• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Final Fantasy game did you beat first?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
So, I finally manged to do what I've been putting off for the longest time: beat Final Fantasy VII. I picked the game up via emulation back when it wasn't financially feasible for me to play it through any other medium but only got up to the part where Cait Sith betrays you and you need to go to the Temple of the Ancients. I have since picked up a physical copy (Greatest Hits edition with its garish green trim) last year, but was unable to finish it due to the release of II.5 distracting me for quite a while. It wasn't until March where I began to set some time to pick up where I left off (Yuffie sidequest) and eventually beat the game (with some Bonus Boss battles on II.5 in between). I did everything except do all of the Fort Condor missions and some of the games on the Gold Saucer (I mainly focused on Chocobo Racing and the Battle Square).

Anyways, I just beat the game last night, but this is not necessarily what I wanted to discuss here. What I wanted to hear from everyone is this: which Final Fantasy game did you beat first?

I'll start with mine. VII may have been the most recent one, but it wasn't the first for me. That honor goes to IV. Like VII, I played the game on an emulator (this particular one given to me by an older cousin from the Philippines) and thoroughly enjoyed the game. V and VI were also on there as well, but at the time, I mainly focused on IV whenever I played a Final Fantasy game on there (the emulator came with a whole smorgasbord of games that were released stateside and not from Illusion of Gaia to the infamous DeJap version of Tales of Phantasia). The game had a really great story and I would eventually dedicate one summer trying to beat it -

only for the computer to be replaced with a new one. I didn't have a flash drive/ thumb drive at the time, so I had to do everything from scratch. Eventually, I did get a flash drive and saved my game data on there with a backup on my computer. This didn't really occur until I already had a new laptop and played the game mostly on there. One summer, right after a semester in community college, I finally beat the game having done pretty much everything I could have done on the SNES original (ROM). I...haven't beat the game again since due to getting distracted by other games (as well as owning two versions of the game: the DS remake as well as the PSP version bundled with its sequel, The After Years).

So, which game did you beat first? Any memories in particular that came along with it? Circumstances that made beating the game easier or more difficult? Questions, comments, thoughts?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
My first was very minor embarrassing. It was Final Fantasy; Mystic Quest.

You might go HUH? but up until then, I'd been trying to play Mario and stuff, but my brothers kept snitching the controller. Figured, well, if I can't play a platformer, maybe I could do a RPG without having nosy brothers saying "you suck." and stealing the controller.

I had a lot of fun with it, and it was a decent introduction to the world of RPGs. I still have a soft spot for that game; at the time we had the official strat guide which helped as well. (It's been lost somewhere now). It may be a beginner's rpg, but has a decent story and some really rockin' music too. Maybe I'll fire it up as a ROM later since I don't want to fight for the SNES...

Anyway it's not a hard game, I don't remember much trouble with it except the times where I had to hit the strat guide to figure out a puzzle that wasn't obvious.

It's kinda ironic too considering what games I got into later ;) ^^.

Anagram

Banned
Crisis Core. lmao
I've tried many but I usually didnt' like them to the point of dropping it. I have beat others since then but never liked them all that well. Final Fantasy X was the second game that I actually liked after playing several.

ToriJ

Website
torijreviews.blogspot.com
My first was Final Fantasy VII. Also the first RPG I beat, too. Fitting since it was also my first RPG. I did a run-through where I leveled up two/three times before each boss fight and plowed through the game. I was so proud of myself when I finally beat it. I did it a while back when I was still a teenager, I believe.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
The first one I played was Final Fantasy VIII when I was about 7 years old. It was my step brother's game, and he wouldn't let me play it often, but I was fascinated by how different it was from games I was more used to (Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Tomba 2). I absorbed every second of it I could when I could play, but eventually my Mom divorced and I never saw him again. Never liked him. Liked his games though.

So I save up Christmas and birthday money and go to Wal-Mart sometime the following year to buy FFVIII, and they don't have it. But, they did have Final Fantasy VII, which honestly, I'd never even considered before. "Oh of course, I was playing FFVIII, there must have been at least 7 before it then!" So I decided to give it a whirl, and it gave me a whirl instead. My young self was mesmerized, hooked, and it wouldn't be until a couple years later that I was finally able to push all the way through it and have my life changed forever.

Rexy

Bronze Member
The first ff game that I've beaten was FFXIII. Now i've completed 7, 9, 10/10-2, 12, 13-2, (13-3), both dissidias, crisis core. I never had much joy playing ff but I'll try to beat ir when i'm on "non-job" vacation :/

I really like ff13. I don't like reading all the negative things about the game. Since I went to ff thanks to kingdom hearts I thought that ffxiii was the one more close to both the franchises and I love that (when I started playing ff). Now I know a lot more about ff and I love the fanchise on is own but still. Ffxiii is one of my favorites :)

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
My entry to the Final Fantasy series was trough FFXIII. I was really bad at playing the game. It was my first time playing an JRPG outside of KH(well I did play Pokemon, but FF is kinda more complex... all thou I know Pokemon can go pretty deep... anyway), and it was so different than anything I had played before. My friend helped me trough the game, while telling all sort of fascinating information about the FF-series. Like what Bahamut was and etc.. I even went as far as to plat the game, but that was because I was still a trophy hunter back then. I did not really enjoy the game, but I did not think it was as terrible as other people thought. The graphics were nice etc.. I also though one of Lightnings speeches was good: "Lightning only destroys, it can`t protect anything."
The thing that nagged me about the game, was that because I was so bad at it, I constantly had to rely either to my friend or to the Internet. It was not rely XIII fault, but I felt that I did not really play the game my self.

After that I played VII and IX, and fell in love with the series. Now I have played VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XIII-2, and I plan to play the games before VI. Still waiting for Versus!

aqualight

Funnily enough, the first FF game i ever played was X, and i truly loved it, but the first FF game i actually finished was X-2. I still haven't finished X yet... for some reason i decided to myself that i wouldn't finish the game until i got all of the celestial weapons. That would be fine if i wasn't so lazy about it. First game i got to the end and found that there were things i missed along the way that were now difficult (god fuckin' dark aeons i s2g) so instead i just restarted the game making sure i got all the things i could get along the way. I think i have celestial weapons for tidus, yuna, auron and kimahri, but it's honestly been so long i don't even remember. The biggest problem i had was as soon as i'd start playing the background music was usually so relaxing and nice that i'd end up falling asleep... It's pretty bad it's been so long since i first got it and i still haven't finished (at around 7 years now woo...)

but i don't know what it was about X-2, i obviously didn't hate it like a lot of other people, but i just found it generally easier to get through in that i didn't get stuck on getting particular weapons. The first time i played it i don't even remember really changing their dresspheres at all either... but alas i've finished this game a number of times.

Even XII i've finished, at first i didn't quite understand it and found it too difficult for some reason and i really just couldn't be interested at all in story. After just deciding to get it over and done with i ended up really enjoying the combat, but i was pretty much just ploughing through it to get it over and done with. Maybe when i am done with school i might revisit it if only for the optional bosses.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
My first and only FF was Final Fantasy XIII. I liked the battle system, the music, and the aesthetics. The characters and the story could have used a little bit of work, but as far as "plots that make no sense" go, I've been through worse. Also, the eidolons were badass. I'm kinda sad that everyone and their mother seems to think it's an awful game that's ruined the franchise; it might be because I'm really tolerant of linearity, but I enjoyed it mostly.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I remember seeing VII from the movie theater office room where they had some kid playing games there and I joined in time to time. I didn't know what that game was during that age but always remembered the iconic cover art of Cloud facing the Mako building. It wasn't until two or three years later. I was in the 5th grade and I ended up getting my first Final Fantasy game. I wanted a new game so bad and my brother bought it for me at a Walmart since my parents weren't going to buy it for me. When I went to pick the game I wanted, I chose Final Fantasy 8. Exciting going into the car and remembering opening the case and seeing there were 4 disc (I was thinking it was 4 different games lol). Got home, inserted the game onto my PlayStation and I was spellbind by the its incredible intro.

During my progress, I was stuck by only two boss fights. The first one was against the machine vehicle controlled by Biggs and Wedge during the Missile Launch Station heading towards Balamb Garden. And when I was done with that, Sorceress Adel later. During school, there was a friend that was also into FF8. It got to a point where he told me his 4 disc was messed up and so we ended up having a trade deal. I sent him my Greatest Hits Disc 3 &4 for his Disc 3 and Disc 4 and also Driver. So, I was still stuck against Adel until one Saturday morning went at it again and finally won. Got to Ultimecia Castle and had mostly everything in the way until I challenge Ultimecia a few times. Finally got to her final form; lost a couple of times and until one Summer day finally was able to knock her out by using Irvine's Shot Limit Break. Didn't know about LionHeart at the time. Watching Ultimecia imploding on my screen and then.........

The game froze during the FMV moment. So I had to buy FF8 again to get the last two discs freshly functional. Went at it again and was finally able to watch the ending. The end.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Got Final Fantasy VII as a gift from my father back in late '97. I was only 10 years old at the time and barely spoke any English (I'd been playing video games since I was 7 though so I knew enough to be able to understand what happened in the game at a most basic level). Finished it in early '98. I've obviously beaten it multiple times since.

Rael_Oblivion

The first FF game I ever owned (VII) was not the one I beat first, strangely enough. I actually still haven't beaten it- mostly because my ps2 started messing up and I've been afraid to play it in case it messed up the discs (The remake will be incentive to beat it, I'm hoping. As long as my ps2 stays working). Then I got the GBA re-releases of I, II and IV and beat FF I first, followed by II and IV. I've also beaten X and X-2. Ironically, the two FF games I like the most (VII and XII) are the two I own that I haven't beaten.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Never beaten a Final Fantasy game because I only own one Final Fantasy game I haven't finished yet. But if I do beat the final boss in FFXIII-2, then the game will be the first one I beat.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
How do you like XIII-2? It's such a fun game, imo. The characters are generally good, but the overall plot is a big mess. Then again. FFV is beloved despite having a weak plot but good gameplay, so I feel like this is a similar case.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
How do you like XIII-2? It's such a fun game, imo. The characters are generally good, but the overall plot is a big mess. Then again. FFV is beloved despite having a weak plot but good gameplay, so I feel like this is a similar case.
Agreed. Fun gameplay, horrible plot.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
First Final Fantasy game I ever played was Final Fantasy VIII. Incidentally, it was actually a demo of it that I played from two discs my parents got my sister and I from like, Pizza Hut. It had a bunch of demos for games, but one of the ones that captured me the most was FFVIII. It was beautiful to look at, it was one of my first real experiences with such a mature looking game (I was like... 4? 5?). I enjoyed the demo, especially Rinoa and Zell (odd, to think that Rinoa was in that part of the demo but you actually don't meet her until way later in the game in the final product). That being said, I didn't get this game until much later, so it doesn't count.

The first one I actually beat was either Final Fantasy X or Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. I honestly cannot remember which because I beat both very, very close to each other, but I'm pretty sure it was FFX I beat first. I picked up that game because of KH1 and KH2, and even though it took me like, two years to beat FFX (that final boss doe), it's still one of the most memorable experiences I had. And even though I like X-2's canon ending, FFX has one of the most powerful endings I've ever witnessed in any form of media. Especially since I feel in love with this cast, and it hurt so much.

Crisis Core, however, was one of the first games I beat within a month back when I was like, 13, and rarely beat things that fast (KH being the only exceptions). It sucked me in and never let go, and it was the sole reason I bought a PSP when it released, despite mever having touched the FFVII franchise beforehand. This one, while not quite as stunning as FFX, is still pretty memorable for me, especially with such great characters like Zack, Angeal, Cissnei, and my constant indecisions over whether I shipped Zack/Aerith or Zack/Cloud more than the other (although neither compare to Tifa/Cloud so...).

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Let's see... I first played FFX when I was in middle school, but quit before Tidus even got to Besaid. xD I didn’t even know what it was then because my mother had bought several games to go with the PS2 she gave me for Christmas. After I played Kingdom Hearts, I tried FFX again since I liked Leon/Squall, Yuffie, Aerith, etc. in that game and I found out they came from the FF series. I played through to Sin, but couldn't beat it because I was a very amateur gamer and wasn't capable of beating the last few bosses.

The next game I played was X-2, which I didn't play long after the beginning because all the % points was confusing. Finally, I played FFIX and finished the whole thing in one go; the final bosses were pretty easy. I eventually went back to FFX and beat the ending (using Anima), then finished FFX-2, too, a couple years later. I believe the next game I beat was XII, then I went to the older games and Tactics.

I've played most the games at this point and don't have any problems anymore, but I still haven't seen the ending to FFVIII. Ultimecia would just take so much time considering her HP, I didn't even try. I never finished XIII, and never bought/played III, XI, XIII-2, or XIV.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Let's see... I first played FFX when I was in middle school, but quit before Tidus even got to Besaid. xD I didn’t even know what it was then because my mother had bought several games to go with the PS2 she gave me for Christmas. After I played Kingdom Hearts, I tried FFX again since I liked Leon/Squall, Yuffie, Aerith, etc. in that game and I found out they came from the FF series. I played through to Sin, but couldn't beat it because I was a very amateur gamer and wasn't capable of beating the last few bosses.

The next game I played was X-2, which I didn't play long after the beginning because all the % points was confusing. Finally, I played FFIX and finished the whole thing in one go; the final bosses were pretty easy. I eventually went back to FFX and beat the ending (using Anima), then finished FFX-2, too, a couple years later. I believe the next game I beat was XII, then I went to the older games and Tactics.

I've played most the games at this point and don't have any problems anymore, but I still haven't seen the ending to FFVIII. Ultimecia would just take so much time considering her HP, I didn't even try. I never finished XIII, and never bought/played III, XI, XIII-2, or XIV.

Give it another chance. If you have collected every card from the Triple Triads it'd be even easier. And the Limit Breaks are over powered for that Final Fantasy.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
VIII is super easy to break. Don't level up, but keep on junctioning stuff to raise your stats. Enemies scale to your level, but your stats will obviously be overpowered in comparison as the game gives you access to more powerful magic (but even stocking up on low level spells will give you a great advantage). In short, the game punishes you for levelling up.

Last edited:

χBladeMaster

Destiny Islands, finally winning races against Rik
First game I beat was FF X on emulator a couple of years ago. Simply loved it. Obviously the KH series is what got me into FF, and I looked into FF VII, but my PS 1 emulator wasn't having it for some reason, so I just moved to FF X. I still haven't been able to play VII, but I've beaten I, IV, and VI. Liked IV the best, but both VI and I are superb. I started XII on emulator, but because of frame rate issues I couldn't enjoy it so I stopped. I then started X-II, which wasn't bad, but it was such a drastic deviation from X that I couldn't get into it. I had gotten too used to the Yuna of X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back