running races with Riku waiting for his dad to come pick him up.

Dross263

The game was too easy and the scripts were terrible ("Sora, Donald & Goofy", memorize that line and you know half the game scripts lol)

blueheart

Bronze Member
1. The more important a character was, the less screen time he had. Riku, not seen until the last world. Diz, disappeared after Roxas prologue. The Organization for being the main antagonists, were barely there for most of it.

This was the most frustrating thing about the game for me. They really didn't level it out with the mini disney worlds plots and the main plot. It was annoying that they left you with a billion questions about the hidden characters, but then you only find out about some of the answers in the last half hour of the game. You barely see DiZ, Xemnas, Mickey, or Riku in the whole game. At least in KH1, you sometimes were rewarded with a little treat and got to see what the villains were up to with their little cutscenes. In KH2, you got no break from the optimistic-trio-of-light-and-disney-Sora, Donald, and Goofy-cutscenes, even though this time they were more obnoxious, and had more cutscenes of there own.

Izayoi

galactic cancer
oh man seeing Maleficent and them now and then was awesome. Her showing up with Hades and Jafar in their respective worlds right after Sora left the area? That's damn spooky and awesome.

her conveniently showing up just to revive them, not so much

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
I actually believe Riku was one of the few things KH2 did do correctly. If Riku was present all the damn time, the suspense for his prominence toward the end would have been lesser. Riku's growth as a character was momentous. He probably represents the most human out of all of the main cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back