• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What do your shortcuts look like?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Just thought this'd be interesting.

So, you can assign shortcuts to your magic spells in KH1, KH2, and KH0.2 - are there buttons that are always assigned to a specific button throughout the games? If yes, why?

For KH2, my shortcuts look like this:

- Triangle: Cure (simply because triangle is green, lol)
- Rectangle: Reflect (since it's also the block/guard button)
- X: Fire/Magnet (x is always the spell I use to deal with crowds)
- Circle: Thunder (no clue, I just like it)

0.2 looks like this:

- Triangle: Cure (again, because triangle is green)
- Rectangle: Blizzard (no reason)
- X: Thunder (again, crowds)
- Circle: Fire (circle is red)

What do your setups look like?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Oh, well, it kinda depends, cause I choose my spells according to the situation.
I'm basing this on the japanese version, where you jump with X and attack with circle:

KH1:
Circle: Cure (fast switch from attack)
Triangle: Stop (so i can keep it where it is)
Square: Aero / Thunder / Blizzard / Gravity (mainly cause aero -> defensive, just like a block)
Problem about KH1 is, I need stop almost all the time after getting it, so that leaves me with only one free spot. For grinding purposes, I might switch it with thunder so I can use both gravity and thunder, but...nah, usually I don't and just accept that I can only use one of those two.

KH2:
Circle: Cure / Fire (Cure for fast shortcut from attack to heal, fire for fast shortcut from attack to fire finisher)
Triangle: Magnet / Thunder
Square: Reflect / Blizzard (reflect cause square is dodge / block)
X: Blizzard / Cure
Well, this on is more difficult to explain.
There are fights where I need cure, blizzard and reflect - maybe even thunder (looking at you, Roxas. Also you, Barbossa), but there are also fights where thunder or blizzard are useless and I need fire and magnet instead. So I really gotta switch these around a lot according to the situation, and there are some spells I'm just not comfortable with in certain spots (like fire on X, that's why I put cure there if I really need fire).

I don't think I ever switched the shortcuts in 0.2, lol.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
KH1:

X - Cure (same reason as Void, but I'm on the Western version)
Triangle - Fire (Aero for some fights)
Square - alternate between Thunder and Blizzard, Stop when I have it and I need it

KH II:

X - Cure
Triangle - Blizzard
Square - Thunder, Reflex when I have it
Circle - Fire

I don't have a particular shortcut for 0.2 yet.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
KH1:
X - Cure
Triangle - Aero
Square - Thunder

KH II:

X - Cure
Triangle - Fire
Square - Magnet
Circle - Thunder

I usually don't use magic in KH2 at all. It's that useless.

Precursor Mar

KH1:

X: Cure (It isn't KH1 without Cure spam so I assign it to the button I'm mashing for the entire game)
Square: Fire (Square/Circle is my preferred place for projectiles since I use them often and they're closest to the X button)
Triangle: Aero (I usually fall back to a safe area before casting these type of spells, since Triangle is farthest from X, it's the best place for it)

KH2:

X: Reflect (same reason as KH1 Cure)
Square: Magnet (I always use it as part of a combo or with Finishing Plus)
Circle: Blizzard (Always gotta have a projectile spell to compensate any lack of reach)
Triangle: Thunder (Tend to save this one either for sniping faraway enemies or as a follow-up to Magnet)

I used the default shortcuts for 0.2.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
KH1:

X - Blizzard/Gravity
^ - Items/Aero
ロ - Cure

KH 2:

X - Reflect
^ - Items/Magnet
ロ - Cure
O - Magnet/Thunder

Depends where I'm in the game. For KH1 I always have Aero with me and Gravity is my favorite attack spell. For KH2 I like to have Magnet and Reflect always with me, and Thunder is my go to attack spell there since it's good for sniping from distance. Cure is always
ロ and items on ^ for every game. For JP KH1 X & O are reversed of course, but in KH2 I still use the same setup even with the buttons reversed. Not sure why. Just happened that way.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
KH1:

X - Blizzard/Gravity
^ - Items/Aero
ロ - Cure

KH 2:

X - Reflect
^ - Items/Magnet
ロ - Cure
O - Magnet/Thunder

Depends where I'm in the game. For KH1 I always have Aero with me and Gravity is my favorite attack spell. For KH2 I like to have Magnet and Reflect always with me, and Thunder is my go to attack spell there since it's good for sniping from distance. Cure is always
ロ and items on ^ for every game. For JP KH1 X & O are reversed of course, but in KH2 I still use the same setup even with the buttons reversed. Not sure why. Just happened that way.

Oh snap, Items exist.
I got so used to not having any available spots that I kinda just prefer using them manually, but if anything, I've got them on X.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm that one guy that will save even normal Potions so I just don't use them xD

It's like this in every videogame with items. The mere thought that items needs to be bought again while MP can be refilled prevents me to ever use anything.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

It's like this in every videogame with items. The mere thought that items needs to be bought again while MP can be refilled prevents me to ever use anything.

Oh yeah, the constant problem. Final boss? "Not sure if I should REALLY waste my Items. :l"

Elysium

Awards

This is the same way I am. At some point very late in the game, I finally plough through my items because I start wondering what I'm saving them for, lol. Of course, near the end of KH1, I usually sell my potions/hi-potions to the shops so I don't have to deal with not being able to pick something up in the field because of full stock.

@catcake: I used Gravity quite a lot, too; it was my main offensive spell after Thunder. I'd always have my magic drop-down menu fixed so that I could go straight to Gravity. (Except in bosses, when I'd put Summon-Tinker Bell as the first go-to on the drop down).

raccoonscity

Website
raccoonscity.tumblr.com
Usually I make them the same just for consistency, so:

Triangle: Cure (I just like having healing options here in any game, if I can help it)
Square: Fire
Circle: Blizzard / Aero / Items
X: Thunder

Rexy

Bronze Member
It depends on the game itself, but this is an interesting topic bby the way. Let me see:

I use X do Cure, because I attack with x and therefore, to continue pressing the same button I use it.

Usually I use the square button for defensive spells, Aero on kh1 and Reflect on kh2.

In kh 1 I usually use the triangle button for another situation spell, depending between the rest of them.

In kh 2 I usually use circle for aoe spells like fire and use triangle for single target ones, like blizzard. (or triangle for single target items and circle for aoe items, for the entire party)

In kh0.2 I used the default setting

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
@catcake: I used Gravity quite a lot, too; it was my main offensive spell after Thunder. I'd always have my magic drop-down menu fixed so that I could go straight to Gravity. (Except in bosses, when I'd put Summon-Tinker Bell as the first go-to on the drop down).

Oh yeah, I miss that about KH1, hoping they bring it back to KH3. It was so much easier to use magic you don't have on a shortcut when the menu remembered which one you last used. In KH2 I never really use magic from the menu unless I've forgotten to shortcut it for some reason.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Oh yeah, I miss that about KH1, hoping they bring it back to KH3. It was so much easier to use magic you don't have on a shortcut when the menu remembered which one you last used. In KH2 I never really use magic from the menu unless I've forgotten to shortcut it for some reason.

Sure, but then again KH2 had one slot more per default, so no real need for it imo. I found it easier (and faster) to choose the magic menu and know that my cursor is on fire so that if I need blizzard, I have to go one down. No need to remember if the last spell I used was fire, thunder or magnet. xD

I was really happy about the option to "softlock" stuff for one use, though. Made it a lot easier to go into the right drive form or use the right limit in dangerous or fast-paced situations if you could choose it before.

Elysium

Awards
The circle shortcut almost never gets used in my playthroughs. I think because I usually jump before casting a spell and pressing O twice doesn't come naturally. I never put items on X in KH2 either because I press X too quickly and end up accidentally using two items in a row.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Speaking of shortcuts, you know how in KH1 in the Magic Menu using Cure brings up a submenu for who you want to heal? Anyone else find it weird that in 1.5, that same submenu appears when you use Cure as a shortcut? Was that something from Final Mix or was it only in 1.5?

On topic, I always used X for Cure in both KH1 & 2.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Speaking of shortcuts, you know how in KH1 in the Magic Menu using Cure brings up a submenu for who you want to heal? Anyone else find it weird that in 1.5, that same submenu appears when you use Cure as a shortcut? Was that something from Final Mix or was it only in 1.5?

I don't remember vanilla KH1 that well, but I'm pretty sure even there, having cure as a shortcut prompted you to choose the character you want to choose it on.
Automatically casting shortcut-cure on Sora is a KH2-thing as far as i remember.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I don't remember vanilla KH1 that well, but I'm pretty sure even there, having cure as a shortcut prompted you to choose the character you want to choose it on.
Automatically casting shortcut-cure on Sora is a KH2-thing as far as i remember.
Huh. I actually remember it being a thing in the original KH1, or at the very least not having to use the submenu in the shortcuts during the Riku-Ansem fight.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Huh. I actually remember it being a thing in the original KH1, or at the very least not having to use the submenu in the shortcuts during the Riku-Ansem fight.

Nah, the submenu was also there, but it showed only "Sora" as an option. Maybe that's why you didn't notice it, it was a smaller window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back